Live from the crashed Grandeur in Costa Maya

I just spoke with someone from RCCL who said they have no new information at the moment. That is because that they are busy trying to fly the guests home from Mexico!:eek: I am also scheduled for the April 30th cruise, and that does not sound good....

That is so NOT true. The pilot is just that a pilot brings the ship into port and does not leave the ship till it is tied up at the dock. The pilot also takes the ship out of port and then gets on the tug after it is out of the dock area completely.

Wrong. The captain docks the ship. The pilot is present but is not involved in docking or undocking. I have been present many times for this procedure.

Hi there

Any more updates?

Are you still leaving tonight at midnight?

Are RCI offering you any free drinks any free todays for your day in Costa Maya?

What can you see with regards to repairs?

Thanks everyone for the updates they have been great!

Don't get me wrong -- This isn't going to stop me from cruising. Depending on how RCCL handling things from that point out is whether or not I'd determine if I was going to try to get money back for my cruise.

I understand that these things happen. It's the fact that RCCL isn't bothering to make any kind of statement or disclose anything that is making me question the whole thing.

Those of you who are sailing on the next cruise -- have you gotten information FROM the cruise line, or have you had to call to get information? How about all those people who are supposed to be leaving on this ship on Saturday that now are leaving Sunday and haven't been told yet that there is a problem with the ship? Those who don't frequent cruise critic and other boards are are privvy to the 'first hand' information?

I am not one to jump on a "sue" bandwagon. Again - I understand that these things happen. But customer service is -everything- when situations like this occur.

We are scheduled to leave this Saturday and haven't heard a thing. When we called RCI they play dumb....as usual. Like you said, it wouldn't be a big deal if they would stand up and make a call. I know a lot of $$$ is at stake for them but so do we. I tried to have them go ahead and refund so I can just leave either out of Galveston with them or Galv or NO with Carnival since it appeared there was room but they won't let you do that.....yet....maybe.

I'm cruising next week......I just don't know which boat yet.

Good luck to those trying to get back and a BIG good luck to JennfromDallas who was to get married this Sat on GOS.

Depending on what someone paid for their cabin a $100 stateroom credit might not nearly make up for a missed day. I'd want a credit to my credit card for 1/7th of the cruise cost for each day missed on a seven day cruise.

Anne

And I just thought my day was bad - can't think of a worse place to be stuck than Costa Maya (even being on a cruise ship could not improve Costa Maya - I've been there once and that once to many)

I have to laugh and think either you are young or have been very lucky in where you've been in your life. After serving 20 years in the military, I can think of a lot of places worse than on a cruise ship in Costa Maya. And some of those are right here in the good old USA. There is one state that is a great state with some wonderful people, but I know a place there that I tell everyone, if the world ever needs an enema, I know where to insert it.

Glad the thought of it made you day a little brighter, though, and may the rest of the day be full of sunshine.

That is so NOT true. The pilot is just that a pilot brings the ship into port and does not leave the ship till it is tied up at the dock. The pilot also takes the ship out of port and then gets on the tug after it is out of the dock area completely.

Sorry, you are wrong! The pilot is responsible for navigating the "waterways" to/from the pier, but the Captain calls all the shots in actual docking/undocking.

Man, there has been some bad mojo happening to ships lately! At least our cruise on the Grandeur is much later this year. I feel bad for you guys who were set to go sooner - I hope things work out. I kinda hope this doesn't come out on the news, as the people I invited to join us on the cruise (4 first time cruisers) may consider backing out with this news. Two of them are already a little freaked about the rogue wave thing. I know it's probably stupid, but I'm a little concerned about the future structural integrity if we do hit a huge storm. Thank goodness no one was injured.

The US Coast Guard will not let the ship sail unless they are satisfide that the ship is structurally sound.

im suppose to be leaving on saturday but the RC rep. said its not expected back till sunday between 7-11am ... but they dont have any information on when & if our cruise is even leaving.......

i'm thinking about switching to carnival, just so i can go on a vacation...

Looks like more than a flesh wound to me. If the steel around the hole is bent, they can't just bend it back, they have to replace it too. So I'd say they have a lot of cutting and welding to do to the metal. Not to mention the inside...this is really too bad.....looks like they whacked the pier really hard to me. Judging by the depth of the dent, not just the hole.

Looks like more than a flesh wound to me. If the steel around the hole is bent, they can't just bend it back, they have to replace it too. So I'd say they have a lot of cutting and welding to do to the metal. Not to mention the inside...this is really too bad.....looks like they whacked the pier really hard to me. Judging by the depth of the dent, not just the hole.

Don't forget about momentum. It doesn't take much speed to create damage like this when a 74,000 ton ship strikes a stationary object (ie...the pier.) I realize it looks really bad, and yes, it will take some work. But this is really a reasonably minor repair to be undertaken. They'll get it done fairly quickly.

Hi there

Any more updates?

Are RCI offering you any free drinks any free todays for your day in Costa Maya?

The captain said that a team of experts has assessed the situation and we will know more by 6:00 pm. They did not say that we will be leaving at midnight tonight, just that we have to be back on the ship at midnight, just like we were last night.

He is looking at both short term and long term plans. IF we have enough vacation time, we are welcome to stay on board till the Grandeur can return to New Orleans. He also said something about "if we can't return to New Orleans by the weekend." So, I still think everything is iffy.

Weezi,

It is too late just to up and cancel. You might want to wait until RCI annouces what it wi going to do, maybe delay the departure by one day or cancel. I am on this cruise too, and I am just waiting to see what they say.

Annieeee

Hi there

Any more updates?

Oh, and...so far...no free drinks. No talk of compensation other than flying us back home early from here. They have erected a plywood baricade around the work area. I counted 52 pieces of plywood long.

i asked my travel agent about switching to carnival conquest instead and she said she doesnt know if they will allow us to do that since its a different company. we cant even switch to the 30th departure becuz they havent cancelled the 23rd yet.

i really dont want to loose a port, i'd rather switch to the 30th. i wish they would hurry and make a decion so we can re-arrange our plans instead of waiting to the last minute.... its soo frustrating!... i'd gladly be stuck in costa maya!!

I just spoke with someone from RCCL who said they have no new information at the moment. That is because that they are busy trying to fly the guests home from Mexico!:eek: I am also scheduled for the April 30th cruise, and that does not sound good....

May I ask how you know that they are flying guest home from Mexico? I seriously doubt that Costa Maya has even a medium size airport.

Those of us on the next couple of cruises are concerned, but lets not add flames to any rumors. :) Lets hope they put out an official statement soon. I am leaving for NO tomorrow morning. Don't want to go unless I know we are definitely sailing even if it is delayed by a day.

Annieeee

Archived