Sex on the beach

Merrilymeggily

Nah, just kidding. This is a question about food on the beach! Sorry... had to get your attention. We're sailing to Bermuda on Zenith in three weeks and were wondering if it's OK to bring food from the ship to the beach. Someone had mentioned that maybe it's not OK to take food into a foreigm country. Anyone have any thoughts?

Hi,

Well your subject line truly did catch my attention. ;) To answer your question, I have just returned, on the 22nd, from a Caribbean cruise. The newsletter that Celebrity puts out daily spells out quite clearly that you are not allowed to take food off the ship or bring food on the ship.

I actually am upset about this!!! I know I read a thread somewhere that said it IS okay to take food off the ship and to the beach. They offered tips on what type of food to take and how to pack it.

When I booked my cruise to Bermuda I did it with the knowledge that at least I wouldn't have to buy food IN Bermuda because I know it's expensive. In fact, I just purchased a folding cooler on wheels just so we'd have it to put food into for the beach.

Please someone tell me this is not true and that we can take food off the ship to the beach. I really thought I did my homework on this one!

Thanks.

It all depends on the area. I don't know the specific rules for Bermuda, but in the South Pacific we were absolutely not allowed to bring food off the ship. Princess was checking bags as people disembarked. I would have assumed that most of the world follows that rule as 1) they don't want foreign parasites brought in and 2) they would certainly prefer you buy food from their vendors.

I always understood that no food was to be brought on or off the ship on the cruises I have been on. Whenever we have done an excursion with Celebrity that crosses a main meal, we have been supplied with a local boxed lunch. I know what I'd prefer, but have always gone by what I was told.

Phil

When we did Bermuda (a few years ago) they checked our bags as we left the ship. Any and all bags had to be opened and inspected before we could pass thru to town. Who knows, it might have changed.

No one checks your "stuff" when you leave the ship. They only check when you get back on. So who is to know if you take food off the ship!

Just because you may be able to get away with it, doesn't make it right. Canadians entering the US cannot even take a tin of dog or cat food across the border as the US considers it dangerous (we may bring mad cow disease into your country). So why would you think it is OK to sneak food from the USA (where the ship's food is loaded) into Bermuda or any other country?

I eat a hearty breakfast before going ashore. If I do get hungry, I'm eager to try some of the local cuisine.

The only food I have taken ashore has been sealed. And, yes, they do spot check bags. I have seen food taken from people several times. I'm diabetic soo I make sure I have some emergency candy/bars with me. No one has taken these from me yet.

I agree the main reason is things can and do get transported onto the ship and back to the US or whereever you are going. Think of small pox, it was unknown to the native Americans until the Europeans brought it with them.

Why do you need food to have sex on the beach?

It's for afterwards, silly!

No, seriously, thank you, folks. We won't be smuggling food off the ship into Bermuda. I hear the restaurants in Bermuda are very expensive, but I'm sure we'll do just fine. Thanks again.

Archived