Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

That does not look the 30 to 45 foot wide numbers being thrown around earlier.

Im on the Apr 30 and don't want a delay or change in ports.. Aruba is why I booked this cruise...

Thanks for the pics.. I have cross posted the link to this thread on Its Grander on The Granduer rollcall thread.

Kruz: That's funny!!!!! :D :D :D

We are sailing on her out of Baltimore in a month... just make sure that repair will withstand a rogue wave... we have a forward cabin on a lower deck!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

That is a great picture !! Looks like my "Dad looking at the damage" I did to his car as a kid!!!

well as of right now RC has not issued a statement so the travel agents cant give anyone a straight answer. they said by noon eastern time they will have the latest update.

i called my travel agent at 9am (they had just opened) and i told them, at that point they didnt know anything about it, but by 10 they had the memo from RC.

It must be a very difficult pier to dock at. In March on the Splendour of the Seas we missed Costa Maya because the captain said the waves were too rough although it didn't look like it to us. He tried docking it once and then made the announcement that we would miss this port. Seems that our captain was right not to risk it. Meanwhile at the time we were calling him a wimp. Oh well hindsights 20-20 they say. Glad to hear no one was injured that we know of. I hope they treat the passengers like gold and let them comp all there drinks.

I see RCI still hasn't put up anything on their website like they promised at noon....I really can't believe this has not made the news! I sailed Grandeur back over New Year's 98-99. She's a great ship. Hopefully they can repair that gaping hole and return her to service quickly. (I still don't buy the we'll be sailing on Sunday thing. It's a tad bit optimistic to me.)

I do hope that they find a sailing on Saturday for your wedding Jenn and compensate you for it. As a soon-to-be bride, I feel for you. Good luck!

The pic of the guys standing there pointing is quite amusing. I'm quite sure they can see the hole without it being pointed to......

Kruz: That's funny!!!!! :D :D :D

We are sailing on her out of Baltimore in a month... just make sure that repair will withstand a rogue wave... we have a forward cabin on a lower deck!!! :eek: :rolleyes:

That is a great picture !! Looks like my "Dad looking at the damage" I did to his car as a kid!!!

I did something similar to my car as well! Somehow managed to sideswipe a STOP sign!

I sincerely hope that RCL will at least consider giving current passangers a break on their cruise...

Sorry. Call me cynical. ;)

Okay, you're cynical. No matter what they do, someone is going to complain. No doubt the newsies will all be there looking for the most disenchanted passengers. I'm cynical too.

I would like to posit a theory. Wouldn't a Mexican Pilot have been on board during this docking maneuver? Perhaps the M16 toting policia was trying to keep photographic evidence to a minimum that will be used against the pilot operator when the bill comes due.

The pilot has nothing to do with docking the ship, only the captain. The pilot guides the ship in its approach, and then the captain takes over. Costa Maya has a pier that is completely unprotected from the open sea which was probably the reason for the crash. It can happen to even the most experienced captain.

The pilot has nothing to do with docking the ship, only the captain. The pilot guides the ship in its approach, and then the captain takes over. Costa Maya has a pier that is completely unprotected from the open sea which was probably the reason for the crash. It can happen to even the most experienced captain.

That is so NOT true. The pilot is just that a pilot brings the ship into port and does not leave the ship till it is tied up at the dock. The pilot also takes the ship out of port and then gets on the tug after it is out of the dock area completely.

It must be a very difficult pier to dock at. In March on the Splendour of the Seas we missed Costa Maya because the captain said the waves were too rough although it didn't look like it to us. He tried docking it once and then made the announcement that we would miss this port. Seems that our captain was right not to risk it. Meanwhile at the time we were calling him a wimp. Oh well hindsights 20-20 they say. Glad to hear no one was injured that we know of. I hope they treat the passengers like gold and let them comp all there drinks.

Hi Marty:

Were you on the March 19 sailing. We were, and although I know a lot of folks were unhappy about skipping Costa, there was no way given the location of the available berths that he could have docked safely. The combination of the waves and winds both heading straight to the dock would have pushed the ship in. Folks forget that the entire starboard side would be eposd directly to the wind and would serve as one of the biggest sails ever!

If you were on the 19th how did our late arrival effect you trip home?

I would like to posit a theory. Wouldn't a Mexican Pilot have been on board during this docking maneuver? Perhaps the M16 toting policia was trying to keep photographic evidence to a minimum that will be used against the pilot operator when the bill comes due.

Interesting theory, specially since we've had captains tell us on a couple ofl cruises that the port pilot actually takes over controls of the ship. Pilot could be nationality other than Mexican, however, since the harbor as well as cruise industry is multi-national.

Dianne

I'm a news producer at a TV station in Houston, looking to talk directly to anyone on board the Grandeur (either by phone or e-mail.) It would really be ideal if there were someone from Houston on board who could respond to this, or to the e-mail address under my profile.

Thanks everyone!

MikeO

Okay, you're cynical. No matter what they do, someone is going to complain. No doubt the newsies will all be there looking for the most disenchanted passengers. I'm cynical too.

Don't get me wrong -- This isn't going to stop me from cruising. Depending on how RCCL handling things from that point out is whether or not I'd determine if I was going to try to get money back for my cruise.

I understand that these things happen. It's the fact that RCCL isn't bothering to make any kind of statement or disclose anything that is making me question the whole thing.

Those of you who are sailing on the next cruise -- have you gotten information FROM the cruise line, or have you had to call to get information? How about all those people who are supposed to be leaving on this ship on Saturday that now are leaving Sunday and haven't been told yet that there is a problem with the ship? Those who don't frequent cruise critic and other boards are are privvy to the 'first hand' information?

I am not one to jump on a "sue" bandwagon. Again - I understand that these things happen. But customer service is -everything- when situations like this occur.

Archived