Do I need Passport to Leave Ship?

I'm sorry for all the posts. I didn't mean to upset anybody about posting so much. I just signed up with this website for some answers from the people who have experience in cruising and for those who may have the same questions as me.

You did not do anything wrong.

I'm sorry for all the posts. I didn't mean to upset anybody about posting so much. I just signed up with this website for some answers from the people who have experience in cruising and for those who may have the same questions as me.

No need for you to apologize. You just asked a question.

Don't worry, you're fine. Some topics tend to get a bit... lively, and passport questions are one of them.:p

Okay, thank you! It's so difficult because all these websites say different things for traveling. One say's you need a passport, another say's you dont. It's quite annoying.

Annoying or not, there are different laws that apply to different kinds of travel in different places. So in one situation you need a passport, and in another you don't.

If in doubt, it is best to bring your passport. That way you have no worry about whether or not you need it.

........". And, why on earth would anyone want to get details on what hemisphere they are sailing in? Oh my!
Most people who travel with a valid passport would not care about such details at all.

But it would be of major importance to those traveling without a passport who come under the terms of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, a law of the United States.

So those are the people who would care because it will determine whether or not they are allowed to board the ship for their cruise.

But it would be of major importance to those traveling without a passport who come under the terms of the Western Hemisphere Travel Initiative, a law of the United States.

So those are the people who would care because it will determine whether or not they are allowed to board the ship for their cruise.

Correct. But doesn't it depend on the cruise line? Because the Cruise line said all I need to board is a Certified Birth Certificate and Drivers License and also that because we're staying in the Western Hempishphere on a closed-loop cruise, that's why I don't need one.

Edited by FirstTimeCruisette

Ok so regardless, I'm thinking about just getting a Passport ard. That will suffice because it's for land and sea travel so at least I know I'll be fine for the cruise that is. I know if an emergency occured I would be out of luck without a passport but like I said, that's a chance I'm willing to take.

Correct. But doesn't it depend on the cruise line? Because the Cruise line said all I need to board is a Certified Birth Certificate and Drivers License and also that because we're staying in the Western Hempishphere on a closed-loop cruise, that's why I don't need one.

The cruise line can't allow you to do something that doesn't meet the requirement of the law, so it only allows you to cruise with a birth certificate and drivers license because the law permits it.

However, the cruise line actually can decide to impose a requirement that's more stringent than the minimum requirement imposed by law, so in theory it can say you're required to have a passport to cruise on their ship even if the law only requires a birth certificate and drivers license. While none of the cruise lines that regularly offer closed loop Western Hemisphere cruises do this, there actually is at least one luxury cruise line, Regent Seven Seas Cruises, that requires all passengers to have a passport regardless of the itinerary. This cruise line doesn't offer many closed loop Western Hemisphere cruises, but it does offer some...for example it has one departing from Fort Lauderdale, Florida on March 19th. Here's their policy:

http://www.rssc.com/cruisequestions/details.aspx?CatId=88701f48-a322-4d04-91f8-fc31d6a33989#2afd84c8-5f78-445f-8f2d-9b4b850327ee

Q: What is your policy on passports and visas?

A: The latest information regarding passports and visas for U.S. and Canadian residents can be viewed here. It is the policy of Regent Seven Seas Cruises to require passports for ALL travelers for all voyages, regardless of guests' nationality and ports of call and countries visited. You must obtain and carry a valid passport to board a Regent Seven Seas Cruises vessel. Passport Cards or a copy of a passport are not accepted. Passports must be valid for six months beyond the conclusion of your cruise. Please obtain or renew your passports early. Consult your travel professional or customs authority for documentation requirements for your cruise.

Edited by njhorseman

However, the cruise line actually can decide to impose a requirement that's more stringent than the minimum requirement imposed by law, so in theory it can say you're required to have a passport to cruise on their ship even if the law only requires a birth certificate and drivers license.

I'm sure it won't be long before all cruise lines adopt this policy. I'm traveling on the Norweigan and they specifically told me that all I need is a Birth Certificate and I.D. so I'll go with that!

I'm sorry for all the posts. I didn't mean to upset anybody about posting so much.

If everyone worried about upsetting others, there would be no CC.:rolleyes:

Relax and feel free to post anything you want.

I'm sure it won't be long before all cruise lines adopt this policy. I'm traveling on the Norweigan and they specifically told me that all I need is a Birth Certificate and I.D. so I'll go with that!

Yes, NCL doesn't impose anything beyond the minimum legal requirement of a birth certificate and drivers license. The same is true for the other large mass market cruise lines including Royal Caribbean, Carnival and others.

I disagree about the cruise lines soon adopting a passport requirement even if the government doesn't. It was the cruise lines that lobbied to get the closed loop cruise exemption from the passport requirement. They were afraid they would lose business if everyone was required to have a passport.

Some very interesting comments. This subject is always a bit challenging. njhorseman: it's interesting that you used Regent's policy as an example. We cruise mostly on Regent. They do their closed loop itineraries from around November through March and have no difficulty filling the ships with their passport requirement (however, the ships they use carry 490 - 700 passengers). The company that owns Regent (and Oceania) has approximately 50% ownership in Norwegian. I was not aware of their lack of passport requirement.

I don't want to take this thread off topic but have to wonder why the U.S. government would change their passport requirements due to lobbying. IMO, the only reason to make changes is for security of this country. Okay -- now off of my soapbox:rolleyes:

In terms of my comment about the Western Hemisphere...... I've argued this previously on this board. I wonder how many people on CruiseCritic could write down 50% of the countries in the Western Hemisphere? My only point is that, IMO, when "regulars" answer a question, it is sometimes better to explain it in plain terms. Again, this is just my opinion.

Some very interesting comments. This subject is always a bit challenging. njhorseman: it's interesting that you used Regent's policy as an example. We cruise mostly on Regent. They do their closed loop itineraries from around November through March and have no difficulty filling the ships with their passport requirement (however, the ships they use carry 490 - 700 passengers). The company that owns Regent (and Oceania) has approximately 50% ownership in Norwegian. I was not aware of their lack of passport requirement.

I don't want to take this thread off topic but have to wonder why the U.S. government would change their passport requirements due to lobbying. IMO, the only reason to make changes is for security of this country. Okay -- now off of my soapbox:rolleyes:

In terms of my comment about the Western Hemisphere...... I've argued this previously on this board. I wonder how many people on CruiseCritic could write down 50% of the countries in the Western Hemisphere? My only point is that, IMO, when "regulars" answer a question, it is sometimes better to explain it in plain terms. Again, this is just my opinion.

You have to remember that Regent is a luxury line that attracts different clientele than the mass market lines such as NCL, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival...and even theoretically more upscale lines such as Celebrity. In addition to Regent's ships carrying only a fraction of the number of passengers carried on the mass market ships, Regent's passengers are on average going to be older, wealthier and more experienced travelers than the average mass market passenger...so Regent's passengers are almost surely already going to be passport holders.

Even if a potential Regent passenger doesn't already have a passport, given the price of a Regent cruise, the slightly over $100 additional expense to get a passport is going to be only a tiny fraction of the cost of a Regent cruise. Compare that to having to spend over $100 additional to get a passport for a cruise that is only has a $299 fare. The passport is a significant additional percentage expense...one third of the cruise price.

By the way, the government didn't actually change an existing rule requiring a passport...it merely didn't adopt a proposed rule change that would have imposed the requirement. There never was a passport requirement for cruises to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and the Bahamas. At one time you also didn't need a passport to fly into these countries...but the 9/11 terrorist attacks changed all that and a variety of new requirements were imposed...but ultimately not for closed loop cruises. Surely you realize that lobbyists are always a force to be reckoned with in Washington. Every law and rule potentially effect someone's interests, both financial and otherwise, and corporations spend huge amounts of money in an attempt (often very successful) to influence the government's decisions.

Edited by njhorseman

You have to remember that Regent is a luxury line that attracts different clientele than the mass market lines such as NCL, Royal Caribbean, Princess and Carnival...and even theoretically more upscale lines such as Celebrity. In addition to Regent's ships carrying only a fraction of the number of passengers carried on the mass market ships, Regent's passengers are on average going to be older, wealthier and more experienced travelers than the average mass market passenger...so Regent's passengers are almost surely already going to be passport holders.

Even if a potential Regent passenger doesn't already have a passport, given the price of a Regent cruise, the slightly over $100 additional expense to get a passport is going to be only a tiny fraction of the cost of a Regent cruise. Compare that to having to spend over $100 additional to get a passport for a cruise that is only has a $299 fare. The passport is a significant additional percentage expense...one third of the cruise price.

By the way, the government didn't actually change an existing rule requiring a passport...it merely didn't adopt a proposed rule change that would have imposed the requirement. There never was a passport requirement for cruises to the Caribbean, Mexico, Canada, Bermuda and the Bahamas. At one time you also didn't need a passport to fly into these countries...but the 9/11 terrorist attacks changed all that and a variety of new requirements were imposed...but ultimately not for closed loop cruises. Surely you realize that lobbyists are always a force to be reckoned with in Washington. Every law and rule potentially effect someone's interests, both financial and otherwise, and corporations spend huge amounts of money in an attempt (often very successful) to influence the government's decisions.

Very good points regarding Regent. Definitely agree that the passengers on Regent are different (not always that much older -- at least not in the Caribbean) and are quite well traveled. In terms of the cost of the passport being an issue, it does not make sense to me. I have read how much people spend on cruises for alcohol, water, soft drinks internet, cell phone usage and other items -- many of which are not necessities. I do feel that children under a certain age should be able to be on their parents passport to save money. However, just having the secure feeling of knowing that if there is an emergency with one of your family members -- either at home or with you on the ship -- you can fly home almost immediately because you have a passport. This makes that document invaluable.

Again, IMO, if passports are required to fly or drive in or out of a country (thinking of driving into Canada or Mexico), the same rules should apply for cruising. Okay -- I'll shut up now:p

Edited by Travelcat2

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but... on Bermuda's website it say's...

"Residents of the United States, including infants and children, must have a valid U.S. passport to return to the country."

But that doesn't apply to me because I'm part of a closed-loop cruise, correct? I'm assuming that's just for air travel. I just don't want to board the boat back home and not be able to re-enter the U.S. because I don't have a passport. I know I'm probably all set but I just really want to be 100% sure!!!

I know I'm beating a dead horse here but... on Bermuda's website it say's...

"Residents of the United States, including infants and children, must have a valid U.S. passport to return to the country."

But that doesn't apply to me because I'm part of a closed-loop cruise, correct? I'm assuming that's just for air travel. I just don't want to board the boat back home and not be able to re-enter the U.S. because I don't have a passport. I know I'm probably all set but I just really want to be 100% sure!!!

Don't worry...that's for air arrivals. You're fine. The web sites of most countries don't list exceptions made for cruise passengers.

Don't worry...that's for air arrivals. You're fine. The web sites of most countries don't list exceptions made for cruise passengers.

Okay -- I shut up about this subject for a few days. Once again posters show exactly how convoluted this "exception" rule/law is. Perhaps there should be cruises to U.S. territories only for people who don't want (or cannot afford) a passport? They could still go to the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. For now, parents of minors using certified birth certificates should sign a form acknowledging that they understand that, in case of emergency, there will be a delay of up to xxx days in able to return home by plane. There are some parents who really do not get it.

In the meantime, I'm enjoying your posts.

Okay -- I shut up about this subject for a few days. Once again posters show exactly how convoluted this "exception" rule/law is. Perhaps there should be cruises to U.S. territories only for people who don't want (or cannot afford) a passport? They could still go to the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico. For now, parents of minors using certified birth certificates should sign a form acknowledging that they understand that, in case of emergency, there will be a delay of up to xxx days in able to return home by plane. There are some parents who really do not get it.

I'm not sure how you can afford a cruise and not a passport.

It's not convoluted at all. The Department of Homeland Security explains it in three simple sentences:

"Closed Loop" Cruises: U.S. citizens who board a cruise ship at a port within the United States, travel only within the Western Hemisphere, and return to the same U.S. port on the same ship may present a government issued photo identification, along with proof of citizenship (an original or copy of his or her birth certificate, a Consular report of Birth Abroad, or a Certificate of Naturalization). Please be aware that you may still be required to present a passport to enter the foreign countries your cruise ship is visiting. Check with your cruise line to ensure you have the appropriate documents.

Edited by njhorseman

Perhaps there should be cruises to U.S. territories only for people who don't want (or cannot afford) a passport? They could still go to the U.S. Virgin Islands and Puerto Rico.

Such a cruise would be illegal because of the PVSA unless it was a US flagged ship (NCL's Pride of America is the only such ship out of the large cruise ships; there are some small US flagged cruise ships). A foreign flagged ship must call upon a foreign port if it sails from a US port (and is a round trip cruise); it must call upon a distant foreign port if it sails from one US port and ends at another US port.

I'm not sure how you can afford a cruise and not a passport.

You can take 3 or 4 night cruise for under $300. A new passport costs a minimum of $135...about half of the cost of the cruise...a huge percentage increase in the cost. It certainly could mean the difference between affording the cruise and not.

Such a cruise would be illegal because of the PVSA unless it was a US flagged ship (NCL's Pride of America is the only such ship out of the large cruise ships; there are some small US flagged cruise ships). A foreign flagged ship must call upon a foreign port if it sails from a US port (and is a round trip cruise); it must call upon a distant foreign port if it sails from one US port and ends at another US port.

Actually, Puerto Rico and the US Virgin Islands are exempt from the PVSA, so technically this cruise is legal for a foreign-flagged ship.

From DHS:

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/trade/legal/informed_compliance_pubs/pvsa_icp.ctt/pvsa_icp.pdf

Application of the PVSA

1. Where Does the PVSA Apply?

The PVSA applies to the United States, including the island territories and possessions of the United States, e.g., Puerto Rico. See 46 U.S.C. § 55101(a). However, the coastwise laws generally do not apply to the following: 1) American Samoa; 2) the Northern Mariana Islands; 3) Canton Island; or 4) the Virgin Islands. See 46 U.S.C. § 55101(b).

EXCEPTIONS

Transportation of Passengers Between Puerto Rico and Other U.S. Ports—46 U.S.C. § 55104

An exception to the PVSA permits non-coastwise-qualified vessels (vessels not qualified to engage in the coastwise trade) to transport passengers on voyages between ports in Puerto Rico and other U.S. ports until qualified U.S. vessels are available.

Edited by njhorseman