NCL's new non smoking police....$250.00 fine

fletchers5

I disagree completely with this statement.

As well, if you read these boards from prior to the no-smoking in cabin policy you will find very little complaints (even from the most pro-nosmoking groups) about problems in the cabin. NCL did a very good job of omitting any after affects from the previous smoking passengers.

Right, NCL did a good job of cleaning up the smell of a smoker breaking the rules. Everyone on here squaks when someone doesn't want to tip accordingly due to some issue but if you break a rule to convenience yourself no one has a problem having the crew scrub/sanitize away the smell of smoker, causing them added work? They will never see a dime of that $250 fine for their added work.

Smokers portray themselves as victims, as they can't control their needs, but the same argument could be made for rapists and serial killers.

You've got to be kidding :rolleyes:

Right, NCL did a good job of cleaning up the smell of a smoker breaking the rules. Everyone on here squaks when someone doesn't want to tip accordingly due to some issue but if you break a rule to convenience yourself no one has a problem having the crew scrub/sanitize away the smell of smoker, causing them added work? They will never see a dime of that $250 fine for their added work.

No one was breaking any rules before Jan. 1st, smoking was allowed in cabins. And I haven't seen one post on CC that states that any smoker has actually broken the rule and/or been fined for it.

I would be happy if they banned smoking from one side of the ship or the entire ship. We chose not to get a balcony this time because on our last cruise it was a waste of money. The family next to us were chain smokers and always out on their balcony and unfortunately we were downwind and could never have our door open or use the balcony. We actually chose not to even book with NCL this time because while our steward was great about trying to resolve the problem...the company itself was not... Our son is allergic to smoke and we don't want to take the chance on ruining the vacation.

I would be happy if they banned smoking from one side of the ship or the entire ship. We chose not to get a balcony this time because on our last cruise it was a waste of money. The family next to us were chain smokers and always out on their balcony and unfortunately we were downwind and could never have our door open or use the balcony. We actually chose not to even book with NCL this time because while our steward was great about trying to resolve the problem...the company itself was not... Our son is allergic to smoke and we don't want to take the chance on ruining the vacation.

Well then I guess you have found a way to solve your issue. Gotta love when we have choices in life.

It will be interesting to see how the new policy, still allowing smoking on balconies, works for NCL. It sounds like many more smokers will book with NCL, and many more non-smokers will flee (or will book only inside cabins so as not to waste money on a balcony they may not be able to use).

NCL may find that there are not enough smokers booking to offset the loss of non-smokers. Or they may find that still allowing smoking on balconies does offset those loses.

We'll find out when we see how long smoking will continue to be allowed on balconies.

It will be interesting to see how the new policy, still allowing smoking on balconies, works for NCL. It sounds like many more smokers will book with NCL, and many more non-smokers will flee (or will book only inside cabins so as not to waste money on a balcony they may not be able to use).

NCL may find that there are not enough smokers booking to offset the loss of non-smokers. Or they may find that still allowing smoking on balconies does offset those loses.

We'll find out when we see how long smoking will continue to be allowed on balconies.

Time will tell, but I'm sure some bean counter somewhere on NCL has already crunched the proposed effects.

I was reading an article the other day that stated from one cruise line "Our consumer studies now show that smokers are a small minority of our passengers". Some days I seriously wonder where to heck they come up with these studies. I for one, when filling out my cruise papers, was never once asked if I smoked or not.

Go ahead and smoke, it will just put people like my daughter who has asthma, into an asthma attack and cost you $250, possibly cost my daughter her life..makes sense to me

Think of others please! Many people have health issues that you may not know of or are able to 'see' and smoking can cause horrendous problems for some...just walk up and outside to smoke

Go ahead and smoke, it will just put people like my daughter who has asthma, into an asthma attack and cost you $250, possibly cost my daughter her life..makes sense to me

Think of others please! Many people have health issues that you may not know of or are able to 'see' and smoking can cause horrendous problems for some...just walk up and outside to smoke

Since we are discussing "smoking in your own cabin" and the fine for breaking that policy. Perhaps your daughter shouldn't be inside a smoker's cabin. As stated above, this would not affect you or your daughter if you were the next one in the cabin since NCL did do a great job at omitting any smoke from previous passengers. And obviously plans to do the same with the money they are making from the $250 fine.

It really is over the top posts like this that cause smokers to not take all of these posts seriously.

Although I am not totally against smoking, I have recently cruised two Princess ships after the smoking ban in cabins and balconies, and found it to be much more pleasant than cruising ships that allow it.

I believe smoking bans will continue due to the costs to the cruise lines in repairing damage caused by smokers.

Since we are discussing "smoking in your own cabin" and the fine for breaking that policy. Perhaps your daughter shouldn't be inside a smoker's cabin. As stated above, this would not affect you or your daughter if you were the next one in the cabin since NCL did do a great job at omitting any smoke from previous passengers. And obviously plans to do the same with the money they are making from the $250 fine.

It really is over the top posts like this that cause smokers to not take all of these posts seriously.

i quite agree with you, that post has to be one of the most ridiculous I have ever seen on here and there has been a few !!! So smokers are now being accused of possibly killing people on cruise ships, no its no good i cant go on wasting my time on this one. !!!

It's hard to tell what smokers take seriously considering that you voluntarily partake in one of the deadliest and most disgusting habits known to man.

Wow, I just smoked ten cigarettes while reading this thread......sure hope I didn't get you "smokey" through the internet! I'm amazed you aren't complaining about smoking on the land as you pass or those reeking volcanoes in Hawaii and Italy.

As for those of you worried about "allergic reactions" and "life threatening" situations for your children, perhaps better you all stay home in your insulated bubble....surely none of you live in cities, where the pollution is far more dangerous that a vagrant puff of smoke..

I am usually a very courteous smoker, but look forward to cruising with some of you, so I can blow smoke right at you when you enter the smoking area waving and coughing. Enough is enough.

It's hard to tell what smokers take seriously considering that you voluntarily partake in one of the deadliest and most disgusting habits known to man.

Nope sorry the automobile already has that title, and I'd bet you own one. Ever stand on the street corner of a large city like the one most ships depart from?

I'll take all of these woe is me and drama queen posts seriously from those who do nothing in their lives that create any sort of hazards. Otherwise, those who live in glasses houses should be careful what they throw.

Nope sorry the automobile already has that title, and I'd bet you own one. Ever stand on the street corner of a large city like the one most ships depart from?

I'll take all of these woe is me and drama queen posts seriously from those who do nothing in their lives that create any sort of hazards. Otherwise, those who live in glasses houses should be careful what they throw.

A car is a habit?

wow, i just smoked ten cigarettes while reading this thread......sure hope i didn't get you "smokey" through the internet! I'm amazed you aren't complaining about smoking on the land as you pass or those reeking volcanoes in hawaii and italy.

As for those of you worried about "allergic reactions" and "life threatening" situations for your children, perhaps better you all stay home in your insulated bubble....surely none of you live in cities, where the pollution is far more dangerous that a vagrant puff of smoke..

I am usually a very courteous smoker, but look forward to cruising with some of you, so i can blow smoke right at you when you enter the smoking area waving and coughing. Enough is enough.

lolol :)

That's right. Smoking is the #1 cause of preventable death and disease. Seems to me that smokers don't care anything about their own health, so it makes sense they don't care what they inflict onto other people.....including children.

That's right. Smoking is the #1 cause of preventable death and disease. Seems to me that smokers don't care anything about their own health, so it makes sense they don't care what they inflict onto other people.....including children.

Death is preventable? Really?

I am not a smoker (anymore) but I think it is judgmental posts such as this that prevent meaningful discussion from occurring.

Aww, if we could only all be perfect like some.

Sorry folks it's the better than everyone else attitude (shown here) that really makes smokers uncaring and think most of the pro-non-smoking people blow a lot of hot wind.

Archived