Anyone have pictures of the sofa bed on Soltice class

maggieq

Looking at either the Eclipse or Solstice for 3 and wondering what the sofa bed looks like when made and how much room it provides.

Thanks!

Hi MaggieQ,

The "sofa beds" at least in the regular classes (non-suites) aren't what you imagine them to be (fold-outs like at home).

They are either... just the sofa top (think like a camper trailer, or boat here) that means moving the cushions and adding a topper... OR a trundle bed (matress in a pull out drawer under the sofa).

There are certainly photos around of the beds made up etc ... hopefully someone else has one to post... otherwise you might try GOOGLE Images.

Cheers!

Looking at either the Eclipse or Solstice for 3 and wondering what the sofa bed looks like when made and how much room it provides.

Thanks!

Here is a picture of the Sofa in the Solstice-class ships that will be the bed for a 3rd person in a stateroom. Your steward will remove the back cushions and place a 4" topper and bedding on top of the firm faux-leather-covered sofa. The topper is slightly narrower than the sofa base, so, with the topper on the sofa, the bed will be slightly narrower than a twin bed. (My thanks to the fabulous Andreas Depping for use of this photo.)

840499429_5At9o-L.jpg

This is a four-year-old on top of the sofa bed, so you can see the relative size of the mattress and the available bed width which is just slightly narrower than the width of the sofa with the back cushions removed. The bed is very comfortable.

i-nR2CF9h-L.jpg

If there are four sleeping in a cabin, there are two options:

(a) a pull-out trundle bed.....

974236368_eBwvu-XL.jpg

or (b) a drop-down pullman bed.

974236285_3fjyN-XL.jpg

Here is a picture of the Sofa in the Solstice-class ships that will be the bed for a 3rd person in a stateroom. Your steward will remove the back cushions and place a 4" topper and bedding on top of the firm faux-leather-covered sofa. The topper is slightly narrower than the sofa base, so, with the topper on the sofa, the bed will be slightly narrower than a twin bed. (My thanks to the fabulous Andreas Depping for use of this photo.)

840499429_5At9o-L.jpg

This is a four-year-old on top of the sofa bed, so you can see the relative size of the mattress and the available bed width which is just slightly narrower than the width of the sofa with the back cushions removed. The bed is very comfortable.

i-nR2CF9h-L.jpg

If there are four sleeping in a cabin, there are two options:

(a) a pull-out trundle bed.....

974236368_eBwvu-XL.jpg

or (b) a drop-down pullman bed.

974236285_3fjyN-XL.jpg

Hi, when the trundle is made up, do they make up the top of sofa and the trundle together? That would not be a bad size, with those two together I might not fall off it!

Hi, when the trundle is made up, do they make up the top of sofa and the trundle together? That would not be a bad size, with those two together I might not fall off it!

As far as I know, they don't make up the trundle and the sofa as one "double bed", at least, I have never heard of this happening.

Also, some of the 4th berths that are below the sofa are in pullout "drawers" and I don't think that they "pop up" as the one in the thumbnail photo seems to do. I also don't know if there is a way to know what kind of trundle bed a cabin has, or even why there are two types of trundle beds.

Perhaps someone who has had experience with trundle beds in their cabins can tell you more. We have only required additional accommodations for a 3rd person.

Thank you so much for the photos!! I have looked everywhere for one of the bunk bed. Do you happen to know if a grown person (15 year old) has enough head room to sit up without banging their head when in the bunk bed?

Thank you so much for the photos!! I have looked everywhere for one of the bunk bed. Do you happen to know if a grown person (15 year old) has enough head room to sit up without banging their head when in the bunk bed?

No. There is no way for anyone to sit straight up in the bunk bed without seriously injuring themselves besides a small child.

We sailed on the Solstice 3 years ago with our teen daughter...sorry to report this but the trundle was hard and very uncomfortable for her and would have been for just about anyone. The other bother was when the bed was made up we had a hard time getting to the balcony. Two years ago we booked an aft corner suite with a traditional fold out bed and with an egg crate it was comfy for her. This past Christmas we got her a concierge cabin next to ours....ultimate luxury... final thought ....kids can handle a bit of discomfort so don't worry too much about it.

TO MAGGIEQ and GINNY123,

Lol, GOOGLE is my friend !! I was able to find you both a relative photo...

You'll want to take a look at this previous topic = http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1467641

Post # 3 therein has an excellent photo that shows ALL the options... Trundle Bed, Sofa Topper and an Upper Berth.

GINNY123, I assume that the Upper Berth that drops out of the ceiling is what you are referring to when you mention "Bunk Beds"... I don't think there are any other "bunks" onboard (although I could be wrong)

From the 2012/13 Celebrity Brochure, "Fine Print" section...

<< Bed length is aprox 78.5 inches... Maximum Weight is 200 Lbs >>

Hope this is helpful,

Cheers!

Thanks Sloop-JohnB! That's exactly the picture I've been looking for and yes, guess I was calling it the wrong thing by "bunk".

I'll let her decide between the upper berth and sofa bed with the egg crate on top. We've already booked two veranda cabins, one for us, one for our three teens. I think it's luxury enough already and yes, a little discomfort won't hurt them :)

Hi Ginny:

Here is a picture posted by the Howarth family with their children sitting in the 3rd and 4th berths. Emily is 6 years old and Oliver is 9 years old. Perhaps the picture will give you some idea of the headroom that is available.

i-mvTrtfP-XL.jpg

Hi Ginny:

Here is a picture posted by the Howarth family with their children sitting in the 3rd and 4th berths. Emily is 6 years old and Oliver is 9 years old. Perhaps the picture will give you some idea of the headroom that is available.

TO ELENA7SEAS,

Great photo!!

Gosh I can't be the only one who wishes the Howarth's would cruise again soon... I sooooo LOVED their detailed reports from their last cruise... LIVE Cruise Report, Pics, AMAZING Video Diary Daily with commentary... these folks are a real asset to Celebrity.

Someone... PLEASE give them a FREE Cruise, so we can sit here and daydream... this is the family, that Celebrity should have picked to "highlight / profile" the Solsticization of the Summit... this is the kind of stuff that future (and current) Celebrity Customers want to see !!

Anyone thinking of sailing Celebrity, a Solstice Class Ship, doing the Mediterranean, or Cruising with Kids... should so read their blog here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD and watch their video (or check out their website that features all their other cruises).

FANTASTIC STUFF... cannot say enough about these folks !!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1454387

Cheers!

TO ELENA7SEAS,

Great photo!!

Gosh I can't be the only one who wishes the Howarth's would cruise again soon... I sooooo LOVED their detailed reports from their last cruise... LIVE Cruise Report, Pics, AMAZING Video Diary Daily with commentary... these folks are a real asset to Celebrity.

Someone... PLEASE give them a FREE Cruise, so we can sit here and daydream... this is the family, that Celebrity should have picked to "highlight / profile" the Solsticization of the Summit... this is the kind of stuff that future (and current) Celebrity Customers want to see !!

Anyone thinking of sailing Celebrity, a Solstice Class Ship, doing the Mediterranean, or Cruising with Kids... should so read their blog here on the CC CELEBRITY BOARD and watch their video (or check out their website that features all their other cruises).

FANTASTIC STUFF... cannot say enough about these folks !!

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1454387

Cheers!

Thanks :). I believe the Howarth family are set to sail on the P&O Oceana on April 4, 2012.

Rob Howarth has posted 27 videos on youtube.com. If you haven't seen them all, they might keep you busy until Rob can post the next one ;).

He has great production values in his videos...I guess what you might expect from a photographer...

They do not pop up. The trundle stays basically on the floor.

I have seen pictures of two different types of trundle beds on the S-class ships:

This one, which is on some kind of hinge system, and seems to be somewhat cantilevered over the floor (although there must be some sort of support that is in contact with the floor, to distribute the weight) (My thanks to FBLack for posting this photo)

i-kDjZ7hC-XL.jpg

and one which looks much like the pulled-out drawer in this photo below, which is framed all around and has a mattress in it when used as a bed.

My understanding is that the particular pullout in the picture below (unattributed) is used as a storage compartment for bedding when a cabin has 4 other berths, as 5 people are only allowed in the Family Veranda cabins.

i-9qCsLH7-XL.jpg

I have seen pictures of two different types of trundle beds on the S-class ships:

This one, which is on some kind of hinge system, and seems to be somewhat cantilevered over the floor (although there must be some sort of support that is in contact with the floor, to distribute the weight) (My thanks to FBLack for posting this photo)

i-kDjZ7hC-XL.jpg

and one which looks much like the pulled-out drawer in this photo below, which is framed all around and has a mattress in it when used as a bed.

My understanding is that the particular pullout in the picture below (unattributed) is used as a storage compartment for bedding when a cabin has 4 other berths, as 5 people are only allowed in the Family Veranda cabins.

i-9qCsLH7-XL.jpg

It is an optical illusion based on the angle the picture is taken. There is no hinge, it is a drawer just like the other picture shows and is very close to the floor. We have been in these cabins multiple times. None of the trundles pop up I promise.

i-kDjZ7hC-XL.jpg

i-9qCsLH7-XL.jpg

Hey, thats my picture. Glad someone made some use out of it. :D

Archived