NCL freestyle dining vs. traditional dining?

laxlove6

With Freestyle, I have met many fellow cruisers with whom we really hit it off and then we are able to choose to eat together. That's a true joy!

We have met so many new friends through Cruise Critic and our Roll Calls. We really enjoy getting together with them on cruises and deciding where and when we want to eat each night. We may have big group dinners in the MDR or in a specialty restaurant or only a few of us want to dine together while others dine at a different restaurant. We find it big fun to mix things up all week. It is a big plus for us and freestyle.

Talking about which restaurants and who wants to join us keeps us busy for months on the Roll Call!

The reasons I like traditional dining are:

* I want to know when it is that I am going to be eating. The whole concept of showing up in the dining room before 6pm and getting handed a pager so I can now wait on a table isn't what I want to do on vacation. Having a set dining time is like having a reservation. They know you are coming and they are ready and waiting on you. Standing around with 200 other people holding pagers isn't fun. Even for 10 minutes I find that unacceptable. I would think for the enormous amount of anti-social cruisers this would be even less fun.

I like a relaxed dinner but not a 2.5 hour dinner. If NCL could manage the dining process in such a way that it flows smoothly without long, long waits in-between the courses I might think differently.

About the waiters.....it's not about making a new waiter friend! It's about someone ready and waiting for you, as if they are expecting you and waiting to help you have a great meal. You sit down and someone knows your name. You sit down and someone knows that you like to start your meal with ice tea and sweet-n-low instead of Splenda, it's having someone with a smile ready for YOU. It's personalized attention. That's what we like about assigned dining times... some minimal level of personalized attention.

I like to see the shows in the evening. If my dinner takes 2.5 hours and I'm in the dining room at 5:45 pm I think it's reasonable to think I could make the 8pm show in plenty of time to get a seat. Not on NCL, you can't expect to eat dinner and then make the early show. You might be able to just eek in at 8pm but too bad, by then all the seats in the theater are taken.

I can't stand that my family orders dinner all together but my children's entire meal comes out before I have even finished my appetizer....much less my salad or soup or entree. My meal takes forever to serve but my kids have their food within 6 minutes of sitting down. Even if you say..."hey, please bring my kids food out when mine comes we like to eat together"...is that such a big request?....apparently it is because they can't do it! You eat in traditional dining and everyone's entree comes at the same time.... a darn miracle!

I don't care if I'm seated with strangers. I'm not anti-social. And this doesn't even have anything to do with freestyle. Even at the buffet occasionally it gets so over busy in there, the seating becomes an issue. Most NCL cruisers are very anti social and would be offended if someone asked to sit in the empty seats at their table, because on NCL with Freestyle you don't have to sit with strangers?!?. Not me. I'm not anti social. I like people, I like meeting people. I could care less if I eat dinner with a new couple or new family. Sometimes I run out of things to talk about with my husband. Sometimes chit chat and small talk is fun. On vacation I like it!

Mainly I don't ever want to be handed a pager and have to wait for a table. Even for 10 minutes, that's unacceptable to me when I know it can run better. I want the table waiting on ME, not me waiting on the table. And also a 2.5 hour meal is too long....especially when there are 200 people waiting outside the dining room holding pagers!!

NCL Freestyle has been around a good long time now. Its beyond time that they should have worked out these basic kinks. Nope. These kinks must be accepted as a big part of the Freestyle experience. I want a better run dining experience.

We must cruise at different times of year or something. I have never had to wait for a table. I was once handed a pager but they called me back before i could turn around with it. I love the shows and have never failed to coordinate my dining time with getting to the theater in time to get a good seat.

I love to have people join my table in the buffet! But if we don't hit it off, I don't have to see them again the next day. If we do, we can!

I would also hate it if our entrees came at different times - happens to me at home sometimes and drives me crazy. But that's never happened to me either. :confused:

I would love for my waiter to remember that I want Splenda, but I don't expect him to tease me about it. "Oh, yeah, you're the woman who makes me go get a different kind of sweetener." :( Reminded me of eating at Durgin Park in Boston when I was a kid. As I said, I am sure he was unusual, but it is what I associate with traditional dining.

* I want to know when it is that I am going to be eating. The whole concept of showing up in the dining room before 6pm and getting handed a pager so I can now wait on a table isn't what I want to do on vacation. Having a set dining time is like having a reservation. They know you are coming and they are ready and waiting on you. Standing around with 200 other people holding pagers isn't fun. Even for 10 minutes I find that unacceptable. I would think for the enormous amount of anti-social cruisers this would be even less fun.

I like a relaxed dinner but not a 2.5 hour dinner. If NCL could manage the dining process in such a way that it flows smoothly without long, long waits in-between the courses I might think differently.

About the waiters.....it's not about making a new waiter friend! It's about someone ready and waiting for you, as if they are expecting you and waiting to help you have a great meal. You sit down and someone knows your name. You sit down and someone knows that you like to start your meal with ice tea and sweet-n-low instead of Splenda, it's having someone with a smile ready for YOU. It's personalized attention. That's what we like about assigned dining times... some minimal level of personalized attention.

I like to see the shows in the evening. If my dinner takes 2.5 hours and I'm in the dining room at 5:45 pm I think it's reasonable to think I could make the 8pm show in plenty of time to get a seat. Not on NCL, you can't expect to eat dinner and then make the early show. You might be able to just eek in at 8pm but too bad, by then all the seats in the theater are taken.

I can't stand that my family orders dinner all together but my children's entire meal comes out before I have even finished my appetizer....much less my salad or soup or entree. My meal takes forever to serve but my kids have their food within 6 minutes of sitting down. Even if you say..."hey, please bring my kids food out when mine comes we like to eat together"...is that such a big request?....apparently it is because they can't do it! You eat in traditional dining and everyone's entree comes at the same time.... a darn miracle!

I don't care if I'm seated with strangers. I'm not anti-social. And this doesn't even have anything to do with freestyle. Even at the buffet occasionally it gets so over busy in there, the seating becomes an issue. Most NCL cruisers are very anti social and would be offended if someone asked to sit in the empty seats at their table, because on NCL with Freestyle you don't have to sit with strangers?!?. Not me. I'm not anti social. I like people, I like meeting people. I could care less if I eat dinner with a new couple or new family. Sometimes I run out of things to talk about with my husband. Sometimes chit chat and small talk is fun. On vacation I like it!

Mainly I don't ever want to be handed a pager and have to wait for a table. Even for 10 minutes, that's unacceptable to me when I know it can run better. I want the table waiting on ME, not me waiting on the table. And also a 2.5 hour meal is too long....especially when there are 200 people waiting outside the dining room holding pagers!!

NCL Freestyle has been around a good long time now. Its beyond time that they should have worked out these basic kinks. Nope. These kinks must be accepted as a big part of the Freestyle experience. I want a better run dining experience.

I've never had a 2.5 hour meal on NCL. I have had LONNNNNGGGGGG meals on CCL especially when you can't leave while the waiters are singing, which is also not my thing.

I usually order a soup or salad and a main and I'm out within 45 minutes, I suppose if I ordered several apps and dessert too, it could stretch out more, but this is another thing I don't like about traditional dining, it takes way too long.

I've also never had to wait for dinner in 6 cruises I've been handed a beeper once and couldn't even get my drink ordered at the bar before it went off. The only time I've seen long lines is when people are trying to get in before the restaurant opens.

That's why there are lots of different lines, not every one is good for every person.

The only time I've seen long lines is when people are trying to get in before the restaurant opens.

Yes, I see this frequently. So, people stop by at opening time and see the long line and get discouraged. If you come 5 minutes later when they have had the chance to seat those who showed up early, you go right in. Why do they line up so early?!?!? :confused:

This is what confuses me about traditional. Just because I had iced tea yesterday, is in no way whatsoever, an indication that I'll have it again this cruise.

The idea that someone would be so presumptuous, is galling.

The only 2.5 hour dinner I've ever had was WITH traditional dining. It was tiresome and we had to forgo dessert in order to make the late shows.

It's unacceptable to wait 10 minutes for a table to open up? Do you ever eat out at home? There are a few thousand people on the ship trying to eat dinner. 10 minutes? Really? NCL I never had to be handed a beeper, just a brief pause at the hostess stand. RCCL I did have to wait, but the line moved fast and it really wasn't a noticeable inconvenience.

I don't like entrees coming out at different times either. I don't see how this is a function unique to freestyle dining/anytime dining. It could happen with traditional dining as well. It just may not have happened to you yet. Sounds like a waiter issue rather than a freestyle issue.

I think when others mind someone sitting down in the buffet area with them, it's not unique to just NCL. NCL people are not anti-social. That's a sweeping generalization that simply isn't true. The friendliest cruise we had was our NCL cruise on the Gem. Each cruise is different. One may be more social than the other. Depends on who you meet.

I guess my bottom line is that I'd like to meet others via my roll call, excursions, etc and then share a dinner or two with them rather than having people assigned to me. A good mix of dinner alone and dinner with those that I click is more enjoyable to us.

I don't disagree with you at all...I prefer Freestyle cruising for the exact reason you just stated....I get to make my own choices of who to sit with.

I just was explaining to those that don't understand how one can prefer traditional dining, that it isn't as bad as what you would expect and that it's prefectly fine that some people like it.

You have to understand that NO THOUGHT goes into Traditional dining. You show up and your table is waiting for you.

Freestyle cruising definitely takes a little more thought. Cruising on NCL makes you have to think...not only what time do I want to dine...who do I want to dine with but which restaurant are we dining at tonight??

Some people don't like to have to make decisions when they are on vacation. Traditional dining requires no brain function what so ever.

Some folks like that.

The bottom line is don't bash anything until you've tried it.

NCL cruisers dislike when people are nay-sayers to Freestyle without having tried it...it works both ways.

I don't mind traditional dining at all. If I have a choice, I choose NCL over any other line...however, if I am on another line, I go with traditional solely because NOBODY does Freestyle like NCL.

My Anytime Dining experiences on Carnival were not good.

Yes, I see this frequently. So, people stop by at opening time and see the long line and get discouraged. If you come 5 minutes later when they have had the chance to seat those who showed up early, you go right in. Why do they line up so early?!?!? :confused:

Well in my defence the day I went early and had to line up was obviously due to one too many tequillas at the tequilla factory or a reading comprehension problem :eek:. I was 15 minutes early instead of what I thought was 15 minutes after they opened. No problem, my fault. But seriously, to our surprise, when the doors did open, it didn't take long at all to seat the crowd that was in front of of us.

This is what confuses me about traditional. Just because I had iced tea yesterday, is in no way whatsoever, an indication that I'll have it again this cruise.

Oh you and me both, my DH doesn't even try to guess at what I may be in the mood for :D. I'm guessing there are a lot of routine people in this world, I just don't happen to be one of them.

This is interesting because just the other day someone my DH works with said that he liked to cruise but "hated sailing on NCL" - he hated eating whenever he wanted and where ever he wanted:) He loved eating at the same time, at the same table, with the same people, and seeing the same wait staff who would remember his likes and dislikes. DH laughed and told him that I preferred NCL for the reasons that he hated it - which is true! I am so "freestyle" that it is hard for me to make it to a reservation anywhere on ship - I always think "why did I make a reservation!" There is so much to see and do, that eating is around everything else, not the main event for me.

Our first cruise experience was with traditional dining. We were placed with our "demographic" - they actually lived in the same county as we did:rolleyes: It was frankly boring! They were also with a large party seated at another table and they would jump up in between courses to go chat and it was obvious that they wanted to be with their group, but traditional dining had dictated otherwise:rolleyes:

Now we have a choice - whatever we feel like eating that night, that is the restaurant we choose - we can eat alone, eat with fellow cruisers, or have "random" people sit with us in a crowded buffet... it is all good, because we get to choose it all.

I think that all the big cruiselines now offer "anytime" dining if you "sign up for it." So there must be something to the trend.

And remeber if you cruise NCL, you can still ask to be put at the same table, at the same time, and maybe the same wait staff every night - you only have to ask:)

;

I think when others mind someone sitting down in the buffet area with them, it's not unique to just NCL. NCL people are not anti-social. That's a sweeping generalization that simply isn't true. The friendliest cruise we had was our NCL cruise on the Gem. Each cruise is different. One may be more social than the other. Depends on who you meet.

I'm thinking that labelling was directed at my quote above about wanting to choosing who I dine with. Apparently wanting to have control on who you eat with is considered anti-social by some. But then again I think labelling, generalizing and name calling is down right rude;)

The idea that someone would be so presumptuous, is galling.

See, these are the kind of posts I'm talking about.

Why do people get so defensive???

It's a personal preference...not a huge deal.

A waiter knowing you like iced tea is NOT presumptuous or galling and NCL doesn't have any kinks to work out.

Good Grief. :rolleyes:

;

I'm thinking that labelling was directed at my quote above about wanting to choosing who I dine with. Apparently wanting to have control on who you eat with is considered anti-social by some. But then again I think labelling, generalizing and name calling is down right rude

Who said or implied that????

This thread needs my two cents like I need another hole in my head, but I'll give my experience anyway. :)

I've had good and not-so-good experiences with traditional dining in the past. Way back in time when my wife and I sailed on the Sovereign of the Seas we met 3 great young couples at our table that we ended up spending a lot of time with on the ship. It was really nice. On our DCL cruise our wait staff followed us from dining room to dining room (they have multiple free dining rooms you rotate through, but at your set time). The wait staff made it a great experience for the 5 kids in our group. One of them was really into broccoli, and another was completely into bacon. After our first night, each time we sat down the first two things that would appear on our table would be a huge plate of broccoli and a huge plate of bacon...even if neither was on the menu. It was great.

Having said that, we've had traditional seatings where we just decided to eat elsewhere because we didn't hit it off with anyone at the table, plus there was a huge time investment in a traditional meal.

We are HUGE fans of freestyle for all the reasons listed here. I prefer to eat when I'm hungry, and at whatever place suits my cravings/mood that night.

Oh jeeh, 2,5 hours for dinner. I would have loved it during our cruise. Mainly our dinners did not last more than 1,5 hour but some were even quicker.

Back on topic. We have only have done 1 cruise (came back last week) and this was on the Norwegian Jade. We loved the freestyle concept. I do not mind sitting with other people but I do not like it to sit with the same bunch of people for 9 evenings at a row. And we like to have dinner when we feel like having dinner and not because somebody tells us to have it at a certain time every night. So I will not say that we will not try the more traditional way of crusing but for our first cruise we loved the freestyle concept.

I actually feel as though traditional dining requires more thought because I have to adhere to a schedule. With Freestyle, I just go where and when my whim takes me. For me, vacation means not having to be any where on a particular schedule unless I choose to make a reservation. But as I said, I understand people liking different styles.

I actually feel as though traditional dining requires more thought because I have to adhere to a schedule. With Freestyle, I just go where and when my whim takes me. For me, vacation means not having to be any where on a particular schedule unless I choose to make a reservation. But as I said, I understand people liking different styles.

That's true if it's just you and maybe a spouse or SO

When you sail with a group and you have to coordinate, it becomes very challenging and difficult if your group is large.

We often sail with a group. It is much more work for sure, however, I personally feel NCL is worth it.

When you sail with a group and you have to coordinate, it becomes very challenging and difficult if your group is large.

We often sail with a group. It is much more work for sure, however, I personally feel NCL is worth it.

I can understand that. I've only cruised with small groups and didn't have a problem, but will be cruising with a much larger group in December and can imagine the communication problems we might have. But, I'll go with the flow.

Our last few cruises have been with large family groups, ranging from 11 to the upcoming 14. We don't really bother with trying to get us all in one place at the same time, although sometimes we'll decide to all go to a restaurant at the same time and wing it. I figure we have plenty of time all day to be together, it's not critical for that 90 minutes

Our last few cruises have been with large family groups, ranging from 11 to the upcoming 14. We don't really bother with trying to get us all in one place at the same time, although sometimes we'll decide to all go to a restaurant at the same time and wing it. I figure we have plenty of time all day to be together, it's not critical for that 90 minutes

Sometimes that is the best way to handle it.

Some like traditional dining, some don't. No one should have to defend their position. On many cruiselines you have a choice between the two. On NCL you don't. I happen to prefer Freestyle but everyone should decide what suits them best. That's why we have choices.

;

I'm thinking that labelling was directed at my quote above about wanting to choosing who I dine with. Apparently wanting to have control on who you eat with is considered anti-social by some. But then again I think labelling, generalizing and name calling is down right rude;)

OK...but let's be honest here. Isn't "rude" just a way to label people and call them names?

I gotta say, we cruise as a sorta group and we don't always eat together. Everyone understands that their are different priorities.

That's why Freestyle works so well for us.

Some like traditional dining, some don't. No one should have to defend their position. On many cruiselines you have a choice between the two. On NCL you don't. I happen to prefer Freestyle but everyone should decide what suits them best. That's why we have choices.

Amen! Very well said!!!!!! :)

Archived