Coffee Card Change

traveling1969

We recently used an old card on the Island Princess. My husband drank only brewed coffee, but the card was punched each time, as others have stated.

I understand the "conditions" of the new card, but still have a question. We have only ever used our card at the International Cafe or at the Patisserie (Island doesn't have an IC). Can the card be used in other venues? (Ex: In the MDR if we would like a specialty coffee after dinner)

We recently used an old card on the Island Princess. My husband drank only brewed coffee, but the card was punched each time, as others have stated.

I understand the "conditions" of the new card, but still have a question. We have only ever used our card at the International Cafe or at the Patisserie (Island doesn't have an IC). Can the card be used in other venues? (Ex: In the MDR if we would like a specialty coffee after dinner)

Yes, I usually get a cappuccino after dinner in the MDR and they will take the card there. I also used in the Bayou Cafe on the Island this past spring for an espresso and although it took a little longer to come, they had no problem bringing me my coffee and punching my card. :)

On our Star cruise in February, I used an old card that had about 5 punches left. They didn't punch it once for fresh brewed coffee, and in fact, they also gave coffee to my husband at no charge. So it seems that the interpretation of the new rules varies by ship.

In the International Café and some lounges:

Brewed coffee is $1.25/cup, most specialty coffees are $2.50-$2.75 for a regular size, espresso $1.75.

$33.35 buys a coffee card with fifteen punch outs for specialty coffees, and unlimited brewed coffee at the cafes and some lounges that have brewed coffee. You can also use it in the dining rooms for specialty coffees. The server is directed to take two punch outs for double shot orders, some do, some don't.

Since the coffee card is for a discrete quantity it's not time limited. If there are punch outs remaining at the end of the cruise the card will carry over to the next cruise. The unlimited brewed coffee does not carry over.

If you are accustomed to good quality coffee, you definitely will want a coffee card. The vile concoction in the Horizon Court (buffet) is syrup based. Room service and dining room coffee are also syrup based. I must say the dining room coffee tastes a tad better. Maybe the kitchen staff cleans their machine.

Not that syrup-based coffee is always a bad thing. My hometown source, http://www.javacoffee.com/, informs me there are different grades for syrup coffee, as with ground coffee. Regardless of grade, the taste of syrup based is always going to be somewhat inferior to an equivalent grade of ground. Based on flavor, Princess must use the lowest grade (cheapest) available.

You'll find brewed coffee from grounds at some lounges, and in the International Cafe. Not all ships have the Int'l Cafe. They do, however, have a Coffee Bar for regular and specialty coffees.

===============================================

The price is for a ten day cruise. Your mileage may vary.

Yes. Definitely. A totally unused card can be exchanged for a new one on that specific cruise.

Not on the Emerald a couple of weeks ago.

I tried!

And the IC manager insisted I buy 2 cards for a B2B if I wanted to use them for brewed coffee or tea.

Since the regular brewed in the dining room and room service was better (strangely the coffee in the buffet was the same old swill) than I'd ever had on Princess I just drank that. I did use some punches for the specialty teas but not enough to justify a new card.

Once again, the policies seem to be ship specific.

Not on the Emerald a couple of weeks ago.

I tried!

And the IC manager insisted I buy 2 cards for a B2B if I wanted to use them for brewed coffee or tea.

Since the regular brewed in the dining room and room service was better (strangely the coffee in the buffet was the same old swill) than I'd ever had on Princess I just drank that. I did use some punches for the specialty teas but not enough to justify a new card.

Once again, the policies seem to be ship specific.

I would have spoken to a higher power. They were wrong and I would have gone further. You can also take your issues to the chief purser and the CC hostess.

I would have spoken to a higher power. They were wrong and I would have gone further. You can also take your issues to the chief purser and the CC hostess.

Thanks Pia I was getting worried about my two brand new ones being wasted :p

Archived