What time do I HAVE to be there?!

To be clear, I much prefer to be early, take advantage of the day, etc. Who wouldn't? In fact, we've been known to spend 3-4 days in South Florida on either side of a cruise during the winter. Sometimes unforeseen things do happen. I just wanted to check how late I could be before I was out of luck. Hopefully it's a non issue. I know when to throw in the towel if need be now. :)

Appreciate all the replies! Carry on...

Since you're driving and not flying,..and only 1 1/2 hours away, I think you have plenty of time. Of course an accident could happen anywhere...even from the hotel to the port. But barring something tragic occurring sounds like you could be there with a drink in your hand before 1:30! The docs tell people to show up at 1:00 so that's not too unusual to show up then.

I believe that put that 90 min stuff just to keep the late arrivals to a minimum.

I sat at a pier once and watch passengers arrive less than 1/2 hour from sailing.

They will take people pretty much up till the last minute.

The "homeland security" stuff is a joke..

After the Costa Concordia incident, more and more cruise lines are going to be holding lifeboat drills before sailing, so it will be even more important to not get there too late.

The lack of lifeboat drill on the Concordia really had no impact on the outcome.

I refuse to take any chances either.......Im leaving Friday afternoon to drive to Port canaveral for a Sunday afternoon sailaway LOL! :o Its a 9 hour drive at most.

If I get off the ship at Port, Im usually back on board at least 2 - 3 hours before the all on board time :o

Getting left is my biggest fear of cruising!

so you going this sunday what ship you on freedom?

once we fly same day and never again our plane engine when out so we had to wait for a replacement i had called rccl and said we would be late.. Our ship was scheduled to leave at 5pm and me and about 10-12 others from the same plane where running thru the airport and in a taxi and got to port of Miami about 440pm and was rush thru the pre check and ran to the gate and they closed the gangway behind us we barely mad it. So from every cruise after that i fly down the day before.... So just get there early and be safe.:p

Your comment IGNORES one simple fact. The 90 minute ONBOARD rule is not a rule made up by RCI. It is required by Homeland Security. Even cruise manifests are scanned and reviewed by Homeland Security.

The embarkation rules are firm, the only way relief is if a cruise line can gain permission to extend the departure time, then the 90 ONBOARD rule moves with a new departure time.

There is no way any cruise line is gonna hold a ship just in case you might show up. There are times when the cruise line knows that hundreds of folks are delayed due to weather, traffic accident, etc. Then, only then, will they request a later departure time...again the 90 minute rule would apply.

Since you're driving and not flying,..and only 1 1/2 hours away, I think you have plenty of time. Of course an accident could happen anywhere...even from the hotel to the port. But barring something tragic occurring sounds like you could be there with a drink in your hand before 1:30! The docs tell people to show up at 1:00 so that's not too unusual to show up then.

I'm not sure where you got the info above? Who said anything about driving? Or 1 1/2hours away? :)

I'm working until 11am on the day of departure for my upcoming cruise. Barring traffic it's a hour and a half drive from the jobsite.

Oops...I had read this post and thought it was the OP. I didn't pay close enough attention to the names. Sorry about that! Never mind my comment and carry on....

Your comment IGNORES one simple fact. The 90 minute ONBOARD rule is not a rule made up by RCI. It is required by Homeland Security. Even cruise manifests are scanned and reviewed by Homeland Security.

The embarkation rules are firm, the only way relief is if a cruise line can gain permission to extend the departure time, then the 90 ONBOARD rule moves with a new departure time.

There is no way any cruise line is gonna hold a ship just in case you might show up. There are times when the cruise line knows that hundreds of folks are delayed due to weather, traffic accident, etc. Then, only then, will they request a later departure time...again the 90 minute rule would apply.

I believe this is exactly right. For a departing time of 4:30 the Cruise Manifest has to be to Homeland Security at 4:00 sharp. No-one is allowed to board after this time. I don't think it matters what sad story you come up with at this point.

After the Costa Concordia incident, more and more cruise lines are going to be holding lifeboat drills before sailing, so it will be even more important to not get there too late.

RCI already does. And if you board late and miss muster drill, they have the option of a "make up" session just for you or leaving instructions in your stateroom on what to do in an emergency.

I believe that put that 90 min stuff just to keep the late arrivals to a minimum.

I sat at a pier once and watch passengers arrive less than 1/2 hour from sailing.

We see that every time we cruise on Carnival out of Long Beach. We've seen passengers continue to board up until a few minutes prior to the gangway being removed. We saw it quite a bit on Monarch, too.

When we sail on the weekend, DH leaves the office at 1:30 or 2:00. Fortunately it's only 20 minutes from the pier. If I'm driving, 15.:D

Tell that to the poster of a thread not long ago that arrived at PC just after the 90 minute deadline and found the gates lokced and unable to enter the port, let alone board the ship

Tell that to the poster of a thread not long ago that arrived at PC just after the 90 minute deadline and found the gates lokced and unable to enter the port, let alone board the ship

Just telling you what I have seen...

Archived