Size of Luggage on Cruise Ship

sunflower47

We are driving to our Port but our luggage is 30" wheeled, next smallest is 21". We have other pieces that are smaller then 21".

Do you think the 30" is too big? We figured it would be enough for the 7 day cruise and we would only need one other bag and a small tote.

Our cruise line allows 2 bags each but I don't think we would need that much, it's only two of us.

There isn't really a size limit. Just give the big case to the porters and it will be whisked away and deposited at your cabin later in the day/evening. Don't pack things you will need, ie medications swimsuit and stuff like that because the cabins aren't ready when you board.

Most ships have a 200 lb per person limit.....I can't think of any reason any human needs 200 lbs of stuff!

It's the airlines that restrict your packing. If you don't have to fly, you may bring a steamer trunk...or 2!!

Most ships have a 200 lb per person limit.....I can't think of any reason any human needs 200 lbs of stuff!

It's the airlines that restrict your packing. If you don't have to fly, you may bring a steamer trunk...or 2!!

I've been on two--soon to be three--cruise lines and have never read anything (and I'm a fine print reader) of the sort.

While I agree that I can't imagine anyone needing more than maybe 50 pounds, I've never read a restriction other than you need to be able to store it all in your cabin.

Airlines do have restrictions, although they vary between about 35 pounds and 70 pounds without extra charge. I have Chairman's status on US Airways and can check 170 pounds and carry on another bag plus a personal item without paying.

I've been on two--soon to be three--cruise lines and have never read anything (and I'm a fine print reader) of the sort.

While I agree that I can't imagine anyone needing more than maybe 50 pounds, I've never read a restriction other than you need to be able to store it all in your cabin.

Airlines do have restrictions, although they vary between about 35 pounds and 70 pounds without extra charge. I have Chairman's status on US Airways and can check 170 pounds and carry on another bag plus a personal item without paying.

Just an FYI, I've read in the Crystal board that for people there doing the World Cruise, excess luggages can be stored in other area of the ship.

Check this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31707812&postcount=38

Just an FYI, I've read in the Crystal board that for people there doing the World Cruise, excess luggages can be stored in other area of the ship.

Check this post: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=31707812&postcount=38

Even on a world cruise I just can't imagine needing so much luggage that I'd have to store it elsewhere.

Even on a world cruise I just can't imagine needing so much luggage that I'd have to store it elsewhere.

I know, but if one day I can afford it and be able to do it, I will still be ok but I'm sure my DW will have a lot luggages. :p

Just a tip with larger suitcases (my DW has one) which will not slide under the bed: either open it up with both sides laying on the floor, OR if it can not do that, just lift up the bed and slide it under. On our last cruise, when we asked our cabin steward to stow the suitcase, he just lifted up the bed and slid it under! Worked fine. Had never thought about that in many prior cruises. :o

We travel a lot with P&O, and they recommend no more than 2 pieces of 32kg per person....I struggle to fill one with the 25kg recommended on flights!

There will also be hand luggage, and dress suits in carrying bags, which are better taken on board yourself.

Jo.

PS- I've discovered that 32kg= about 70 1/2 pounds.

How much luggage may I bring on board? Each guest has a luggage allowance of 90 kg per however please be advised that airlines may charge for excess or oversized luggage. http://www.royalcaribbean.co.uk/frequently-asked-questions/planning-and-preparation/cruise-documents-and-luggage/

Guests are encouraged to limit their checked luggage to two suitcases per person, with each suitcase not to weigh more than 50 pounds and not exceed 16"H x 24"W (no length restrictions).

http://www.carnival.com/core/faq.aspx?faq=luggagerestrictions

How many suitcases can I bring?

Each person is allowed up to two pieces of personal luggage on board, with each piece weighing a maximum of 50 pounds. However, if passengers are traveling by air, they need to check with the airline for specific restrictions.

http://www2.ncl.com/faq#n19247

• 2 weeks later...

I'm doing a 7 day Hawaii cruise in the fall (my first cruise). I was going to challenge my self to pack everything in one bag (a carry-on).

Reading this thread, I'm wondering if that will even be possible :eek:

I'm a light packer myself and only like to take what I can personally tote myself but one carry-on sounds too small, especially for your first cruise. I would take a medium size suitcase also. After your cruise, you'll know more for your next one. I do admire you for your "one carry-on challenge" though.

I'm a light packer myself and only like to take what I can personally tote myself but one carry-on sounds too small, especially for your first cruise. I would take a medium size suitcase also. After your cruise, you'll know more for your next one. I do admire you for your "one carry-on challenge" though.

I saw a review for one of the eBags com. This lady packed for a 10 trip to Africa in the this bag. So I'm ordering me one. It's a "carry-on" size but it's acatually a rather large bag with lots of compartments to keep you organized.

I think in addition to it, I may do a smaller bag to have my paperwork, camera, etc. for when we board the ship.

We are driving to our Port but our luggage is 30" wheeled, next smallest is 21". We have other pieces that are smaller then 21".

Do you think the 30" is too big? We figured it would be enough for the 7 day cruise and we would only need one other bag and a small tote.

Our cruise line allows 2 bags each but I don't think we would need that much, it's only two of us.

I have a 29" piece I have taken on Princess, Carnival and Royal Caribbean. It doesn't always fit easily under the bed. I also have a 31" I've taken on Carnival.

After a number of cruises, some with flights, others drive to the port we tried to lighten the load on our last 2 Med 12 day cruises. These were both preceeded by a week in a European city. We were able to pack in a small 21 inch suitcase and a carry-on each. Of course, there was a computer bag and we each had a jacket that had many pockets. I use Chico's clothing for formal and dinnerwear and we rent cruiseline formalwear for DH. He also took a pair of flipflops, and wore his casual shoes for everything else. We used zipoff nylon hiking pants and dritech golf shirts which we could wash in the shower and hang to dry overnight. This worked extremely well and we will continue to pack this way. It is so freeing and no worries about overweight luggage fees.

Ciao,

Nikki

Archived