Dream. Not so much a review as just a need to share!

shootr

We were on Dream 3 weeks ago in Cove #2345 and absolutely loved it! Great midship location. Very little water on the balcony and we really enjoyed the fantastic views. I brought a bungee cord along and we slept several nights with the door wide open! Yes - there are boats overhead, but they really aren't that close and they didn't bother us at all. Would definately book a cove again!

We were on Dream 3 weeks ago in Cove #2345 and absolutely loved it! Great midship location. Very little water on the balcony and we really enjoyed the fantastic views. I brought a bungee cord along and we slept several nights with the door wide open! Yes - there are boats overhead, but they really aren't that close and they didn't bother us at all. Would definately book a cove again!

We used the slide lock to block the door open just enough to get the sound and smell while keeping the room comfy. I so envy anybody that lives on a coast and can enjoy that every night!

We used the slide lock to block the door open just enough to get the sound and smell while keeping the room comfy. I so envy anybody that lives on a coast and can enjoy that every night!

We live 2 blocks back from the Atlantic and with this nice winter we have had the windows open for a while now. The ocean during the late winter/spring is almost deafening. Love waking up to it!:D

shootr,

Great pics, but the second half of this time lapse is my favorite! What camera did you use? I especially enjoyed the part after sunset when the ship passed in the distance and the moon reflection across the water and pulling away from Mahogany Bay too. :)

I'm gonna try this for Miami sailaway and from each port.

shootr,

Great pics, but the second half of this time lapse is my favorite! What camera did you use? I especially enjoyed the part after sunset when the ship passed in the distance and the moon reflection across the water and pulling away from Mahogany Bay too. :)

I'm gonna try this for Miami sailaway and from each port.

For these I just used a 5 year old 6MP SeaLife point and shoot that had a 10sec. "spy" (time lapse) mode. Bought a c-clamp camera mount and mounted it to the rail. Safety tethered the camera to the railing also in case it worked loose, then just let it shoot until the card was full or the batteries died.

All the movement - just the Captain obliging me by steering the ship around to change the view, then slowing down to let the Celebrity ship catch up. He's a team player.

;) (pure luck)

For most my efforts, I use my Canon Rebel xi with a remote timer. Also an eBay find, it was way cheaper than the Canon one. You can set everything - how many shots to take, how often, time between shots, etc. It works well too, but I knew I was leaving the camera unattended for the cruise ones and didn't want to risk a rogue wave ruining things.

thinking about a cove balcony, did you hear noise from above with the galley being above?

I've read that others heard noise from above, but we were under the dining room - it was nice and quiet.

For most my efforts, I use my Canon Rebel xi with a remote timer. Also an eBay find, it was way cheaper than the Canon one. You can set everything - how many shots to take, how often, time between shots, etc. It works well too, but I knew I was leaving the camera unattended for the cruise ones and didn't want to risk a rogue wave ruining things.

shootr,

I switched from P&S to Canon DSLR in September 2011. I have a remote that I haven't tried out yet, but I'm pretty sure it just does 10sec delay and is wired or wireless. I don't think it does all you mentioned. I also bought a Canon P&S though I'm not up to speed on it yet and don't recall the model number (I'm @ work and can't check). It just came out in August. Anyhow, I don't know if it has the 'spy cam' or similar feature or not; I hope it does and if so I'll use it. I'll also research my trusty old Kodaks and see if any have that feature.

For these I just used a 5 year old 6MP SeaLife point and shoot that had a 10sec. "spy" (time lapse) mode. Bought a c-clamp camera mount and mounted it to the rail. Safety tethered the camera to the railing also in case it worked loose, then just let it shoot until the card was full or the batteries died.

All the movement - just the Captain obliging me by steering the ship around to change the view, then slowing down to let the Celebrity ship catch up. He's a team player.

;) (pure luck)

shootr,

I wondered how that ship was able to overtake you so quick! Always nice to have a Captain willing to accomodate for pics.....unless it involves 'salutes' to islands. :eek:

Mine looks exactly like this:

220693852.jpg

There is another person here that does really outstanding ones. He sets his for 8 seconds/between shots if I remember correctly.

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1556672

With my 12MP Canon, I can get 700+ images on a 4gb card, which at 5 sec/shot would be approx. an hour. More pics closer together smooths out the video, lets you keep the frame rate to .05-.07 sec/per exposure.

Next time, I would go for 5-7 sec./between shots, and get at least 2 hours of camera time. Stitched together at .05 sec. frame rate would be a lot smoother/cooler. Lowering the camera quality setting from 12MP to the next one under will save memory and not be noticeable in the final edit.

I would also use my 50MM 1.8 lens, as mine in the P&S were at F4.5.

Practice ahead of time with clouds or sunsets or something. Leaving the camera on AUTO will change the output vs. manually setting some parameters. It can creates surprises (good and bad) you may not want to chance with a rare opportunity like you have coming up.

Good Luck!

Archived