Waitlist Questions

truckmaker

Good day everyone.

We are on the waitlist for the February 27, 2013 cruise from Santiago to San Francisco on the Grand. When we tried to book this 2 to 3 weeks ago we were 30 & 31 on the waitlist. I note that the cruise shows waitlisted as opposed to sold out for the category that we are interested in. Today my question is actually two:

1. Is there anywhere on the Princess site that I can view the waitlist to see whether we are inching towards the top? I realize that at this early date that is unlikely since we are well in advance of final payment date.

2. We have waitlisted for AB so will that open up AA and above as well? My assumption is that it will open AB and those who have booked previously will take precedence for AA and better should those categories become available.

I don't think there is a place to check your position on the waitlist. You need to call your TA or Princess.

Hope you get on. We book the three legs, from FLL to SF the first of June just before they were sold out. Lots of people on the waitlist, so I am guessing that you are number 30 for the AB cabin.

2. We have waitlisted for AB so will that open up AA and above as well? My assumption is that it will open AB and those who have booked previously will take precedence for AA and better should those categories become available.

No, you need to waitlist for all categories that you would accept. If you would take an AA, then add yourself to the waitlist for that category and any others you would accept.

As Paul said, this is a VERY popular voyage, with many people wanting all three segments from FLL to SFO. You will have a much better chance if you waitlist for more than one category and room type. (For some categories, Princess stopped taking waitlist names months ago..the list was that long)

Our Santiago to SF cruise on the Star was essentially sold out over a year in advance. During that time, people canceled and others booked so it's not set in stone and you will likely get a cabin if you waitlist several categories.

Many TAs hold blocks of cabins for their customers to book so these show as unavailable on the Princess site. You might consider checking with several TAs to see if they have cabins available in the categories you're willing to book.

...As Paul said, this is a VERY popular voyage, with many people wanting all three segments from FLL to SFO. You will have a much better chance if you waitlist for more than one category and room type. (For some categories, Princess stopped taking waitlist names months ago..the list was that long)

One would think that when a cruise company hits the jackpot so to speak with wait lists a mile long (which we understand this cruise does have) that they would be preparing for a second sailing or repeat voyage(s) the following year. Rather than allow those on the list to languish without hope until final payment date or prevent additions to the wait list, why not prepare an alternate offer to those who but stand and wait.

The Grand Princess is too big for the existing Panama Canal so when Princess decided to move the ship to the West coast this was one of the only options available to them - thus it is a one off type of cruise - with many people including me reluctant to fly this is a rare opportunity to start and finish in the US.

FWIW - Carnival has a three part 48 day South American cruise starting in LA and ending up in NYC in FEB 2013 with many of the same ports that this Princess cruise is visiting and is not sold out.

Also with the scheduled opening of the new Panama Canal lock in Aug 2014 the cruise lines will be able to avoid the Cape altogether.

Cheers

Dennis

...FWIW - Carnival has a three part 48 day South American cruise starting in LA and ending up in NYC in FEB 2013 with many of the same ports that this Princess cruise is visiting and is not sold out...Cheers Dennis

Thank you so much for this information. One would thing that it would be in Carnival Corp's interest to advise those of us on the subject waiting list of such an alternate sailing Thanks goodness for CC

The Grand Princess is too big for the existing Panama Canal so when Princess decided to move the ship to the West coast this was one of the only options available to them - thus it is a one off type of cruise - with many people including me reluctant to fly this is a rare opportunity to start and finish in the US.

Also with the scheduled opening of the new Panama Canal lock in Aug 2014 the cruise lines will be able to avoid the Cape altogether.

Cheers

Dennis

RATS, I was hoping that they would do it again in 2014.

"One would thing that it would be in Carnival Corp's interest to advise those of us on the subject waiting list of such an alternate sailing Thanks goodness for CC

It was here on CC that I found out about the Carnival one week after finally getting on the Grand Princess and i seriously thought about booking it but decided to stay with Princess who I have cruised with before and with both an overnight in Rio and the Falklands being the deciding factor.

Why Carnival doesn't could be for legal reasons - being the dominant player in the market they may have anti-trust worries if they don't appear to be operating each of there divisions at an arm's length from each other.

There is an active roll call for the Carnival cruise which is on the Splendor - they are moving it from LA to NYC and another smaller ship to LA - that cruise was only added earlier this year when Carnival had a big ship sailing without full loads and a smaller ship sailing mostly fill.

i think there will always be some cruises to Rio from the East coast and some to Santiago from the West coast but the trip around the Horn isn't an easy one and would burn a lot of fuel so the new Canal will likely be the benefactor of these bigger ships.

Cheers

Dennis

Archived