Another lie by Royal Caribbean to a guest

My doctor would probably write me a note stating I should STOP drinking diet soda all together, lol. But seriously, that seems a little extreme to me. I'm sure I could get my doctor to write it but what about people who don't have a doctor or who can't afford a doctor because they have no insurance?

But the point is that RCI just lies to justify their policies.

Best,

Sunny

Sometimes I think the on land customer service agents make up answers. It's easier to just say something than look up the real answer. You could probably call 6 other CS agents and get 6 more different answers. I don't think you were lied intentionally. I've had to educate CS agents. If you correct them they usually will put you on hold and look for the correct answer. Cruise critic is far more reliable.

I just don't understand why people are not allowed to bring on caffeine free/diet etc...soda's that aren't available on the ship. Sure, I guess we could all go a week without our favorite drinks, but dang, it's supposed to be a cruise vacation, not lock down at the state penitentiary.

Even worse are the comments about pax not being allowed to bring on their own bottled water specifically for mixing infant formula. Some have been told they need a doctor's note. So stupid. Babies can have sensitive tummies and switching brands of water could be detrimental.

Per the cruiselines policy, you are not allowed to bring on any beverages. As far as the one rep who said it was because of agriculture rules, they were wrong. They probably knew that there are certain things you can't bring on because of agriculture laws and thought soda was in that category too.

The cruiseline does not have every beverage that every passenger wants to drink. They do have diet sprite by the can and sometimes they have caffiene free diet coke by the can, they do not have either of those on the soda gun so will not be covered by a soda package.

If your soda is important to you, carry some on. Depending on the port and time of year, you will have no issues. I would not check it because you will most likely be called to the naughty room and they don't usually let you keep anything.

I'm new to cruising but was thinking about trying to smuggle soda on the Oasis of the seas ships. I have no interest in alcohol. What all is entailed in the "naughty room" and how long does it take to get out if you're caught with soda in your bag. Anyone ever been?

I just don't understand why people are not allowed to bring on caffeine free/diet etc...soda's that aren't available on the ship. Sure, I guess we could all go a week without our favorite drinks, but dang, it's supposed to be a cruise vacation, not lock down at the state penitentiary.

Even worse are the comments about pax not being allowed to bring on their own bottled water specifically for mixing infant formula. Some have been told they need a doctor's note. So stupid. Babies can have sensitive tummies and switching brands of water could be detrimental.

Uh huh. Lust for Corporate profits exceed their concern for your children. Pretty simple.

Yes. It is a lie. Or it could be that the agent really thought they were giving you correct information. Having worked as a TA for a long time I can assure you this is not what the agents are told to tell you and most of their agents are incredibly polite (if not always accurate in their answers) and want to give good information.

I find Oregon to be the best. Wichita tends to be rude and Miami is just...well...careless.

Why are you assuming she "lied" or that the company "lied" - it could be a simple misunderstanding. Your thread is about lying. You seem to be upset at other posters because they strayed from your original point.

My point is that misinformation exists -- but you seem to think that you were lied to. Do you believe that the company is presenting this information - that RCCI is lying? Or do you believe that simply this agent lied to you? The term "Lie" is pretty inflamitory.

Stating that the Department of Agriculture regulates the transportation of soft drinks is a complete fabrication...it is a lie.

Employees should not be allowed to make things up in response to customer questions. It is complete disservice.

If a customer service representitive doesn't know the answer to something, say that...and offer to call the customer back with the correct information.

It's really not that difficult.

Stating that the Department of Agriculture regulates the transportation of soft drinks is a complete fabrication...it is a lie.

Employees should not be allowed to make things up in response to customer questions. It is complete disservice.

If a customer service representitive doesn't know the answer to something, say that...and offer to call the customer back with the correct information.

It's really not that difficult.

You have clearly never worked front line customer service in a major call center. Let me tell you, RCI agents CANNOT "call the customer back" with the information and, as is typical of most customer service positions, the amount of information out there that contradicts eachother means this agent probably sincerely thought their answer was correct. It is unlikely they just "made it up."

Sometimes I think everyone should have to do this job a few months and see what it is really like before they criticize the front line reps. Blame management, not the folks that have no choice.

And, btw, what that agent PROBABLY thought was "gee there is rule (governed by local Ag departments) that prevent folks from taking food off the ships, so it would make sense they might regulate taking food stuffs on a ship that is traveling to different countries." Was she right? No. Was she lying? Probably not.

I find Oregon to be the best. Wichita tends to be rude and Miami is just...well...careless.

In response to the rep's area determining their helpfulness....I also have stringent dietary needs and do not drink artificial sweeteners or caffeine. The RCCL rep I spoke with today out of OREGON stated I could bring my sparkling seltzer waters with no added sugar. I also am wheat and corn free and they stated I could bring my own originally packaged snacks for excursion use. No doctor's note mentioned. And to those individuals insensitive enough to say give it up for a week.....what are they willing to go without? Those with food allergens and/or sensitivities are just trying to have a good time as well.

In response to the rep's area determining their helpfulness....I also have stringent dietary needs and do not drink artificial sweeteners or caffeine. The RCCL rep I spoke with today out of OREGON stated I could bring my sparkling seltzer waters with no added sugar. I also am wheat and corn free and they stated I could bring my own originally packaged snacks for excursion use. No doctor's note mentioned. And to those individuals insensitive enough to say give it up for a week.....what are they willing to go without? Those with food allergens and/or sensitivities are just trying to have a good time as well.

The comments about giving it up for a week was about needing a specific soft drink.

As for packaged snacks - you can bring on as much as you care to pack. As you mentioned - wonderful for excursions. For food the main issue - you can't take unpackaged foods off the ship. Those rules are first RCCL rules and 2nd rules in some of the countries where the ships dock.

Australia is the only place we have had to show and have our prepackaged protein bars examined for it's contents...... Even Food sniffing dogs etc. We were allowed to bring them ashore in the end.

I guess for us the problem is that we want to carry-on our luggage. Will they confiscate it if we carry it on?

If I can't get my soda on board through carry-on I will check it with the porters!

I don't know why they want to lie about it. It just makes my angry as a consumer to be lied to. I know it happens everywhere but I am just so tired of it.

Best,

Sunny

I have never read the rules or policy about carry-on soda with RCI. But by my experience I have carried two 2-liters of coke on every cruise I have taken. Sometimes in my carry-on luggage other times just in a plastic bag never had any confiscated. Always left the bottles on the vanity in my stateroom. There has never been a problem.

I can't tell you the types of notes that I get asked for. Most of them have to do with adults not acting like adults, not taking responsibility for their actions, and then wanting me to get them out of their messes.

As far as caffeine free diet soda, if there is no medical reason for someone to have to have something then why should a physician write a note saying that they should be allowed to bring it aboard the ship? If you just can't do without it for a week then help yourself at ports of call. If someone just has to have their particular brand of beer that isn't carried on the ships should a physician write a note for that too? If I cannot medically justify what I write then I don't write it no matter what the person making the request thinks.

Changing physicans over something like this.... just sitting here shaking my head.

Thinks the OP needs to get a life! My gosh a week without caffeine free diet soda! How dare they!!!...Please give me a break!....K.O. Near Philly:rolleyes:

She said that "as far as she knows" that the policy is that of the Department of Agriculture.

So, why does RCI want to lie about it? I hate when companies try to hush my intelligence with their lies.

.....after you questioned her statement..........she said: "as far as I know".... to qualify her statement that she was not completely knowledgeable.

In that case, I would not feel that the entire RCI company "lied" to you.

It is sort of sad that you are "ticked off" about an agent that probably thought they were doing their job.

Do you get this up in arms about every mistake anyone makes? I assume you have never made a mistake in your job or personal life? Never not once? :rolleyes:

And if you did, surely you were LYING.

Anyone working in my office who makes up their own reasons as to why I have certain policies wouldn't be working there for long.

Anyone working in my office who makes up their own reasons as to why I have certain policies wouldn't be working there for long.

People on the front lines of any customer service business often have to make up their own reasons as to why certain policies are in place, not because they are lying, but because they are poorly trained and it helps get them out of a confrontation.

People on the front lines of any customer service business often have to make up their own reasons as to why certain policies are in place, not because they are lying, but because they are poorly trained and it helps get them out of a confrontation.

Then RCI should beef up the training.

Then RCI should beef up the training.

I agree but from someone who has worked in retail customer service for 35 years, all the training in the world will still fail with customers if one person on the front line doesn't get the message. RCI is no different than any other company in this respect. But your statement is most definately correct.

"(f) Except as noted below, Guests are prohibited from bringing alcohol on Carnival's vessels for on board consumption. However, at the beginning of the cruise during embarkation day, guests 21 years and older may bring on board, only in their carry-on luggage, one bottle, per person, of wine or champagne, 750ml or less. A $10 corkage fee per bottle will be charged should guests wish to consume this wine/champagne in the dining room, or a $14 corkage fee per bottle if consumed in the steakhouse. All alcohol, additional quantities of wine/champagne and excessive non-alcoholic beverages will be confiscated and discarded without compensation."

Hi, I thought carnival was a different company to RCI :confused: or am I reading this wrong

Many Thanks Emzzy

I read the OP's stated problem and thought "Wow - sure is a strong response - accusing a company of "lieing" for what seemed to be dealing with a customer service rep perhaps doing her/his best in trying to give a reason behind a policy.

Trying to think of an alternative and trying to empathize with the OP, I continued to think it through. I cannot have soda/carbonated beverages, have to avoid caffeine and sugar. I bring decaffinated tea bags and fruit tea bags and splenda and/or truvia with me to make my "ice tea" every morning and evening to give me a variety of beverage other than water. I also discovered MIA flavoring which I take also. I was thinking - why doesn't the OP try something like that.

Then realized - it was the passion for caffeine sugar free soda that was wanted. But wait - pehaps that wasn't the problem afterall...it was that a "lie" was the problem.

Must be nice to be ominiscent to conclude a not so quite logical answer from a rep was a "lie" rather than a possible incorrect response to a question. What passion!

Archived