can you overpack for Alaska?

NoobCruise

I've seen on a few boards in threads for advice for new cruisers that a common mistake is over-packing. With all the layers that are recommended and the weather possibilities, is that possible for Alaska? I can understand that happening for someplace warm and sunny like the Caribbean or Bermuda. But if you have to fly first and have weight restrictions for packing, is it possible to over-pack for Alaska? Just wondering....

And don't forget gloves.

Also, don't forget your ship has laundry facilities, so don't over pack. You can always wash them.

Don't forget the quarters :)

The ship will give you quarters - in exchange for dollars.

DON

Don't know about the rest of you, but I don't want to spend vacation time doing laundry :)

My suggestion is to pack lightweight layers and carry heavier jacket/ sweatshirt either in hand luggage or just on the plane with you.

I don't mind doing a couple of loads of laundry on vacation. I would rather do that and pack less than end up overpacking, especially if I am flying to my destination. We have learned to manage with one bag per person even to Alaska. We are going on a 14 day Alaskan cruise this summer and we are sticking to the one bag rule and really packing only what we know we will need and use. And we will carry along our Purex sheets for a few trips to the laundry.

I keep forgetting the laundry lol it's included in our package, so no need for quarters. I think I'll need to pin a note inside my suitcases before I start packing that says "laundry". That may help me limit what I put in it lol

While the layered approach is good. It also depends on what kind of weather you are used to. The crew - mainly from the south pacific islands will be in parkas. The people from Florida and other places where 70 is considered cool will be shivering and probably will want parkas - but will probably be happy in long sleeves and a fleece and will probably want a cap and gloves. Those of us who live in colder climes will probably be running around in short sleves and a light jacket. Today here in Portland it reached 65 and I was running around in short sleeves and no jacket. On previous cruises we ran into a couple from Las Vegas who were having trouble adjusting to the moisture in the air - it does make it seem colder than it really is - esp when coupled with wind.

I know that I did not directly answer your question but the obvious answer comes from the Boy Scouts - be prepared - but not over prepared or your backpack will be too heavy to handle :)

I'd rather do laundry than struggle with multiple suitcases. A fleece pullover is a very useful clothing item; lightweight but keeps you warm. If you pack a few T's to wear under the fleece, you can wash them out by hand and hang them in the shower to dry. Heck who notices what you wear or re-wear ? As long as you're clean and comfortable that's what counts. On cold wet days I could wear a jacket but if it wasn't cold I had a poncho in my daypack to throw over my fleece.

@Bonvoyagie, you're probably right about where/what you're coming from. I'm coming from California where summer temps are usually in the 100s with a few days even going as high as 105 to 110. Aug/Sept are usually our warmest months and we're going Sept 1. Plus, we are very dry.

I tend to be very sensitive to cold. In the air conditioning at 72, I'm usually pulling on a sweatshirt.

Also, we'll be doing the Tracy Arm catamaran tour out of Juneau and want to spend as much time as possible outside on the observation deck. I expect that one to be colder.

@Bonvoyagie, you're probably right about where/what you're coming from. I'm coming from California where summer temps are usually in the 100s with a few days even going as high as 105 to 110. Aug/Sept are usually our warmest months and we're going Sept 1. Plus, we are very dry.

I tend to be very sensitive to cold. In the air conditioning at 72, I'm usually pulling on a sweatshirt.

Also, we'll be doing the Tracy Arm catamaran tour out of Juneau and want to spend as much time as possible outside on the observation deck. I expect that one to be colder.

I want to make sure you book the catamaran tour where you get on the catamaran directly from Westerdam while at Tracy Arm? 'cause when you said "out of Juneau" that concerned me a little.

Hi

I always over pack. I pack every thing then I go back and look at what I have packed. I then remove and I do it again. I still overpack. I also never did laundry but this time I did. My cabin was a few door down for the laundy I would put my dirty laundry in the washer and go back to my cabin. I would either shower and get ready for dinner. Tidy up the room. Put stuff I bought or I would not be using in my suitcase. Think of what you wear at home. You do not need 14 pairs of slacks, 20 blouses, tops, 4 sweaters. leave iron home laundrty has one with a board. one coat or jacket one hoodie.. Remember you be shopping and there are lots of shops that have nice every day fleece seaters

It really is possible to overpack. Alaska is pretty casual and most layering items don't need to be laundered with each wearing. Also, the more you pack, the more suitcases you need to carry around. Also, you will need more time to pack and unpack and take care of all your stuff. We usually manage with one suitcase and one carry on each.

I want to make sure you book the catamaran tour where you get on the catamaran directly from Westerdam while at Tracy Arm? 'cause when you said "out of Juneau" that concerned me a little.

The ship isn't going to Tracy Arm. It does Juneau, Glacier Bay, then Sitka. Westerdam has a 7 hour shore excursion, the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glaciers tour. It's this one:

http://www.allenmarinetours.com/holland/juneau/tracy-round-trip.html

I realize it's going to be fast and won't dawdle much at points of interest, and we're ok with that. The wildlife doesn't get me real excited since most of what we would see - whales, sea lions, bears, deer - I see all the time between living close to Yosemite and my husband is a frequent scuba diver. I've walked on glaciers in Glacier National Park, but never seen them from the water, so this trip is all about seeing them from the water. The ship will tour Glacier Bay, but hopefully the Tracy Arm tour will be a different experience and get us up closer. And I understand your concern. I've read every post I can find on Tracy Arm and I realize this is not the best tour because Juneau is so far from Tracy Arm, but the Westerdam doesn't offer a tour that picks us up fom the ship.

The ship isn't going to Tracy Arm. It does Juneau, Glacier Bay, then Sitka. Westerdam has a 7 hour shore excursion, the Tracy Arm Fjord and Glaciers tour. It's this one:

http://www.allenmarinetours.com/holland/juneau/tracy-round-trip.html

I realize it's going to be fast and won't dawdle much at points of interest, and we're ok with that. The wildlife doesn't get me real excited since most of what we would see - whales, sea lions, bears, deer - I see all the time between living close to Yosemite and my husband is a frequent scuba diver. I've walked on glaciers in Glacier National Park, but never seen them from the water, so this trip is all about seeing them from the water. The ship will tour Glacier Bay, but hopefully the Tracy Arm tour will be a different experience and get us up closer. And I understand your concern. I've read every post I can find on Tracy Arm and I realize this is not the best tour because Juneau is so far from Tracy Arm, but the Westerdam doesn't offer a tour that picks us up fom the ship.

We were a very similar excursion to this last June. The only difference was that we were picked up from the ship in Tracy Arm. The closer we got to the glacier the colder it got, especially out side when the boat was moving. With wind chills you can expect it to feel like it is in the upper 20's.

The best thing that you can do in addition to layers is take something that is wind proof.

Would you believe we did Alaska last year with carry on luggage and only 1 checked garment bag for the four of us? It is possible. Of course we come from colder climates. The day we left Wisconsin it was 54 degrees and it stayed 54 degrees more or less our entire trip.

We used the Oosterdams bag laundry to launder undies and socks once through the trip. Amazing what can fit in that bag if you do it right. The garment bag was for our dress up clothes and shoes.

In general we each brought a couple of turtle necks, a light fleece (I ended up buying one in Sitka as well!), a knit hat, mittens/gloves, a vest to go over the fleece, a pair of jeans and casual shoes. We also had a couple of casual shirts to go with black pants for non-formal night dinners. I was the only one who ended up wearing my hat and mittens on deck at Glacier Bay. Otherwise they stayed in the cabin. I packed ponchos for bad weather, but they never came out. We had nice weather with only a little rain in Ketchican as we were leaving.

The "O" had blankets for the day we were in Glacier Bay that you can wrap up in on deck. They also served pea soup on deck. As far as inside the ship, I was fine in a fleece and t-shirt.

Remember layers, but also remember you can wear those layering items in different ways and no one will notice if you wear something more than once.

Have fun!

On my first (and only, thus far) cruise to Alaska we both had carry on and checked luggage. There were things I wore only because I brought them and paid $25 per bag to check them. After paying the money to check the luggage, you can be sure I was going to wear the clothes in those bags!

I do have to admit we had what I think was unusual weather - it was mostly sunny and mid 70's most days on that late May cruise.

This year I am going to try to do it with only carry ons. Remember you can have one overhead bag and a backpack. You can really fit a lot in both those bags. And on HAL you can have a bag of clothes washed for $27 (I think). So that's pretty close to what it would take to check that bag. And a lot more convenient.

Maybe it's a guy thing, but, personally, I don't dress for others. I want to be clean, presentable, and I do like to participate in formal night. But I don't really worry too much if I'm seen in the same outfit I've worn before. As long as I'm clean and not smelly...

You are kidding about the over packing aren't you?

Keep it simple.

Pack what you think you need then remove half.

Remember you will be living in a climate controlled can.

If you need an extra "T" shirt then buy a souvenir shirt on ship or in port,

same for a extra windbreaker.

Your will find some nice stores in Alaska.

I am still terribly confused...and scouring thrift shops for warm stuff

I am also worried about the 50 lb limit on the plane

May will be HOT here in Ft Lauderdale when I board the plane but I do intend to wear a "coat" of some sort and heavy clothes LOL to cut down on baggage weight

event_95784702.jpeg

In general we each brought a couple of turtle necks, a light fleece (I ended up buying one in Sitka as well!), a knit hat, mittens/gloves, a vest to go over the fleece, a pair of jeans and casual shoes. We also had a couple of casual shirts to go with black pants for non-formal night dinners. I was the only one who ended up wearing my hat and mittens on deck at Glacier Bay. Otherwise they stayed in the cabin. I packed ponchos for bad weather, but they never came out. We had nice weather with only a little rain in Ketchican as we were leaving.

The "O" had blankets for the day we were in Glacier Bay that you can wrap up in on deck. They also served pea soup on deck. As far as inside the ship, I was fine in a fleece and t-shirt.

Remember layers, but also remember you can wear those layering items in different ways and no one will notice if you wear something more than once.

Have fun!

Hi....when people say "fleece" what do you mean?? Is that a pullover or a jacket or a shirt or what is it actually?? Does anyone have a picture of a "fleece"?? Is it a certain type of material???

I just found out what "silk" underwear is LOL> I thought people were talking about lacy/Victoria secret style stuff but I guess it is sort of silk "long johns" right??

If you need help on swimsuit coverups or sandals I can be of use, but this stuff is just out of my experience and certainly NOT stuff we wear or own in Florida :rolleyes:

Any pictures of a "fleece" please???

Fleece is a type of fabric, not a specific item of clothing.

For those in the Lower 48 but not so far south as Florida, there are many stores having close out sales on winter clothing right now. Most of the online stores are doing so as well.

Thrift shops are a good idea if you are only going to wear this sort of stuff on one or 2 trips.

Don't overpack, you can always buy onboard or at the ports if necessary.

Also, I believe it is better to wear 3 layers of thin clothing + a wind resistive jacket (preferably water proof too) vs. a big thick parka. Its gonna do the same thing and takes less room.

Just don't forget the gloves and maybe ear muffs. When out on the deck on sea days, the wind chill could get bad.

Archived