This Week's Recap by Princess...

Cruise Junky

It is only a small percentage of the passengers who will lose on the new FCC rules. Those booking an Obstructed View or Ocean view cabin and those booking 10 or 16 day cruises. Every other booking is not affected.

Well yes, but since I can only afford obstr. OV (as a solo) I'd say it's a 100% as far as I'm concerned.

Only two (some say uncomfortable) chairs on Caribe deck balconies where there used to be four.

We just got off the Ruby on Sunday and had 4 chairs on our Caribe balcony. There were two fixed back and two reclining back. They were the same chairs as always.

@Cruise Junky: The table was the same table that we've always had on our Princess balconies and there was a blue mat on the floor. Maybe mats were being replaced at some point?

:confused: I'm not sure what ship everyone is talking about, but the Ruby is in beautiful shape and everything appears to be as it always has been.

There was no signs of noro present and the ship was constantly being cleaned, including handrails and door knobs. There was also a gate set up at the middle section of the buffet so you couldn't sneak in. You had to go past the purell guard to get in. Plates were handed to you with pre-wrapped silverware.

We just got off the Ruby on Sunday and had 4 chairs on our Caribe balcony. There were two fixed back and two reclining back. They were the same chairs as always.

@Cruise Junky: The table was the same table that we've always had on our Princess balconies and there was a blue mat on the floor. Maybe mats were being replaced at some point?

:confused: I'm not sure what ship everyone is talking about, but the Ruby is in beautiful shape and everything appears to be as it always has been.

There was no signs of noro present and the ship was constantly being cleaned, including handrails and door knobs. There was also a gate set up at the middle section of the buffet so you couldn't sneak in. You had to go past the purell guard to get in. Plates were handed to you with pre-wrapped silverware.

The final point about Noro is good to hear, I firmly believe that the wildfire way Noro spreads on ships is due in large part to, shall we call it "questionable hygene practices" by some passengers who walk right by the hand sanitisers in HC and MDR etc.

Steve

Sadly, I think that just means they haven't gotten to Ruby yet.

While it's nice to be optimistic and positive, I think it's a little unfair to minimize others' concerns. Just because it doesn't affect you, doesn't mean it isn't a big deal for someone else.

The final point about Noro is good to hear, I firmly believe that the wildfire way Noro spreads on ships is due in large part to, shall we call it "questionable hygene practices" by some passengers who walk right by the hand sanitisers in HC and MDR etc.

Steve

Unfortunately the hand sanitizers don't prevent the spread of norovirus.

While it's nice to be optimistic and positive, I think it's a little unfair to minimize others' concerns. Just because it doesn't affect you, doesn't mean it isn't a big deal for someone else.

I totally agree.

As the OP, I can say no, I would stay loyal to Princess, they're a good fit for us, but we do seem to be opting for more land trips than cruises. We cancelled Sapphire Wine cruise and booked Hawaii instead and we cancelled Ocean Princess Med. Cruise for our France Land Trip in September, we were looking for a cruise for my DH's 60th next year and ended up with a Condo in Kauai. So some of the gleam has definitely been reduced, but I don't think we'd switch lines. I was looking at Celebrity's Solstice Class for a while but booked Royal Princess instead and can't wait to cruise her.

For me - there have been a lot of changes in the last 6 plus months. So it is not just this week but it also includes such decisions as closing the dining room for lunch on port days, closing of the buffets early, etc....

As far as prices - I am spending a lot more on my cruises this summer than years past. So I am paying a lot more and getting less in return. While we are cruising this summer, this affects my future decisions on cruising.

I will be looking at other lines and I will be taking more land trips (like Cruise Junky). I am not saying I won't cruise Princess in the future - just saying it won't be an automatic decision to only look at Princess.

I thoroughly have enjoyed the extensive cruising I have done the past 14 plus years but I definitely don't like the direction Princess is going.

That's awesome to hear. I have a Caribe aft balcony for the first time and I'd like to host some friends that are coming along for the trip. I'm gonna be a little ticked if have a 12" round table and only two chairs. I'll find a way around (if I have to smuggle deck chairs into my room) regardless but I just counted on nothing changing when I booked this 11 months ago. We leave in about 10 days so I'll make sure I note in my review what the furniture situation was on Ruby.

This week (for me) in Princess:

• Flight changed which actually got me better seats on the plane
  • My CB will have a new propulsion engine
  • I have 64 days left until seeing a beautiful new part of the world
  • I may not have a fancy balcony dinner or a prime spot in the sanctuary, but my savings of booking an Interior will allow me spending money to go on awesome land trips.

Despite all the obstacles thrown around for Princess this year (and I will admit, it's been a wonky year for cruising), I'm still thrilled, humbled, thankful and estatic about sailing with this line again. :o

Archived