fuel surcharges, the clock is ticking

netgear2020

Anyone who thinks we can drill our way to lower fuel prices, please contact Sarah who has a bridge to nowhere in Alaska for sale. Oil regardless of where it comes from is price on the open market, so when you have this ridiculous talk about bombing Iran, it will effect the price per barrel.

Nice attempte at liberal drivel talking points; however, IF we ever get serious about domestic drilling, the price of oil (and thus gas) would plummet, and well before the oil and gas from those currently untapped resources became available. The ME countries would drop the price of a barrel of oil overnight in hopes that we would never start drilling, but first they have to know we are serious.

Anyone who thinks we can drill our way to lower fuel prices, please contact Sarah who has a bridge to nowhere in Alaska for sale. Oil regardless of where it comes from is price on the open market, so when you have this ridiculous talk about bombing Iran, it will effect the price per barrel.

You don't need to have Sarah contact me but I find it incredulous that you don't think drilling for more oil domestically will not help the supply/ price issue.

I also have a word for you - Keystone. Amazing that the current political power will not fast track this pipeline. Especially knowing that the Chinese want Canada to send the oil to them instead.

Now I will go back to praying that RCCL doesn't add a fuel surcharge since my cruise in May is 15 nights!

I agree with you Sarah. It is not about drilling or scarcity, it is about greed.

Sharon

While the quote is accurate relative to today's production numbers, the reality is that every one of the leases and permits that were executed in order to enable this increase in production was executed prior to the current administration taking office. There have been a total of zero new leases or permits executed in the past three years. It takes an average of five years between permitting and a well coming online.:)

Looks like your information may be in error:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/mar/29/michele-bachmann/michele-bachmann-claims-there-has-been-just-one-ne/

"Prior to the gulf disaster, the Obama administration reported approving 217 new well permits (shallow and deepwater)."

"According to the BOEMRE (Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement) report, 39 shallow-water permits for new wells have been issued since June 8, 2010, when new rules and information requirements were put into effect. Shallow water drilling operations were not affected by the deepwater drilling moratorium following the gulf oil spill. And there were lots more shallow-water well permits issued by the Obama administration prior to June 8, 2010.

In addition, there have been six deepwater well permits issued since Oct. 12, 2010, when the gulf moratorium was lifted. Five of those were for projects that were under way prior to the moratorium. The operators were required to come back and meet the new, modified standards."

I dont really like the way oil prices are going , I think thsi year we will see a fuel surcharge back in our invoice, I know so way is already in the price , but the cruise cant handle anything above 100$ a barrel

This is something that is completely out of your control; nothing you do or say can impact whether it happens or not. Only thing you can do is wait and see. Why spend time and energy on something you can't influence?

We get what we deserve! We could be floating in oil but NOOO, we let one very small group of people prevent us from drilling.....so get ready for the fuel surchage and for $5.00 a gallon as the year progresses in you family car...unless you drive a $41,000 volt (but then only for 40 miles).

Agree 100%.

So bringing more oil to market would have no effect on the price of oil? LOL. That is laughable. Ever hear of supply and demand? It is basic economics.

Looks like your information may be in error:

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-meter/statements/2011/mar/29/michele-bachmann/michele-bachmann-claims-there-has-been-just-one-ne/

"Prior to the gulf disaster, the Obama administration reported approving 217 new well permits (shallow and deepwater)."

"According to the BOEMRE (Bureau of Ocean Energy Management, Regulation and Enforcement) report, 39 shallow-water permits for new wells have been issued since June 8, 2010, when new rules and information requirements were put into effect. Shallow water drilling operations were not affected by the deepwater drilling moratorium following the gulf oil spill. And there were lots more shallow-water well permits issued by the Obama administration prior to June 8, 2010.

In addition, there have been six deepwater well permits issued since Oct. 12, 2010, when the gulf moratorium was lifted. Five of those were for projects that were under way prior to the moratorium. The operators were required to come back and meet the new, modified standards."

You missed the point. All of those permits were already in the system, and sitting on DOE's docket for release when the current administration came into office. The administration's reluctance in clearing the backlog of already legally-binding permits is the main reason there was such an outcry from the industry when the moratorium was imposed. To now take credit is disingenuous at best. Check the DOE records and see how many new applications for permits or leases have been accepted for review, or approval by DOE since then.

Once the cruiselines release their 10-K's, and articulate the status of their current hedges, there will be more clarity on whether they can ride out the current price spike w/o introducing surcharges.

You missed the point. All of those permits were already in the system, and sitting on DOE's docket for release when the current administration came into office. The administration's reluctance in clearing the backlog of already legally-binding permits is the main reason there was such an outcry from the industry when the moratorium was imposed. To now take credit is disingenuous at best. Check the DOE records and see how many new applications for permits or leases have been accepted for review, or approval by DOE since then.

Am I missing something here?

According to the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement:

Shallow water permits: To date, 112 new shallow water well permits have been issued since the implementation of new safety and environmental standards on June 8, 2010. Just 6 of these permits are currently pending; with 12 having been returned to the operator for more information.

Deepwater permits requiring subsea containment: Since an applicant first successfully demonstrated containment capabilities in mid-February 2011, we have approved 307 of these permits for 94 unique wells, with 30 permits pending, and 17 permits returned to the operator with requests for additional information, particularly information regarding containment.

Deepwater activities not requiring subsea containment: Since the implementation of new safety and environmental standards, 60 of these permits have been approved, with 2 permits pending, and 1 permits returned to the operator with requests for additional information. These activities include water injection wells and procedures using surface blowout preventers.

Am I missing something here?

According to the Bureau of Safety and Environmental Enforcement:

Shallow water permits: To date, 112 new shallow water well permits have been issued since the implementation of new safety and environmental standards on June 8, 2010. Just 6 of these permits are currently pending; with 12 having been returned to the operator for more information.

Deepwater permits requiring subsea containment: Since an applicant first successfully demonstrated containment capabilities in mid-February 2011, we have approved 307 of these permits for 94 unique wells, with 30 permits pending, and 17 permits returned to the operator with requests for additional information, particularly information regarding containment.

Deepwater activities not requiring subsea containment: Since the implementation of new safety and environmental standards, 60 of these permits have been approved, with 2 permits pending, and 1 permits returned to the operator with requests for additional information. These activities include water injection wells and procedures using surface blowout preventers.

Yep, but you need to understand the length and complexity of the permitting process and the number of alphabet agencies that they need to go through in order to see it. What this statement says is that DOE, EPA, etc. required those 307 applicants to go back and re-do their data, change their implementation methodology, and apply a new set of rules to their existing applications, not that any of those applications was "new". The process takes anywhere from three years to more than ten just to clear the myriad of EPA regulations. The reality is that an application submitted on the day Obama was inaugurated would not make it through the system until late 2012-early 2013 at the earliest.

The reality is that an application submitted on the day Obama was inaugurated would not make it through the system until late 2012-early 2013 at the earliest.

I would rather have the applicants jump through hoops and spend years in the process of getting approved than rush through the process and have a dozen oil well tragedies erupt in the Gulf of Mexico.

I would rather have the applicants jump through hoops and spend years in the process of getting approved than rush through the process and have a dozen oil well tragedies erupt in the Gulf of Mexico.

My son works on offshore oil rigs and Obama's actions after the BP disaster have set us back big time in drilling and exploration offshore.

My son was laid off for 8 months because of Obama's moratorium and although he was called back to work many more have not because many of the rigs that would be drilling for us were contracted to other places in the world when the moratorium was put in place.

You can't just turn the switch on and off on these activities. I also would like to see a credible response to Obama's decision to not fast track the Keystone pipeline that would have addressed two pressing issues - oil supply and jobs. There is a good chance that oil supply will now be committed to China by Canada and I would not blame them.

My son works on offshore oil rigs and Obama's actions after the BP disaster have set us back big time in drilling and exploration offshore.

My son was laid off for 8 months because of Obama's moratorium and although he was called back to work many more have not because many of the rigs that would be drilling for us were contracted to other places in the world when the moratorium was put in place.

You can't just turn the switch on and off on these activities. I also would like to see a credible response to Obama's decision to not fast track the Keystone pipeline that would have addressed two pressing issues - oil supply and jobs. There is a good chance that oil supply will now be committed to China by Canada and I would not blame them.

The enormous impact on gainful employment could also be seen in the canneries that closed their doors, fishing boats that lay idle, empty restaurants and hotels, and the near shutdown of the entire gulf coast tourism industry because of a single oil well accident. The oil gushed into the gulf unchecked for three solid months and killed countless wildlife at sea and ashore, destroyed pristine wetlands, and wreaked havoc on the tourism industry of four states. Or have you forgotten that part? It was the worst environmental disaster in US history, the effects on wildlife, states economies, the health of coastal residents, and a devastated tourism which were still being felt a year after the accident, and should not be forgotten.

And it bears repeating that our gas prices have absolutely nothing to do with supply and demand in this country. The supply is here, the demand is in countries like China, and the Keystone XL project will only send it to Texas refineries that will then ship the finished product overseas to Europe and Asia where they can get the highest return for their investment.

All it will take is another Deepwater Horizon event to have all of you 'drill baby drill' Palin want-to-be's that want instant approval of permits to say 'Hey, they didn't do their job and make sure it was safe!"

BP Oil disaster showing the oil spill just 30 days into a non-stop 3-month event of gushing oil that came from an uncapped well on the sea bed floor:

6788033406_8f11d037e8_b.jpg

Here in Central Florida Prices for gas are ranging from $3.67 - $3.73 (on Disney Property). I bet the 2 gas stations on 436 by OIA are well over $5 probably close to $6 per gallon.

I have always found the Hess Station on Disney Property to be a lot cheaper than the off site gas stations. Could never figure out why, since Disney is notorious for price gouging everything, you would think rent would be insane for the gas station.

I have always found the Hess Station on Disney Property to be a lot cheaper than the off site gas stations. Could never figure out why, since Disney is notorious for price gouging everything, you would think rent would be insane for the gas station.

Once they get you on property, they want to keep you on property. Anything that would cause you (and your wallet) to leave is factored out of the equation.

Here in NJ (at least in my little corner of the state), I paid $3.499 on Friday evening after work. The same station was at $3.519 on Saturday and $3.599 on Sunday. They are raising the prices each day, but can only raise them once in a 24 hour period. On the Turnpike, the prices can only be raised once per week so by the end of a week of rising gas prices, sometimes these stations can be cheaper by as much as $.15 to $.25 per gallon before they raise the price.

Now, the benefit in NJ is that we do not pump our own gas so every station is full service.

Uh this probably would be better remaining apolitical. Just talking about the possibility of fuel surcharge not political reasons for why

I understand where you're coming from, but it's kind of hard to keep politics out of this one. Most commodities (products, services, etc.) in a free market are priced according to the intersection of the supply and demand curves. But the price of oil is affected by a number of external factors, and yes, the political decisions of those in power most certainly are included.

I couldn't resist and give you an idea of the cost of gas over here in the UK in comparison with your "cheap" prices. :D

No flaming please, I feel your pain and understand the price increases that have taken place over recent years, but trust me it's no picnic over this side of the pond either.

To perform a price comparison I have to first convert the price in litres that is used in Europe to that equivalent of a US gallon.

There are approximately 3.79 litres in a US gallon. So at a price of £1.339 per litre for 'regular' (always expressed in pence here, so you will see 133.9 at the pump) that converts to nearly £5.08 for a US gallon.

Using an exchange rate for the GBP £ to US $ of £1 = $1.5269, this equates to $7.76 per gallon!

The same calculation for a gallon of 'premium' makes it around $8.04 a gallon.

Now if I were in Ireland, I'd be paying the equivalent of $8.20 a gallon, only for regular, ouch!

Germany, $7.80 per gallon, Denmark $8.56, France $7.80 for example of some European prices.

You'll get no flaming from me. I feel your pain at those outrageous prices. However, this too enters the realm of the political, in that a good chunk of Europe's high prices are due to much higher taxes than are assessed here in the United States. We could argue all day as to what the tax rates on gasoline should be, and what the revenues collected should be used for; but the fact remains that gasoline costs more in Europe than it does in the U.S. in large part due to the higher level of taxation imposed in Europe.

Archived