Shopping in St Thomas- help me!

Beachgal528

I have been reading a lot about St. Thomas is the shopping capital of the caribbean. Can someone help elaborate about the shopping?

I see that Havensight is a shopping (mall?) area. Is this area different than downtown shopping? Different than shopping at the port? Where does everyone go to "shop" in St. Thomas. I would appreciate any and all specifics you can give me! ex; how to get to and from these places, cost of taxi, are there beach stops along the way, do the shops really close at 1?

We will be going in May and last time we visited St Thomas we were on a catamaran all day, barely made it back when the ship left! Looking forward to 1/2 day shopping and 1/2 day beach :)

Two main tourists shopping areas. Havensight, whihc is a shopping complex where many of the ships dock, and town. Some of the stores have locations at both places, some just in town. To get the true feel for St. Thomas shop in town.

Cabs are about $5 per person to town.

I have been reading a lot about St. Thomas is the shopping capital of the caribbean. Can someone help elaborate about the shopping?

I see that Havensight is a shopping (mall?) area. Is this area different than downtown shopping? Different than shopping at the port? Where does everyone go to "shop" in St. Thomas. I would appreciate any and all specifics you can give me! ex; how to get to and from these places, cost of taxi, are there beach stops along the way, do the shops really close at 1?

We will be going in May and last time we visited St Thomas we were on a catamaran all day, barely made it back when the ship left! Looking forward to 1/2 day shopping and 1/2 day beach :)

Havensight is one of the two spots where the ships dock. It is a nice little mall, but I highly suggest you take a taxi to downtown. There is a cool market there where you can purchase crafts, t-shirts, souvenirs and etc from the locals. Also, there are tons of traditional jewelry stores, boutiques and etc. You will enjoy it.

How much time should we allow for shopping? The tour we are thinking about allow for either 1,2 or 3 hours of shopping before sightseeing.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I love shopping in downtown Charlottle Amalie. It is my favorite port for shopping and I would allow a few hours. There a are plenty of shops to choose from and also and outside flea market.

Shopping time depends on what you're hoping to buy, I think. It helps if you have an idea of what you'd like to buy so you can better plan which stores to target. These are some tips for navigating "town."

If you're looking for jewelry, the selection can be overwhelming if you don't have a way of narrowing down your parameters. Many designer items are sold exclusively at certain stores. The cruise ship heavily promotes Diamonds International, but there are many other jewelry stores, with Cardow's probably the most popular since it may be the oldest one in town.

If you're looking for locally made items, Palm Passage in town has 3 stores that have unique selections. Gallery St Thomas, Just Imagine, and Fish Face. The Vendors' Plaza (which many people refer to as the flea market) has some items that are produced in the Caribbean, as well as t-shirts, island clothing, knock-off bags, and souvenirs.

For St Thomas souvenirs, the most popular stores are Captain's Corner, Purple Papaya, and Caribana, I think, though many other stores sell souvenirs.

Mr. Tablecloth is THE store for things made of cloth. I love their baby pillowcases, and I bought a friend a brown dresser scarf that she just loves. She may be the last person on earth who uses those things, though.:D

Just a few ideas.

Thanks for the tips! Is there anyplace downtown that we can drop off my dad while we go shopping? We also want to do a tour shopping first, then beach but my dad can't walk or stand long distances but he loves to people watch. Would like to know if downtown offers any outside cafes or benches on sidewalks?

The Big Kahuna Rum Shack is right on the Waterfront so he can watch the seaplane come in, land, and take off while enjoying drinks and bar food. The Greenhouse is very popular, but it's not sidewalk. Has same view as Big Kahuna. Palm Passage has the largest outdoor bar on St Thomas, but the people watching isn't as good.

I think I got them all!

Yes, definitely shop downtown.....it's adorable with tons of places to wander around. I was also going to highly recommend Big Kahuna Rum Shack for your Dad to hang out and people watch. We go there everytime we are in town to just hang out, people watch and wind down before we head back to the ship!!

May I jump in here and ask for further clarification about "downtown"?

We will be on the Oasis in summer and from what I've read, it docks at a place called Crown Bay. My understanding was that we should take a taxi to Havensight for the shops. Is this correct? I didn't know if Crown Bay has anything in the immediate area for shopping.

Could someone explain where exactly is "downtown" (street names perhaps) and the taxi cost per person from the pier at Crown Bay?

Thanks much!

I'm going to answer both Animal Rescue and Natasha's questions in this reply.

Animal Rescue, there are shops and kiosks at Crown Bay, and if you're not a die hard shopper (like me!), you can probably find everything you might want at Crown Bay.

Town and Havensight do have more shops, bars, and restaurants (plus it's right across the street from the Paradise Point Sky Ride), but between "town" and Havensight, town is closer to Crown Bay and has more stores than Havensight.

The cab fare from Crown Bay to town is approx $4 pp each way, and to Havensight, approx $6 pp each way.

Natasha, the price range on jewelry in St Thomas ranges from $2.99 into the thousands. I love the "value wall" at Little Switzerland, because they have really good quality natural stone and pearl jewelry at really good prices. I wish I had bought their pearl earrings and necklace to match, and probably will at some point. The Captain's Corner stores have funky and kids jewelry that you can get at really good prices. Purple Papaya is another store with a good selection of funky jewelry.

Caribana has some chunky costume jewelry. The Fresh Produce store in the AH Riise Mall has island-made/inspired sea glass jewelry.

At the Natural Livity store, they have Rasta inspired jewelry in red, black, yellow, and green. I bought a really cool top there not too long ago.

There are also a few Pandora stores if you like that line.

No matter what type of jewelry you may be looking for, there's no shortage of it in St Thomas.

Natasha is hoping to find non mass-produced items. There's a new outdoor shopping complex going up on St Thomas, and I've heard a few artists/crafters will be selling their goods there. You might want to check them out if you're docking at Havensight, because it will be within walking distance. Virgin Marleys is the name of it, so far.

Your best chance for locally made items right now is in Palm Passage. Gallery St Thomas, Fish Face, and Just Imagine are there, and they have affordable, Caribbean items. I bought a BEAUTIFUL wood carved, turtle Welcome sign as a gift at Gallery St Thomas for $15, and everybody RAVES about it. Gallery St Thomas also makes gifts using recycled glass. You never know what's you're going to find in that store, because it's all at the whim of the artist's inspiration. I love the cigar box purses they sell, but can't quite figure out what outfit I should carry it with!

As others have said, ships dock at either Havensite or Crown Bay. Downtown Charlotte Amalie is in the middle - a short taxi ride from either dock. We sail on Princess and have docked at both. The night before arriving in St. Thomas, I called the purser's desk to find out which dock and they said they wouldn't know until 4am. Not sure if this is a usual circumstance.

May I jump in here and ask for further clarification about "downtown"?

We will be on the Oasis in summer and from what I've read, it docks at a place called Crown Bay. My understanding was that we should take a taxi to Havensight for the shops. Is this correct? I didn't know if Crown Bay has anything in the immediate area for shopping.

Could someone explain where exactly is "downtown" (street names perhaps) and the taxi cost per person from the pier at Crown Bay?

Thanks much!

As you say, Oasis docks at Crown Bay. Downtown Charlotte Amalie is between Crown Bay and Havensight. I can't think of any reason for you to taxi to Havensight unless there is a particularl store not located either at Crown Bay or downtown that you want to visit.

Crown Bay is a mini Havensight and some of the same shops. Most of the ships at both of these docks have main locations downtown.

St. Thomas has open air surrey sort of taxis into which they load 18 or so people. It's about $6 per person, each way, to go downtown. They will drop you either at the flea market/Little Switzerland, near the Post office or just up from there. Loads off shops. Walk Main Street and all the little alleys.

For the question about do the shops close at 1 P.M? Yes, on Sunday, many do downtown. Many will remain open at Crown Bay and Havensight if there are ships in port.

Archived