gluten free

ardt64

My husband is gluten sensitive not allergic but it certainly messes with his system. He tries to avoid all gluten products (even most soy sauce has wheat in it). We last sailed on MSC and it was great they had a whole gluten free menu for lots of Italians have gluten issues. Does anyone have experience with this on Carnival? We sail in 2 days!

Lisa

My husband is gluten sensitive not allergic but it certainly messes with his system. He tries to avoid all gluten products (even most soy sauce has wheat in it). We last sailed on MSC and it was great they had a whole gluten free menu for lots of Italians have gluten issues. Does anyone have experience with this on Carnival? We sail in 2 days!

Lisa

My daughter needs glutel free too. Carnival does an excellent job with this. The first cruise we contacted special needs and let them know. After that we waited to go to the Maitre D onboard during the hours they are available before we set sail. They have always provided her with gluten free breads and pasta dishes which she says are excellent. Every night someone will come over to you and go over the following nights menu and will take your order. They will make dishes that are not on the menu and will also let you know what is already gluten free. Best thing yet...they will make the warm chocolate melting cake gluten free too.

If you eat breakfast in the dining room they will make pancakes and waffles. Given some notice the pizza place will also make a special pie for you. You can even order a special occasion cake from Carnival.

Your husband should have no problem finding plenty to eat. This is one reason we prefer to sail Carnival. Enjoy your cruise!

I'm glad you asked, as I have learned in the last 6 months that I have a gluten issue. I plan to also bring plenty of fish oil (soothes inflammation) and digestive enzymes (helps break down gluten in some people).

P.S. I have lost plenty of weight since I went gluten free and added coconut oil and fish oil to my daily diet.

What are some good gluten free alcoholic drinks that I might get on my next cruise (I know red wine is good, but what about the fruity drinks)? My DR thinks I may have a mild sensitivity to gluten and suggested I do a gluten free diet, but I haven't done it :o. I notice that my tummy gets really messed up when I drink a couple Blue Moon beers...which are my fave :(. How do you know the gluten level in foods/drinks?

My daughter needs glutel free too. Carnival does an excellent job with this. The first cruise we contacted special needs and let them know. After that we waited to go to the Maitre D onboard during the hours they are available before we set sail. They have always provided her with gluten free breads and pasta dishes which she says are excellent. Every night someone will come over to you and go over the following nights menu and will take your order. They will make dishes that are not on the menu and will also let you know what is already gluten free. Best thing yet...they will make the warm chocolate melting cake gluten free too.

If you eat breakfast in the dining room they will make pancakes and waffles. Given some notice the pizza place will also make a special pie for you. You can even order a special occasion cake from Carnival.

Your husband should have no problem finding plenty to eat. This is one reason we prefer to sail Carnival. Enjoy your cruise!

Thanks so much for the information, he will be so psyched to have the chocolate melting cake (that was one thing he was certainly going to miss). We are doing anytime dining this time so I hope that won't be a big problem.

What are some good gluten free alcoholic drinks that I might get on my next cruise (I know red wine is good, but what about the fruity drinks)? My DR thinks I may have a mild sensitivity to gluten and suggested I do a gluten free diet, but I haven't done it :o. I notice that my tummy gets really messed up when I drink a couple Blue Moon beers...which are my fave :(. How do you know the gluten level in foods/drinks?

Most all beers are have gluten (unless you get a specific gluten free one, which is hard to find) Off hand I cannot think of other drinks or alcohol that have gluten products.

I agree, Carnival does a wonderful job for someone on a gluten free diet. We just sailed on the Valor and like a previous poster said, the hostess showed my husband each evening the next day's menu and he could pick whatever he wanted and they would make it gluten free. He thought everything was really good except for the bread items (pancakes were awful and he didn't think the french toast was very good either). He did try their gluten free pizza and it wasn't bad.

Thanks so much for the information, he will be so psyched to have the chocolate melting cake (that was one thing he was certainly going to miss). We are doing anytime dining this time so I hope that won't be a big problem.

My husband has Celiac Disease and must eat gluten free (he loved their GF choc melting cake). We also had anytime dining and it worked out just fine. We liked the waiters we had the 1st nite so we just requested to be seated in the same area every nite so they were familiar with his GF diet.

Most all beers are have gluten (unless you get a specific gluten free one, which is hard to find) Off hand I cannot think of other drinks or alcohol that have gluten products.

Hubby was a beer drinker before Celiac Disease diagnosis. GF beer is not good (at least we haven't found one). Captain Morgan is his new best friend.:D

What things are especially high in gluten? Breads, beer, pasta...? TIA!

It really doesn't matter the level of gluten - if it contains gluten at all, it's a problem. Gluten is found in wheat, barley and rye. Certain other grains are naturally gluten-free but are grown in rotation with wheat so they tend to be highly cross contaminated. Oats and millet tend to be the most contaminated.

I am traveling in August with, of all people, the doctor who diagnosed my gluten allergy. The nice thing is, all of us traveling together are gluten-free. It makes it easier not to have to look at all the lovely gluten being eaten by the other table mates :-)

My son is GF as well. We sailed on the Spirit this past October- they had plenty of AWESOME choices. Just tell your waiter the first day and they will be sure to accomodate. The very best thing is the Melting Cake- we did the side by side comparison of gluten free and non-gluten free - and you could NOT taste the difference! The bread is decent (especially with a lot of butter) too. Carnival has so many offerings that are naturally gluten free- it makes it easy. And, we would ask for a grilled chicken breast (no bun) on lettuce at the grill by the pool. There is the possibility of cross contamination there- but my son is fortunately not that sensitive. Oh- and the ice cream is always good! Hope you have a wonderful and delicious sailing!

Here is a link to the bar menu. I look over this before I go and see which ingredients might not be safe to have.

Thanks for this post. Our 10 month old DS is gluten free, our choice, until he is at least 1. We know it is best to wait until 2, but it is tough. Glad to know there will be things he can eat other than his normal fruits and veggies! We have gluten free pasta at home which he loves, and we do to, can't tell the difference. Things have come a long way!!!

You might not want to have any whiskeys as most all are made with gluten type grains. Wine coolers are also a no-no, due to the malt in them. Rums should be just fine. I am GF due to celiac disease and sometimes when I cruise I don't always tell them, but try to monitor myself. Their pasta was not bad. Unless their breads have changed in the last 6 months or so, I found them disgusting. They were baking their own, and to me tasted kind of like wet sand. There are many GF breads on the market now that are not bad. I wish Carnival would use some of them. I could bring some of my own, but most of them have to be kept frozen until ready to eat, which creates a problem of storage. Perhaps they have upgraded. I hope so. I will test again on my next cruise in September. Please post and let us know how you find the GF foods to be on your cruise.

You might not want to have any whiskeys as most all are made with gluten type grains. Wine coolers are also a no-no, due to the malt in them. Rums should be just fine. I am GF due to celiac disease and sometimes when I cruise I don't always tell them, but try to monitor myself. Their pasta was not bad. Unless their breads have changed in the last 6 months or so, I found them disgusting. They were baking their own, and to me tasted kind of like wet sand. There are many GF breads on the market now that are not bad. I wish Carnival would use some of them. I could bring some of my own, but most of them have to be kept frozen until ready to eat, which creates a problem of storage. Perhaps they have upgraded. I hope so. I will test again on my next cruise in September. Please post and let us know how you find the GF foods to be on your cruise.

It is believed that the distillation process removes the gluten, so whiskey is safe to drink.

Hubby and I just started eating wheat free and if all goes well, and it currently is, we would like to continue. I was just looking at the menus online and it looks like there are lots of choices for wheat free or gluten free meals. I would estimate almost half the choices so it looks like dinning on the ship will be easy!:)

Archived