Gay cruise ship docks in Dominica; two passengers arrested for buggery

Ken_W

These guys made a bad decision and then made it far worse by lying about it. These guys owe Atlantis and Rich Campbell an apology instead of the other way around (as some have called for).

Still, Atlantis going to a homophobic port? These 2 idiots then decided to do their little sexcapade to thumb their noses at the locals. I know Atlantis warned of the place not being gay friendly, but why even go there in the first place? Atlantis & Campbell share some responsibility in this mess.

Still, Atlantis going to a homophobic port? These 2 idiots then decided to do their little sexcapade to thumb their noses at the locals. I know Atlantis warned of the place not being gay friendly, but why even go there in the first place? Atlantis & Campbell share some responsibility in this mess.

If Campbell attends the Q & A on our next RSVP I would love to ask him.

I have been to Dominica, and my tour Guide knew I was with my partner. He treated me great. I had 0 Complaints when I was there. No matter what. how bad the country is with the way THEY treat their gay citizens they broke the law. No matter how you slice is Sex in Public in a foreign country is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! However, I also don't agree with Atlantis going there. Although, it is up to you to do research to know the laws. I do when I travel. I'm sorry, but all of you out there defending them are only making us seem like Chandelier swinging sex addicts!

Keep that in your room, designated private areas, or sea side! for the love!

All I have to say is wow! My partner and I have also been to Dominica and we were treated with respect. I didn't realize the Atlantis and RSVP ships have so much "undercover" things going on (13th deck, naked parties, sauna action...) just bad judgement. Why can't people go and enjoy themselves without all these details coming forward? SMH in disbelief.

I didn't realize the Atlantis and RSVP ships have so much "undercover" things going on (13th deck, naked parties, sauna action...) just bad judgement. Why can't people go and enjoy themselves without all these details coming forward? SMH in disbelief.

Naked parties? Not sure I have come across such a thing on RSVP.

As for how people enjoy themselves... if it is not imposed on you (that is, you don't go looking for it) and it happens with some discretion (not like the topic of this thread, on the balcony while in port), why do you care?

They have a clothing optional sundeck on RSVP cruises; methinks you'd disapprove of that too. :rolleyes:

It is not like someone is forcing you to go on a gay charter, you know.

I think what some people are trying to say (and I completely agree) is that this event, and many others that just happen to seem to be on gay cruises, has us living up to the stereotypes that many have of gay people. You know - dancing the night away on drugs, screwing away with abandonment whoever/whenever/wherever we feel like it, and generally living a pretty decadent life with no regard for tomorrow.

Drama sells and this little lapse in judgement (to put it mildly) just feeds those who wish to portray us as heathens.

I was on this cruise AND I was at the port at 9:15 at morning because i was doing a diving excursion. I had no idea what was going on. Many of us didn't find out about it until the show that night when Rich Campbell made an announcement.

I did see a lot of protesters at the entrance to the port when I got off but I didn't see the balcony action.

Not making any excuses for the two guys because obviously, they weren't in the right, however, I do believe, from my experience, that Dominica would have found something wrong with the Atlantis cruise in port. They didn't want the gay cruise in port to begin with and were protesting before the ship docked.

Who I go back to Dominica, no. I do not believe a straight couple would have been treated the same way. I still find it hard to believe that you could have seen this couple from the land without a strong lens or binoculars.

Naked parties? Not sure I have come across such a thing on RSVP.

As for how people enjoy themselves... if it is not imposed on you (that is, you don't go looking for it) and it happens with some discretion (not like the topic of this thread, on the balcony while in port), why do you care?

They have a clothing optional sundeck on RSVP cruises; methinks you'd disapprove of that too. :rolleyes:

It is not like someone is forcing you to go on a gay charter, you know.

Not sure?? either you see it or you didn't. true RSVP & Atlantis aren't the only ones with topless areas. Celebrity does on some of their cruises. that being said there is more of the "Circut scene" on gay charters. It's the reason we don't go on them. I still remember the charter ship in Ptown about 10 years back over 4th of July weekend. There were at least 6 ambulances going out to greet them. Hate to say it, but this stuff happens more often on gay charters. You can deny all you want, it happens. I have friends who love it, we don't care for it ourselves. You choose to go on these charters, fine. Do respect those who don't & who disagree with you.

I think what some people are trying to say (and I completely agree) is that this event, and many others that just happen to seem to be on gay cruises, has us living up to the stereotypes that many have of gay people. You know - dancing the night away on drugs, screwing away with abandonment whoever/whenever/wherever we feel like it, and generally living a pretty decadent life with no regard for tomorrow.

Drama sells and this little lapse in judgement (to put it mildly) just feeds those who wish to portray us as heathens.

Totally agree. That being said, those who like the scene..well that's their business. We're either a little older or just were never into the circut scene(both).

I have been to Dominica, and my tour Guide knew I was with my partner. He treated me great. I had 0 Complaints when I was there. No matter what. how bad the country is with the way THEY treat their gay citizens they broke the law. No matter how you slice is Sex in Public in a foreign country is WRONG, WRONG, WRONG! However, I also don't agree with Atlantis going there. Although, it is up to you to do research to know the laws. I do when I travel. I'm sorry, but all of you out there defending them are only making us seem like Chandelier swinging sex addicts!

Keep that in your room, designated private areas, or sea side! for the love!

Unfortunately, I'd probably snap the chandelier off the ceiling(205lb)We were in Dominica last year & did the river tubing trip. It was great. We were never hasseled, but then again we displayed no real PDA'S. Either did the straight folks,either. Still not sure I'd want to venture there. The locals really disliked the Atlantis ship being there. Reading the local blog(dominica newsonline.com)showed the locals just didn't want us there,period. Some did, but their remarks were in the minority.

Not sure?? either you see it or you didn't.

I guess the sarcasm didn't quite come through in my post. :rolleyes:

I guess everything has to be spelled out for you: no, I have never seen a naked party on a RSVP cruise.

true RSVP & Atlantis aren't the only ones with topless areas. Celebrity does on some of their cruises.

Uh, pretty much all of the pool/sun deck areas on an RSVP or Atlantis cruise is topless since it's primarily men. DUH. There is a difference between topless and clothing optional. Double DUH.

Guess what: there are nude cruises! And hey, they aren't even gay charters. Now that's where you will see naked parties.

that being said there is more of the "Circut scene" on gay charters.

More of a"circuit scene" than what? That means gay charters are also more of a gay bar. DUH. RSVP has theme parties - does that qualify as a "circuit party"? They end around 2 AM - circuit parties usually go much longer than that. Now Atlantis parties go till the sun comes out and drugs are used quiet a bit more than on RSVP; Atlantis is generally considered more circuity than RSVP.

I still remember the charter ship in Ptown about 10 years back over 4th of July weekend. There were at least 6 ambulances going out to greet them. Hate to say it, but this stuff happens more often on gay charters.

Not sure I have seen an ambulance at an RSVP charter (yes, that same sarcastic "not sure" I used before). Was it an Atlantis cruise?

You can deny all you want, it happens. I have friends who love it, we don't care for it ourselves.

Well, since I haven't seen what you describe happen on a RSVP cruise I don't have to deny anything. And no. I am sre I am not in denial.

You choose to go on these charters, fine. Do respect those who don't & who disagree with you.

Who have I disrespected? I have challenged you on your knowledge of gay charters, that's all. You have never been on one yet have lots of opinions about it - all second hand form friends or whatever you may have heard or seen.

I can respect people that disagree with me, but less so for those that have loud opinions about something they have never exeperienced.

I couldn't care less whether you ever went on a gay charter or not. But enough of the posts about something you never experienced.

Surely, you've been on D deck after dark, Peter. :eek::eek::eek:

I don't consider that an RSVP party. Have you ever seen it featured in the daily program? :rolleyes:

There are naked people getting some sun on that deck during the day. Is that a party too? :confused:

but then again we displayed no real PDA'S. Either did the straight folks,either.

So you displayed fake PDAs? :confused:

How you can say for sure that none of the straights anywhere on the island displayed any PDAs?

See, two can play this silly game :D

Agree that there has to be some discussion about the ports that are chosen for the charters, but disagree that Rich and Atlantis share any responsibility here. We are only talking about this due to their "performance" and there would have been a similar thread created had they decided to do it on the balcony before departing San Juan.

So you displayed fake PDAs? :confused:

How you can say for sure that none of the straights anywhere on the island displayed any PDAs?

See, two can play this silly game :D

You certainly are a nasty one aren't you?? Always criticising everyone else.I'm sure others did show PDA'S on the island. On our excursion we were all too busy trying to keep from getting flipped on our water tubes. We just didn't see any affection displays from anyone on the excursion, humour yes.

I guess the sarcasm didn't quite come through in my post. :rolleyes:

I guess everything has to be spelled out for you: no, I have never seen a naked party on a RSVP cruise.

Uh, pretty much all of the pool/sun deck areas on an RSVP or Atlantis cruise is topless since it's primarily men. DUH. There is a difference between topless and clothing optional. Double DUH.

Guess what: there are nude cruises! And hey, they aren't even gay charters. Now that's where you will see naked parties.

More of a"circuit scene" than what? That means gay charters are also more of a gay bar. DUH. RSVP has theme parties - does that qualify as a "circuit party"? They end around 2 AM - circuit parties usually go much longer than that. Now Atlantis parties go till the sun comes out and drugs are used quiet a bit more than on RSVP; Atlantis is generally considered more circuity than RSVP.

Not sure I have seen an ambulance at an RSVP charter (yes, that same sarcastic "not sure" I used before). Was it an Atlantis cruise?

Well, since I haven't seen what you describe happen on a RSVP cruise I don't have to deny anything. And no. I am sre I am not in denial.

Who have I disrespected? I have challenged you on your knowledge of gay charters, that's all. You have never been on one yet have lots of opinions about it - all second hand form friends or whatever you may have heard or seen.

I can respect people that disagree with me, but less so for those that have loud opinions about something they have never exeperienced.

I couldn't care less whether you ever went on a gay charter or not. But enough of the posts about something you never experienced.

I don't consider that an RSVP party. Have you ever seen it featured in the daily program? :rolleyes:

There are naked people getting some sun on that deck during the day. Is that a party too? :confused:

Again, we've seen videos of the parties at our friend Paul's movie nights. I don't think he had the ability to "fake" the videos. We didn't see sex acts going on(nowhere did I say that)Sorry, I did mean clothing optional on some Celebrity ships. It was not a Atlantis/RSVP cruise. It was a gay chartered smaller cruie ship(about 500 people)Perhaps if you were LESS sarcastic & made your point I wouldn't have to be so Opinionated, as you say.

I've found that the people who are most opinionated about the gay charters are people that have never been on them. I know I had preconceived ideas before I went on one.

It's easy to try and dispell all the rumors that are floating out there. I also heard it's easier to hook up on a straight cruise being gay than a gay cruise.

Atlantis cruises are not all "Circuit" parties. Yes, they have parties, but no where like the "White party" in Miami or the other circuit events around the country. If any of the cruises come close it would be the Jan cruise (which is now the Feb cruise). We did it once and wouldn't do it again. yes, the crowd was younger, the partying last till the next day and the attitude was high. The March cruise is no where near that.

People that do the Atlantis or RSVP cruises do so because they like it. Yeah, it's more money but I would gladly pay extra to not have children running around and parents who think that we should all endure their screaming child on our vacation. We don't want to have to "come out" again and explain that we are not brothers and yes, we are legally married. We also like being a part of the whole ship and not just our little group.

Atlantis sails 4 maybe 5 weeks a year? The other cruise lines combined sail hundreds of weeks a year? It's no wonder you only hear about the news on the gay charters since they're so rare and under a microscope.

You certainly are a nasty one aren't you?? Always criticising everyone else.

Pot.. Kettle.. Black... ;)

I am not always criticizing everyone, just you right now. Actually just trying to point out how wrong you are in so many ways.

I'm sure others did show PDA'S on the island. On our excursion we were all too busy trying to keep from getting flipped on our water tubes. We just didn't see any affection displays from anyone on the excursion, humour yes.

Ah, so what you see becomes what really happened ; you didn't see any straight PDAs so you claimed that there weren't any. Bow backpedaling. Maybe you should be clearer about what you mean when you post.

Again, we've seen videos of the parties at our friend Paul's movie nights. I don't think he had the ability to "fake" the ideos. We didn't see sex acts going on(nowhere did I say that)

So you saw videos of naked parties on gay charters? Which: Atlantis or RSVP? Could it be that these were private parties your friends attended? Maybe something in someone's suite or wrap around deck? Because I have never heard of or seen a naked party organized by a charter company on a ship. What happens in people's cabins is not what I am talking about.

Sorry, I did mean clothing optional on some Celebrity ships. It was not a Atlantis/RSVP cruise. It was a gay chartered smaller cruise ship(about 500 people)

Celebrity doesn't have a ship that accommodates 500 people - it's either the Xpedition with a capacity of 96 or the next bigger ship is the Century with a capacity of 1778.

Or maybe it was Source Events - the charter smaller ships and those are often clothing optional. They are marketed as clothing optional cruises. Just like there are straight clothing optional/nude cruise.

So I don't know how Celebrity got mixed into this discussion.

Perhaps if you were LESS sarcastic & made your point I wouldn't have to be so Opinionated, as you say.

Funny when I state what I have seen an experienced you come back at me telling me I am in denial or afraid to admit that I participate in the things you think happens on a gay charter.

Since this is turning into a bit of a spat I just want to ensure all parties are aware that I was referring to the mass media jumping onto these types of stories and associating them with a gay cruise and lifestyle which does us all a disservice. I was not suggesting that this was all that occurs on such a cruise nor was I criticizing people who may engage in such activities (out of the public eye of course.)

Now fight fair and no hitting below the belt :D

Pot.. Kettle.. Black... ;)

I am not always criticizing everyone, just you right now. Actually just trying to point out how wrong you are in so many ways.

Ah, so what you see becomes what really happened ; you didn't see any straight PDAs so you claimed that there weren't any. Bow backpedaling. Maybe you should be clearer about what you mean when you post.

So you saw videos of naked parties on gay charters? Which: Atlantis or RSVP? Could it be that these were private parties your friends attended? Maybe something in someone's suite or wrap around deck? Because I have never heard of or seen a naked party organized by a charter company on a ship. What happens in people's cabins is not what I am talking about.

Celebrity doesn't have a ship that accommodates 500 people - it's either the Xpedition with a capacity of 96 or the next bigger ship is the Century with a capacity of 1778.

Or maybe it was Source Events - the charter smaller ships and those are often clothing optional. They are marketed as clothing optional cruises. Just like there are straight clothing optional/nude cruise.

So I don't know how Celebrity got mixed into this discussion.

Funny when I state what I have seen an experienced you come back at me telling me I am in denial or afraid to admit that I participate in the things you think happens on a gay charter.

I didn't see any PDA'S on our excursion, again nowhere did I say they don't take place on the island. I'm sure they do. Just not on that particular trip.

Again, Did I say naked videos?? Where did I say that? Again YOU are trying to second guess me. The videos did show some pretty hammered people.Yes it was RSVP. Could there have been drugs?? Don't know, I don't do any. Was there booze, yes, I could see lots of pax with drinks, like on any cruise. Though I've yet to see any group get that hammered on Cunard. Obvious different style. Again I'm not being critical, so don't try to imply.

Celebrity does offer some clothing optional decks(Mediterranean)

I NEVER said anywhere in my post that it was a Celebrity ship in PTown. It was a chartered ferry that usually services Cape Cod & the Islands. Perhaps I should have stated that, but figured you can read & grasp the basics of the post.

I could care less whether you partake in whatever events you see. Lastly yes, the things I've mentioned do take place & we have friends that fully participate as is their choice, though I'm sure there's some exaggerating(to say the least)to their activities. We all tend to brag a little. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Since this is turning into a bit of a spat I just want to ensure all parties are aware that I was referring to the mass media jumping onto these types of stories and associating them with a gay cruise and lifestyle which does us all a disservice. I was not suggesting that this was all that occurs on such a cruise nor was I criticizing people who may engage in such activities (out of the public eye of course.)

Now fight fair and no hitting below the belt :D

The rightwing press loves this stuff. Otherwise what would they do for real news. It's unfortunate that 2 idiots decided to Flaunt the local laws(possibly)& ended up with a cruise they'll never forget. Still all that being said, perhaps RSVP/Atlantis & mainstream cruiselines should really rethink some of the ports they go to.

I didn't see any PDA'S on our excursion, again nowhere did I say they don't take place on the island. I'm sure they do. Just not on that particular trip.

See, I have hard time understanding what exactly you are trying to say.

You said:

We were in Dominica last year & did the river tubing trip. It was great. We were never hasseled, but then again we displayed no real PDA'S. Either did the straight folks,either.

That left the impression that no PDAs of any kind took place on Dominica.

Again, Did I say naked videos?? Where did I say that? Again YOU are trying to second guess me.

Sorry, I have made a mistake, it wasn't you that mentioned naked parties, it was KevinIntel. I apologize for attributing that to you.

The videos did show some pretty hammered people.Yes it was RSVP. Could there have been drugs?? Don't know, I don't do any. Was there booze, yes, I could see lots of pax with drinks, like on any cruise. Though I've yet to see any group get that hammered on Cunard. Obvious different style. Again I'm not being critical, so don't try to imply.

Yes, gay charters are known to consume a lot of alcohol but I have to say that I have very rarely seen anyone fall down drunk. Overly happy drunks yes, tipsy people too but I doubt it is much different on a regular cruise. And the ones falling off ships due to drinking are straights on the likes of Carnival. ;)

Yes, Cunard is a very different experience from say a Carnival/NCL cruise. Different strokes for different folks. People drink and party on all kinds of cruise ships.

Are there people that do drugs on RSVP? Sure there are but I would say it is not all that prevalent. I have noticed the smell of pot at times but I don;t recall ever seeing anyone snort anything on the dance floor - as I have seen on land based dance floors. I cannot speak about Atlantis other than what I have heard from friends that have done both Atlantis and RSVP.

Celebrity does offer some clothing optional decks(Mediterranean)

I NEVER said anywhere in my post that it was a Celebrity ship in PTown.

It was a chartered ferry that usually services Cape Cod & the Islands. Perhaps I should have stated that, but figured you can read & grasp the basics of the post.

I don't think I said anything about it being a Celebrity ship in P'town but it really isn't that important. And a chartered party boat is VERY different from a gay charter cruise and would be relevant. As for grasping the basics of the post, I find your posts a bit difficult to follow argument-wise at times.

I could care less whether you partake in whatever events you see.

You perhaps mean you couldn't care less ;) Apparently you do care enough to call into question my honesty when I post about what I have seen and what I have experienced.

Lastly yes, the things I've mentioned do take place & we have friends that fully participate as is their choice, though I'm sure there's some exaggerating(to say the least)to their activities. We all tend to brag a little. I hope that clarifies things a bit.

Just as what I have mentioned what I have seen did take place (or not take place!) In my case I have actually been there. :D

Listen, you and I are just not going to get along and I thinks its time to end this bickering.

Once again, I do apologize for attributing the "naked parties" comment to you.

The rightwing press loves this stuff. Otherwise what would they do for real news.

Yes, the right-wing press jumps on such gay stories but in general the press are all over any story when something goes wrong on a cruise ship. Every time it is reported as happening on "a luxury cruise ship". Listening to them I don't think a cruise ship exists that isn't "luxury". :)

When somebody falls (or gets pushed) overboard they go crazy in reporting it, as if there are people falling overboard every day.

See, I have hard time understanding what exactly you are trying to say.

You said:

That left the impression that no PDAs of any kind took place on Dominica.

Sorry, I have made a mistake, it wasn't you that mentioned naked parties, it was KevinIntel. I apologize for attributing that to you.

Yes, gay charters are known to consume a lot of alcohol but I have to say that I have very rarely seen anyone fall down drunk. Overly happy drunks yes, tipsy people too but I doubt it is much different on a regular cruise. And the ones falling off ships due to drinking are straights on the likes of Carnival. ;)

Yes, Cunard is a very different experience from say a Carnival/NCL cruise. Different strokes for different folks. People drink and party on all kinds of cruise ships.

Are there people that do drugs on RSVP? Sure there are but I would say it is not all that prevalent. I have noticed the smell of pot at times but I don;t recall ever seeing anyone snort anything on the dance floor - as I have seen on land based dance floors. I cannot speak about Atlantis other than what I have heard from friends that have done both Atlantis and RSVP.

I don't think I said anything about it being a Celebrity ship in P'town but it really isn't that important. And a chartered party boat is VERY different from a gay charter cruise and would be relevant. As for grasping the basics of the post, I find your posts a bit difficult to follow argument-wise at times.

You perhaps mean you couldn't care less ;) Apparently you do care enough to call into question my honesty when I post about what I have seen and what I have experienced.

Just as what I have mentioned what I have seen did take place (or not take place!) In my case I have actually been there. :D

Listen, you and I are just not going to get along and I thinks its time to end this bickering.

Once again, I do apologize for attributing the "naked parties" comment to you.

I don't know that my posts are that hard to figure out. I still think the bit on the PDA's really doesn't make it appear that no PDA's were evident anywhere on Dominica, just not on our excursion.

True, no one was falling down drunk, but they were still really hammered(but it is vacation, afterall)

The ones falling overboard on Carnival ships..I wondered how many get "pushed".

I smelled pot before on Cunard..a real hoot when we could tell it was coming from below us, the guy had to be at least 75.

Yeah, this bickering is pointless. Waste of each other's time.

I smelled pot before on Cunard..a real hoot when we could tell it was coming from below us, the guy had to be at least 75.

Wasn't me, I am not 75. :D

Yeah, this bickering is pointless. Waste of each other's time.

Cool. :)

Archived