Jewel Service Fees

Logbog

Have heard they charge $24 per day whether or not you sign up for this 'option' during online check-in. Also heard that it is near impossible to have it removed. How do you go about doing that? We much prefer to tip the server personally. Old style cruisers.

Have heard they charge $24 per day whether or not you sign up for this 'option' during online check-in. Also heard that it is near impossible to have it removed. How do you go about doing that? We much prefer to tip the server personally. Old style cruisers.

Then you should cruise with the Old style lines :confused: Problem solved !

While that may be your preference, it is not the way it is done on most cruise lines these days. Things are changing throughout the industry.

Have you tried it this way? You may find you enjoy the convenience of not carrying around cash or trying to find the people you want to tip on the last day. You may also find that this is less expensive. Anyway, the only way to remove it is if you have a service problem that cannot be resolved.

I recommend going with the flow, trying this way, and if you find you don't like it, you can try something else your next cruise.

It is pretty much fixed. You should scan down and find some long, sometimes hottly debated discussions about the Daily Service Charge.

It can only be removed for very good reason. Not just because you want to handle it yourself.

Rather than start another long, long heated debate on this again, search this issue for some very recent discussions. There's a bunch of facts and opinions already posted. The question isn't wrong to ask, but does bring out huge quanities of opinionated answers. And the previous answers on this tread do pretty much answer it.

Yes they can be removed, you be will called cheap, uncaring and lots of other things here on CC.

Bottom line you go the desk ask them to remove it, insist they remove it and they will want a reason. By firmly stating you do not believe in tipping they will.

You will be stared at, glowered at and made to feel like a heal, but you can do it. Then you will have scarlet mark entered next to your name and some claim a list goes around. If you tip cash it goes back to this fund anyway.

No good reason in your mind to remove it is accepted here. If you have an issue on the ship you call the hotel director 8888x and he do his best to fix it, that is correct way to show your displeasure.

Now here are some of the CC reasons not too. Your contributing to the whole crew who works so hard, many you never see to tip any other way and think about their families well being how will they survive if everyone did this? These people who do the jobs us rich Americans never would for so little pay 7 days a week, for 10 months aa year all separate from their family's and homes. So now just because you can your cheating them of a better life by being a cheapskate. You knew about the fee's when you booked so just pay it and shut up or do not sail NCL.

© Service Charges: Certain members of Carrier’s crew are compensated by a combination of salary

and incentive programs that are funded in part by the service charge paid by each Guest. The charge ,

which is automatically added to your onboard account and subject to adjustment at your discretion, is

intended to reward service provided in all departments and job categories and is distributed to employees

07/2011 according to Carrier's evaluation of job performance. A portion of the service charge collected by Carrier

is also used for fleet-wide crew welfare programs.

I pay my DSC and tip my room Stewart extra

Interesting. Have done on past two cruises in the last year without issue. Celebrity.

This may be true if you had traditional dining. Celebrity is now offering Select Dining which is their attempt at freestyle. For that you must, in fact, pre-pay your svc chg. and it cannot be touched. You can, of course, tip extra, just like NCL.

They will not even let you into the Select Dining part of the MDR unless they check your cabin number and verify you've prepaid. I had quite the time when I planned a solo dinner for formal night on Silhouette for 8 of us and it was a real hassle getting the hostess to agree to allow one of them to join because they were in traditional and, therefore, not pre-paid. We finally settled on, "I'll make an exception just this once."

Back to NCL but just wanted to clarify, not that we're comparing one line against another.

NCL's system, whether it's Jewel or any other ship, works fine for us.:)

@Logbog (Old style cruiser) -

If I read you right, it is not the money but the method, yes? It might be good for you just to get with the program and let NCL worry about the distribution. And you will still be able to recognize special service "above and beyond" via your comment card. Aw, go ahead and just do it. J.

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

Even though you prefer to tip the server personally, if you remove the $12 per passenger per day charge, then the people you tip personally will have to turn in their tips from you so that they can be shared with the others.

You are unable to tip all those who serve you since some you'll never see (such as laundry workers) and with a different waiter for each of your freestyle meals, I doubt you'll tip at every meal. That's why the billed service charge is so much easier.

So, just leave the charge in place and join the 'new style' cruisers since that is what is now being done on most cruise lines.

Most of the advice given already is just opinion.

The simple facts are that you certainly can remove the DSC. Simply go to the reception desk and inform them you wish to remove the DSC for you and your companion. You do not have to give them a reason. Just kindly ask that they remove it. Stick to your guns and it will be done.

Now for some of my opinion. When you request the removal they might attempt to solicit a reason or make it difficult for you to do. Just tell them you prefer to remove the charge. The moment you give them a reason they will try to talk you out of it. That will in turn make the discussion that much longer and that much more uncomfortable.

Removing the DSC on day 1 is probably the best time to do it. They will take you more seriously and have less reasons to talk you out of it. I advise going straight to the reception desk once you are onboard.

You may find you enjoy the convenience of not carrying around cash or trying to find the people you want to tip on the last day.

Besides, it would be just about impossible to find the people who wash the sheets, towels, and other linens, those who clear and wash the dishes, those who clean the carpet, stairwells, elevators, those who work the service desk, not to mention your room steward, table servers, etc. etc. etc. It is my understanding that the small $12 pp charge is spread out to many.

One reason some cruisers may be confused --what they see online

Here is an example...

This is the kind of stuff that really annoys me.:mad:..I found a site that is promoting a theme cruise on NCL this spring ...and this is what they say...

"Guests should not feel obliged to offer a gratuity for good service. However, all of the staff are encouraged to 'go the extra mile,' and so they are permitted to accept cash gratuities entirely at the discretion of NCL guests who wish to acknowledge particular staff members for exceptional or outstanding service. In other words, there is genuinely no need to tip but you should feel free to do so if you have a desire to acknowledge particular individuals.

Onboard Service Charges are additional. A charge of $12 per person per day will automatically be added to your onboard account. Passengers may freely decide whether to increase, decrease or eliminate it, by communicating their decision to the ship’s Accounting Office before 8:00pm of the final day of the cruise. "

Gee...just "freely decide" to take off the charges...:eek:--..this is just so tacky ...

@Logbog (Old style cruiser) -

If I read you right, it is not the money but the method, yes? It might be good for you just to get with the program and let NCL worry about the distribution. And you will still be able to recognize special service "above and beyond" via your comment card. Aw, go ahead and just do it. J.

via iPod touch and Tapatalk.

Great response!

I find it very interesting OP that you have "heard" the stuff you say you have. And yet haven't "heard" how to remove it.

Your answer is quite simple, go to the front desk on the ship and ask to speak to whoever will allow you to have it removed.

Yes, technically it can be removed. Yes, they will question why you wish this to be done. Yes, they will try and resolve whatever caused the issue in the first place. (which should be easy for you to answer since really there doesn't appear to be an issue except you want money to come directly from your own hands instead of off of your on board account to be pooled with the crew).

Many posters on here (and if searched, the other 3, 4 or 5 threads from the last week) have given you valid reasons why you should reconsider this.

But you will do whatever you want to do anyway, so in the end the choice is yours.

Archived