Cartagena, Columbia

KeyOfSea

We were on Equinox from Jan. 23rd to Feb. 3rd. We had a great cruise with some very nice weather.

I promised the tour guide in Cartagena that I would spread the word on this board. I was a little nervous going to Columbia but we thoroughly enjoyed. We felt safe and learned a lot about the recent changes in the country. We took the tour of the bay on a 'pirate' ship - sorry, I can't remember the official name of it. Cartagena is a great place to visit.

We always enjoy staying at the shops close to the ship.

The shopping is great.

The landscape is beautiful.

Coffee in the shade is restful.

We've had great offers to go on tour, but this is a favorite place for

staying close to the ship.

Maris

Only 3x, looking forward to the next visit.

We were on Equinox from Jan. 23rd to Feb. 3rd. We had a great cruise with some very nice weather.

I promised the tour guide in Cartagena that I would spread the word on this board. I was a little nervous going to Columbia but we thoroughly enjoyed. We felt safe and learned a lot about the recent changes in the country. We took the tour of the bay on a 'pirate' ship - sorry, I can't remember the official name of it. Cartagena is a great place to visit.

Hi Trish! I sure do wish I didn't have to back out of this cruise:( but I'm glad you had a wonderful time! Maybe next year we will try to book this again. In the meantime, we are boarding Eclipse on Sat. for an eastern Carib again. Getting very excited!

Spent a week in Cartagena in 2010 with my wife, grown daughter and friend. Had a great time. Wonderful city, fabulous food - a real foodie destination and many interesting sites. The city is a World Heritage site. Do a search on the NY Times web site travel section and you will see about a half dozen glowing articles about the city. If you do some due diligence you will see that the overall situation in Columbia has changed drastically over the past 10 years, but the former reputation lingers for some. Ironic, but even back then all of the drug violence was centered hundreds of miles away and was never near Cartagena. Check the US State Department web site to confirm what I am saying. Stay near the pier and you will miss a wonderful city that you probably will never otherwise experience -- one of the reasons many of us cruise.

Spent a week in Cartagena in 2010 with my wife, grown daughter and friend. Had a great time. Wonderful city, fabulous food - a real foodie destination and many interesting sites. The city is a World Heritage site. Do a search on the NY Times web site travel section and you will see about a half dozen glowing articles about the city. If you do some due diligence you will see that the overall situation in Columbia has changed drastically over the past 10 years, but the former reputation lingers for some. Ironic, but even back then all of the drug violence was centered hundreds of miles away and was never near Cartagena. Check the US State Department web site to confirm what I am saying. Stay near the pier and you will miss a wonderful city that you probably will never otherwise experience -- one of the reasons many of us cruise.

We didn´t want to get off in Cartegena. Too many rumors. Not much time. Pool looked really inviting. Our waiter at breakfast though convinced us to get off the ship and to grab a taxi.

That afternoon we returned from our tour as big Cartegena fans. Our taxi driver was just fantastic showing us the fort, the market, great spot for lunch and so much more The one thing we did ask him is not to drag us to all the jewelry stores.

So, I agree with you all...absolutely wonderful!

We also were on the same cruise and took that same tour - it was terrific! A very knowledgeable guide who is obviously very proud of his country. The surprise musicians and dancers were a real treat (as well as the snacks provided). I would definitely recommend this tour!

This port surprised me as to how beautiful it was. I wasn't at all afraid--I just didn't think it would be as beautiful and interesting as it was. We took a private tour with Claudia Vidale. I'm not much for city tours in general, but this one was very special. I would love to go back there.

I lived in Cartagena for three years (several years ago) and am going back on the Equinox (March 5). I'm eager to visit all the places that I loved so much. I plan to avoid all the organized tours, and just simply rent a taxi, go to the Bocagrande area (the newer area of the city that includes both residential and hotels, high rise condos)...lots of restaurants, shopping, beaches, and sightseeing...you can get a wonderful look at how the more wealthy people of the city live...walk through their neighborhoods, etc. I then plan to have a leisurely walk back to the old city, along the oceanfront sidewalk...explore the old walled city once again and then probably find a taxi back to the ship...the heat and humidity will probably have gotten the best of me by then. Take your usual "tourist-in-the-big-foreign-city" precautions, but no need to be fearful to get into this most remarkable city for exploration!

Toured with Claudia in Dec 2011. Great tour; Well woth the money. Would do it again. Next time wouldlike to spend more time in the old city. Not a complaint just an observation.

Our week long stay in 2010 was in the Old City. Fabulous. Glad to see the posts on this thread by the cruisers who know why they cruise -- to explore and enjoy!

I lived in Cartagena for three years (several years ago) and am going back on the Equinox (March 5). I'm eager to visit all the places that I loved so much. I plan to avoid all the organized tours, and just simply rent a taxi, go to the Bocagrande area (the newer area of the city that includes both residential and hotels, high rise condos)...lots of restaurants, shopping, beaches, and sightseeing...you can get a wonderful look at how the more wealthy people of the city live...walk through their neighborhoods, etc. I then plan to have a leisurely walk back to the old city, along the oceanfront sidewalk...explore the old walled city once again and then probably find a taxi back to the ship...the heat and humidity will probably have gotten the best of me by then. Take your usual "tourist-in-the-big-foreign-city" precautions, but no need to be fearful to get into this most remarkable city for exploration!

We also will be on the Mar 5 Equinox cruise. thank you for your advise.;)

We also love Cartagena, the colorful architecture, the sweep of Spanish colonial history, so much to see and do.

KeyOfSea, I'm betting this is your 'pirate ship', a photo taken on our visit there in April of 2011. We were in an aft stateroom and I captured the view as it sailed past Infinity. For a better look, go to the right side of the photo page and find the + icon for viewing the pic full size.

http://travel.webshots.com/photo/2383513620099099348jtjRoF

If you'd care to, that photo is part of a larger Cartagena album, wander around and see some of the sights/sites. :)

FWIW, in the 12+ years we've been going there with Celebrity, I feel that the quality of shopping has declined significantly, while the city tours and hospitality have soared. Truly a Caribbean highlight.

CM

KeyOfSea, I'm betting this is your 'pirate ship', a photo taken on our visit there in April of 2011. We were in an aft stateroom and I captured the view as it sailed past Infinity.

CM

It certainly is! :D :cool: Thanks!!

Archived