Muster Drill was a huge JOKE!

Julz226

I don't want to miss my chance at a lifeboat because of selfish people who don't pay attention at life safety drills because they feel (and will act, as proven on the concordia) that it is someone else's responsibility to save their life in a crisis.

Bottom line, people don't even WANT the ability to solve their own problems anymore.

The bottom line is: you could cruise every month for the rest of your life, and you will probably never have a problem.

I would like additional training on how to lower the lifeboats and how to start the engines. All the basic stuff I would expect a crew member to completely screw up. I would feel a lot more safe knowing I didn't have to rely on the crew and I could do it myself.

If they offered an optional 1-2 hr class that covered those basics I would do it. Would be interesting.

If they offered an optional 1-2 hr class that covered those basics I would do it. Would be interesting.

Oh man, me too. That would be awesome! I would pay the same as the behind the scenes tours if they let me pilot the lifeboat!:)

The bottom line is: you could cruise every month for the rest of your life, and you will probably never have a problem.

like the lottery........ it can happen at any time.

none of those concordia passengers said they expected that to happen in this day and age. even the vikings were shocked if you listened to the wind......

I personally think the muster drills have gotten a bit too lax. I do support the no life jacket because YES it is awful hot in some areas. HOWEVER I don't agree with everybody meeting in the resturant/lounge. That is a really STUPID idea. Everybody has assigned stations where they're supposed to meet in case of emergency. My family is not always joined at the hip...sometimes I might want to go to the pool where as my husband wants to take a nap. My son being 16 will likely be involved in one of the teen activities.

Being able to meet at a specific number and place will keep everybody from running about in an emergency looking for one another...

The life vests are nice but...if you're on the top floor at the back of the ship and you have a cabin on the bottom floor in the front...are you going to run back and get a vest? Then meet at the halfway point? Some logistics just don't seem to be there. But there should also be considered an "alternate" location such as in the Concordia incident where the ship was listing to one side. Personnally I would consider improving this by providing life vests near the life boats and as well as the the cabins. Good life vests can be "compact".

I would do it as well. Another option for a sea day

if you are aware of where your muster station is and can get the life vest over your head, you have won half the battle.

There are so many variables that no muster can prepare you. How the passengers (and crew) react to the emergency is a HUGE part of how smoothly a real evacuation would go.

I know a lot of people that are high strung and no amount of prep can keep people like that calm...and sometimes the people you think will fall apart, hold it together well and the people who are usually calm and collected don't.

You just never know.

The important part is to just know where you are supposed to be and have the life jacket on. Most people will be able to buckle it good enough to keep it on them. During the drill and if the real thing should happen, how the captain and crew handle the situation means a lot more than anything else. People look to a leader in a bad situation and they will be looking to the crew. If the crew have it together, it will work out far better.

Your muster station is now printed on your sail and sign card. If you forget where it is just ask any crew member and they can point you in the right direction. And they do have life jackets next to the life boats and in the life boats. They specifcally say at the drill that if you are not near your cabin in the case of a drill to go directly to your station. The new set up makes much more sense.

Edited by gfy012

like the lottery........ it can happen at any time.

none of those concordia passengers said they expected that to happen in this day and age. even the vikings were shocked if you listened to the wind......

Life has risks, you just have to accept them. But the rangers at Yellowstone don't make you take a 4 hour course on Grizzly defense strategy, and you don't have to sit though a 2 hour video about what to do during a rollercoaster disaster before they let you on Magic Mountain:):)

Your muster station is now printed on your sail and sign card. If you forget where it is just ask any crew member and they can point you in the right direction. And they do have life jackets next to the life boats and in the life boats. They specifcally say at the drill that if you are not near your cabin in the case of a drill to go directly to your station. The new set up makes much more sense.

i guess they are abandoning the marked path from your cabin to your muster. i thought that was half the reason for going to the cabin. the other was getting the vest.

you certainly have enough time to do so, as long as there is nothing preventing one from doing so.

personally, i would have a hard time knowing where my muster was from where i was on the ship at the time of the "incident". sometimes i even end up aft when i intended to be fore.

i would also need a congregating point for my family. that would be the cabin.

Your attitude is shared by many, and is a big problem in the world today.

You have to play life my the %'s. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than dying in a cruise ship disaster.

Or: you could live in fear of everything. If that's your plan, good luck to you.

Life has risks, you just have to accept them. But the rangers at Yellowstone don't make you take a 4 hour course on Grizzly defense strategy, and you don't have to sit though a 2 hour video about what to do during a rollercoaster disaster before they let you on Magic Mountain:):)

YOU don't, because apparently you possess even a small amount of critical thinking ability and could maybe function in a crisis. NEVER underestimate just how "sheepish" many people are today in the face of anything outside of the norm.

Of course, the examples you posted are essentially 1-2 people problems. A cruise ship disaster is one where everyone is needed and expected to work together so that everyone else may survive.

You have to play life my the %'s. You have a better chance of winning the lottery than dying in a cruise ship disaster.

Or: you could live in fear of everything. If that's your plan, good luck to you.

When you are prepared and informed, there is much less reason to be fearful.

Edited by cruisenanny

I live in fear of very little, but I don't believe that "because of the odds", I have no responsibility in taking care of myself and those around me.

YOU don't, because apparently you possess even a small amount of critical thinking ability and could maybe function in a crisis. NEVER underestimate just how "sheepish" many people are today in the face of anything outside of the norm.

Of course, the examples you posted are essentially 1-2 people problems. A cruise ship disaster is one where everyone is needed and expected to work together so that everyone else may survive.

Of course you want to be prepared for everything. People ARE sheep, you're totally right. And no matter what you do for a drill, nothing is going to change that. Some people will pay attention, some wont.

I'm talking real world logistics: CCL isn't going to strap everyone down for a 2 hour lecture on ship safety. It's never, ever going to happen. And the incidents of cruise ship disaster is low enough that they will never be forced to. The drill you have is the one you'll have tomorrow, 6 months from now, 6 years from now. Bank that.

Edited by elcuchio24

Being prepared and having knowledge is not living in fear. Its the sign of an intelligent thinker.The sheep are the ones who expect others to save them.

Edited by Rottweiler Puppy

i'm pretty sure in both those instances you would probably be quite dead in an instant.

Being prepared and having knowledge is not living in fear. Its the sign of an intelligent thinker.

I guess you guys are missing my point. Yes, everyone should be prepared. But what is prepared? Knowing how to put on a lifejacket, knowing your muster station. That's what's covered in the drill. It's up to the individual to pay attention or not. CCL is not going to wire people's eyelids open so they pay attention, that's not going to happen.

Now if prepared for you means doing survival suit prep, learning how to use the emergency radio, learning how to lower the life boats---thats NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

I'm not saying what should be done, just want will be done. The drill will stay the same as it is now for the foreseeable future.

I guess you guys are missing my point. Yes, everyone should be prepared. But what is prepared? Knowing how to put on a lifejacket, knowing your muster station. That's what's covered in the drill. It's up to the individual to pay attention or not. CCL is not going to wire people's eyelids open so they pay attention, that's not going to happen.

Now if prepared for you means doing survival suit prep, learning how to use the emergency radio, learning how to lower the life boats---thats NEVER GOING TO HAPPEN.

I'm not saying what should be done, just want will be done. The drill will stay the same as it is now for the foreseeable future.

and those will be the ones not knowing what to do, or where to go. and they better not be blocking my path, or asking me where they should go or what to do, cause i'm not stopping.

i guess they are abandoning the marked path from your cabin to your muster. i thought that was half the reason for going to the cabin. the other was getting the vest.

you certainly have enough time to do so, as long as there is nothing preventing one from doing so.

personally, i would have a hard time knowing where my muster was from where i was on the ship at the time of the "incident". sometimes i even end up aft when i intended to be fore.

i would also need a congregating point for my family. that would be the cabin.

It seems silly in the event of a real drill that everyone clog the hallways trying to get from one end of the ship to the other just to get a life jacket. It takes 5 minutes out of your vacation to find your station. You can go back to your cabin if you want but I won't waste my precious time in a real emergency and will go directly to my station.

It seems silly in the event of a real drill that everyone clog the hallways trying to get from one end of the ship to the other just to get a life jacket. It takes 5 minutes out of your vacation to find your station. You can go back to your cabin if you want but I won't waste my precious time in a real emergency and will go directly to my station.

doesn't seem to be a problem during the drill.

and you seem to be expecting to find a clear area of muster stations to walk across. 6 or 7 decks of people on one deck, outside, creates quite a mob scene.

Edited by H82seaUgo

and those will be the ones not knowing what to do, or where to go. and they better not be blocking my path, or asking me where they should go or what to do, cause i'm not stopping.

Nor should you. Sheeple will be sheeple.

doesn't seem to be a problem during the drill.

and you seem to be expecting to find a clear area of muster stations to walk across. 6 or 7 decks of people on one deck, outside, creates quite a mob scene.

They wait for everyone to show up for the drill. You have plenty of time to report to your station at a drill. In the real event you don't get a final warning blast. If I am out on the pool deck in a real emergency and my muster station is on the lido deck I would be stupid to go back down 5 decks to my cabin to get my jacket IMHO. But feel free to do so.

Edited by gfy012