St. Thomas/St. Maarten advice

I will be on the AOS sailing Aug. 14th. Last year, I proposed to my fiance aboard this ship (aruba route). We visited St. Maarten/Martin and it was by far our favorite island. We did the Rhino Rider and then toured the island with a cab drive "the man of the land", so we've seen quite a bit of the island recently.

In addition, we did the Paradise Point excursion in St. Thomas and the "BOB" (which we found to be very disappointing....there weren't any fish!!)

Does anyone have any suggestions for excursioins for a 27 and 26 year old honeymoon couple who love just about any idea that you can throw at us regarding these two islands?

Any and all ideas would be great!

In St. Maarten we did the America's Cup Regatta. It was fabulous! We drew the Stars and Stripes, and beat True North! Can you imagine how I felt when I was able to steer the Stars and Stripes back into the harbor? That is the excursion in St. Maarten that I would recommend. We also had time afterward to spend the afternoon at Dawn Beach.

In St. Thomas I would go over to St. John. Such a beautiful little island. There are other good things to do in St. T, such as snorkeling at Buck Island.

Have a great honeymoon!

Michelle

Hey Michelle...

Awesome suggestion...I looked into doing the America's Cup sail last year. I totally forgot about it. I've heard so much about Meagans Bay....would you recommend Dawn Beach or Meagans as a follow up to the America's Cup? Also, would you do the sailing in the morning or afternoon? Thanks....

Everyone comments on how awesome St. John is. What can you do there that is more beneficial than staying on St. Thomas? Is the snorkeling and/or beaches better there? Is it more romantic? adventurous?

In St. Thomas, take an excursion over to St. John. The Trunk Bay beach is in the National Park system and is one of the world's top ten beaches. There is an underwater snorkling course, snack bar, gift shop and showers. We took the ship sponsored excursion. Others, to save a few $$$, took a cab to the ferry, then another cab to the park. On our excursion, a chartered boat was waiting for us right next to the Brilliance, and returned us with no hassle. Either way, you'll love Trunk Bay.

I wouldn't recommend Magens Bay to you....I was there in Jan. and very disappointed..... it was commercial, dirty..... It used to be beautiful..... And on St. Maarten, do Orient Bay.......beautiful and lot's of beach.... and a bar....... lot's of fun.....:)

Better yet....on St. John take the hiking trail from the trailhead behind the Nat'l Parks office in Cruz Bay. It leads to Honeymoon Beach! It's a nice hike and the beach can only be accessed by the trail or by boat.

I also recommend you guys visit Trunk Bay on St. Johns - it is a short trip from St. Thomas- it is so incredibly beautiful and so unspoiled. The snorkeling and beach is just incredible. We took an excursion there and spent the day- I will never forget it- I would like to see it again! This is something not to be missed!!!!!

I did the Lord Sheffield sailing tour in St. Martin. For $50, you get a half-day of sailing around St. Martin, swimming, snorkeling, mast diving (for the brave). Lunch and beverages (alcoholic and non-alcoholic) are included. I’d highly recommend this tour, if you can get a ticket. They do sell out way in advance.

My fiance and I will be on the same sailing for our honeymoon. We are also 27 & 26 and looking into shore excursions now. St. Thomas and St. Martin have been the hardest for us to choose. We are torn between really athletic/hard to get to excursions and reality. Our wedding is the day before sailing and our flight is at 7:20am so after two days of getting up at 5am we are going to be dead tired. We are definitly considering St. John with the ships excursion in St. Thomas. In St. Martn I think we will just take a cab to Orient Beach, however, the Americas Cup Regatta is very tempting. I hope this helps.

I agree with the others who have given a thumbs up to St. John. It's one of the prettiest places I've been, just great beaches. Trunk is nice, has good facilities. Probably the further east the beach, the less people. Cinnamon is the next one east, it has facilities, and is great. We've also been to Maho, which was beautiful....very few people, the people I was with who snorkelled said it was excellent. There is a campground/place with platform tents up the hillside where you can purchase drinks, otherwise facilities are limited.

In St. Thomas, take an excursion over to St. John. The Trunk Bay beach is in the National Park system and is one of the world's top ten beaches. There is an underwater snorkling course, snack bar, gift shop and showers. We took the ship sponsored excursion. Others, to save a few $$$, took a cab to the ferry, then another cab to the park. On our excursion, a chartered boat was waiting for us right next to the Brilliance, and returned us with no hassle. Either way, you'll love Trunk Bay.

YAY! YAY! YAY!

Go to trunk Bay! You won't be disapointed!!!!!!!!!!!! I'd go there again in a heartbeat. It was so gorgeous, and such a perfect little beach. It's definitely one of my favorite places on earth!

We saved a few $$$, and took a cab, ferry, and cab to St. John. We loved it and would go again! There are pics in my signature link. Check them out. ;)

If you have never been over to St. John then I would suggest that. Trunk Bay is a great place. In St. Maarten, I would do Orient Beach. One of the most beautiful beaches that I have seen. It is a clothing optional beach so be prepared for that.

While on St. Maarten:

My mom and dad took a nude cruise on the Carnival Legend. They are nudists and went to Orient Beach, and they really liked it.

Naren and I were on the AOS and we went to Maho Beach and watched the planes come in. That was so awesome! Such an experience! I'd do that again in a heartbeat! :D

The beach can be rocky in places, but if you go further down toward the restaurant, then it's not a problem at all. The waves can be a bit rough, but the water's gorgeous! :D

I would suggest that you look into The Winifred in St. Thomas. Sharon (the Skipper) and her first mate Tommy will see to it that you both have a wonderful day that you both will remember for sometime to come. A number of people here on Cruise Critic have done this, and I don't think anyone disliked their day. You might want to search past posts. We did this last year and will be doing it again this year. Whatever you do, I'm sure you'll both have a wonderful time! :)

Hey Michelle...

Awesome suggestion...I looked into doing the America's Cup sail last year. I totally forgot about it. I've heard so much about Meagans Bay....would you recommend Dawn Beach or Meagans as a follow up to the America's Cup? Also, would you do the sailing in the morning or afternoon? Thanks....

Everyone comments on how awesome St. John is. What can you do there that is more beneficial than staying on St. Thomas? Is the snorkeling and/or beaches better there? Is it more romantic? adventurous?

You can only do the America's Cup through the ship. When we went, it was a morning excursion. We had an early sail-away time, so we opted for Dawn Beach rather than Orient since it was closer. I have been to both beaches, and personally, I like Dawn better. I like to snorkel and it was not good snorkeling at Orient.

Megan's Bay is in St. T, not St. Maarten., so it would take too much time for the transportation. ;)

Glad so many agree with me about St. John. I guess we all have GREAT taste! Also, the ferry ride over there is so pretty. I have a picture taken from the ferry on my bathroom wall. :)

Michelle

On St. Thomas we always do the taxi from the cruise ship to Red Hook, then the bargain ferry to Cruz Bay, St. John, followed by a short cab ride to Trunk Bay for a couple of hours of the finest beach for swimming and snorkeling in the USVI. On St. Martin, you can shop for a while in Philipsburg, then take a cab over to Dawn Beach and chill at Mr. Busby's right on the beach. Cheap beer, great grilled local fresh lobster.

How long did it take to get over to Trunk Bay? What does it cost?

In St Maartin how far to Dawn Beach and how much? Last time we were in St Maattin we rented a car and drove over to Orient. I wanted to shop on the french side but parking was such a mad house.

Yes I too was wondering how long it takes to get over to St. John to Trunk's Bay? Can you take a water taxi over or do you have to take land one?

Here is a link that has the ferry schedule with it, as well as a lot of other info.:

http://www.*****/

St. John is a separate island and it takes about 15-20 minutes on the ferry from Red Hook. You have to take a taxi from the ship's dock to Red Hook. When on St. John, you have to take another taxi to whichever beach you go.

The trip on the ferry is very scenic. I have a picture from that trip on my bathroom wall. So pretty.

Michelle

Rent a car at the pier in the morning and drive to Orient beach and spend a few hours. Nice beach facilities, you will have a good time there. Drive to Marigot for lunch and walk around the town. Drive back to the peir and walk around Philipsburg before heading back to the ship.

How long did it take to get over to Trunk Bay? What does it cost?

It takes an hour each way, and the price for the 1st taxi, ferry, and 2nd taxi, plus beach entry fee is: $27 per person (based on our experience in April 2005). IT IS SOOOO WORTH IT! :D

You have to do this!

This is why this board is such an amazing idea....so many people from so many places recommending the same thing...

I guess we'll be spending the day on St. John....

As for many posters who have recommended shopping in St. Maarten, we went to Marigot on our engagement cruise....We were thinking the America's Cup would be something different. Anyone have any bad reviews of this?

Keep the comments coming....any other advice for me on the islands of Barbados, St. Lucia, and/or Antigua?

Adam

Archived