Odd, rude, or okay?

Anyone else find it odd & a little rude that Carnival is calling it's new project Sunshine just like RCCL has called their current project Sunshine?

Looks like they're taking one of their older ships and refitting it to add new cabins and lounges. They're then going to rename it Carnival Sunshine.

I wonder how it happens between the different cruise lines...if they're really not aware that they're calling their ships the same names as another line; or if one or the other company plan it that way. It seems to happen an awful lot to just be coincidence. JMHO.

Sunshine, or easy access to it, is pretty much what both Royal and Carnival sell so it stands that they'd both want to highlight it as much as possible.

The existence of RC's Project Sunshine is really, really inside baseball in a cruising sense and I doubt that many people outside of diehards would even have any clue that the two companies had competing uses of the Sunshine name.

Anyone else find it odd & a little rude that Carnival is calling it's new project Sunshine just like RCCL has called their current project Sunshine?

Looks like they're taking one of their older ships and refitting it to add new cabins and lounges. They're then going to rename it Carnival Sunshine.

I wonder how it happens between the different cruise lines...if they're really not aware that they're calling their ships the same names as another line; or if one or the other company plan it that way. It seems to happen an awful lot to just be coincidence. JMHO.

I doubt either one of the new RCI ships will have "Sunshine" in its name though. Oasis and Allure were called project Genesis at first.

Using the same name has happened before, both ways.

Legend of the Seas 1995. Carnival Legend 2002.

Freedom of the Seas 2006. Carnival Freedom 2007.

Carnival Liberty 2005. Liberty of the Seas 2007.

Splendour of the Seas 1996. Carnival Splendor (no "U") 2008.

Others lines too. Both Carnival and Disney have "Magic" (and both will be in Galveston later this year).

Project Name - code name for the new design and work related to it

Ship Name - name given to individual ship, different from Project Name

Class Name - name of first ship of the design class (98% of the time)

So neither the ship nor the class will be Sunshine.

In addition I believe the shipyard has an internal reference to hull number.

Cruise line copying of other lines' names for their ships isn't anything new and only illustrates a distinct lack of imagination or creativity. It can cause confusion when we, in shorthand versions, refer to a ship by something other than its full name, but the same confusion sometimes exists when we use initials to indicate a specific ship (EOS, SOS etc.) I suppose that, at the very least, NCL is fairly confident that they will have the only cruise ships with the names Breakaway and Getaway. Not much chance of confusion there.:D

Short of Trademarking the names (if that is even possible), I guess that duplication of names is somewhat unavoidable.

As already stated, RCI's new ships will not be named Sunshine of the Seas. It's just the project name. But I see your point. Ship name copying has been going on for a while. I don't know why they do it.

What I don't find ok is adding more cabins to an already crowded and poorly designed ship.

Interesting ... they pay big bucks to the marketing department and everybody gets excited when the marketing hot shot says "I've got it! Let's use the same name that our competitor uses!"

Back in the old days, I worked for a bank, ABC Bank.

Then along came deregulation. We were no longer just a "bank". We could sell stocks and bonds and money funds.

So, we needed to change the name. We hired a marketing firm to come up with the new name. ABC Bank was out.

The new name, after paying $50,000 to the marketing firm - ABC Bancorp.

And that is a true story.

p.s. the name of the "bancorp" was changed to protect the stupid.

Here's another example: carnival Freedom and Freedom of the Seas. Which came first?

Freedom of the Seas. See my previous post. But Carnival Liberty was before the Liberty of the Seas -- Hmmmmm...Payback from RCI?

Correct me if I am wrong... and I may be..... doesn't ALL Royal Caribbean ships have ...'of the Seas' at the end of the ship name title, with the exception of Nordic Empress, Nordic Prince and Nordic Sun?

Is it going to be the Royal Caribbean Sunshine Class?

Then Sunshine of the Seas would sound right.

If it's going to be 'Sunshine Class' you can be sure the Public Areas will have plenty of sunshine spots. :-D

Correct me if I am wrong... and I may be..... doesn't ALL Royal Caribbean ships have ...'of the Seas' at the end of the ship name title, with the exception of Nordic Empress, Nordic Prince and Nordic Sun?

Is it going to be the Royal Caribbean Sunshine Class?

Then Sunshine of the Seas would sound right.

If it's going to be 'Sunshine Class' you can be sure the Public Areas will have plenty of sunshine spots. :-D

In the old days, all the RCII names were Viking inspired. It was only after the line started to expand they started with the “of the seas” thing.

I just don't get why Carnival is renaming the ship at all. What's wrong with Carnival Destiny? Maybe right now it inspires too many jokes as to what Carnival's destiny may be, but that'll pass. It just seems silly to take an old ship, do a refurb, and completely rename it. From their website it kind of looks like it'll be a completely new ship which is a bit deceiving.

they pay big bucks to the marketing department and everybody gets excited when the marketing hot shot says "I've got it! Let's use the same name that our competitor uses!"

Were not Oaisis and Allure named as a result of a contest by RCI? Contest is a good route because contestants will naturally try to avoid other ships of same name due to fear of being disqualified or not being unique or catchy enough.

Were not Oaisis and Allure named as a result of a contest by RCI? Contest is a good route because contestants will naturally try to avoid other ships of same name due to fear of being disqualified or not being unique or catchy enough.

Yep. NCL just did the same thing for their new builds.

I just don't get why Carnival is renaming the ship at all. What's wrong with Carnival Destiny?

I'm still wondering that myself. Does anyone know why yet?

Yep. NCL just did the same thing for their new builds.

Originally Posted by jebuell viewpost.gif

I just don't get why Carnival is renaming the ship at all. What's wrong with Carnival Destiny?

I'm still wondering that myself. Does anyone know why yet?

I doubt they will ever explicitly say BUT I would take a guess that the changes to the ship (and cost) are significant enough that they'd like the ship to be see as "new" rather than a more mundane refurbishment. All about marketing.

I'd say that even though I find it rude for one company to use the other company's ship names especially since the first company I'm sure spend mucho $$$ coming up with said name...I do think it's a great web search marketing ploy.

What better way to get people to see your ship's name than to name it the same as another.

Think of all the people who Google search "Liberty Cruise" and what they get in response. I'm sure they get both Carnival Liberty and RCCL Liberty of the seas and thereby are exposed to both products. Even though I don't agree with the tactic I do see it as kinda genius in a way.

JMHO.

Archived