Decorating Door

CAsunnyA1

Just wanted to know for those of you who have decorated their doors in the past, we will be on the Oasis in July & want to decorate our friends door secretly for their Anniversary while they are asleep the first night. Do you think this will work, or do you think they will hear something being placed on their door. Also, have you decorated with putting up a big sheet of paper on first or have you just put your decorations right on the door. I plan on putting lots of pictures on along with a Happy Anniversary sign. I might even try to decorate it sometime while I know they are sitting out at the pool or bar that first day we board. Will scotch tape work, or masking tape? I've seen some suggestions as to using magnets, but are the Oasis's doors wood or metal? Thanks for any suggestions...

Just wanted to know for those of you who have decorated their doors in the past, we will be on the Oasis in July & want to decorate our friends door secretly for their Anniversary while they are asleep the first night. Do you think this will work, or do you think they will hear something being placed on their door. Also, have you decorated with putting up a big sheet of paper on first or have you just put your decorations right on the door. I plan on putting lots of pictures on along with a Happy Anniversary sign. I might even try to decorate it sometime while I know they are sitting out at the pool or bar that first day we board. Will scotch tape work, or masking tape? I've seen some suggestions as to using magnets, but are the Oasis's doors wood or metal? Thanks for any suggestions...

For my husband's birthday, I decorated our door with some cardboard "Happy Birthday" signs I had gotten at the party store. I used scotch tape. They stayed up well and did not leave any marks when we removed them.

Magnets work so well! Be careful using anything that will mar the surface of the door.

Yes, I would use magnets too. We have seen many doors that had to be touched

up with paint to cover the marks that the tape had left.

Note: I always put my magnets up as high as possible to avoid the smaller "darlin's"

taking off with them. The big "kids" I can't control. Just be sure to use magnets

that you don't mind losing. :(

BTW: You can also purchase a "happy anniversary" package from RCI in advance from the website, or calling

RCI direct. Room steward will have the room decorated upon check in. That is always fun too! :)

This past December we were 3 cabins and I played fairy and decorated the doors of all our cabins. I did it in the morning while I knew the others would be dressing to meet us. Shower water was very helpful. But I would suggest ding it while the cabin is empty as I had to freeze a few times when the cabin got quiet. One couple was shocked and could not figure out what happened. The other room was my sister's and she knew right away. I used tape and had no problem. There were Diamond celebration magnets on the door when we arrived and I incorporated them as well. i say tape or flat magnet tape is the way to go. hard magnets will disappear if they have any appeal and may also scratch the door. Everyone passing by when you do the decorating gets a big kick out of it. I love being able to find my door at a glance too. Plan to do some decorating every time we sail from now on. The dollar store always has something fun so I'm sure we'll have some fun doors to come. Enjoy your trip.

Oh goodie, goodie goodie. I am so glad to see that RCCL's are decorating thier doors. DCL folks have been doing this for years! I have bags of magenetic door signs that I have used and we switch ours onboard everyday based on where the ship is or what's going on for that day on DCL. Now, I know that's alot, but I haven't even mentioned the "Fish Extenders" we do! LOL! Okay, maybe another time.

Anyway, I always decorate my cabin door no matter what ship or cruiseline I sail on. It really helps me find my cabin on a cruise and though I don't go as over board as I usally do I always have at least one sign up. The doors on the cruiseships are metal, so magnets work well. Please do not use tape or anything that will mark up the doors or the cruiseline's won't let us do this anymore.

My tips....

• use hard card stock or thick paper to print your picture or door sign out on. Then go to Walmart or the craft store and stick a magnet to whatever you printed. You can also stick the magents to anything you buy or have on hand. The magents come as small silver bottons with one side being sticky and the other magnetic or you can get in a roll (like tape comes) or in strips.
  • You can laminate your printed signs if you want to reuse them and you can even print them directly on magnetic paper if your printer can do that. Mine always got stuck in the rollers, so I switched to the magnetic roll tape and megnetic strips.
  • Do not put up anything you wouldn't want to lose. Sneaky people like moving or taking them, probably cause the wish they had thought of doing this themselves. I have never lost anything on DCL as door decorating is to common of a thing on there, but on other cruisline's it has happened.
  • Don't give out your life story on your magnets. Let's face it, identy theft is a problem. So say you want to use your name...for instance, I have put our last name and then family cruise and decorated several doors with that sign. But, I would never put up our last name and the first names of everyone in our party. My magnet door sign for my upcoming cruise will probably just say "An Allure-ing Anniversary -celebrating 20 years together."

Email me if you want to see my DCL door signs for inspiration. :)

I also used a magnet sheet, looks like a thick piece of glossy paper, bought at the local office supply store. It worked great. I incorporated pictures off of my computer and printed right on the paper. All the work is done before you cruise, all you do is place on the door. You could get really creative !! ;)

When I do our door signs from my Scrapbooking program, and print them out on the Photo paper, I use the Avery Magnet Sheets, and use a double sided stick tape to afix the sign to that. Then all you do is attach the magnet sheet to the door, no scotch tape needed. I don't like to run the Magnet sheets thru my printer because it is thicker and may get jammed, so use regular Photo paper & attach that to the sheets.

If you're going to use magnets, no need to pay for them. Instead, recycle some of those freebies that you have already: A pizza delivery phone number magnet, a sports team's last-year's schedule. I get free magnets all the time.

However, I suggest the putty-stuff that teachers use on their walls. I have had ship doors with "grooves" that made magnet placement difficult.

Like others have said, Magnet's rule! Use them whenever you can, note that some suite doors are not metal so you'll have to carefully use tape.

305793_10150373541443566_194340658565_8306856_1850247320_n.jpg

This is on a suite door on Freedom.

17550_419803920369_681415369_10586654_6144439_n.jpg

This is inside a cabin on the metal walls with a magnet back.

I buy decorations from Party City and affix magnetic tape to the back. The doors and walls are metal, so they stick very easily. I got a large roll of magnetic tape from Michael's for under $5.

To prevent someone from taking them, I usually write our first names on the front and our cabin # on the back. Our New Year's decorations didn't have space for that, so I wrote our last name and cabin # on the back.

If you're going to use magnets, no need to pay for them. Instead, recycle some of those freebies that you have already: A pizza delivery phone number magnet, a sports team's last-year's schedule. I get free magnets all the time.

Excellent idea - those little calendar ones come to mind. I'm going to gather ad magnets over the next few months to use. I've thought of decorating the door every time, but have never actually done it on any of our past cruises... this could be kinda fun, especially when you have a group sailing together.

Excellent idea - those little calendar ones come to mind. I'm going to gather ad magnets over the next few months to use. I've thought of decorating the door every time, but have never actually done it on any of our past cruises... this could be kinda fun, especially when you have a group sailing together.

Also a great idea!! I saved my "Diamonds" door magnets from last year. Will use them

for the decorations. :)

On our TA, several of us made up door signs for those that asked, one being our Roll Call sign and then our CC Sign. Since I had the room numbers of our RC Members I merely walked around and put their signs on the doors rather then trying to locate them on the LOS.:). For those who enjoy doing Scrapbooking, you can make up some fabulous signs using the templates on the program.

For those who enjoy doing Scrapbooking, you can make up some fabulous signs using the templates on the program.

Another great idea! My mom is big into scrapbooking... I'm going to give her this idea and see what she comes up with. Then I'll stick'em with my recycled magnets ;)

Oh goodie, goodie goodie. I am so glad to see that RCCL's are decorating thier doors. DCL folks have been doing this for years! I have bags of magenetic door signs that I have used and we switch ours onboard everyday based on where the ship is or what's going on for that day on DCL. Now, I know that's alot, but I haven't even mentioned the "Fish Extenders" we do! LOL! Okay, maybe another time.

Anyway, I always decorate my cabin door no matter what ship or cruiseline I sail on. It really helps me find my cabin on a cruise and though I don't go as over board as I usally do I always have at least one sign up. The doors on the cruiseships are metal, so magnets work well. Please do not use tape or anything that will mark up the doors or the cruiseline's won't let us do this anymore.

My tips....

• use hard card stock or thick paper to print your picture or door sign out on. Then go to Walmart or the craft store and stick a magnet to whatever you printed. You can also stick the magents to anything you buy or have on hand. The magents come as small silver bottons with one side being sticky and the other magnetic or you can get in a roll (like tape comes) or in strips.
  • You can laminate your printed signs if you want to reuse them and you can even print them directly on magnetic paper if your printer can do that. Mine always got stuck in the rollers, so I switched to the magnetic roll tape and megnetic strips.
  • Do not put up anything you wouldn't want to lose. Sneaky people like moving or taking them, probably cause the wish they had thought of doing this themselves. I have never lost anything on DCL as door decorating is to common of a thing on there, but on other cruisline's it has happened.
  • Don't give out your life story on your magnets. Let's face it, identy theft is a problem. So say you want to use your name...for instance, I have put our last name and then family cruise and decorated several doors with that sign. But, I would never put up our last name and the first names of everyone in our party. My magnet door sign for my upcoming cruise will probably just say "An Allure-ing Anniversary -celebrating 20 years together."

Email me if you want to see my DCL door signs for inspiration. :)

I make laminated door signs for the MIXED NUTZ CRUISE GROUP. ( cruise critic names only on them ) I use a roll out self stick magnetic tape. I only have to make signs for the new folks as all the old members keep the heavy stock thick laminated sign. I make signs as you do for individual days. Example... BEACH DAY....... MEET ME AT THE POOL....... ORIENT BEACH.......... BALCONY PARTY AT 5PM and etc. Plastic window stick on work also. We'll have a contest for door decorating on Allure on April 29, 2012 I'm trying to think of something....... different for this time....lol

Typically, we are AFT cruisers and nobody goes all the way back there unless they belong there. Never lost anything off a door there....however..... some of us at midships have. ( I bring extra door signs just in case....lol.

However, I suggest the putty-stuff that teachers use on their walls. I have had ship doors with "grooves" that made magnet placement difficult.

You are quite correct about grooves

I make laminated door signs for the MIXED NUTZ CRUISE GROUP. ( cruise critic names only on them ) I use a roll out self stick magnetic tape. I only have to make signs for the new folks as all the old members keep the heavy stock thick laminated sign. I make signs as you do for individual days. Example... BEACH DAY....... MEET ME AT THE POOL....... ORIENT BEACH.......... BALCONY PARTY AT 5PM and etc. Plastic window stick on work also. We'll have a contest for door decorating on Allure on April 29, 2012 I'm trying to think of something....... different for this time....lol

Typically, we are AFT cruisers and nobody goes all the way back there unless they belong there. Never lost anything off a door there....however..... some of us at midships have. ( I bring extra door signs just in case....lol.

I love it!!!! Wish I was on the same cruise as you all, I would have loved to join your door decorting contest. But, alas I am just so darn gald to see that I am not the only one that does this. For me it's part of the excitement of the cruise, creating and making my door magnets. :)

Thanks for sharing!

Ren, I love to make up our CC sign from the Scrapbook Factory program. A few I made up for our group on our TA last Oct, I started with the State they were from, then used a Graphic depicting the State, then used their Screen name and regular name, You can move the Graphic & names around to any positon you want and as far as the Titals or names, it can be arched, straight, wavy. if you want to make up a Roll Call sign, then you have many backgrounds you can choose from. This will give you an idea what you can do with it. http://community.webshots.com/photo/2535652870104352365jNWxNH

Ren, I love to make up our CC sign from the Scrapbook Factory program. A few I made up for our group on our TA last Oct, I started with the State they were from, then used a Graphic depicting the State, then used their Screen name and regular name, You can move the Graphic & names around to any positon you want and as far as the Titals or names, it can be arched, straight, wavy. if you want to make up a Roll Call sign, then you have many backgrounds you can choose from. This will give you an idea what you can do with it. http://community.webshots.com/photo/2535652870104352365jNWxNH

Thanks for the ideas! I'm not a scrapbooker, so I don't have any of the programs. I'll have to see if I can come up with a way to make something like your picture. However, I'm going to pass this info along to my mom, she's always looking for new things to make for our group. She made us each the most amazing scrapbook/journal last time. Since I've always wanted to decorate the doors, I'm sure she can come up with some neat designs that we can turn into magnets and such. Will make great mementos.

Ren your welcome, if it hadn't been for the program I doubt I could come up with the differant designs, the program gives you more options and is so easy to use. http://www.novadevelopment.com/software/scrapbook-factory-deluxe-129016

Let me add, you can choose from a photo you took or from the programs Library, then accents can be added to touch it up. Your mother might really enjoy playing with this program. I made up a Family Album for my sister using the program

Gay

Archived