Carnival ship Held in port, after lawsuit from family who lost member on Concordia

CruiseAdict218

So I have been thinking about this since this whole thing started. Is there anything from stopping another lawyer or even the same lawyer from doing the same thing on behalf of other victims of the Concordia accident?

So I have been thinking about this since this whole thing started. Is there anything from stopping another lawyer or even the same lawyer from doing the same thing on behalf of other victims of the Concordia accident?

In theory..they could do it for every passinger ......one ship at a time......

but you have to remember,Carnivail is not really putting any cash up...........these are all paper, either a letter comfirming there is funds available to pay for any cash a trial may award...or only a bond......which the P and I buys form another insurance company, with a relatively small amount of money up front.

AKK

So does that spell the end of cruises from Texas i wonder!

This is federal court.....not state court....so it can happen whether its Texas or any state.

I would guess that if is happens again, Carnivail would settle it before the vessel is arrested.......I don't know if is possble for Carnivail to get a Federal judge to put a hold on any future arrests.

After all this is just showboating........plantives getting Carnivail and the publics eye.

One thing I do like about the British legal system is if you suit someone or a corporation and lose.....you pay court costs......it would keep these type of showboating under control.

AKK

One thing I do like about the British legal system is if you suit someone or a corporation and lose.....you pay court costs......it would keep these type of showboating under control.

AKK

This would probably be the best part of any tort reform we could ever pass here . . . it would virtually eliminate "nuisance" suits.

This is federal court.....not state court....so it can happen whether its Texas or any state.

I would guess that if is happens again' date=' Carnivail would settle it before the vessel is arrested.......I don't know if is possble for Carnivail to get a Federal judge to put a hold on any future arrests.

After all this is just showboating........plantives getting Carnivail and the publics eye.

AKK[/quote']These are one of a number of No win No fee solicitors in the UK. The no fee includes all costs if you loose. http://www.claimsdirect.co.uk/what-are-you-claiming-for?c=4&gclid=CNeazrfNmq8CFQkRfAodXXTtaQ&siclientid=4303&sessguid=75885032-8c1b-4a23-9c8e-516b0a31d36e&userguid=75885032-8c1b-4a23-9c8e-516b0a31d36e&permguid=75885032-8c1b-4a23-9c8e-516b0a31d36e&sissr=1

Tonka ... I do not see how Carnival would be able to stop a ship being arrested before it has been! they would not know an enforcement order was about to happen until it did.

As you say America needs to adopt the UK system to stop nonsense claims.

Tonka ... I do not see how Carnival would be able to stop a ship being arrested before it has been! they would not know an enforcement order was about to happen until it did.

As you say America needs to adopt the UK system to stop nonsense claims.

The plantives have to advise the defendents, in this case. Carnivial that they have filed suit and want 10m amount of secuirity........they have to give Carnivial notice and agree to set up the secruity before they can arrest the vessel. If Carnivial said no,as in this case...they go to court......The judge makes sure all the *T,s* are crossed and the *I's* are dotted and then signs the arrest papers.

I once was discharging a load of Bananas, when a Marshall and atty showed up with a warrent for the Bunkers onboard the vessel (The warrent was againist the vessels charaters and the only property the charters had on the vessel was the fuel oil.) The atty wanted the bvessel cooling of the cargo hold shut down to prevent more fuel being used up.

In this case we said no way becuase it would cause damage to the cargo which was a 3rd paries property. The Marshall agreed to let the atty's go back to court and work it all out!

My point is that athough this is a common tool in International Maritime law to arrest a ship,its not so cut and dry or as easy as our discussion here have implyed.

AKK

A New Suit for Carnival

Apr 4 - A passenger who was aboard Carnival Sensation last April has filed suit against Carnival Corp over an incident that occurred during a stop in the Bahamas that ultimately led to her being put ashore. It would normally be too early to write about this since no evidence has been presented, just a so far unsubstantiated complaint by the plaintiff, and an uncharacteristically strong denial by Carnival. The complaint is so bizarre (meaning far from anything heard before) that it's sure to garner some media attention.

Anyone have any other info on this ?

A New Suit for Carnival

Apr 4 - A passenger who was aboard Carnival Sensation last April has filed suit against Carnival Corp over an incident that occurred during a stop in the Bahamas that ultimately led to her being put ashore. It would normally be too early to write about this since no evidence has been presented, just a so far unsubstantiated complaint by the plaintiff, and an uncharacteristically strong denial by Carnival. The complaint is so bizarre (meaning far from anything heard before) that it's sure to garner some media attention.

Anyone have any other info on this ?

SIDARI:

Please post a Link to this story. Thank U.

I doubt there is never a cruise of any ship.that doesn't have at least 1 lawsuit or a claim filed for alleged injury or damage of some type. It is very routine and usaull is dismissed or settles for *chup change*....like less then 10,000.

My guess is this siut just happened to make it into the media and you will never hear anymore about it.

There is a NYC sigthseeing line that cruises the harbor, it has been around for at least 60 or 70 years and runs 4 or 5, 200 + passinger boats, many trips each day, year around.

Thier underwritiers/P and I, has 1 adjustor whose only job is to handle the *daily* claims that come in. It is so tiring/stressful a job that the adjustor is changed every year.

This line fights the claims big time becuase so many of them are setups, or self caused, etc. In very few of them is there any line fault!

AKK

"Thier underwritiers/P and I, has 1 adjustor whose only job is to handle the *daily* claims that come in. It is so tiring/stressful a job that the adjustor is changed every year.

This line fights the claims big time becuase so many of them are setups, or self caused, etc. In very few of them is there any line fault!"

Tonka ... Even more reason to have a system like the UK where you have to pay the costs if you lose the case!

Nitemare ... does that go for all the other Non related Costa posts on here then ?

Since this thread was about a Carnival ship being seized due to a Costa incident, I don't think anyone would question that discussion being here.

Since the new question is strictly about a Carnival issue, and you're looking for information about it, that's why I suggested the Carnival board here would be the best place to get info.

• 3 weeks later...

Ya, try to get the QE-2, the queen will get very irate.

Archived