What time do I HAVE to be there?!

Considering that departure day is considered an entire day of the cruise our take on it is "how early can we possibly get there and be allowed to board?"

That's my take too. That said; sometimes things "come up" and it's either cut it close or don't go..that's when you ask the question I did today! :)

That's my take too. That said; sometimes things "come up" and it's either cut it close or don't go..that's when you ask the question I did today! :)

Just don't cut it too close because they close the gates and that is it. You really want to be in the building 90 minutes before if you are thinking of coming later.

We get there about 10:45ish so we can get on as soon as posssible.:p

Directly from the RCCL site.

"Please note: All guests must be checked-in and onboard the ship no later than 90 minutes prior to the published sailing time or you will not be permitted to sail."

http://www.royalcaribbean.com/customersupport/faq/details.do?pagename=frequently_asked_questions&pnav=5&snav=2&faqId=241&faqSubjectId=330&faqSubjectName=Before+You+Leave&faqType=faq

If something happened and lets say you got into a car accident or your plane was majorly delayed, can you call RC's main number and let them know so that they might consider letting you on if they are late?

I know I know, don't be late. But things happen. Even if you are in the port that day and the taxi gets into an accident or something.

If something happened and lets say you got into a car accident or your plane was majorly delayed, can you call RC's main number and let them know so that they might consider letting you on if they are late?

I know I know, don't be late. But things happen. Even if you are in the port that day and the taxi gets into an accident or something.

No.

The manifest closes 90 minutes before departure and shows all those who have checked in. No further boarding will be permitted. If you are on a flight booked through RCCL which is delayed it is possible that they will wait for you but not certain. It is your responsibility to get there in good time. Fly in the day before if necessary.

Seems a little silly to me that the ship will sometimes wait 1 or 2 hours for people who haven't showed up at the ship while it's at port but not for people who have legitimate delays at embarkation like an accident.

Its a Homeland Security rule I am pretty sure. They have no choice.

We prefer to fly in the day before so that we can sleep in and be rested for that first day onboard. We consider that to be extra insurance coverage. As eveyone has said, you are paying for that day so why not enjoy it!

I wonder if you are waiting in the registration line, but not processed and it is at the 90 minute mark; will they continue to process those in line?

What would happen in a case like this? :eek:

I don't think I would want to take any chances of being late – what if the ship needed to leave a little early based on some “unknown” reason and they had to close the doors early. (This happens from time to time in ports of call)

Just like the “unknown” if you’ll be in an accident – there are a ton of “unknown” things that can happen. Best to be there in plenty of time and not risk missing the ship.

The times will also be in your doc’s.

Seems a little silly to me that the ship will sometimes wait 1 or 2 hours for people who haven't showed up at the ship while it's at port but not for people who have legitimate delays at embarkation like an accident.

actually they will not necessarily wait unless it is a ship sponsored excursion....it is up to the captain and the harbor master...the ship has to pay to dock, thus if it is late, they may have to pay more..

and an accident while on the way to embark is not a legitimate delay....harsh as it may seem....they are likely not going to hold up 3000 people for the benefit of 2. That's why people should 1) leave very early and 2) get insurance...so that 3) if something bad happens, PERHAPS part of the vacation can be salvaged...

i live about an hour from Cape Liberty....only on 2 occasions did i NOT stay over by EWR...and on those occasions we left around 9:30 AM and were at the pier, on the ship eating lunch BY noon...(usually even earlier)

I wonder if you are waiting in the registration line, but not processed and it is at the 90 minute mark; will they continue to process those in line?

What would happen in a case like this? :eek:

i think it would depend on homeland security.....the ship and the port authority....among other things i suppose

I refuse to take any chances either.......Im leaving Friday afternoon to drive to Port canaveral for a Sunday afternoon sailaway LOL! :o Its a 9 hour drive at most.

If I get off the ship at Port, Im usually back on board at least 2 - 3 hours before the all on board time :o

Getting left is my biggest fear of cruising!

I have been on a ship that left port 1 1/2 hours early from the scheduled departure time. And from what I hear on these boards and in the news, that's not that rare. So, if at all possible, be there by 1:00 p.m. just in case. We always fly in the day before and go to the port around 10:30 a.m. Great time to explore the ship and begin the vacation.

Good luck and don't miss the ship! :D (It is a Homeland Security edict)

Macy

I don't know where you got this impression. What they will do is take responsibility for getting these people (including those in a ship sponsored excursion) to the next port at their expense and pay for hotels and meals. They will not hold the ship.

I don't know where you got this impression. What they will do is take responsibility for getting these people (including those in a ship sponsored excursion) to the next port at their expense and pay for hotels and meals. They will not hold the ship.

Yes, they may. In March 2009 I was on Jewel in Miami; there had been severe weather conditions and planes were delayed. The Captain held back departure to allow passengers who had booked through RCCL to embark a few hours later. Departing Miami at night was an amazing experience.

I read it on the boards, people have said their ships have waited for people who were no shows at the port. Even had video of one couple nonchalantly walking to the ship after showing up an hour late.

I refuse to take any chances either.......Im leaving Friday afternoon to drive to Port canaveral for a Sunday afternoon sailaway LOL! :o Its a 9 hour drive at most.

If I get off the ship at Port, Im usually back on board at least 2 - 3 hours before the all on board time :o

Getting left is my biggest fear of cruising!

To be clear, I much prefer to be early, take advantage of the day, etc. Who wouldn't? In fact, we've been known to spend 3-4 days in South Florida on either side of a cruise during the winter. Sometimes unforeseen things do happen. I just wanted to check how late I could be before I was out of luck. Hopefully it's a non issue. I know when to throw in the towel if need be now. :)

Appreciate all the replies! Carry on...

Archived