And so it begins Mariner April 2 Barcelona to Istanbul

nana541

As we all dream about joining Mariner again in the future...I watched Mariner sail out of Istanbul Harbor just a bit ago...with great sadness, as we are no longer aboard. We watched the sail away with a glass of Turkish wine from the roof top terrace of our hotel...the Hagia Sophia is huge in my window and our day in Istanbul has been full of wonderful sites!

Great food, a long sail on the Bosph (sorry can't spell it) Straight and Golden Horn all for 5 Euros! Rode the public tram, a turkish man offered me a seat next to his wife. Now exhausted, we are planning for tomorrow in this beautiful city.

Safe travels to all (and to all a good nite!)

Nana aka Kathleen :)

The disembarkation was done the proper regent way, room service caffe latte, then out of the suite by 8 heading to la veranda for the final meal, lovely poached eggs and still the same good service.

No announcements in the suites until 8 when the unloading started. Numbers and colors were called and we were off by 8:45.

I took great care in filling out the survey, good and a very few not so good. I mentioned as many names as I could think of, but must have left some out, unfortunately.

We took a taxi to the hotel, and since it was located close to the cruise terminal, the driver was not too eager to take us, and we paid way more than we should, but we knew that and did not want to drag our own stuff along the sidewalks.

We had a lovely day in Istanbul, beautiful sunny skies. We ordered the museum pass to be delivered to the hotel, and it came! The pass, costing 72 lire, lets you cut the lines, and go right to the front. Because of this, we managed to see Hagai Sophia, topkapi palace, blue mosque, underground cistern and squeezed in the Islamic and Turkish art museum as well. Tram rides both into the sultanahmet and back in rush hour, which was a very cultural experience, jostling with locals coming home from work.

Met up with relatives and had a wonderful dinner with meza and kebabs.

All around a great experience. The highlight for me today was hagai Sophia. I have never seen anything like it. Completely impressive!

The disembarkation was done the proper regent way, room service caffe latte, then out of the suite by 8 heading to la veranda for the final meal, lovely poached eggs and still the same good service.

No announcements in the suites until 8 when the unloading started. Numbers and colors were called and we were off by 8:45.

I took great care in filling out the survey, good and a very few not so good. I mentioned as many names as I could think of, but must have left some out, unfortunately.

We took a taxi to the hotel, and since it was located close to the cruise terminal, the driver was not too eager to take us, and we paid way more than we should, but we knew that and did not want to drag our own stuff along the sidewalks.

We had a lovely day in Istanbul, beautiful sunny skies. We ordered the museum pass to be delivered to the hotel, and it came! The pass, costing 72 lire, lets you cut the lines, and go right to the front. Because of this, we managed to see Hagai Sophia, topkapi palace, blue mosque, underground cistern and squeezed in the Islamic and Turkish art museum as well. Tram rides both into the sultanahmet and back in rush hour, which was a very cultural experience, jostling with locals coming home from work.

Met up with relatives and had a wonderful dinner with meza and kebabs.

All around a great experience. The highlight for me today was hagai Sophia. I have never seen anything like it. Completely impressive!

Glad to read that everyting went so well. I had to laugh because I tend to speed read everything. When it came to your sentence about the museum pass being delivered, I thought it was by camel (it was the word "came" with the explanation mark:-)

Did you have dinner at a restaurant? If so, would love to know the name. Thanks and safe travels.

Here we are at JFK waiting for our next flight and longing for the Mariner. It was a lovely holiday made even better by the great service and food onboard. Like Rich and Ginny, we departed very, very early in the morning. The only good thing about leaving a cruise is planning our next one. Made some wonderful new friends on this trip and we look forward to seeing many of you again soon.

Glad to read that everyting went so well. I had to laugh because I tend to speed read everything. When it came to your sentence about the museum pass being delivered, I thought it was by camel (it was the word "came" with the explanation mark:-)

Did you have dinner at a restaurant? If so, would love to know the name. Thanks and safe travels.

Travelcat, the restaurant was Kösebasi. Both s-es should have dots under them. It was very delicious food. Service was fast, but that might be the polite thing here, I got a little stressed, but from now on, we will just eat slower. This is the second restaurant with meza where they have done that, so 2 out of 2, it's probably the polite thing to do, to keep the food coming.

Today it's the markets, the grand bazaar and spice market. Now that we have left the ship, I don't know if this is applicable for cruise critic any more.

We are staying at the regent hotel, so maybe that qualifies :)

If anyone has any questions about the hotel, I can try to answer. We made our own arrangements, we did not have regent book it, it just so happens to be the same one that regent uses. We have run into cruise people here.

Off to explore Istanbul for the third day, lucky us.

We are home and finally caught up on some MUCH needed sleep. Our trip was truly amazing and I hope I can relay it in more detail when I have more time to dedicate.... And less laundry to catch up on.

I wanted to thank everyone on board for their kindness toward myself and my daughter. The opportunity to share with her this part of the world on her 16th birthday will forever be embedded in my mind as a true highlight.

I wanted to address the issue cc posters have brought up about the 40 kids on this voyage, and thank those of you who did not treat us as pariahs. Although this was not advertised as having kids activities available, Regent hired a crew of wonderful individuals to entertain the children onboard. The children were offered many great activities and I dare anyone onboard to say the children were a nuisance. There were children from all over the world and my daughter was only one of 5 American kids. I am not sure of the specific numbers but I believe she was one of about a dozen teens.

As I stated above... Sharing this experience with her goes right up there with bringing her into this world! I dare all of you with teen children, grand children, nieces and nephews or "adopted teen" loved ones to share a piece of the world with them. It will enrich YOUR life as much as it will enrich theirs! For those of you who feel that the teens in our world don't have the manners to travel first class... Well, teach them through experience instead of running from them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to those of you who helped my daughter see how civilized the world really is!

Sincerely, Charlene

I personally can attest to the fact that the kids on board behaved like the rest of us. They were a pleasure to have around. We played trivia with two teen aged boys and they were a delight.

I met Charlene and Aubrey on the bike tour in Lucca, and Aubrey was a nice young lady.

There were no kids running up and down and playing with the elevators, jumping in the pool and other annoying things. Some of the kids dressed even in a sport coat and came to the lounge before dinner and behaved like ladies and gentlemen.

I was a little concerned about that number of kids, but they were absolutely no more trouble, if I am stating it correctly, than any other guest, probably the opposite. If those teens and children are the future of our world, we are in great shape.

I personally can attest to the fact that the kids on board behaved like the rest of us. They were a pleasure to have around. We played trivia with two teen aged boys and they were a delight.

I met Charlene and Aubrey on the bike tour in Lucca, and Aubrey was a nice young lady.

There were no kids running up and down and playing with the elevators, jumping in the pool and other annoying things. Some of the kids dressed even in a sport coat and came to the lounge before dinner and behaved like ladies and gentlemen.

I was a little concerned about that number of kids, but they were absolutely no more trouble, if I am stating it correctly, than any other guest, probably the opposite. If those teens and children are the future of our world, we are in great shape.

Thank you "gardendog", it was such a pleasure meeting you. I hope we can share a ride again soon... your call, either bike or boat!

I wanted to thank everyone on board for their kindness toward myself and my daughter. The opportunity to share with her this part of the world on her 16th birthday will forever be embedded in my mind as a true highlight.

I wanted to address the issue cc posters have brought up about the 40 kids on this voyage, and thank those of you who did not treat us as pariahs. Although this was not advertised as having kids activities available, Regent hired a crew of wonderful individuals to entertain the children onboard. The children were offered many great activities and I dare anyone onboard to say the children were a nuisance. There were children from all over the world and my daughter was only one of 5 American kids. I am not sure of the specific numbers but I believe she was one of about a dozen teens.

As I stated above... Sharing this experience with her goes right up there with bringing her into this world! I dare all of you with teen children, grand children, nieces and nephews or "adopted teen" loved ones to share a piece of the world with them. It will enrich YOUR life as much as it will enrich theirs! For those of you who feel that the teens in our world don't have the manners to travel first class... Well, teach them through experience instead of running from them.

Thank you, thank you, thank you to those of you who helped my daughter see how civilized the world really is!

Sincerely, Charlene

Two excellent posts and good to read.

It took us exactly 24 hours and 45 minutes to make it from the ship to Santa Fe. The trip comprised three flights totaling close to 16 hours, and featured Rich and Ginny's version of The Amazing Race in Houston--a mad dash through Customs and three security checks at Bush Intercontinental to make our very tough final connection. We were thrilled to finally return home from a Regent cruise as scheduled. In 2010 we were delayed six days by the infamous "ash cloud" that blanketed parts of Europe, while last year a control tower issue in Frankfort thwarted our same-day return. We celebrated our timely return this time by getting our "chile fix" at a favorite cafe (a crucially important rite for New Mexicans who have been away from the Land of Enchantment for more than a few days) before heading to our home just outside the city.

Reviewing this thread just now, I have even more admiration for those CCers, especially those on longer cruises, who make the time to file newsy reports nearly every day. I don't know how you do it! On this port intensive cruise it was all I could do to manage the occasional short post. Better than remaining a lurker, however. I, too, enjoyed my fellow travelers' posts, and the comments they inspired.

We're so glad we decided we took Regent up on its offer to extend our time aboard the Mariner beyond the TA. We relished every one of our eight at-sea days during the TA, but by the eighth day we were rested and ready to tour! Overall, we were delighted with the quality of our shore excursions, and can heartily recommend the Amalfi Drive (Sorrento), Hidden Sicily--In the Footsteps of the Godfather (Taormina), and, especially, Discover Ephesus With an Expert, perhaps the best Regent tour we've been on yet.

Meanwhile we relished our time aboard our "home away from home," as Captain Felice repeatedly referred to the Mariner. I'm already missing favorite staff such as the impish Huseyin and darling Darle from the La Veranda wait team, and wish I could continue to follow the development of the new song and dance troupe. I had a chance to speak with Prudence, one of several Jean Ann Ryan staffers, and a dancer herself, who joined the cruise along with the performers in Barcelona to help the troupe further hone elements of their shows. From our conversation I came to further appreciate how much time and effort go into their productions.

Were there disappointments? Yes, a minor one here and there, such as a too-salty and overcooked Dover sole at Prime 7, or an occasional serving snafu such as a waiter having to be reminded to serve the vegetables. But then I recall the many superb meals I enjoyed and the staff smiles and greetings we encountered every hour of every day and am able to make a quick peace with these lapses. In truth, we have become devotees of the "Regent experience" in all of its all-inclusive glory.

I wanted to make a mention of one more Regent plus, something you won't necessarily find in a Regent brochure, but something that has really resonated with Ginny and me: the friendliness of our fellow Regent cruisers. Oh I'm sure there is a Regent crank here and there, but it might take a little work to find them. From our first minutes on board we were conversing with one friendly, interesting couple after another. One of my favorite memories, in fact, is of passing the time with new friends over a sun-drenched lunch on the pool deck while listening to the wonderful Nature Rhythm Trio perform favorite oldies. A little piece of heaven.

We're happy to know Nature Rhythm will be returning from their upcoming break in time to honor another spate of musical requests from Ginny and me on our next Regent cruise, Miami-Lima, in January, 2013. We are already looking forward to that cruise aboard the Mariner and have made our first resolution in anticipation of it: Once and for all, we will pack lighter!

In 2010 we were delayed six days by the infamous "ash cloud" that blanketed parts of Europe,

Thanks for your posts, Mr Rumor. I enjoyed them.

Did we meet on Mariner in 2010 terminating in Venice under the ash cloud? Having booked Regent Air, we were accommodated in Padua until flights resumed. I don't recall you being there, but maybe you were.

Tom, Ginny and I were, in fact, among the 100 or so passengers who Regent decided to take responsibility for at the end of the 2010 "ash cloud" cruise because we had booked our air through the company. I recall our being split into two groups. We were in the group that was put up at the NH Mantegna in Padua for four nights, then moved to the Hotel Delfino in Mestre for two nights. Are those the hotels you stayed in? This cruise was so port intensive (including two ports in one day--a first for us!) that it wasn't until Padua that we got to spend quality time with our fellow cruisers. However, I don't believe we met.

Rich

I wanted to make a mention of one more Regent plus, something you won't necessarily find in a Regent brochure, but something that has really resonated with Ginny and me: the friendliness of our fellow Regent cruisers. Oh I'm sure there is a Regent crank here and there, but it might take a little work to find them. From our first minutes on board we were conversing with one friendly, interesting couple after another. One of my favorite memories, in fact, is of passing the time with new friends over a sun-drenched lunch on the pool deck while listening to the wonderful Nature Rhythm Trio perform favorite oldies. A little piece of heaven.

We're happy to know Nature Rhythm will be returning from their upcoming break in time to honor another spate of musical requests from Ginny and me on our next Regent cruise, Miami-Lima, in January, 2013. We are already looking forward to that cruise aboard the Mariner and have made our first resolution in anticipation of it: Once and for all, we will pack lighter!

We enjoyed your posts very much and look forward to your next cruise in January, 2013. We have done that itinerary on the Mariner and loved it. For some reason, the itineraries we have chosen recently have put us on the Voyager (we love both ships) but are now missing the Mariner (specially Franck Galzy).

Had to laugh about your resolution to pack lighter. I'm in the midst of packing for our upcoming Voyager cruise and keep finding excuses to add more things. Sometimes it seems that I will never learn:confused:

Another highlight of my day: the scrumptious Miso Glazed (super fresh) Sea Bass Fillet With Sticky Rice and Scallions I devoured at Compass Rose. I rank it as the single best fiesh entree I've had aboard a Regent cruise.

Just had this on the Voyager and I sooooo agree. It was delicious..probably best fish dish I have ever had..( a local restuarant has a version of this that I used to think was really good.Voyagers was better..and the presentation in the bananna leaf..)I also love their Dover sole.

Thanks for the updates...

Archived