Puerto Vallarta ?

sternfanla

What is the name of the board walk that they re did and I think the Cheeky Monkey is here?And I think it was a short cab ride to here. And does any body know the price of the cab ride? Thanksl.

That is the Malecon. The cabs inside the terminal charge per person. It will be US$ 4.- person I think. Yellowcabs outside the terminal charge per ride, that might be Pesos 70.-/80,- if you go to the Malecon.

Busride just Pesos 6.50 per person.

Cheeky Monkey also now has Sea Monkey - right on the beach, a bit more south. Between the original Malecon and Playa Los Muertes.

What is the name of the board walk that they re did and I think the Cheeky Monkey is here?And I think it was a short cab ride to here. And does any body know the price of the cab ride? Thanksl.

Hey Neighbor !!! Talk to me on the Splendor -- I can tell you a lot about PV. (I live in Azusa)

Like INE says -- Bus ride is a little over 50 cents US, and it is an experience !!!! It is about four miles from the cruise ship piers to the Malecon.

This was certainly not in the centre of vallarta. Unfortunate incident indeed but nobody was hurt.

Plenty of places in the world where this could have happened, be it the caribean, europe or the usa.

This was certainly not in the centre of vallarta. Unfortunate incident indeed but nobody was hurt.

Plenty of places in the world where this could have happened, be it the caribean, europe or the usa.

Doesn't matter where it happened in PV, it was a ship-sponsored excursion. If Carnival can't ensure passenger safety, there won't be any more of the "bussed" excursions.

Doesn't matter where it happened in PV, it was a ship-sponsored excursion. If Carnival can't ensure passenger safety, there won't be any more of the "bussed" excursions.

The fact is, it happened in an area that has been targeted by robbers before.

Carnival surely had to have know this......For the life of me I can not understand why a cruise ship would offer a bus tour in that area?:confused:

Carnival surely had to have know this......For the life of me I can not understand why a cruise ship would offer a bus tour in that area?:confused:

Absolutely right. There have been numerous reports of these incidents. If Carnival keeps PV as a port they will probably stick to excursions near the tourist area. :(

Absolutely right. There have been numerous reports of these incidents. If Carnival keeps PV as a port they will probably stick to excursions near the tourist area. :(

That would suck for the cruisers cause a lot of the best areas are away from the tourist areas......but I totally get what you are saying :)

I would not be a fan of a bus full of tourists going up a small mountain road, in the middle of a jungle, every week at exactly the same time......This would be a robber's buffet paradise anywhere in the world.

That would suck for the cruisers cause a lot of the best areas are away from the tourist areas......but I totally get what you are saying :)

I would not be a fan of a bus full of tourists going up a small mountain road, in the middle of a jungle, every week at exactly the same time......This would be a robber's buffet paradise anywhere in the world.

Very well said. And as my DH pointed out, criminals are not forward thinking individuals. So, they robbed this bus and now Carnival has stopped that excursion. What they probably thought was going to be a gravy train became a one-time shot. I feel bad for the passengers as one of the reasons excursions are booked thru the cruise line is safety. We leave on Sunday for this itinerary. It will be interesting to see what happens when we get to PV.

So much for the safety/peace of mind your supposed to get when you book a ship sponsored tour. I'm very curious what Carnival plans are for PV. It might soon be a Baja California cruise with 2 days Cabo and 1 day La Paz. Or would they dare go 3 straight days to Cabo.

I can't imagine how scary that is to be trapped in a bus with masked gunmen robbing everybody. I guess they're really lucky they didn't hijack the bus or injure anybody. The guide should of told the bus driver to not stop and just FLOOR IT!!

IS LAS CALETAS SAFE??? i dont think there is any bussing involved but it is still a very remote area?

boat access only...it would be extremely difficult for anyone to be there without staff noticing...quite a hike through the jungle...

it just kinda makes me nervous because there would be no way to make a quick exit if need be

If you really are that nervous about things, then maybe consider just staying on ship. I know when Splendor went to Mazatlan, that port day was almost like a sea day with the amount of people who stayed on the ship. But no one is forcing you to take this excursion, this would be a personal decision if you feel safe enough to take any excursion. This is why I predict eventually cruiselines with pull out of the MR all together.

What happened? We're going there on a carnival ship and want to know what to avoid.

A bus full of American tourists wearing jewelry, carrying passports, money, cameras and NOT carrying weapons that's probably a good 20-30 miles OUT AND AWAY from the city and port area... what's a more perfect setup for a group of banditos? Not worried in the least about taking a cab or the public bus from the port area to the Malecon in PV.

That bus would be the LAST place you'd find me on this trip.

Just sayin'

H

So much for the safety/peace of mind your supposed to get when you book a ship sponsored tour. I'm very curious what Carnival plans are for PV. It might soon be a Baja California cruise with 2 days Cabo and 1 day La Paz. Or would they dare go 3 straight days to Cabo.

!

3 days in Cabo would keep me away. I already don't like the idea of 2 days there, wish it was 1 day in Cabo and 1 day in La Paz instead. If it ever becomes a 7-day Baja cruise, Ensenada, Cabo, La Paz would be the best itinerary.

Actually, relatively few, almost no. other such destinations experience a similar problem. I think this was a very isolated incident, bujt I wouldn't want to underplay the seriousness.

I agree, we visited La Paz in '09 and liked it a lot. Of course, I wonder how its doing these days...it is far away from other cities...but that can be bad too...

We had the great good fortune to be re-routed to La Paz in Oct 2012 -- it was once again delightful, the people were friendly, the bus guide on the shuttle said the # of cruises going there has decreased dramatically and it has affected the town. The vendors at the dock in Pichilingue (sp??) all seemed anxious to make sales, and I suspect the lack of tourists is really hurting the people :(

We saw no overt evidence of safety concerns, and we did a fair amount of walking away from the malecon.

was on the Splendor sailing in feb with the incident. a lot of us went zipling on a bus and we took a taxi ride for dinner after driver waited for us to finish and took us back to ship. the robbery wasn't on the bus he caught them walking back to bus only 1 person. at least nobody got hurt. CCL has cxl all of these excursions. we felt safe all day in PV even walking around downtown, but like anywhere else just be awhere of whats around you and where you at. looking to go again to MR next yr if still sailing their.

Archived