Allure and Oasis Differences

Hi everyone,

I am thinking of going on either the Oasis or Allure next year and I have heard that there are a "few differences" between these 2 amazing ships.

I was wondering if someone could let me know??

Thanks!

Gail

Comet Cruiser

Some of the shows are different: Chicago on Allure, Hairspray on Oasis, they have made the electric outlets in staterooms more accessible on Allure and have added IPod docking stations. Some of the restaurants found on Oasis have been replaced with new dining venues on Allure (Seafood restaurant on Oasis is now a Rita's Cantina on Allure, the Bistro in the Solarium on Oasis is now the Samba Grill, and a Hot Dog venue has been placed on the Boardwalk. I suspect that there have been a few other changes that others will ad but the ships both offer a similarly amazing cruise experience.:)

Oasis leaves on Saturday and Allure leaves on Sunday. This may make a difference regarding your vacation time (for example, we like to fly down to FLL a day in advance, however my husband likes to have another day off before going back to work - we can't usually manage both, so it depends on which days his company will allow him to take off).

As well, there can be a difference in airfare. Last year, we took Allure because the airfare was significantly less expensive for us. This year, we had Oasis booked, but the airfare was so high that we saved over $2000 (for 4 people) by switching to a less expensive cruise that leaves from our homeport and is 2 days longer.

So, if you need to fly, price out airfare for both options, plus the cost of a hotel if you fly down the night before (might be a difference in price Friday night versus Saturday night).

I assume by now the Oasis has the kinks worked out of the Rising Tide bar? I remember it was broken quite a bit in its early days. I remember in our Meet and Mingle, the Activities Director said, "The main difference between Oasis and Allure is that our Rising Tide bar actually works". ;)

Isn't the Allure also a few (thousand?) tons heavier than Oasis? I read that somewhere.

GRT is a measure of volume, not weight, so even if (and I haven't seen figures that confirm or deny that Allure has a slightly higher GRT), that doesn't translate into it "weighing" more. Simply means that the amount of enclosed public space measures a bit more.:)

From what I have found, the Allure and Oasis both have the same GRT (Gross Registered Tonnage). Gross registered tonnage is basically the internal volume of the ship, per 100 cu ft, with each 100 cu ft, if filled with water, weighing 2.8 registered tons. GRT, in most maritime uses, is no longer used for the most part - more common is the GT (gross tonnage), which numerically, is smaller than the GRT. Cruise lines are advertising their ships by GRT, because the numbers are more impressive looking.

To find out the actual weight of the ship, you would either need to know it's displacement, or you can come close if you know the deadweight tonnage and lightweight tonnage.

At any rate, the GRT advertised for any of the cruise ships on the market is nothing more than a mathematical calculation based on enclosed volume, and really has no correlation to the ship's actual weight. If I remember from the TV special, it was either the Freedom-class or Oasis-class ships used about 30,000 tons of steel for hull construction, plus weight for machinery, cabins, furnishings, fuel, crew, passengers, etc. Bottom line is that a ship listed as 225,000 GRT doesn't really weigh 450,000,000 pounds. What it DOES mean, is that if you were to fill the ship full of water, the weight of that water would be roughly 450,000,000 pounds, but would not include the actual weight of the ship. Confusing for sure.

I thought that it wasn't the size of the ship, but the motion of the ocean.:cool:

It's all what you can do with it :p...which of course is supported by the success of the "smaller" Freedom class ships.

I prefer the Allure but only slightly due to a few tweaks that were made over her sister. Entertainment on both is outstanding. The one positive for the Oasis is the Saturday departure. It's nice to have the Sunday to rest up before going back to work. You can't go wrong with either ship. They are both excellent ships.

I prefer the Allure but only slightly due to a few tweaks that were made over her sister. Entertainment on both is outstanding. The one positive for the Oasis is the Saturday departure. It's nice to have the Sunday to rest up before going back to work. You can't go wrong with either ship. They are both excellent ships.

I haven't been able to find what things were changed from Oasis to Allure. What is different or improved on Allure vs. Oasis? We may consider either one over Freedom.

I haven't been able to find what things were changed from Oasis to Allure. What is different or improved on Allure vs. Oasis? We may consider either one over Freedom.

There is the Rita's Cantina on the Allure, which is a pay for option similar to JR's, there is the Samba Brazilian Steakhouse, a dinner option for 20.00 and there is a Hot Dog Stand (for free) in the Boardwalk area. Otherwise, it's the same ports, and Oasis leaves on Saturday and does the Eastern itinerary, while Allure leaves on Sunday and does the Western itinerary. The following week, the itineraries flip-flop. Since the ships themselves are the real destinations, people don't seem to mind that the ports are the same old, same old. Maybe the powers that be will change things up port wise when the new Sunshine Class becomes reality.

Archived