Do I need Passport to Leave Ship?

You can take 3 or 4 night cruise for under $300. A new passport costs a minimum of $135...about half of the cost of the cruise...a huge percentage increase in the cost. It certainly could mean the difference between affording the cruise and not.

The passport should be considered a cost of the trip, just like port parking or airfare or tips or whatever.

The worst part is that I'll wager the majority of those who cruise without a passport have bar tabs that far exceed the cost of the passport.

Frankly I can't wait until the US government requires everyone to have a passport if they leave the US borders and want to come back. It would do a lot to help with homeland security. A lot more than some of the illusions they are using now.

PS--a cruise that costs $50 a day is not a cruise I'd want to be on. I'd rather stay home than sleep in a cell and eat prison slop.

Edited by ducklite

You can take 3 or 4 night cruise for under $300. A new passport costs a minimum of $135...about half of the cost of the cruise...a huge percentage increase in the cost. It certainly could mean the difference between affording the cruise and not.

It made a huge difference for me. I know that it's smarter to have a passport for emergency reasons and just in general. But, I am taking advantage of the fact that I don't need a passport with this closed loop cruise. If I needed a passport, I wouldn't have been able to afford the trip. Being a college student, I live on a budget and without a passport, I could afford this trip. If I were to have to get a passport, it would mean the difference of me not going because I wouldn't have as much time to save up for the other cost's of the trip. It's really just a huge convenience for myself. Once again, I'm not against Passports, it's just incredibly convenient for me that I don't need one for this cruise.

It made a huge difference for me. I know that it's smarter to have a passport for emergency reasons and just in general. But, I am taking advantage of the fact that I don't need a passport with this closed loop cruise. If I needed a passport, I wouldn't have been able to afford the trip. Being a college student, I live on a budget and without a passport, I could afford this trip. If I were to have to get a passport, it would mean the difference of me not going because I wouldn't have as much time to save up for the other cost's of the trip. It's really just a huge convenience for myself. Once again, I'm not against Passports, it's just incredibly convenient for me that I don't need one for this cruise.

We are cruising on Oasis of the Seas in May. My DH, DD and myself do not have a passport. Praying for no emergency! My DH did tell me now surfing on board!!

Until, we are required to have one, we won't get one. We don't travel much outside of the states. Enjoy, your cruise!!!

njhorseman: Just when your posts were being written in an easy to understand way, you go back to U.S. Government gobbledygook. Let's start with:

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Do you realize how many wrong answers you will get from calling your cruise line? This statement goes back to the Western Hemisphere (still don't think the average person knows where that is). Either passports are needed there or not. The above paragraph is a great example of convoluted rules.

And, what average person living in the United States understands this:

Application of the PVSA

1. Where Does the PVSA Apply?

The PVSA applies to the United States, including the island territories and possessions of the United States, e.g., Puerto Rico. See 46 U.S.C. § 55101(a). However, the coastwise laws generally do not apply to the following: 1) American Samoa; 2) the Northern Mariana Islands; 3) Canton Island; or 4) the Virgin Islands. See 46 U.S.C. § 55101(b).

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

When you use terms like "laws generally do not apply. . ." again, either they do or they do not apply. What is with the term "generally"?

Not trying to pick on you. . . . just think that posts you write are much clearer and understandable than quoting from the U.S. Government. Perhaps there should be a "sticky" at the top of this board with a listing of the countries you can currently visit without a passport.

Back to my orginal point. If cruise lines offered trips to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin islands, those of you who do not want to get a passport for any reason could sail there. If, after taking this cruise you feel like expanding your travels, get a passport.

Agree with ducklite that the cost of drinks on board a ship usually exceed the cost of a cruise.

The bottom line for me is that it is more important for the United States to protect it's borders than it is for anyone to be able to afford a cruise. While passports are not foolproof, they are a heck of a lot better than certified birth certificates which are so incredibly easy to forge. No one knows what a birth certificate from a particular state looks like. . . not even what size they are. State birth certificates are not standardized. Yet, the U.S. government allows people to travel outside of the country and return with one of these??? Go figure.

Edited by Travelcat2

So what will you do if you break your leg and have to be evacuated from the ship? How do you plan on getting home?

So what will you do if you break your leg and have to be evacuated from the ship? How do you plan on getting home?

She can still get home, there just are extra steps that need to be taken that take time and can be a hassle.

njhorseman: Just when your posts were being written in an easy to understand way, you go back to U.S. Government gobbledygook. Let's start with:

Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Do you realize how many wrong answers you will get from calling your cruise line? This statement goes back to the Western Hemisphere (still don't think the average person knows where that is). Either passports are needed there or not. The above paragraph is a great example of convoluted rules.

And, what average person living in the United States understands this:

Application of the PVSA

1. Where Does the PVSA Apply?

The PVSA applies to the United States, including the island territories and possessions of the United States, e.g., Puerto Rico. See 46 U.S.C. § 55101(a). However, the coastwise laws generally do not apply to the following: 1) American Samoa; 2) the Northern Mariana Islands; 3) Canton Island; or 4) the Virgin Islands. See 46 U.S.C. § 55101(b).

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

When you use terms like "laws generally do not apply. . ." again, either they do or they do not apply. What is with the term "generally"?

Not trying to pick on you. . . . just think that posts you write are much clearer and understandable than quoting from the U.S. Government. Perhaps there should be a "sticky" at the top of this board with a listing of the countries you can currently visit without a passport.

Back to my orginal point. If cruise lines offered trips to Puerto Rico and the U.S. Virgin islands, those of you who do not want to get a passport for any reason could sail there. If, after taking this cruise you feel like expanding your travels, get a passport.

Agree with ducklite that the cost of drinks on board a ship usually exceed the cost of a cruise.

The bottom line for me is that it is more important for the United States to protect it's borders than it is for anyone to be able to afford a cruise. While passports are not foolproof, they are a heck of a lot better than certified birth certificates which are so incredibly easy to forge. No one knows what a birth certificate from a particular state looks like. . . not even what size they are. State birth certificates are not standardized. Yet, the U.S. government allows people to travel outside of the country and return with one of these??? Go figure.

Sorry, not everyone finds it to be gobbledygook . I post information from the official government sources in order to demonstrate I'm not making this stuff up. I also rely on my own experience as a former travel agency owner as well as any knowledge I've gained through my personal travel and from other knowledgeable posters here.

There's no need to call your cruise line. Instead go to the cruise line's web site. They will have the requirements for a closed loop cruise as well as other types of cruises there in writing and not subject to misinterpretation by a telephone customer service rep. You may recall I was even able to show you by citing their web site that Regent enforces a passport requirement on closed loop cruises even if the government would have allowed you to cruise with a birth certificate.

Finally, although I always recommend using a passport for international travel even if one isn't required, I refuse to pass judgement on others who choose to go the route of satisfying the minimum legal requirements. I'm willing to assume that an intelligent adult is capable of understanding the potential risks of cruising without a passport and is willing to assume responsibility for taking those risks. Why is it anyone else's business? I find the finger wagging to be incredibly patronizing.

She can still get home, there just are extra steps that need to be taken that take time and can be a hassle.

Time and MONEY and if she doesn't have $135 for a passport, how will she come up with the cash for one while she's in a foreign country (ie $250 once you factor in all the expediting costs) plus airfare and everything else?

Time and MONEY and if she doesn't have $135 for a passport, how will she come up with the cash for one while she's in a foreign country (ie $250 once you factor in all the expediting costs) plus airfare and everything else?

Generally when an emergency arises people are able to come up with ways to procure necessary funds to handle the situation. That does not mean they would want to spend money in advance on something (i.e. a passport) where there is less than a 1% they will need to use the item and money is tight. I personally would not travel outside the US without a passport, but can understand why some people would risk it and elect to choose otherwise. So long as they aware of the risks and make informed decision, that is their choice to make.

Sorry, not everyone finds it to be gobbledygook . I post information from the official government sources in order to demonstrate I'm not making this stuff up. I also rely on my own experience as a former travel agency owner as well as any knowledge I've gained through my personal travel and from other knowledgeable posters here.

There's no need to call your cruise line. Instead go to the cruise line's web site. They will have the requirements for a closed loop cruise as well as other types of cruises there in writing and not subject to misinterpretation by a telephone customer service rep. You may recall I was even able to show you by citing their web site that Regent enforces a passport requirement on closed loop cruises even if the government would have allowed you to cruise with a birth certificate.

Finally, although I always recommend using a passport for international travel even if one isn't required, I refuse to pass judgement on others who choose to go the route of satisfying the minimum legal requirements. I'm willing to assume that an intelligent adult is capable of understanding the potential risks of cruising without a passport and is willing to assume responsibility for taking those risks. Why is it anyone else's business? I find the finger wagging to be incredibly patronizing.

Just to be clear, I am not passing judgement on anyone. One of the things I am questioning is not whether an intellilgent adult is capable of undersanding the potential risks of cruising without a passport. . . . rather, whether they will/have take the time to do so. Every time this subject comes up there are hundreds of questions. If this was so easy to understand by calling the cruise line or reading the website, why are so many people confused? People are busy and/or not familiar with cruising. That's why CruiseCritic is here. If most cruisers went to the website for their particular cruise line and read it thorougly, there would be little need for CC (JMHO).

In order for a divorced parent to take a child on a cruise, they need a notarized letter. Does the parent who allows the child to go know that there could be a delay -- possibly 3 days if the child is hurt. . . . if the other parent is injured. . . .a death in the family? If a the parent who is taking their children aboard a cruise without a passport had to acknowledge that they read about the possible consequences that could happen when they cruise without a passport, hopefully they will have more knowledge than they have now.

I do understand the need to post proof of the source of your information. I do that as well when required. However, explaining it in easy to understand terms does help. If a person Googles "list of countries in the Western Hemisphere", they will find the list of the countries visited by cruiselines that make closed loop cruises. They will also find a lot of countries that do not.

You have been on many, many cruises. What seems simple to you is not so simple to others (and I'm sure that works the other way around).

Lastly, you did not comment on the fact that birth certificates are easily counterfeited. I don't want to put the company name on the following for obvious reasons. There are many websites that do this.

All you need to do to get the birth certificate you want is fill out our simple order form. You can get a birth certificate for most countries, states and provinces that looks authentic. We offer two different kinds of novelty birth certificates:

- The Platinum/Official Birth Certificate: This certificate is designed to look 100% authentic to originals by using identical security grade transcript paper, raised ink crests, embossed seals, identical water markings and correct card stock weight.

- Simple Replicated Birth Certificate: This certificate is authentic looking and printed on official card stock, but lacks security features.

Edited by Travelcat2

These are all things that I have considered but I do have family in Bermuda so that's the difference between having a place to stay in case of emergency (while waiting for a passport). As stated before, not traveling with a passport is a chance I'm willing to take. I know very well the risks involved with not traveling with a passport.

My main purpose for signing up with CruiseCritic.com was to help me answer some questions, in this case being "Do I need a passport to cruise to Bermuda." Almost all of you have said that I do not and have lead me to some government issued information and sites to check out.

One thing that continues to be most confusing to me comes from the Western Hempishere Travel Initiative's website. This site states

"Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the travel documents listed below.

U.S. PassportThis is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport CardThis is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a

U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)Several states

and Canadian provinces are issuing this driver’s license

or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

Trusted Traveler Program CardsGlobal Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk."

Basically this is saying I need a passport or passport card to return home by land OR sea. Now, wouldn't that apply to me? What I don't understand (and really hoping someone can help me with this) is, if the WHTI states that I need a passport/passport card to return home by Sea, why would the cruise line not tell me that? The cruise line told me I only need a BC and ID. Or is this information voided for a closed-loop cruise because the WHTI site does not say anything about closed-loop cruises.

Someone please help! I need a straightforward answer because if I absolutely NEED a passport, I need to get one ASAP as my cruise is in May.

These are all things that I have considered but I do have family in Bermuda so that's the difference between having a place to stay in case of emergency (while waiting for a passport). As stated before, not traveling with a passport is a chance I'm willing to take. I know very well the risks involved with not traveling with a passport.

My main purpose for signing up with CruiseCritic.com was to help me answer some questions, in this case being "Do I need a passport to cruise to Bermuda." Almost all of you have said that I do not and have lead me to some government issued information and sites to check out.

One thing that continues to be most confusing to me comes from the Western Hempishere Travel Initiative's website. This site states

"Starting June 1, 2009, U.S. citizens returning home from Canada, Mexico, the Caribbean or Bermuda, by land or sea, are required to present one of the travel documents listed below.

U.S. PassportThis is an internationally recognized travel document that verifies a person’s identity and nationality. It is accepted for travel by air, land and sea.

U.S. Passport CardThis is a new, limited-use travel document that fits in your wallet and costs less than a

U.S. Passport. It is only valid for travel by land and sea.

Enhanced Driver’s License (EDL)Several states

and Canadian provinces are issuing this driver’s license

or identification document that denotes identity and citizenship. It is specifically designed for cross-border travel into the U.S. by land or sea.

Trusted Traveler Program CardsGlobal Entry, NEXUS, SENTRI or FAST enrollment cards can speed your entry into the U.S. and are issued only to pre-approved, low-risk travelers. The cards are valid for use at land or sea; the NEXUS card can be used in airports with a NEXUS kiosk."

Basically this is saying I need a passport or passport card to return home by land OR sea. Now, wouldn't that apply to me? What I don't understand (and really hoping someone can help me with this) is, if the WHTI states that I need a passport/passport card to return home by Sea, why would the cruise line not tell me that? The cruise line told me I only need a BC and ID. Or is this information voided for a closed-loop cruise because the WHTI site does not say anything about closed-loop cruises.

Someone please help! I need a straightforward answer because if I absolutely NEED a passport, I need to get one ASAP as my cruise is in May.

I'm going to try this one more time.

You haven't looked far enough into the "getyouhome.gov" site. You need to click on the bottom link of the page, where it says says "Special Groups" . When you do you'll be taken to a page that lists the exceptions to the passport requirement. On that page you'll see the closed loop cruise exception that allows you to cruise with a birth certificate (or certain other documents) and a photo ID...information I've previously cited on this thread.

You can also check the cruise line's web site...it will tell you the same thing.

I won't be making any more posts on this thread...I've lost my patience.

Edited by njhorseman

No matter how many times you ask the question, the answer is the same. You do not need a passport for this cruise - unless you end up needing to fly out of the country or back to the US (i.e. join the cruise in progress or leave the cruise early). This is 100% factual information. I would encourage you to stop looking at websites about this. A few of us on this thread have (several times now) given you the correct information.

Do my DD's (14, 13, and 10) need a photo ID as well as a passport? They obviously don't have a license, so they have no photo ID to use.

A passport is all they need.

They wouldn't even need a photo ID if they were cruising without a passport on a closed loop cruise because they're under 16.

If you're in the early saver program then by all means send it it but maybe call them. If you tell them where you saw it they can look it up to verify.

Hate booking that far ahead but we got $240 OBC once with this program!

Hello all,

As you can tell by my username, this is my first cruise experience! I'm going to Bermuda on a cruise in May and it's leaving from Boston and coming back to Boston (closed-loop) so my cruise line does not require a Passport. So, I'm taking my certified Birth Certificate and Drivers License with me to board.

My question: Do I need a passport to leave the ship to go onto the island (Bermuda) or do they just check a photo ID? I don't want to cruise to Bermuda if I can't explore the island!

Thanks! :)

I know this has been answered in many ways, with more opinions than the OP ever realized they would get. Bottom line is, for the question you asked, if you needed a passport to get into the country you were visiting (from a cruise ship), you would need a passport to board the ship in the first place.

Cruise lines are not the ones who determine this, it is the gov't (Immigration), cruise lines just don't want to be stuck with you when they return, hence they are careful about travel documentation at check in.

Since you don't need a passport for this closed loop cruise, you don't need one to visit the destinaton island.

Edited by Happy ks

On out recent trip to Bermuda the captain told us to take our passports off the ship with us!;)

Interesting...and totally contrary to any advice we've ever received (we have cruised to Bermuda many. many times on many different cruise lines). What cruise ship were you on and what was the itinerary?

You do not need a passport in Bermuda or any Caribbean island.

To get off the ship your sign 'n sail card is pushed in a slot to show you got off the ship. When you come back you show a photo ID (driver's license) and your sign 'n sail card which is pushed in again to show you are back on board.

But a passport is very good to have and you NEVER take it off the ship. You can take a COPY of it if you want.

People think of passports being expensive but they are good for TEN years. You now need one if you want to go to Canada or any other country. If you plan to cruise again, think about getting one!

Thank you Bonnie - I have cruised several times before, and I always thought you HAD to take the passport with you.

njhorseman, We were on Explorer of the Seas just going to Bermuda for two days. Where's your horse in NJ? You're probably near me!

I've cruised on the Explorer to Bermuda a couple of times and have never seen them recommend taking your passports ashore. Ours stay locked in our stateroom safe. I'm really surprised you were advised to do this.

Currently I don't own any horses, but for many years I owned Standardbreds that raced at Freehold, The Meadowlands, Yonkers and other area tracks. At that time I lived in Monmouth County, but I currently live in Mercer County.