Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

FYI... I just got a call from our travel agent (we are scheduled to be on the April 23 departure). I was told that yes, the ship will sail on Sunday, April 24. We will receive a $125 per-person on-board credit in addition to a 25% discount on a future cruise.

If the ship sails on the 23rd, then surely it must be sailing on the 30th for a repositioning cruise. :D

Wow, this is my 4th time in 2 days posting a new page! :D :p :D

One of those four guys in the picture looks just like Spicoli. I bet he is even saying "My dad is a TV repairman, he has an awesome set of tools....I can fix it."

I wonder if they switched to Geico?

The NFL is upset with the referring to the gash as Football sized and wants another term used.

I guess the bartender misheard him, "Durnit I said Tanqueray on the Rocks!"

Kruz: That's funny!!!!! :D :D :D

That is a great picture !! Looks like my "Dad looking at the damage" I did to his car as a kid!!!

That looks alot like we were when the daughter wrecked daddy's car. Only thing missing in this picture is his tears!!! lol

I'd say the "football" sized gash is more CFL (Canadian Football League) sized. We've got bigger balls. Haha...

Photos are on CruiseJournals. The link doesn't work on this board though.

LOL..didn't they say "football shaped"? :)

Laura :)

So is the ship still docked in Costa Maya and how are the repairs progressing?

I'm not sure how comfortable I would be in traveling back to New Orleans with a temporary patch but I probably would stay with the ship rather than trying to fly or bus my way to a bigger airport to get home.

Have a great next cruise or at one that doesn't have a wreck with a dock.

Those are officer/management cabins that got damaged, so you can bet this one is going to get fixed quick. If it was just crew, I'd say it might take a while, but they're probably on this one like flies to...

Cheers!

Jeff Birmingham

CruiseJournals - Cruise Community Pages

Whew!! just read through 9 pages of posts... :eek:

3x's:

Doesn't look anything like "football shape" to me. I see it as a big whole!

Either way, it's a hole (pardon my pun) lot of 'nastiness' there!

Looks like a giant ship-eating SHARK got at it. :p

Glad that everyone is safe though.

I think someone, either Captain or Pilot (or both) is going to have some explaining to do. What happened to the bow thrusters I wonder. It almost looks like they failed maybe. Hmmmm....

Usually, when a ship is docking, the pilot is the one in control...so it'll be interesting to see how this develops. It's entirely possible the RCI had nothing to do with this, and just stood there while a Mexican pilot crashed their ship.

Cheers!

Jeff Birmingham

CruiseJournals - Cruise Community Pages

Harbour Pilots do not operate the controls of the ships they are on. They tell the crew were to go and ensure the ship travels the seaways into and out of port. For the docking and undocking the ships bridge crew are always in control. If you think about it it only makes sense. Every ship is different. The controls, the power of the engines, the postions and effectiveness of bow thrusters, azipods etc. Harbour pilots cannot be masters of the controls of every vessel (Type of ship) plying the oceans of the world.

I have been on the bridge of several non cruise ship vessels for entries into harbours all over the world and I can assure you they do not take the wheel, the helm or any control device.

Hey everyone,

Glad everyone is safe!

Just thought I would shed a little knowledge on the RCCL policy regarding delays of cruises. We chronicled all the news the last hurricane season and then were aware of what would happen when we were delayed by Hurricane Jeanne on the Mariner 9-26-04 sailing. We ended up two days late and having to be bused to Miami.

Delay policy (as I understand it)

1 day delay: $250 per stateroom ($125pp) on-board credit, and 25% discount off next cruise

2 day delay: $500 per stateroom ($250pp) on-board credit, and 50% discount off next cruise

These were the policies for the entire hurricane season last year. Thought I would try to help. Good luck to everyone!!

SoonerDan, if all of the on-board credit is not used during the cruise, does RCCL apply the remaining credit balance to the passenger's credit card? Is there an expiration date on the discounts?

I will be sailing on the 4/23 cruise.

Fisher Lady,

But the only place in the world the piolt has control over a ship is the Panama Canal. In the 5 or 600 cruises I have done The pilot advises the Captain but never touches the controls. The tug boats are only for show they have never been used on the new ships.

Tj

Yup,

After being on the Bridge of the Serenade last week and speaking to the Captain ... the Pilot NEVER touches the controls of the ship...."they drink coffee and eat donuts"...:)

Archived