Never River Cruised Before

bacm

I have never river cruised before and am interested in giving it a try. Where do you suggest I start to research this. I thought each river cruise company would be listed on the board seperately so I could read up on each one of them, however, I only see one selection that says River Cruising. I've been reading through the posts, but it doesn't seem like the most effective way to do research. Any suggestions?

google - 'european river cruise lines' and you will get a sampling of what lines might interest you. otherwise just keep looking on cruise critic and you will become educated and able to research what may interest you. good luck and Happy Easter.

I have never river cruised before and am interested in giving it a try. Where do you suggest I start to research this. I thought each river cruise company would be listed on the board seperately so I could read up on each one of them, however, I only see one selection that says River Cruising. I've been reading through the posts, but it doesn't seem like the most effective way to do research. Any suggestions?

I started out like you two years ago and found much on the Internet, as well as cruise critic.

River cruises are harder to compare, since the companies frequently have different packages.

There are many river cruise companies and some are wonderful, except for in one area.

We used Vantage for our Russian River cruise and will be going to China with Vantage this August.

Also, we are using AMA Waterways for our Paris, Rhone river cruise, then to Barcelona trip next month.

Do your own research, but in my opinion, these companies merit some consideration:

Vantage

Grand Circle

AMA Waterways

Tauck,

Viking

Avalon

Uniworld

There are budget companies like Gate 1 that are cheaper, but your amenities are usually less.

When we started researching our first river cruise - the first thing we did was to decide what itinerary we were interested in - then after making that decision - began researching the different lines. Our first was with Gate 1 and did not feel like we were offered any less than our second one, which was with Uniworld. Both were exceptional. Third will be with Avalon and already planning one in 2013 which will probably be with Viking due to the itinerary we have chosen. Have fun and be ready to be spoiled when you compare your experience with big ship cruising!

B. Cole

Hi Bacm! Welcome to the River Cruise section. :-D

My dh and I have never done a river cruise before either, but just booked a week for April-May 2013 last week! We had been talking about doing it for a few years and been reading, and on email/snail mail lists with some of the different companies. My suggestion, like others have said, is look at each of the websites for the companies mentioned in this forum.

Viking River had been who we thought we'd go with because they really do a lot of marketing so we knew about them the most, but we ended up choosing AMA Waterways because of the price we finally got for a larger size cabin that they offer, the time/trip we wanted to take and oddly enough the fact they offer a lot of bikes onboard and some guided tours using them. (That really was not something I'd ever thought about as a draw until I discovered they offered it! That is where research really helps)

So as has been said there are lots of variables for a many reasons (mostly personal choices) and the best you can do is research,research, research online at their websties, then come here and ask questions. I've found there is a lot of information right here if you ask questions once you narrow things down.

Have fun researching, investigating and choosing what works for you.

Depending on your budget, I would recommend either Vantage (less expensive) or Tauck (most expensive). Each line has pluses and minuses. It is your decision what matters most-cabin size, window, balcony, French balcony, itinerary.

Our last river cruise was on Vantage-14 days on Castles of the Rhine and Danube. Budapest to Amsterdam, and loved it.

fwiw...I agree with Cole. I would begin by looking at the cities on the rivers of Europe. If you always wanted to see Amsterdam; then look at the itineraries of the various companies and see what other cities are on the Amsterdam cruises. Lyon or Budapest or Paris? Find those on the itineraries and see where else they cruise.

I think probably what you are going to find is that most of the cruise lines go to most of the same places. I don't think there is even that much difference in the interiors of the ships--food and service are the opinions of others. I also talked to several city guides over the last few years and they all said that they work for all of cruise lines, so I'm not convinced that there is that big of difference in the guides you'll have.

Everyone here has their favorites so it is the dates & $ that are probably the most important to you.

You will absolutely love river cruising. Just the freedom to walk off and go explore whenever you want is liberating and maybe just a little overwhelming!!

I am with you bacm!:D We are cruisers but I wanted to try something different and I have been looking at river cruises. (I am dragging DH along - but it is after the golf league, so he is not disagreeing. :rolleyes:) We decided on Budapest to Amsterdam with pre-extension on Vantage. We picked them because of a new ship, and could get a suite for the cost of some of the others.

I am like some of the others that don't like the long flights anymore, so once we get there - I plan to stay awhile. (As long a work will allow, anyway!:))One of the things I did was make a sheet with all the pluses and minuses of the different lines - work with our schedule - then picked the one that best suited our perceived needs. I was kind of surprised to find that Tauck was the next one on my list with included things in their price. Hope your search is as fun as mine was! Have a great trip!

Dear Wormy,

We did that cruise last year, and enjoyed it thoroughly. We would be happy to answer any questions.

My e-mail is highlandpark"at"mindspring.com

Thanks! I have already checked out your "travels"! Wonderful! It almost leaves me nothing to ask!:D

Archived