Princess transfer vs. private car

RaMar

Wondering which private cars people have used? from Airport to London or London to Southampton? Seems like a number of them aren't too bad in prices just curious which ones people have had a decent experience with.

To Southampton from Heathrow (about £90) or Gatwick or central London (about £130) www.westquaycars.com/ or www.smithsforairports.com

are popular with cruisers & frequently recommended on these pages.

But both are based at the Southampton end, so no good for airport to central London.

JB :)

Wondering which private cars people have used? from Airport to London or London to Southampton? Seems like a number of them aren't too bad in prices just curious which ones people have had a decent experience with.

For airport - Central London the benchmark companies for cost and reliability are Simply Airports and Just Airpports. Just Google for an on-line quote, you'll need postcode of your accommodation.

Has anyone used Silverfleet cruise transfer? It's 59 pounds a person for a shared shuttle with 7 other people, door to door. Just wondering if anyone has actually tried it?

We used http://www.london-transfers.com/ for our transfers to & from the airport to London and for a 6 hr. tour of London. Ray was always on time, every single time. In fact, he was 15-20 mins. early each time.

Hi, a bunch of people have mentioned Princess transfers. Are you able to book these in advance? How do you find info about these? I seem to be missing something haha Help!!

I booked it through Princess.com under the Cruise Personalizer. The link is on the right had side of the webpage under something that says "Transfers & _____" I believe. (If you booked through the wesite and not a travel agent....)

Works very well Heathrow - Southampton.

At least half-a-dozen coaches, though that's fewer than at the end of the cruise due to pre-cruise stop-overs. They're spread across the morning & called up from the airport's coach park as required. So you're unlikely to wait more than half-an-hour :)

Though, as an earlier post, if you're first on the coach you may get a tour of the terminals before heading for the port.

Yay!! :rolleyes: :D :cool:

Another question from the newbie :) Wondering about Princess transfers. From Victoria Coach Station to Southampton, is the station a crazy place to be, like am I gonna be mesmerized and confused if i pick this option? The one from the ship, what time does this normally leave? 7am, 9am?? Any help would be great. Thanks

Another question from the newbie :) Wondering about Princess transfers. From Victoria Coach Station to Southampton, is the station a crazy place to be, like am I gonna be mesmerized and confused if i pick this option? The one from the ship, what time does this normally leave? 7am, 9am?? Any help would be great. Thanks

This is Victoria coach station - near, but not part of, Victoria train station.

The place will be full of white National Express coaches, mebbe some deep blue megabus coaches & one or two Euroline coaches, all with illuminated destination boards at the top of their screen.

But your Princess transfer coach will have been chartered in from a private coach company so it will have a totally different livery & shouldn't be difficult to spot. It'll have a Princess board at the bottom of the screen.

Just ask & you'll be directed to where it'll be parked.

At the end of a cruise, coaches leave the cruise terminal from about 08.00. The last (or only) coach for any destination isn't likely to leave before about 08.45. There will be plenty of reps from Princess or their port agents to direct you to your coach.

All very easy, and the system works well

If you are going to take Princess transfers from Victoria Coach station why not go by National Express Coach http://www.nationalexpress.com and save money. They list about 4 stations for Southampton, it is Southampton (coach station). Go a few months in advance of your cruise and check under "Offers" for any discount fares. From the station, take a taxi 5-7 GBP, is only a short distance to the dock.

For Victoria Coach go early as the coaches go on time. Once at the station, check the board for your departure gate. They will call the departure, line up, give your ticket & luggage to the driver. They charge to use the bathrooms at Victoria and Southampton stations. There is a small snack bar.

If you are going directly back to the airport after the cruise, you can use the National Express Coach or Princess transfer. I checked my papers from our Southampton 2009 cruise and Heathrow & Gatwick transfers were 8 & 8:15, transfer to Victoria Coach 8:15 and self disembarkment was 7:15 and 7;30.

Agree with JB here, the regular coach to Southampton's Coach station will be considerably less money than the cruise line one; even with a short taxi station to ship on the Southampton side.

Agree with JB here, the regular coach to Southampton's Coach station will be considerably less money than the cruise line one; even with a short taxi station to ship on the Southampton side.

It was actually Phabric who suggested using a reguar scheduled Nat Express coach from Victoria coach station to Southampton rather than the Princess transfer.

So all three of us agree. :D

(nb - on Nat Express website, select Southampton "coach station". Not "cruise terminal", which only applies to Fred Olsen cruises)

Thanks John Bull, scottbee and phabric, We might just try that out. Wondering what time you can get onto the boat? Also I'm guessing there will be lots of taxis waiting at the coach station to take people to the ships?? Love these boards

Usually you can board the ship about noon, though you'll not have access to your cabin so you'll need to keep hand-luggage with you.

There's a taxi rank at the coach station, as Phabric's post about £5 to £7 to any cruise terminal.

Do check the luggage restriction/excess charge on National Express' website. It's recently been tightened, so nobody yet knows the effect if you're carrying excess luggage.

No restriction on Princess transfers.

Usually you can board the ship about noon, though you'll not have access to your cabin so you'll need to keep hand-luggage with you

Some cruiselines make you wait until a certain time with your hand luggage until the cabins are available. Most people go and have lunch once they embark and they have their hand luggage with them until it is announced that the cabins are available.

Princess does not let you on the ship until the cabins are available so when you embark on the ship you can go directly to your cabin.

There will be taxis available at the station.

Princess states from 1pm-4pm for embarkment. We have been there between 11:30-12 and got on. It all depends how fast they can get the ship ready for the next cruise. If you are early, you wait inside the cruise terminal.

Princess transfers are about $49 pp.

There are Princess reps by the door you go out to board the bus.

check in with them, someone will take your luggage there,

your number will be called to board your bus. no worry, but it is very busy.

next time you see your luggage is in your cabin, so take your carry on with you on the bus.

princess transfer only on cruise day, but other coaches from victoria station the other days-to bus station in southampton-taxi to ship from there.

we were told to come to coach staion between 11-11:30 am-depart for ship by 12 noon

I'm not sure how it works from LHR.

princess transfer only on cruise day, but other coaches from victoria station the other days-to bus station in southampton-taxi to ship from there.

we were told to come to coach staion between 11-11:30 am-depart for ship by 12 noon

I'm not sure how it works from LHR.

I have decided to book our air right into Southampton. Costs a bit more, but don't have to mess with the coach transfer. Disembarkation, we will leave from LHR and either use Princess transfer. And U have also booked Premier West Quay for one night too.

We used National Coach last May from SOU into Victoria, but that time we were staying a few days.

I have decided to book our air right into Southampton. Costs a bit more, but don't have to mess with the coach transfer. Disembarkation, we will leave from LHR and either use Princess transfer. And U have also booked Premier West Quay for one night too.

We used National Coach last May from SOU into Victoria, but that time we were staying a few days.

it's generally faster to take a non-stop into Heathrow, and then the coach to Southampton, than a 1hr change at another airport (likely CDG) to catch a shortish commuter flight to SOU. To each their own.

Southampton airport is about 8 miles from the port.

There's a train station at the airport, trains about every 15 mins direct to Southampton central, £3 to £4 pp. You may care to walk from the station to the Premier Inn West Quay, or a taxi about £5.

Or a cab from the rank at the airport to hotel about £18 - £20, any saving by pre-booking isn't really worth the hassle.

Unusually, your Princess ship is scheduled to berth at City Cruise Terminal, which is ideal from Premier Inn West Quay. Pretty easy on foot even with luggage, its closer than the rail station.

How early are the Princess reps at Heathrow for boarding the transfer buses? Our flight gets in at 8am. :o

Airport formalities take about 60 mins, so you should enter the arrivals hall about 09.00 and almost certainly a rep (Princess or their land agent) will be waiting.

The first coach is usually called forward about 09.30. But it will trawl the terminals for passengers, so don't expect to be on the road before about 10.30. Journey time about 90 mins but they don't like coaches arriving quayside before about 12.30.

Airport formalities take about 60 mins, so you should enter the arrivals hall about 09.00 and almost certainly a rep (Princess or their land agent) will be waiting.

The first coach is usually called forward about 09.30. But it will trawl the terminals for passengers, so don't expect to be on the road before about 10.30. Journey time about 90 mins but they don't like coaches arriving quayside before about 12.30.

Wow, good to know! Perhaps we can grab a bite to eat in the airport after we land and kill a bit of time.

Wow, good to know! Perhaps we can grab a bite to eat in the airport after we land and kill a bit of time.

Best check with the rep first, to find out when the last coach will leave that terminal - but in theory you'll have a couple of hours to spare.

I don't know if there's a breakfast place in your arrivals hall, but there'll be plenty by the check-ins

Don't dally too long at the airport, food on the ship is a whole lot cheaper than at the airport ;)

it's generally faster to take a non-stop into Heathrow, and then the coach to Southampton, than a 1hr change at another airport (likely CDG) to catch a shortish commuter flight to SOU. To each their own.

I won't ever go thru CDG again, no matter the price. Just off the Grand and our Engish Captain also swears he won't use CDG. A good place to lose your luggage.

Southampton airport is about 8 miles from the port.

There's a train station at the airport, trains about every 15 mins direct to Southampton central, £3 to £4 pp. You may care to walk from the station to the Premier Inn West Quay, or a taxi about £5.

Or a cab from the rank at the airport to hotel about £18 - £20, any saving by pre-booking isn't really worth the hassle.

Unusually, your Princess ship is scheduled to berth at City Cruise Terminal, which is ideal from Premier Inn West Quay. Pretty easy on foot even with luggage, its closer than the rail station.

Thanks John Bull. You gave me excellent info last year re: Coach to Victoria.

Archived