Cabin Side of Ship out of Venice?

Oxo

Thank you both for the quick feedback and answers. I greatly appreciate your help.

Don’t understand Celebrity Site pricing. I find these fares:.

Inside 1,699.00 Ocean View 1,899.00 Veranda 1,899.00

Concierge Class 2,799.00 Aqua Class 2,199.00 Suite 5,469.00

I select Aqua Class, enter 2 Adults, Over 55 and Military Retired in MI. I then go to book a cabin I get this price?

Cabins: 1586, 1588 or 1592 Guests 1 - 2: $3,199.00 $ 6,398.00 USD

Cabins: 1626, 1521 or 1519 Guests 1 - 2: $3,099.00 $ 6,198.00 USD

What is X doing to us. Is this a sham/scam or what? I would call this bait and switch.

This is totally wrong and very misleading. Cruises should be listed properly and not like this.

Depending on how you are looking up cruises and prices, sometimes the initial view of prices is on a screen that references a range of sailings for the same itinerary. In this case it will show the base price for the least expensive sailing even though the prices might differ considerably for the different sailings just as an seat on a specific airline flight might cost less for one particular day than it does for another date.

Once you drill down to a specific sailing to select a cabin you should have a much better idea of the pricing for a specific sailing date.

With that said, I, and many others, have had trouble with Celebrity's site in recent months due to both website errors and site navigation paths that are hard to figure out. If you continue to have any issues then I'd suggest calling a travel agent or the Celebrity phone staff.

Depending on how you are looking up cruises and prices, sometimes the initial view of prices is on a screen that references a range of sailings for the same itinerary. In this case it will show the base price for the least expensive sailing even though the prices might differ considerably for the different sailings just as an seat on a specific airline flight might cost less for one particular day than it does for another date.

Once you drill down to a specific sailing to select a cabin you should have a much better idea of the pricing for a specific sailing date.

With that said, I, and many others, have had trouble with Celebrity's site in recent months due to both website errors and site navigation paths that are hard to figure out. If you continue to have any issues then I'd suggest calling a travel agent or the Celebrity phone staff.

Fully understand what you are saying and mean. Thank you for your explanation. However - The details I posted are for a specific date and not a range of dates/sailings. Example May 30, 2012 directly from X's Site. In fact a TA had a big discussion with X about the price and the TA was told that the site was in error and X knows of the on-line error. Sorry, that is totally wrong/misleading/false advertising, etc.

I called Celebrity with a question re pricing similar to yours. Could it be that the lower AQ price is for a Guarantee cabin? That's what mine was.

Yes, I and my TA did even ask for the Gty cabin. That did not change any X's prices. Just don't know what X is doing.

Venice is phenomal. Just go up to the lawn club, grab a pitcher of sangria, and watch from both sides :) But a balcony on either side is incredible in Venice

Super love the "pitcher of sangria" idea and plan. Going up to the top of the ship is great as you can better move around, see both sides, etc. It's spectacular doing this in Venice. Fortunately last June on the Solstice, we got BOTH a sail-in and a sail-out, PLUS wonderfully nice sunny weather, great temperatures. Below are a few of my pictures from that awesome experience. More can be seen from my full live/blog for our sailing in the Med.

Since Venice is one of your key locations, you might look at this earlier posting that I did on the Italy board that shows many options and visual potentials for this city that is so great for "walking around".

Venice: Loving It & Why??!!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1278226

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,001 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

Don’t miss the Solstice sail-in and/-out for Venice. This was our view from the top of the ship as we approached the historic center of Venice. On a beautiful day, as we enjoyed, this is so spectacular!!!:

VeniceSailInWider.jpg

As we sailed into Venice on the Solstice, here is one of the views up a smaller canal, with a stone bridge, people and various buildings providing that great sampling of this unique city’s charm and architecture. It is much more just a few historic buildings there. It’s all over!:

VeniceUpCanalBldgsBridge.jpg

As we sailed in, here is one of the churches along the canal. :

VeniceSailInChurch.jpg

On our sail-out in Venice, this was the view as passengers were on the top deck seeing the various churches and historic buildings.:

VeniceSailOutShipView.jpg

This closer view shows the heart of Venice with the Campanile tower and its 323’ size, the St. Mark’s Cathedral domes, the Doge’s Palace, etc.:

VeniceOverallTowerDomesDoges-1.jpg

There is not a bad side but I believe that the port side is best....a couple photos from our 2007 departure.

While there might not be a bad side, depending on one's perspective, the view from the starboard side when leaving would pale in comparison to the port side view as only the port side (or forward or aft) would have a view of the heart of Venice and St. Mark's square.

If you look at the following map of Venice you can see the ship terminals at the west end of the Island, right above where it says "bus terminal" The cruise ships will pass right below (South of) San Marco and right above Guidecca Island. So if you were on the starboard side when leaving (heading from west to east) you'd only have a view of Guidecca.

Venice-index.gif

The views of the heart of St. Mark's square shown in TLCOhio's post, above, all would be seen looking north from the port side as you were leaving, or starboard side when arriving. If you didn't have this view from your cabin you'd want to view from a public space out on deck (which you might in any event).

While there might not be a bad side, depending on one's perspective, the view from the starboard side when leaving would pale in comparison to the port side view as only the port side (or forward or aft) would have a view of the heart of Venice and St. Mark's square.

If you look at the following map of Venice you can see the ship terminals at the west end of the Island, right above where it says "bus terminal" The cruise ships will pass right below (South of) San Marco and right above Guidecca Island. So if you were on the starboard side when leaving (heading from west to east) you'd only have a view of Guidecca.

Venice-index.gif

The views of the heart of St. Mark's square shown in TLCOhio's post, above, all would be seen looking north from the port side as you were leaving, or starboard side when arriving. If you didn't have this view from your cabin you'd want to view from a public space out on deck (which you might in any event).

Agreed that the port side is more spectacular, which is why we spent most of the departure time on that side departing the city, but being on an open upper deck we were also able to move to the starboard side for a brief view after passing St. Marks Square. An amazing city from every viewpoint.

While there might not be a bad side, depending on one's perspective, the view from the starboard side when leaving would pale in comparison to the port side view as only the port side (or forward or aft) would have a view of the heart of Venice and St. Mark's square. The cruise ships will pass right below (South of) San Marco and right above Guidecca Island. So if you were on the starboard side when leaving (heading from west to east) you'd only have a view of Guidecca. The views of the heart of St. Mark's square shown in TLCOhio's post, above, all would be seen looking north from the port side as you were leaving, or starboard side when arriving. If you didn't have this view from your cabin you'd want to view from a public space out on deck (which you might in any event).

Great and helpful map/explanation by Larry. That mention of Guidecca Island, brings up what you might see there, on this side. There are some good, interesting things there, too. Below is one of my pictures examples that I have not previously posted. When I pulled together the background on just this one church and its famed architect, it points out the historic "depth" that is all over Venice. Lots to see, soak up and experience in Venice.

Excellent choice on the port side by Oxo. But, consider being up on the top side for sail out.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Did a June 7-19, 2011, Solstice cruise from Barcelona that had stops in Villefranche, ports near Pisa and Rome, Naples, Kotor, Venice and Dubrovnik. Enjoyed great weather and a wonderful trip. Dozens of wonderful visuals with key highlights, tips, comments, etc., on these postings. We are now at 67,001 views for this live/blog re-cap on our first sailing with Celebrity and much on wonderful Barcelona. Check these postings and added info at:

http://www.boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1426474

As we sailed into Venice, this was one of the views on Guidecca Island opposite to the more famous San Marco Piazza and St. Mark's. This is the Chiesa del Santissimo Redentore or Church of the Most Holy Redeemer. It is commonly known as Il Redentore. It is a 16th century Roman Catholic church designed by the fame architect Andrea Palladio. This designer is considered the most influential in the history of Western architecture. The church was built as a thank you to God for the deliverance of the city from the plague that decimated Venice between 1575 and 1576 when 46,000 people (25–30% of the population) died. Construction started in 1577 and it was consecrated in 1592. It is located on the waterfront of the Canale della Giudecca and dominates the island’s skyline. It contains paintings by artists such as Tintoretto.:

VeniceGuideccaIslandChurch.jpg

I had a starboard cabin on my Voyager OTS cruise in September. I spent departure time outside on deck (either 10 or 11) - it was not only a spectacular view, but they played opera music as we departed. It was quite dramatic and memorable! I don't know if they piped the music in to the cabins, so I don't know if I would have had the same experience in a cabin. When we returned to Venice I got up early and brought some pastries and coffee to my cabin from Cafe Promenade, then had an amazing view of the beautiful city at sunrise from my balcony.

Either way, you will enjoy the view -

Liz

We had made plans with our tablemates to get up early and watch the sail-in at 6 AM. DH got up about 4:30 to use the facilities and glanced out the window--said, "We're HERE!!!" We threw on sweats and raced upstairs to the most amazing view--from the 12th deck, and in the dark, the city looked like something from Disneyland, all lit up. I was so glad that we had seen it, and felt so badly for our friends who all missed it. . .

Just an update on this posting. I did finally get the correct information from my TA on this pricing listed below.

The cost of $2,199.00 is for a GTY Aqua and thus it is not listed when you drill down on X's site. So, $2,199 + $102.36 (Tax/Port Charges) is available as a valid price for the GTY Aqua. It is not a bait/switch, whatever.

So, if you ever see a price but cannot get it via drilling down, check with X or your TA.

Just wanted to set the record straight since I brought it up and questioned it.

Yes, we did book and got PORT side. Thanks to you all for your time and info/pics.

Thank you both for the quick feedback and answers. I greatly appreciate your help.

I select Aqua Class, enter 2 Adults, Over 55 and Military Retired in MI. I then go to book a cabin I get this price?

What is X doing to us. Is this a sham/scam or what? I would call this bait and switch.

This is totally wrong and very misleading. Cruises should be listed properly and not like this.

What a difference a day makes. Just checked the X pricing again today and the prices jump up as shown below. I thought gas was moving up. LOL

Inside 2,049.00 Ocean View 1,899.00 Veranda 1,899.00

Concierge Class 2,799.00 Aqua Class 3,199.00 Suite 5,469.00 USD

Glad we got ours yesterday!

Just an update on this posting. I did finally get the correct information from my TA on this pricing listed below.

The cost of $2,199.00 is for a GTY Aqua and thus it is not listed when you drill down on X's site. So, $2,199 + $102.36 (Tax/Port Charges) is available as a valid price for the GTY Aqua. It is not a bait/switch, whatever.

So, if you ever see a price but cannot get it via drilling down, check with X or your TA.

Just wanted to set the record straight since I brought it up and questioned it.

Yes, we did book and got PORT side. Thanks to you all for your time and info/pics.

We ran into the same problem when trying to book the 30 May sailing out of Venice on the Silhouette. When I called Celebrity they explained that the price on the initial screen "2199" is for a guarantee cabin. You evidently cannot book these on line. The Celebrity rep handled our reservation and we did get that rate for an Aqua Class cabin guarantee.

Archived