Paris advice?

Liza555

Wow fred what a fantastic Paris review, i am sure Liza555 and i know am grateful for all your advice. Do you know if you can buy tickets for the Eifle tower away from the Eifle tower without going on a tour? Also the same with the river cruise down the Seine, do you just go down the river and see ticket booths? Thanks again , i am going to print it all off and take it with us :)

Liza555 - I have had the good fortune over the years of showing many friends, relatives, and business colleagues a bit of Paris, anywhere from a couple of hours to a couple of weeks. I am not sure where you're staying; so I can't tell you how close you are to certain things. Therefore, I will simply give you some suggestions of my favorite things to do and see in Paris. Much will depend upon your inclination to walk, to take the Metro, to spend time in museums, etc.

Early May is often ideal in terms of weather, with the chestnut trees blooming in the Tuileries and tulips and daffodils (jonquils) everywhere. So, for what it is or ain't worth, here are some ideas:

Best views in Paris:

1. From the top of the Eiffel Tower. Of course, you certainly must go to the top for the best views; but the restaurant on the first level - Altitude 95 - is quite decent and has wonderful views, especially at lunch when it's not so crowded and you may be able to get a table by the windows. Here's the Eiffel Tower restaurant website: http://www.restaurants-toureiffel.com/ Here's the main website for the Eiffel Tower: http://www.tour-eiffel.fr/teiffel/uk/ There's a very fancy and very expensive restaurant in the tower called Jules Verne. I've read that it's quite good but not worth the $$$ compared to other high-end restaurants in Paris. It's also fairly dressy, which irritates me.

2. From the steps in front of the church of Sacre Coeur in Montmartre. (See below for more dope about this neighborhood.)

3. From the top of the Grande Arche de la Defense - http://www.grandearche.com/international/english.html Most tourists don't do that last one because they don't go out to the high-rise business complex of La Defense. But it's a very cool perspective of the city, as the Grande Arche is in line with the Arc de Triomphe and the smaller Arc de Triomphe du Carrousel at the Louvre end of the Tuileries Gardens. Thus, you get a splendid view of the main corridor of Paris. Quite spectacular. When you take the train or metro there, don't get off at the station nearer the Seine (Esplanade de la Defense) because you will then have to walk the whole length of La Defense (quite a long ways) before you get to the Grande Arche. Rather, get off at the station called La Defense (or maybe it's called La Defense Grande Arche).

Do you have a map of Paris yet? If not, you can get one at Barnes & Noble or Borders. There will almost certainly be free maps of the city at your hotel, usually provided by Galeries Lafayette, one of the big department stores.

Here are some random remarks about several of my favorite places and things to do:

1. Notre Dame - When you visit Notre Dame, try to go up in the tower. The views from the top of the towers are wonderful and it's fun to see the gargoyles up close. You also get a much better sense of the remarkable aspects of gothic architecture when you are in the towers. As I recall, the entrance to the towers is via a separate ticket booth around to the left side of the cathedral (left side if you're facing the cathedral). The steps are pretty steep and worn stone; so wear good shoes. Another good thing to do at Notre Dame is to walk all the way around it on the outside. Most people never see it from the back. There is a nice little rose garden at the back as well.

2. Sacre Coeur - The best way to get there is to take the Metro to the Pigalle stop and then walk up the hill to the church (or to the Funiculaire de Montmartre which takes you the last ways up and saves quite a few steps). Montmartre is an interesting neighborhood to walk through on the way to the church. Just around the corner from the church is the Place du Tertre, which has all kinds of (mostly terrible) artists and (mostly mediocre) restaurants. But it is great to visit, both during the day and at night. If the weather is good, it is fun at night because all of the restaurants set up outdoor sections in the square. Even though the restaurants there are only okay and are a bit expensive, it's a real Parisian tourist experience. I like to find an outside table and just have some wine and a basket of frites (fries) and maybe some moules (mussels) and watch the whole scene.

3. Sainte Chapelle - The most beautiful gothic church in Paris (and probably anywhere in Europe) is this little jewel box. It's in the complex of the Palais de Justice, just a block or two west of Notre Dame on the Ile de la Cite. You enter through the gates on the Blvd. du Palais and then follow the signs to the ticket booth for the church. You enter on the lower chapel level, which isn't too interesting. Then, you go up the little staircase into the magnificent upper chapel, which has fantastic stained glass windows. A few years ago, a business colleague of mine was in Paris and went to Ste. Chapelle at my suggestion. When he returned, he told me the place was pretty boring. It turned out that he never went to the upper chapel and thought the whole place was the lower chapel, duh!!

4. Tuileries - In May, the Jardin des Tuileries can be quite quite lovely, with the chestnut trees in bloom. Even if they aren't, it's fun to walk through the gardens and look at the statues. A stroll from the Arc de Triomphe du Carousel by the Louvre through the Tuileries, and then down the Champs Elysees to the Arc de Triomphe is a genuine Paris experience.

5. Versailles - Try to go on a week-day, as it can be very crowded on week-ends. The only reason to go on a week-end would be if the fountains will be running. They're magnificent and might balance the negative aspect of big week-end crowds. The best way to get there is by the RER (regional train). After touring the chateau, wander about the grounds. They are quite beautiful.

6. River Seine tour boats - Along the quais near the Eiffel Tower are a number of services offering city cruises on the Seine. It is very touristy and absolutely a must to do. If the weather is good, pick one that has seats outside on the top deck. They're good both during the day and at night and give you a totally different sense of the lay-out and architecture of the city. I would advise against taking a lunch or dinner cruise, as they are expensive for dreary food and, more importantly, you'll be distracted from the wonderful viewing of the city. If you can do it, try a cruise during the day and another at night. Most of the monuments and important buildings are lit up at night and quite cool.

7. Getting Around - The Metro (and for places like Versailles, the RER) is the way to go. A several day pass will be the best deal.

8. Picnics & snacks - Toss into your checked (not carry-on!!!) luggage a good pocketknife, corkscrew, and a couple of metal or heavy plastic glasses (we don't take wineglasses - we just take small tumblers) for picnics away from your hotel. That way, if the mood suits you, you can buy a baguette, some cheese, sausage, a bottle of wine, and some tasty pastries and have the best food experience in France.

9. The Louvre - People tend to overdose at the Louvre by trying to see the whole collection at once. My strong advice is to spend no more than two or three hours there at a time. After that, you just get punchy and all the art starts to fog together. There is no requirement to see every stupid painting there anyway. I love the museum but will not spend more than two hours there at a time. The museum passes allow multiple visits, as I recall.

10. People Watching - Parisians like to spend time at cafes just sitting, chatting, sipping coffee, wine or beer. It is lots of fun to do the same at any of the hundreds of outdoor cafes, particularly in the Latin Quarter, along Blvd. St. Germain or the intersection of Rue de Buci and Rue du Seine.

Have fun! Cheers, Fred

I have just answered my own question by clicking on the eifle tower webiste link fred supplied and you can buy the tickets online but the only hitch is you have to nominate a time which could be a little tricky but its a great link with all the details.

Wow fred what a fantastic Paris review, i am sure Liza555 and i know am grateful for all your advice. Do you know if you can buy tickets for the Eifle tower away from the Eifle tower without going on a tour? Also the same with the river cruise down the Seine, do you just go down the river and see ticket booths? Thanks again , i am going to print it all off and take it with us :)

Robynkc - The ticket booths for most of the Seine boats are on the opposite side of the river from the Eiffel Tower but in that area of the city. We have always simply bought our tickets at the booths. They all have their schedules posted. Have fun.

Fred, I was wondering if you loved "Midnight In Paris". When I went on the Parisian Holiday cruise over the New Year I drove my fellow passengers crazy by pointing out where everything took place! By the way, if your trip includes a Paris Illumine Paris (Paris lights up Paris) night tour, you will be taken to many of these places. The tour ends up at the Place du Trocadero, where you stand 1000 ft. high overlooking the Eiffel Tower, the Palais de Chaillot, the Champs du Mar, and the carrousel all lit up down below. If you go here on your own, it is easy to get to (metro line 6 or 9 to Trocadero) and the square has a great cafe to have a cappuccino and people-watch.

With regards to Montparnasse Tower, you know what they say'..if you're on top of it, you won't have to look at it!

I think Freddie did a fabulous job of laying out what to see in Paris. As for me, I wouldn't miss a trip down the Seine at night! For me, my ride down the river on the bateaux mouches after dark was one of the highlights of Paris...and I waited until my second trip to Paris to do that! You can easily purchase your tickets at the booth, even in June.

• 4 weeks later...
http://parispass.com Get a "Paris Pass" which includes a boat trip on the Seine, entrance to over 60 sites and attractions (without lineups), unlimited transportation etc. You can get it for whatever period you are there. They ship your pass internationally, and it doesn't start until you use it for the first time.;)

We were just in Paris in September and did it all on our own. It is very easy to do, especially using mass transit. I found several walking tours online and downloaded them and then printed them out.

I go to used book stores and find the city we want to tour and literally rip out the pages that are of interest. I spent maybe $2.00 on a 2009 Fodors Paris guide. Yes, the prices & hours may have changed on the sites but the physical flocation hasn't. I put those items in a plastic "sleeve" and stick it in my backpack. My husband downloads the metro info and any other info into his gps and off we go. Most European cities are easy to DIY and we love to explore on our own. It will require some research on your part, but I think that is half the fun!!

Did you find the lines for the Eifle Tower and The louvre extremly long?We will be there at the start of June

The entrance in the passage Richelieu, coming off of the rue de Rivoli, is normally not crowded. We always use it to avoid the crowds.

Freddie nailed the highlights. Paris is a city where you do not need a tour guide of any kind. Buy your musee pass and metro carnets and just go.

Versailles on Tuesday so you see the fountains. The trains run and are an easy, pretty, ride.

My favorite for an over the top Paris lunch is Laperousse, on the left bank, along the Seine. Very old school in feel, but lovely. Paris at it's most Parisian.

And walk. Walk anywhere and everywhere. Paris was made for walking.

When we were in Paris last September we used City Free Tours ..

http://www.cityfreetour.com/home/

They are remarkable. They have a number of tours that they give and we took four of them and covered a great deal of Paris. Tamara and Chris are very good guides and all it will cost you is a tip as little or as much as you want to give. I really recommend them.

I have booked them for the Monmatre tour when we are in paris, i wasnt sure the classic tour covered enough or you would have to go on the others to see it all, what tours did yo do ?

When we were in Paris last September we used City Free Tours ..

http://www.cityfreetour.com/home/

They are remarkable. They have a number of tours that they give and we took four of them and covered a great deal of Paris. Tamara and Chris are very good guides and all it will cost you is a tip as little or as much as you want to give. I really recommend them.

We did the classic tour (it was extensive and very rewarding), Montmatre, the left bank tour and the Bastille tour. They were all of a very high quality and the guides were exceptional. I did a review on Trip Advisor because I thought they were that good and all they work for is a tip from a tourist.

Thank you for that update, i might book the classic one then as well it would be the same time as our included tour from Avalon but i think i would prefer to go on the walking tour instead of just driving past in the bus.

We did the classic tour (it was extensive and very rewarding), Montmatre, the left bank tour and the Bastille tour. They were all of a very high quality and the guides were exceptional. I did a review on Trip Advisor because I thought they were that good and all they work for is a tip from a tourist.

• 11 months later...
Found this wonderful thread for those of us who are doing Paris this year.:) Lots of great ideas.

Thank you, wow some great information here. We will be in Paris in June/July 2014, pre and post Avalon Grand France cruise, but its never too early to start planning :D

for those who are comfortable with DIY, try;

http://www.frommers.com/destinations/paris/0062020033.html

if you notice on the left hand side are also Walking Tour 2 & 3. Then click on "maps" on the left side and you'll see a listing for "walking tour 1", etc and they match the description. We like these because they show the metro stops to use.

There is also a listing of other great info for Paris. Have a great time!

Thanks for the great ideas posted here. I too have been researching away for our pre-cruise 3 days in Paris (on our own).

Found this and thought it would be a great idea to see all the lights at night.

http://en.parisauthentic.com/night-tour-paris.html

there are other similar tours and companies that offer both day and night. Advantage is you get your own tour and can stop and see what you wish in the timeframe.

Arriving Paris May 21. Can't wait.

Thanks for the Paris Authentic link. Rick Steves recommends them in this book (he probably gets a kick back:rolleyes::D) If you go to Rick Steves facebook page he actually has a short video. I'm torn between a Seine night cruise or this sort of thing. decisions decisions

My husband is a car nut and is very excited about the 2CV:confused:

My hubby too. And I think I read it is the kind of car that Inspector Clousseau <sp> from Pink Panther movies rode around in. lol I also found out from Rick Steves the location of the Police Station in the Pink Panther movies. It is close to Notre Dame.

I saw that, and was just going to post it here. The thing to especially note is that these pickpockets are children. So never let your guard down. I am also planning to only carry a small amount of cash, and have everything else locked up at the hotel.

USA Today article dated -- 4/10/13

Pickpockets force Paris' Louvre Museum to close its doors. Please see link below to read article.

Unfortunately, this a fact of life when traveling.

John

http://www.usatoday.com/story/dispatches/2013/04/10/louvre-museum-paris-pickpockets/2071205/

Archived