Different Style of Passengers in Different Classes?

Smokeyham

Ach awa' wi ye wumman! Huv ah no been teachin' ye tae blether oan in broad Scots aw these years. An' noo ye tell me ye dinnae unnerstaun' a word ah've been sayin' !!!

Weel, ah'm fair scunnert noo!

:eek::eek:

J

Lissen ere La, talk proper Scouse or I'll 'ave to take yer down the back jigger and fill yer in!:p:D:D:D

Lissen ere La, talk proper Scouse or I'll 'ave to take yer down the back jigger and fill yer in!:p:D:D:D

Hee hee.

Any more of your Scouse threats and I'll get my big Yorkshire mate to come over the Pennines and rearrange your kneecaps.

Shiny! Where are you when I need you?

:D:D

J

You are misusing the term Cockney and are liable to offend those who are Cockney and probably those who are not. I was born about 8 miles from Bow Bells so am not a Cockney. I was from Sarf London. i doubt you could appreciate the difference.

I used to book the grills but mainly because the grill experience went downhill and it just didn't seem worth the extra cost I just book the lower categories now. In fact the lowest, and then only when its on special offer. I find I am less likely to complain about anything then.

Unrealistic expectation fuelled by glossy brochures and paying through the nose can give rise to dissatisfaction.

I now put on no extra weight on a cruise whereas I used to put on the best part of a pound a day on QE2 QG.

I have had more fun in the basic dining room than in QG or PG. They can be a stuffy lot. Yes, they can have their heads up their a***es.

Sorry, I mean the "cockney" type of accent. Kind of Eliza Doolittle, if you will.

Ach awa' wi ye wumman! Huv ah no been teachin' ye tae blether oan in broad Scots aw these years. An' noo ye tell me ye dinnae unnerstaun' a word ah've been sayin' !!!

Weel, ah'm fair scunnert noo!

:eek::eek:

J

"Twas a brrrod brrricht moonleet nicht" is all I know...:)

(I keep posting without proofreading...:rolleyes:)

Delighted with all the accents, and of course I understood every one of them, I tear up to "Mae hen wlad fy nhadau"and Jim was a "geordie", my son was born in Yorkshire, and my daughter in Wiltshire, so suppose you could refer to us a "mixed grill"

BTW I lived in Poplar (East End of London) for many years, almost within distance of Bow Bells. Poplar was a real "slum " in those days, turned to rubble in l940 of course.

Next week my "home sweet home" will be a D1 on Queen Victoria for 17 days.

... I have had more fun in the basic dining room than in QG or PG. They can be a stuffy lot. Yes, they can have their heads up their a***es.

We never travelled in the Grills aboard the QE2; the best we had was a few crossings in the basic first class, later called Caronia Restaurant staterooms. But we have thoroughly enjoyed three crossings on QM2 in the Grills, one in PG and two in QG. We did not find it at all stuffy. The perception of stuffiness, of course, varies by individual. Perhaps I could call our experiences as being dignified but a lot of fun. No-one slapped me on the back and said: "Howdy pardner" nor did we see anyone making a spectacle of themselves by excessive drink. But there was much laughter and friendly conversation. Twice we sat at a table for six and once there were seven. We all got along and on only one trip could I say there was a couple who appeared to be very well off, but they were very friendly and had no hesitation in accepting our invitation to our usual soiree for our table-mates in our room. On one trip we had so much fun that no-one missed a meal in seven days, not even breakfast. Most of the people we have met in the Grills were people who, like us, are not rich but who like to splurge on an enjoyable experience.

I must mention that our first trip in the Grills was an upgrade from Britannia to PG and our first time in QG was an upgrade from PG. We have met others who have been similarly favoured by Cunard. It was a wise move by Cunard because we might never have splurged on the Grills if they hadn't treated us that first time.

If we were to draw a line -- with "totally uninhibited behaviour" at one end and "totally inhibited behaviour " at the other end - where would we mark a point on that line that says "normal behaviour" and another which says "stuffy" ?? :)

Barry

We never travelled in the Grills aboard the QE2; the best we had was a few crossings in the basic first class, later called Caronia Restaurant staterooms. But we have thoroughly enjoyed three crossings on QM2 in the Grills, one in PG and two in QG. We did not find it at all stuffy. The perception of stuffiness, of course, varies by individual. Perhaps I could call our experiences as being dignified but a lot of fun. No-one slapped me on the back and said: "Howdy pardner" nor did we see anyone making a spectacle of themselves by excessive drink. But there was much laughter and friendly conversation. Twice we sat at a table for six and once there were seven. We all got along and on only one trip could I say there was a couple who appeared to be very well off, but they were very friendly and had no hesitation in accepting our invitation to our usual soiree for our table-mates in our room. On one trip we had so much fun that no-one missed a meal in seven days, not even breakfast. Most of the people we have met in the Grills were people who, like us, are not rich but who like to splurge on an enjoyable experience.

I must mention that our first trip in the Grills was an upgrade from Britannia to PG and our first time in QG was an upgrade from PG. We have met others who have been similarly favoured by Cunard. It was a wise move by Cunard because we might never have splurged on the Grills if they hadn't treated us that first time.

I have never seen anyone on QM2, in any of the dining categories, including Britannia, slap people on the back and say "Howdy pardner" nor make a drunken spectacle of themselves. People of the Cunard ships tend to behave quite well I think (particularly compared to behaviors I've heard about on other lines). Nor have I ever found anyone "stuffy" particularly, even in the Grills. On QE2, yes, there was the occasional stuffiness.

I used to like Caronia on QE2, by the way. It was perfect for me. I did stay in a QG single cabin once, but in many ways, preferred Caronia.

I have never seen anyone on QM2, in any of the dining categories, including Britannia, slap people on the back and say "Howdy pardner" nor make a drunken spectacle of themselves. People of the Cunard ships tend to behave quite well I think (particularly compared to behaviors I've heard about on other lines). Nor have I ever found anyone "stuffy" particularly, even in the Grills. On QE2, yes, there was the occasional stuffiness.

I used to like Caronia on QE2, by the way. It was perfect for me. I did stay in a QG single cabin once, but in many ways, preferred Caronia.

Leucothea, I've never seen anyone smack people on the back saying "Howdy Pardner" either. And prior to my last voyage on QM2 (Dec 19- Jan 3), I'd never witnessed so many inebriated passengers. No doubt it was a one-off, being holiday season and all, but nevertheless it was a somewhat troublesome to me to encounter so many passengers drunk as a skunks before dinner. Truth be told, it was the first time I worried about what would happen in the event of an emergency since so many passengers were acting really stupid drunk.-Again, that is a one off on a holiday cruise. But it left a big impression on me. -S.

Salacia

Interested to know what sort of cruise this was - obviously a Christmas/new Year one - but where did it go to. ? Actually, in 10 cruises I have never really struck any "inebriated" passengers on any cruiseline we have been on - and that includes some Aussie cruises which had some heavy drinking (but not inebriated) passengers . Frankly I could not afford the alcohol required to make me "inebriated" onboard a cruiseship!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Salacia

Interested to know what sort of cruise this was - obviously a Christmas/new Year one - but where did it go to. ? Actually, in 10 cruises I have never really struck any "inebriated" passengers on any cruiseline we have been on - and that includes some Aussie cruises which had some heavy drinking (but not inebriated) passengers . Frankly I could not afford the alcohol required to make me "inebriated" onboard a cruiseship!! :rolleyes:

Barry

Hi Barry. It was the QM2 Caribbean cruise. I've never experienced anything like it before...I've posted many times previously that I've never seen inebriated passengers on QM2 -ok, maybe one or two, but never so many so early in the evening. I guess it's not unusual on New Year's Eve, but on a ship (or behind the wheel of a car)...it is not a good idea.

Hi Barry. It was the QM2 Caribbean cruise. I've never experienced anything like it before...I've posted many times previously that I've never seen inebriated passengers on QM2 -ok, maybe one or two, but never so many so early in the evening. I guess it's not unusual on New Year's Eve, but on a ship (or behind the wheel of a car)...it is not a good idea.

I 've seen just the same as you. My God, I'd be so concerned if there ever was an emergency at sea that would require the tenders being boarded. I like to think the officers in Cunard are better trained than what we saw recently in the Med. On our Jan.19th trip tp Panama we had some rather(minor) rough seas. The QV & (I presume QE)really rocked. the up & down motion was not a problem(like on QM2)the "side to side" motion really threw quite a few of the elderly off their feet. Almost had to catch my mother's friend Liz more than once. we walked close to the walls. That way if someone bumped into us(several times!!)we could steady ourselves & keep them from falling as well.

We recently returned from New York on QM2 and were extremely pleased with the people we meet in Britannia restaurant (usually travel in Grills) very friendly and polite - my husband Ron is a bit of an old moaner and does jabber on about his wartime memories, football, late trains, scroungers, work shy, single parent families, politicians, smoking, drinking,French, Germans, Scots, Welsh to name a few - I found that the guests in Britannia were more than happy to listen to his endless drivel for hours on end, leaving me free to play the tables to my hearts content - we are travelling again shortly 4th April, QV, Central Mediterranean, second sitting - I look forward to meeting any of you on board

Cynthia

We recently returned from New York on QM2 and were extremely pleased with the people we meet in Britannia restaurant (usually travel in Grills) very friendly and polite - my husband Ron is a bit of an old moaner and does jabber on about his wartime memories, football, late trains, scroungers, work shy, single parent families, politicians, smoking, drinking,French, Germans, Scots, Welsh to name a few - I found that the guests in Britannia were more than happy to listen to his endless drivel for hours on end, leaving me free to play the tables to my hearts content - we are travelling again shortly 4th April, QV, Central Mediterranean, second sitting - I look forward to meeting any of you on board

Cynthia

Mrs. Sponge...thanks for the warning. :D

We were on the Holiday cruise although not out and about that much before dinner. I really didn't see any inebriated passengers, just people celebrating a good time. Of course, I wasn't all over the ship to see all that was going on. And yes, people celebrated NYE and we paid extra to be on board the QM2 to do so.

Is the new wave now going to be that passengers should regulate their drinking and having a good time on a ship because of some unforseen disaster and we all have to be prepared? Isn't the whole point of traveling by ship...we get to have a good time and the Captain is in charge. :)

Mrs. Sponge...thanks for the warning. :D

We were on the Holiday cruise although not out and about that much before dinner. I really didn't see any inebriated passengers, just people celebrating a good time. Of course, I wasn't all over the ship to see all that was going on. And yes, people celebrated NYE and we paid extra to be on board the QM2 to do so.

Is the new wave now going to be that passengers should regulate their drinking and having a good time on a ship because of some unforseen disaster and we all have to be prepared? Isn't the whole point of traveling by ship...we get to have a good time and the Captain is in charge. :)

I wondered where it was going to head after smoking was vilified. Oh well, still eating and laughing to be stopped after everyone has stopped smoking and drinking.:p:rolleyes:

Is society stuffy any more? I just don't see stuff-y-ness from mature individuals any more. Unless they are insecure and trying to be something more or feel elevated. Usually a sign of suburban upper-middle incomes in America.

Frankly, society is a little permissive. Garishly so. I think most people on Cunard go there to get away from that for a while, as an extra to everything else.

I really didn't see any inebriated passengers...

Neither did I. Mind you, I avoided looking in any mirrors.

We have met people, on other cruise lines, that say they will never sail on Cunard because they think that Cunard discriminates against passengers who are not booked in the grills. On our 4 times on Cunard we have always booked Brittania and have never felt discrimated against. In America everyone is on the lookout for any type of discrimination. It has almost become a national past time. :)

We have met people, on other cruise lines, that say they will never sail on Cunard because they think that Cunard discriminates against passengers who are not booked in the grills. On our 4 times on Cunard we have always booked Brittania and have never felt discrimated against. In America everyone is on the lookout for any type of discrimination. It has almost become a national past time. :)

Did they say in what way they thought Cunard discriminated against non-Grill passengers? I can't picture what they're talking about.

Did they say in what way they thought Cunard discriminated against non-Grill passengers? I can't picture what they're talking about.

Just the fact that there were two different dining rooms made them feel that there was a caste system at play. The "haves" in the Grills and the "have nots" in the main dining room. They felt that it was very un-democratic.

Archived