Westerdam Drydock

kfrost72

I saw that the Westerdam is schedule for dry dock in a couple of weeks. We're cruising on her at the end of May and I was curious if there was any way to find out what's being completed in dry dock.

Curious minds and all that...

The main purpose for drydock is almost always below the water line inspection, maintenance, repair and painting. The ships have to be out of the water at least every 25-30 months for this purpose.

As mentioned, while the ship is in drydock (can also be done in "wet dock"), soft goods- beds, carpets, galley equipment and many other things are frequently repaired, upgraded or replaced.

Many cruise lines use this time for significant remodels. However, there has been not talk of any significant changes to the Vista class ships.

I have it on VERY good authority that the dry dock is going to be the first of the Vista upgrades to this:

fifth-element.jpg

Cannot wait! ;)

Seriously, there's been no major rumors. If anything I'd hope that they put the aft screen up on her as we're on her this fall.

Derek

I have it on VERY good authority that the dry dock is going to be the first of the Vista upgrades to this:

fifth-element.jpg

Cannot wait! ;)

Seriously, there's been no major rumors. If anything I'd hope that they put the aft screen up on her as we're on her this fall.

Derek

Why would you want an AFT screen on her. Why Carnavelize a good ship. They have one on the Rotterdam and I see them as useless. This is just my humble opinion.

The Westerdam is going into drydock next weekend after completing this week's cruise. It will be 14 days and take place in Freeport, Bahamas. Just got off the ship this morning and numerous staff members said the same thing.

Why would you want an AFT screen on her. Why Carnavelize a good ship. They have one on the Rotterdam and I see them as useless. This is just my humble opinion.

So that she matches up with the other Vista ships and gives more options to her passengers.

MUTS is great on Princess.

Derek

I agree with you, Father. We did one Princess cruise and quite honestly, it was the MUTS that turned me off on their ships...and we've cruised on HAL ever since. I like to feel that I'm on a ship...I like the nautical feel of HAL ships.

I'd rather listen to the waves lapping against the hull rather than a loud movie screen any day of the week!

So that she matches up with the other Vista ships and gives more options to her passengers.

MUTS is great on Princess.

Derek

Matches up with the other Vista Class ships? Vista ships do not have aft screens. Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

I agree with you, Father. We did one Princess cruise and quite honestly, it was the MUTS that turned me off on their ships...and we've cruised on HAL ever since. I like to feel that I'm on a ship...I like the nautical feel of HAL ships.

I'd rather listen to the waves lapping against the hull rather than a loud movie screen any day of the week!

I was all set to violently hate MUTS and left my CB cruise with neutral feelings. It was very nice to be out at night on a lounger, popcorn in hand, with my sweatshirt hood up and a woolen blanket over me, watching movies. During the day I saw three concert videos (one hour long each) that were quite good- Tina Turner at Wembley stadium was one. Truly, the screen is HUGE and it is an experience. However, there were a few times when the music was so intrusive and so LOUD that I couldn't stand it. Most of the time I just headed aft to avoid it altogether.

We enjoyed the Superbowl on the Caribbean Princess MUTS in '06...and did watch a movie one night, covered with the wool blankets, munching popcorn, but overall, I found it a more negative "amenity" than positive.

One thing I like is that HAL doesn't have MUTS or a grass lawn or a rock wall or anything else like that. I want to walk under the stars in more quiet than that, with my sweetie. Or play shuffleboard in the evening quiet way-up-top on the Westerdam. A great place for a glass of wine and a friendly game.

Matches up with the other Vista Class ships? Vista ships do not have aft screens. Nice try, though. :rolleyes:

^ I know, I was applying wishful thinking.:o

Just wishing that the progress of the Retreat would make it to the ships (Vista & Signature)that are less than a decade old and feel like a ship rather a boat with a gland condition.

I kinda thought my pic of Fhloston Paradise set the mood/tone of my post. :o Guess not.

Derek

Archived