Do You Ever Grow Up From The Fun Ship?

regjr13

I'm 32 years old and have been on Carnival multiple times, in fact, moreso then any othe cruise brand. Partially because they are by far, the cheapest line out there, but i see why and because i wanted to party party too. I'm just curious, do you ever get too old or grow up from the "fun ship" mentality? At my age, I'm already kinda tired of the overly drunks, party party type of atmosphere, only 3 classes of service offered, no new innovative ships, same boring orange rooms, etc., that Carnival is synonymous with. Personally, I'm ready for more luxury, upscale cruising, out of the box ships, classier people. I'm I an anomaly? Does this Carnival mantra get old?

I'm 32 years old and have been on Carnival multiple times, in fact, moreso then any othe cruise brand. Partially because they are by far, the cheapest line out there, but i see why and because i wanted to party party too. I'm just curious, do you ever get too old or grow up from the "fun ship" mentality? At my age, I'm already kinda tired of the overly drunks, party party type of atmosphere, only 3 classes of service offered, no new innovative ships, same boring orange rooms, etc., that Carnival is synonymous with. Personally, I'm ready for more luxury, upscale cruising, out of the box ships, classier people. I'm I an anomaly? Does this Carnival mantra get old?

absolutely.

and when it does, that's when you start branching out to other lines.

and you don't have to till you want to.

I'm 51 and have been on 8 Carnival Cruises...

I have never seen bunches of drunks, and if by "Classier" you mean that Carnival's demographic is below your standards, Then I'm guessing you should try another Cruise line.

I think you get what you pay for.

I like what I pay, and always have a great time, and don't worry about how other people are choosing to take their vacation.

What I have noticed on Carnival the last 20 years is a LOT less drunks and a LOT more families. When the Holiday was new 30 years ago, it was like Hedonism II at sea. Today - a Carnival cruise is much closer to Disney World.

Not keen on short crusies anymore as I am retired and have more time. So I look for value on longer itineraries. I don't cruise Carnival during holidays of any kind because there are too many people and kids. Every bed seems to be filled. I like Carnival for the cruises that are longer like Europe itineraries on Dream, Magic and upcoming Breeze and have booked the new South America on the Splendor repositioning. Have done the Carnival Elation Panama Canal repositioning. These type of Carnival cruises are cheaper than other cruise lines. I like the vibe for a change. The longer cruises have an older clientele.

Otherwise I sail mainly Holland America and have done a couple of RCCL.

I like the Carnival comedy, the more lively atmosphere and food is good.

Each cruise line features different activities, style, etc

I'm not usually one to pick apart responses but...

I've been cruising carnival for 16? 17? years. Never saw the overly drunk, party party type of atmosphere. If you want to party, you can. If you want to relax you can. I really feel like theres something for every type of cruiser, which is why I like it. But then again I've never taken a cruise less than 7 days in my life so that may be why.

I'm not sure what you mean by 3 classes of service offered.

No new innovative ships? I'm with you there. I remember when the Dream was about to be announced. I was SO excited! It was around the time Oasis was announced as well. They touted it as their most innovative ship yet. I can't even describe my reaction when I realized it was ANOTHER stretched out Conquest classed ship with more rooms. And then NCL Epic was announced and just blew it out of the water. It was actually kind of depressing. Lack of innovation really is my main issue with Carnival.

They are trying though. With the ropes course/sports square on the Magic and the 5D theater on the Breeze...innovation is coming to Carnival but it does seem to be at a much MUCH slower rate than with NCL or RCI, its main competitors.

Boring orange rooms? Agreed. That seems to be gone after the Magic. The Breeze has a completely different decor than any other Carnival ship currently in the fleet.

I'm 25 now. I'll still be a Carnival/RCI/NCL(they are all in the same category to me) type of cruiser until at LEAST 35, 40. Then maybe I'll do more Celebrity/Princess type cruises. I won't be ready for the Crystal/Seabourn lifestyle until I'm 55.

To each their own though :)

I have "grown up from Carnival" and so have a lot of frequent cruisers I know. Of course I still cruise a LOT on Carnival .. but at some point when you cruise a lot, Carnival get boring. Sameness from one cruise ship to another. Not enough variety.

Nothing wrong with Carnival, good product for a cheap price .. but branch out. I finally am trying Celebrity. I was waiting until I turned diamond on RCL, so I can be elite now on Celebrity.

and if by "Classier" you mean that Carnival's demographic is below your standards, Then I'm guessing you should try another Cruise line .

Love it. Every time someone hints that Carnival may not be "classy" enough, the comment strikes a nerve with someone...:rolleyes:

Lets be realistic, Carnival is a great product, but it's a budget product. It's far from classy.

To the OP, yes it's normal to want to branch out to other cruise lines and try something different, regardless of age. A lot of people develop a more discerning taste at a younger age. It's great to try different ships, destinations, cuisine, and forms of entertainment. Not everybody finds hairy chest contests a prime source of entertainment.

P.S. I'm also in my 30's.

Sure does--we have scattered NCL,HAL and RCI amongst our Carnival.

After Hawaii we are moving back to NCL for awhile.

I think the people who say they are never bored with Carnival just dont cruise as much as I do. Im cruising 6 to 8 times a year, though I quit counting, just a estimate.

If you cruise 6 times a year with Carnival .. you are bound to get to know the menu, the games etc just a little too well.

Never seen the party till you puke atmosphere on any Carnival ships I have been on but I am sure it is there if you look for it. I dont cruise to be entertained so all the new inovations mean nothing to me. I dont care what color the walls are as long as the sea is blue. So at the age of 64 and 15 years on Carnival maybe I will never grow up

If you are bored with Carnival, maybe its time to try a different vacation?

You know there are lots of other fun things to do that are not on a cruise ship?

I prefer to try other cruiselines myself .. variety is the spice of life. though I enjoy branson a lot. Amusement parks are not so fun since I cruise solo.

Each to his own, but enjoy other vacations if thats your thing.

You know there are other lines besides Carnival to try if you get bored with Carnival???

I've been on 56 cruises over 11 different cruise lines, so the whole cruise experience is different for me. I don't go to the shows, I don't play trivia, and I don't go to the MDR every night. I cruise to enjoy the relaxation that I never seem to accomplish at home.

I was in FL in January and really wanted to try Oasis or Allure, but at a cost of $3600 for one week for two people in a standard balcony cabin vs $1700.00 for the same week on the Dream, it's not worth it to me to venture out. I can do two Carnival vacation, which is what I did, for less than the cost of one week on RCCL on their mega ship. My DH and I make our own fun wherever we go, we don't need the cruise lines to provide it for us.

I prefer to try other cruiselines myself .. variety is the spice of life. though I enjoy branson a lot. Amusement parks are not so fun since I cruise solo.

Each to his own, but enjoy other vacations if thats your thing.

You know there are other lines besides Carnival to try if you get bored with Carnival???

I agree. We are starting to bore of Carnival. Now, I don't cruise nearly as often as you, but some things can get mundane. We really enjoy cruising and have been to most of the Caribbean ports. So, we now cruise to cruise and not necessarily the ports. We went to an AI last year with my parents and by day 3 we looked at each other and said "eh, I'd rather be on a cruise".

I go for the price, not Itinerary, so if I get a good deal, I will go on Celebrity or Holland America if the price is right. Unfortunately, this means traveling since so many lines have left the West Coast.

I love the elegance of the other cruise lines, but you can't beat Carnival's value! I can find fun wherever I go!

I agree. We are starting to bore of Carnival. Now, I don't cruise nearly as often as you, but some things can get mundane. We really enjoy cruising and have been to most of the Caribbean ports. So, we now cruise to cruise and not necessarily the ports. We went to an AI last year with my parents and by day 3 we looked at each other and said "eh, I'd rather be on a cruise".

I guess that guy was a Carnival cheerleader who posted back to me when I said try other lines, .. do a land vacation instead of what I suggested.

I do want to branch out more to other lines, but Im somewhat limited since I cant be too far to get home fast if I need to, so I am not comfortable with Australia or Europe cruises right now. one day.

Surprise .. other lines also have even better loyalty programs .. get out and try some more lines. I actually started with Princess because I was told it was the only line someone else would do, no other lines. I just cant be that loyal.

I think that its natural to want to explore, and maybe Carnival really isn't the right one for you. Hubby and I are pretty loyal to Royal (our next cruise is a family deal, not our choice) but I don't think its necessarily an age thing, its a circumstance thing. Royal tends to have less families in our experience. We kinda like the mature atmosphere. But someone of the same age sailing with kids might find that for their family the same atmosphere we like is a bit too grown up. Go out and give the others a try!

We average 7 cruises a year on Carnival for years and the only time I got burned out was when we did 11 in 13 months.

Since folks don't seem to get bored going to the same condo year after year, I don't think there is any reason to get "bored" with Carnival.

Carnival currently addresses our vacation needs and when that changes, we will change.

We average 7 cruises a year on Carnival for years and the only time I got burned out was when we did 11 in 13 months.

Since folks don't seem to get bored going to the same condo year after year, I don't think there is any reason to get "bored" with Carnival.

Carnival currently addresses our vacation needs and when that changes, we will change.

I think your case is a bit different. You have said you cruise Carnival because of your son's disabilities and that he is used to Carnival and would not feel comfortable with a change.

Though I envy how often you cruise .. even more than me :D

I think your case is a bit different. You have said you cruise Carnival because of your son's disabilities and that he is used to Carnival and would not feel comfortable with a change.

Though I envy how often you cruise .. even more than me :D

While that is true, IF I was bored...I would not cruise.....

we still expect the same value for our vacation dollar that we would get anywhere else...

For me it is economics and who am I traveling with. You can see by my siggy I am new to cruising,,only since 2004. In 2004 I bonded with a group of 6 people and we had taken all the other (except coastal) HAL cruise together. I needed to go to sea and I needed a cheap cruise so I tried the Paradise in 2010, but also took my best frined and his wife who had never been on a cruise . We discovered why they are called Funships,,as compared to therefined environment of a HAL ship.

So the HAL group I travel with is a more refined, less after hours fun group. My friend and his wife are pretty high energy and more a party type,,as much as 60 year olds party (hey, we do fine, we just get gassed easier).

So my upcoming crusie I went for economics and since my friend and his wife are coming with us,, we choose the the higher energy of the CCL ship, along with the price (same cruise, same cabin as HAL but 450 a person cheaper and I don't have to drive 2 hours to the port,,only 20 minutes).

So to the OP the short answer,,we grew into the CCL ship from the HAL ship. But we really cruise for itineraries too.

I've been on 56 cruises over 11 different cruise lines, so the whole cruise experience is different for me. I don't go to the shows, I don't play trivia, and I don't go to the MDR every night. I cruise to enjoy the relaxation that I never seem to accomplish at home.

I was in FL in January and really wanted to try Oasis or Allure, but at a cost of $3600 for one week for two people in a standard balcony cabin vs $1700.00 for the same week on the Dream, it's not worth it to me to venture out. I can do two Carnival vacation, which is what I did, for less than the cost of one week on RCCL on their mega ship. My DH and I make our own fun wherever we go, we don't need the cruise lines to provide it for us.

I found out the same just last week. Our family took our first cruise on Carnival three years ago. It was ok, not great, just ok. So when trying to plan this years vacation the three of us could not reach any agreement on where to go.

So the wife suggested trying RCCL. I did the pricing and found we could do a b2b for the same price as a 7 or 9 night cruise on another line. So a back to back on the Valor in June it is.

Archived