Evaluating Food Quality

Giorgi-one

There are frequent discussions on these boards related to food quality. Whenever this occurs, the statement is always made that food quality is subjective. The following definitions of subjective were obtained from Wikipedia and Dictionary.com. A subject's personal perspective, feelings, beliefs, desires or discovery, as opposed to those made from an independent, objective, point of view - relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind as distinguished from general or universal experience. What this really says is that a subjective evaluation, in most cases, has very little to do with reality.

IMHO, food quality opinions are not as subjective as some would have us believe. In most cases, people make the evaluation based on their experience which is more objective than subjective. So if someone says they like (or dislike) a particular meal, they are saying that it compares favorably (or unfavorably) with similar meals they have had in the past.

There are many peole on these boards who feel the Celebrity MDR food quality has declined considerably and I am among them. There are others who think the food is fantastic. My point is that they are probably basing their evaluation on very different experiences. At the extremes, if you are used to eating at 5 star restaurants (I do no eat at any star restaurants) you certainly would not think there was anything special about the food on any mass market cruise line. On the other hand, if you were ate most of your outside meals at fast food restaurants, you might think that cruise line food was special. Of course, most of us fall somewhere in between.

I agree with your post. I would also add that when serving 2000-4000 people in a main dining room, most food has to be pre done and is "banquet quality" food, while smaller ships or specialty restaurants can do made-to-order 'restaurant quality" food.

Except for the Speciality Restaurants, I have always judged the food in the MDR by comparison to food one gets at a wedding/ or banquet.

With 2000 to 3000, I find it impossible to make a comparison with any restaurant.

The thing is the experience can be vastly different from one table to another and one person to another. Having been on many Celebrity cruises beginning in 1994, we've had many dining room experiences. The same cook doesn't prepare every meal, the same waiter doesn't choose and serve every meal. The same food isn't chosen by everyone. The same piece of meat isn't received by everyone....and on and on. We all have our likes and dislikes as well.

Every time I have a cruise where I think things may be slipping a little it seems the next one will be much better and I wonder what people are talking about. It's obvious that it's much more difficult to serve 3000 people than 600. I think we all have a tendency to remember things in the past with rose colored glasses. Let's face it, the more experience we have the more particular we become.

I agree with the comparisson on Wedding/banquet food and for the most part, the food is at least equal to most of the wedding food I have had. That being said, the MDR menu usually has a better selection than most weddings or banquets and you should be able to find something that strikes your fancy. If you are a hamburger and fries type of person and dont like experimenting with your food, then y ou will probably find most of the food will not be to your liking. I like to experiment and find the descriptions of the food really interesting. I have to say that your attitude has a lot to do with your enjoyment of the meal. I like the comment above of "at least I dont have to cook it". I think the quality might be a little lower than our first cruise in 2004, but in order to keep cruise costs affordable, a slight reduction is to be expected.

All that said, I still enjoy cruising and so far I have not had a meal that I was totally unhappy with. I have ordered a second entree when the first option was not to my tastes, but I am not blaming the kitchen for that, but rather my own tastes.

I have a couple problems with equating it to a wedding/banquet. First, when I go to a wedding, I'm not usually footing the bill. And, I don't usually EXPECT to have a great meal. Also, when I'm on vacation, I never PLAN to eat wedding/banquet quality food day in and day out.

If that's really what they are shooting for, then sell it that way. Stop going on and on abut the "amazing dining experience" in ostentatiously named dining rooms. Tell me you're going to include an unlimited buffet, and a nightly banquet. Then that's what I would expect.

I have a couple problems with equating it to a wedding/banquet. First, when I go to a wedding, I'm not usually footing the bill. And, I don't usually EXPECT to have a great meal. Also, when I'm on vacation, I never PLAN to eat wedding/banquet quality food day in and day out.

If that's really what they are shooting for, then sell it that way. Stop going on and on abut the "amazing dining experience" in ostentatiously named dining rooms. Tell me you're going to include an unlimited buffet, and a nightly banquet. Then that's what I would expect.

First, some "wedding/banquet "food is quite good, but it usually is not as good as a fine dining experience.

Second, no one markets their food "very good banquet quality"food or else they would be out of business. Have you noticed lately even your cofee shop or reasonable priced chain restaurants give appetizing descriptions on their menus. It's up to the reader/eater to discriminate. ps some people prefer quantity to quality; everyone has an opinion.

First, some "wedding/banquet "food is quite good, but it usually is not as good as a fine dining experience.

Second, no one markets their food "very good banquet quality"food or else they would be out of business. Have you noticed lately even your cofee shop or reasonable priced chain restaurants give appetizing descriptions on their menus. It's up to the reader/eater to discriminate. ps some people prefer quantity to quality; everyone has an opinion.

Shouldn't we avoid discrimination? Can't we all get along? Better to disseminate.:D

There are frequent discussions on these boards related to food quality. Whenever this occurs, the statement is always made that food quality is subjective. The following definitions of subjective were obtained from Wikipedia and Dictionary.com.

A subject's personal perspective, feelings, beliefs, desires or discovery, as opposed to those made from an independent, objective, point of view - relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind as distinguished from general or universal experience. What this really says is that a subjective evaluation, in most cases, has very little to do with reality.

IMHO, food quality opinions are not as subjective as some would have us believe. In most cases, people make the evaluation based on their experience which is more objective than subjective. So if someone says they like (or dislike) a particular meal, they are saying that it compares favorably (or unfavorably) with similar meals they have had in the past.

There are many peole on these boards who feel the Celebrity MDR food quality has declined considerably and I am among them. There are others who think the food is fantastic. My point is that they are probably basing their evaluation on very different experiences. At the extremes, if you are used to eating at 5 star restaurants (I do no eat at any star restaurants) you certainly would not think there was anything special about the food on any mass market cruise line. On the other hand, if you were ate most of your outside meals at fast food restaurants, you might think that cruise line food was special. Of course, most of us fall somewhere in between.

HI GIORGI-ONE,

Interesting topic, and I tend to agree.

The one element however that I have hilighted is the reference to those who I assume would considered an "expert" in the field... so say a Food Critic...

I don't know about your experiences with Food Critics, but I do find that most folks find their write-ups often to "be out in left field"... to over-the-top elitist for most folks to actually relate to (although they write for magazines & newspapers that cater to the everyday person). A true irony IMO.

The thing is the experience can be vastly different from one table to another and one person to another. Having been on many Celebrity cruises beginning in 1994, we've had many dining room experiences. The same cook doesn't prepare every meal, the same waiter doesn't choose and serve every meal. The same food isn't chosen by everyone. The same piece of meat isn't received by everyone....and on and on. We all have our likes and dislikes as well.

Every time I have a cruise where I think things may be slipping a little it seems the next one will be much better and I wonder what people are talking about. It's obvious that it's much more difficult to serve 3000 people than 600. I think we all have a tendency to remember things in the past with rose colored glasses. Let's face it, the more experience we have the more particular we become.

Totally agree with MA BELL...

And I also find that the "terminology" that is commony used here in regards to Wedding / Banquet Food is misleading.

Food may be prepared or served "Banquet Style" in that there is are economics of scale...

But, I wouldn't say that the food that is served aboard Celebrity is anything like the fare that I've had at many weddings or banquets on land (too many "Rubber Chicken" meals to count)

Our meals on our recent Celebrity Cruise were much better than that... they compared well to many of the Restaurants we frequent when we are on land.

Not the high-end sort of places mind you... but certainly 3 or 4 star. Which is saying a lot because NONE OF THE RESTUARANTS I frequent are producing 12,000 to 15,000 meals a day !! (80,000 meals a week)

Agree... no one markets their food as "very good banquet quality" food.. But everyone is entitled to their opinion, and there is no right or wrong (information on an OPEN Forum is always subjective). Which is what makes it a great way to exchange info...

Which is why...

If 100 people report they like Celebrity's French Onion Soup, and 10 say they don't are those 10 wrong? Or is it just a case of you'll have to wait and see what you think for yourself when you are aboard... whether you end up being one of the majority, or in the minority... no one can predict.

It is what it is.

As for Coffee Shop reference... lol, I had to laugh out loud when I saw the first signs going up for McDonald's new "McCafe" concept.

McDonalds may be a lot of things and fill a niche in the fast food world ... but IMO (notice I said my opinion) they'll never be a Cafe in the "French Classy Interesting Spot to Stop for a Bite" in the strictest form of the word... to which they have chosen to align themselves with by using the word Cafe in their new marketing campaign . :rolleyes:

Interestingly, Celebrity is marketing their new Specialty Venues as Restuarants (and so too Blu) vs Dining Rooms... the idea being I suppose that those venues are indeed doing a lot more "cooking to order" vs the Main Dining Room.

So I think there can be a distinction made between some venues. Cruisers just need to be aware, of what the differences are, and make up their own minds from there.

Cheers!

Very well put!!!:)

There are frequent discussions on these boards related to food quality. Whenever this occurs, the statement is always made that food quality is subjective. The following definitions of subjective were obtained from Wikipedia and Dictionary.com. A subject's personal perspective, feelings, beliefs, desires or discovery, as opposed to those made from an independent, objective, point of view - relating to properties or specific conditions of the mind as distinguished from general or universal experience. What this really says is that a subjective evaluation, in most cases, has very little to do with reality.

Well from my perspective when someone says that the Pizza’s or Hamburgers were good I automatically discount that individual’s food opinion. I cannot see how with three high-end cuisine meals available per day someone would bother to eat any fast food. Obesity comes to mind because unfortunately everywhere we see FAT PEOPLE who tend to stuff themselves with fast food junk. To me those people do not meet the criteria of a credible food critic.:D

The topic is : Evaluating food quality.

Quality for me is 1. fresh food, 2. tastes good 3. variety of food and venues.

Every Celebrity cruise I have been on (3), have met the mark.

I am always amazed how they can feed 1200-3000 people throughout a day.

Eating is just one part of the cruise vacation.

Except for the Speciality Restaurants, I have always judged the food in the MDR by comparison to food one gets at a wedding/ or banquet. With 2000 to 3000, I find it impossible to make a comparison with any restaurant.

We're The Groupnors: I'm just happy I don't have to cook it...

Very good range of smart comments on this thread. It is hard to make all of the dishes too "custom" and "personal" when they need to serve about 12' date='000 total meals during a typical day on a Solstice-type ship. We've done cruises on smaller, more upscale ships. We've done two different Michelin Three-Stars in Europe. We've enjoyed lots of very good food. [i']There are many factors as to what "works" and how well you judge the "quality". Lots of variables at work.[/i] We enjoyed the Solstice food. Some things better than others. Below are a couple of my visual "samples". All no-calorie (from the picture!).

Being on a larger ship, one plus is that you have a wider, more diverse variety of options and venues than on a smaller ship. Lots of pro/con factors, but we didn't go hungry on the Solstice. More food pictures, details below from my live/blog connected below.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

From the Main Dining Room on the Solstice in June, here is one of the dishes that I enjoyed on this cruise. As I recall, it is a veal beef shank.:

SolsticeVealShankMDR.jpg

My wife had this “Potato-Laced French Turbot” at Murano that looked great on its presentation plate. Tasted good, too!:

MuranoTurbotMainDish.jpg

Doing dining “family-style” is especially fun in an Asian-style setting such as Silk Harvest. That sharing of the experience adds to the fun and interest. For sushi, they put together a nice variety of options and the waiter did an added sauce option that was great to test and vary the flavors. Liked it LOTS here at Silk Harvest!! Testing new things is a good value/purpose for such cruises and these types of dining options. Fun, also!!:

SolsticeSilkHarvestSushi-1.jpg

Absolutely totally on target. Celebrity, in particular, sells their food as an upscale experience. If they told me they were going to serve banquet style food because they cannot serve really good food to that many people, I would not complain.

As we age, taste buds begin to disappear. If that isn't bad enough, the olfactory bulb in the brain shrinks. Its job is to process smells .

That is why our ability to taste food diminishes as we get older. It also explains why something does not taste the same as it did last time.

The sense of smell suffers the same sad fate.

Ask your doctor or google it.

TLC Ohio. You are making me hungry.:D Thanks again for the great pictures.

Appreciate the nice comments from our Minnesota friend. Glad I made you hungry!! Now, it's time for little dessert.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 65,713 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

This was the Tuscan Grille “Signature Creme Brulee” that I enjoyed. A key tip for the Tuscan Grille is to “pace yourself” as the portions are large (and good). You need to save room for the desserts, etc.:

SolsticeTuscan2Dessert-1.jpg

Three at our table at Murano went for the “Grand Marnier Souffle” with Creme Anglaise a la Grousse Tahitenne. It was loved so much, especially the sauce that poured in the middle.:

Murano2DessertTwo.jpg

During the brunch buffet, there was so many dessert options that I had to take five of them to avoid showing any favoritism. Got to be fair!!:

SolsticeBuffetDesserts5x.jpg

For the handy and quick Oceanview Cafe buffet, here is one visual sample showing how large and open are these various serving areas. This area includes getting items from the pizza-pasta bar area, various hot and cold items, free tea and juice machines, etc.:

SolsticeOceanviewBuffet1.jpg

The food was not great. I lost 3.5 pounds on the cruise and I was not trying to. The desserts in the buffet were pretty bad. I think I only finished two. One bite was enough for the rest.

I think the opinions are based on what people are used to. I have family members who can't cook well and they feel olive garden is great. IMO it's just sit down fast food and not that good. I don't care for chain restaurants in general. I find I can usually prepare the dishes better at home.

The food in the MDR was anywhere from decent, to just plain bad. I did not have anything that was great!

The buffet was just that, an average buffet. I was told the food on celebrity ship was excellent. I found it to be ok.

The food was not great. I lost 3.5 pounds on the cruise and I was not trying to. The desserts in the buffet were pretty bad. I think I only finished two. One bite was enough for the rest.

I think the opinions are based on what people are used to. I have family members who can't cook well and they feel olive garden is great. IMO it's just sit down fast food and not that good. I don't care for chain restaurants in general. I find I can usually prepare the dishes better at home.

The food in the MDR was anywhere from decent, to just plain bad. I did not have anything that was great!

The buffet was just that, an average buffet. I was told the food on celebrity ship was excellent. I found it to be ok.

Well look at it this way...you went on a cruise and lost weight. Not everyone can attest to that.

I travel alot, and food and cooking is a hobby of mine. I sailed on a Celebrity cruise for the first time in January on the Infinity. I was in Aqua class but I also ate in the MDR twice. I have previously sailed on Regent , which is smaller and alot more expensive.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at the food quality. Most of my dinners in Blu were really good. Even the lunch buffet was pretty good, especially Asian delights.

I wasn't expecting 5 star food, it wouldn't be realistic on any cruise ship.

The MDR food was as good as you could expect when serving 2000 people. The ambiance is terrific though, and they try.

Qsine was as good as any new trendy big city restaurant, I was surprised.

I thought that Celebrity's food rivals that of Regent which costs 2-3 times more.

I cannot understand why so many people give the cruise lines a pass on food quality because they are serving 2000 people. Tender prime steaks are tender prime steaks regardless of the number of people being served. Hearty, not watery, soups are hearty regardless of the number of people being served. Nice 6 or 8 oz lobster tailes are 6 or 8 oz lobster tails regardless of the number of people being served. Delicious deserts are delicious regardless of the number of people being served. No one is expecting 5* food and most realize that food might not be at the precise serving temperature as it would be in a restaurant (although I have not frequently had this complaint). Again, if the cruise lines are going to serve banquet style food then advertise it that way. Don't keep telling me in every ad and every night in the MDR that I am going to get a fantastic culinary experience.

I travel alot, and food and cooking is a hobby of mine. I sailed on a Celebrity cruise for the first time in January on the Infinity. I was in Aqua class but I also ate in the MDR twice. I have previously sailed on Regent , which is smaller and alot more expensive.

Overall I was pleasantly surprised at the food quality. Most of my dinners in Blu were really good. Even the lunch buffet was pretty good, especially Asian delights.

I wasn't expecting 5 star food, it wouldn't be realistic on any cruise ship.

The MDR food was as good as you could expect when serving 2000 people. The ambiance is terrific though, and they try.

Qsine was as good as any new trendy big city restaurant, I was surprised.

I thought that Celebrity's food rivals that of Regent which costs 2-3 times more.

We disagree with the comparison to Regent. We have cruised 5 times each on Celebrity and Regent (formerly Raddison). We would note that we have another cruise booked on the Eclipse in 2013. We have not eaten in Blue, but without hesitation we can say that meals in the Regent MDR are far superior to those in Celebrity's MDR in both quality and presentation (We might exclude the superb MDR meals served to us on a Horizon cruise in 1990). On the 1/29/12 Silhouette cruise, we found that the food tasted bland for too many items. The menu is exciting, but something is lost in the execution and presentation; on many nights (but not all) we were disappointed when the meal arrived. We took our grandchildren on a Norwegian cruise recently and we would suggest that the MDR meals on Celebrity are closer to (but slightly better) than those of the Norwegian Dawn MDR (athough we thought that the Dawn's specialty resturants were equal to or better than those on Celebrity).

I must live in the wrong part of the country. The buffet reminds me of banquet food, but.....nowhere in my town of 60,000 can I get escargot. If onion soup should appear on the menu, the cook does not understand caramelizing. Lamb virtually never appears, and if it does, it's not very good. Creme brulee and baba au rhum are a foreign language, and no one knows what Bearnaise is. If I drive to Indianapolis a four or five course meal in a very good restaurant is well north of $100. Many of you must live in culinary paradise. By the way, I have dined all over the US and in about 50 foreign countries, including a meal prepared by the Kennedy's chef, and I prepare dishes from around the world myself and one of the best meals I have ever eaten was in the specialty restaurant on the Millenium.

Archived