Would you write to Carnival?

MandynJim

I'm just off the Ecstasy and the weather was terrible, not Carnival's fault, missed ports, again not Carnival's fault. However, the spring breakers on board were disrespectful, loud, obnoxious, and down right rude. The staff did NOTHING about it. I have cruised with carnival since I was 13 and I love carnival but this was over the top. We did a cruise during spring break last year but the college kids were not as rude and disrespectful of others. There was a family in the pool at one point, the son was disabled and stupid drunk college kids were doing back flips right where they were and no one stopped them. Would you write to carnival to ask that in the future they take control when this kind of thing occurs. My four year old got on to some of the college kids for cussing. I was woken up 4 out of the 5 nights at about 4am by loud people in out hallway. It was out of control!!!

I cruise during spring break the last two years, and will again this Sunday - because I am a college kid - but I'm 28, so I don't act or party like your typical 18-21yo college kid. I always cruise for 7 days during spring break. Most college kids typically stick to the shorter cruises and possibly ones that go to Mexico. The last two years I was on the Glory and I will be on the Glory again this Sunday, and I have never seen anything go bad or become overly rowdy on a cruise. If you cruise next time during a prime spring break week, try to cruise for at least 7 days

I'm just off the Ecstasy and the weather was terrible, not Carnival's fault, missed ports, again not Carnival's fault. However, the spring breakers on board were disrespectful, loud, obnoxious, and down right rude. The staff did NOTHING about it. I have cruised with carnival since I was 13 and I love carnival but this was over the top. We did a cruise during spring break last year but the college kids were not as rude and disrespectful of others. There was a family in the pool at one point, the son was disabled and stupid drunk college kids were doing back flips right where they were and no one stopped them. Would you write to carnival to ask that in the future they take control when this kind of thing occurs. My four year old got on to some of the college kids for cussing. I was woken up 4 out of the 5 nights at about 4am by loud people in out hallway. It was out of control!!!

Sometimes the college kids know the limits and stay within them, sometimes they don't. If it would make you feel any better by all means write to them, but I wouldn't expect that much would change.

I don't think I would write to them, nothing they can do about it now. I have seen kids doing this in the pool too, after a while they were stopped but it was annoying when they were doing this next to your kids. I did say something more than once and they stopped until she got out.

Did you call security when they were in the hallway. The hard part is that if they are just walking back to their rooms and they are talking loudly and drunkly to each other on the way to their rooms, they really can't do anything about that, we ALWAYS here people laughing and talking after we have gone to be, the doors aren't thick enough! If they were hanging out in the hall and knocking on doors and such security could have intervened.

We won't cruise anymore during spring break. It is just too unpredictable. I don't how these kids afford the bar bills at the end of the cruise! I look at it this way, we are older than them and more mature and some have families with them...but when we were in college and on spring break we didn't worry about anyone else either, we just wanted to have fun and when you are drinking and having fun you don't really realize that you are being that loud or bothering other people.

I think the Carnival should take a stand against too much of this happening like many of the AI resorts do...no one under 25 unless on honeymoon or accompanied by someone over the age of 25 during these spring break months...

Unfortunately I work at a University so I am off when they are and Spring Break is one of the few times a year I can cruise

I would go with summer, holiday or semester breaks. Also, there don't seem to be as many on the longer cruises. I know this is a Carnival board, but you will also get MANY less on Celebrity or HAL...

Unfortunately I work at a University so I am off when they are and Spring Break is one of the few times a year I can cruise

That sucks! Maybe as others have said about choosing an itinerary that wouldn't attract a lot of kids, or a longer one.

Good luck. :)

I think you should write if it makes YOU feel better.. but I don't think it will make a difference. The "spring break" crowd is a money maker for Carnival.. they will let them party.

I HAVE a teenager and I would never cruise during spring break.. ever.

I would go with summer, holiday or semester breaks. Also, there don't seem to be as many on the longer cruises. I know this is a Carnival board, but you will also get MANY less on Celebrity or HAL...

Agree that Carnival is "party of choice" for spring breakers. While many book least expensive cabins, they spend alot on booze.Too many to police effectively for Carnival or any other cruise line. However, the breakers tend to avoid some cruise lines due to price and average age of cruisers.

Don't think it would do any good.

I would never cruise during spring break.

I re-thought my answer about it not doing "any good". I would write them. Be nice, and possibly they would give you some incentive to book again.

Can't hurt.

Again "Good luck"! :)

I don't know if writing a letter would help.

I agree with what others have said about longer cruises. Our family cruised a 7-day over spring break a few years ago and it was one of the BEST cruises (as far as well-behaved students.) However, we recently sailed a 4-day, which was a COMPLETELY different story.

We were on the Fantasy this week on a five-night cruise to the Bahamas. I can relate about being woken up, but fortunately it was only two nights out of the five. The worst part for us was that my mother-in-law was in the cabin next to ours. When someone was banging on our door after midnight, we thought something had happened to her. But it was just a drunk guy knocking on the wrong door.

The second night was just kids hanging out in the hall talking loudly. I think they had parents with them because they looked younger than college age. I asked that they move the conversation inside and they did. We never heard them again during the cruise.

Since DH teaches at a community college, we can go on cruises when the students are out as well. I had hoped that this cruise would not have as many spring breakers since it started on a Friday, but apparently a lot of kids skipped school that day. (DH's actually had a longer springer break that included that day.)

The only time I saw security do something about behavior was to ask a couple of the kids to stop smoking in the hot tub. Overall, we did not have many problems with the kids other than those two previously mentioned incidents.

Absolutely let them know only about the issues. Such as the guys backflipping into the pool and such. While they can only do so much, it wont hurt to let them know that passengers actually DO care about some rules re-enforcement and that Spring Break is also about families, not just drunk frat boys.

If the college kids were making big waves/splashing near the disabled child, it's up to the parents to confront the college kids and have them stop. As with any "hotel" there is bound to be some hallway noise late in the evening/early mornings from those who also paid to have a good time on the ship. It happens. It's not Carnival's fault and the other guests did nothing against ship rules for them to step in. Carnival is not held responsible to nanny every person on the ship to be sure they don't have fun and be disruptive in other guest's eyes. Unfortunately, it's a free country and sometimes you just have to do things for yourself, like speak up to the those annoying you yourself or change your plans. I know we would have opened our door and requested them to be a little more quiet.

I also wouldn't have my child being the one who spoke up to the college kids about language, adults have all the right in the world to use words that might be out of the age range of a four year old. They don't need to censor themselves because of children unless they are at a school, day care facility or church. If you don't like the language or activity, move to another area because nobody is making you and your child stay there.

I was just off the same boat from the 02/27 sailing. I don't think it was just the spring breakers, although I am sure that made it worse. The staff in general was the worst I have ever had in all my years of sailing. Everyone acted rude and rushed. It really left a bad taste in my mouth for Carnival, which is sad. I really enjoyed my other cruises with them.

Yes, I think you should. In fact, I think people should voice their displeasure to CCL for many reasons.

Non-smokers have been vocal in their displeasure of the previous smoking rules for a long time. Now, they've been heard and the rules have changed in their favor. I often wonder if smokers are as vocal. I suspect that if smokers don't start raising a ruckus directly to CCL, and stop whining here, that balconys will become smoke-free very soon.

CCL needs to be held accountable for enforcing their own rules and for not allowing a few idiots to ruin a good time for other customers. CCL will continue with the "head in the sand" mentality they've been practicing for years unless their customers hold them accountable. So, please, let them know about your displeasure.

By the way...if everyone is of the mentality that "it won't do any good" and doesn't bother to let CCL know they're displeased, then it won't. If many people let them know that they're unhappy with something, then it can make a difference. Just ask Rush Limbaugh. At last count 21 sponsors have pulled from his show.

If the college kids were making big waves/splashing near the disabled child, it's up to the parents to confront the college kids and have them stop. As with any "hotel" there is bound to be some hallway noise late in the evening/early mornings from those who also paid to have a good time on the ship. It happens. It's not Carnival's fault and the other guests did nothing against ship rules for them to step in. Carnival is not held responsible to nanny every person on the ship to be sure they don't have fun and be disruptive in other guest's eyes. Unfortunately, it's a free country and sometimes you just have to do things for yourself, like speak up to the those annoying you yourself or change your plans. I know we would have opened our door and requested them to be a little more quiet.

I also wouldn't have my child being the one who spoke up to the college kids about language, adults have all the right in the world to use words that might be out of the age range of a four year old. They don't need to censor themselves because of children unless they are at a school, day care facility or church. If you don't like the language or activity, move to another area because nobody is making you and your child stay there.

I didn't MAKE my child say something about their language first off, He, on his own, said, "mommy they are saying bad words" loud enough for the college kids to hear. I can't censor my four year old. We were in the dining room btw.

Write? Absolutely!

And you may get something for your trouble.

They'd better get wise in taking control of their shops back before they chase everyone away!

Archived