Local Village Bar GRAND TURK

FloatingSunGoddess

I just came back from my Destiny Cruise and our stop at Grand Turks. We stopped at the Local Village Bar and had a great time. Arthur was a really nice guy. Totally hands on. The only suggestion I could make to him is to get some waitresses. He was very busy and at times we did have to wait a few minutes to reorder our drinks. Once we did order them though, they were there in no time.

I would definately recommend this place. It was a great place to visit.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...
How do you get to both of these bars Jack's and Local? Do you have to go out side the cruise center to get there?

Head to the left to the beach area...you then walk up the beach. Local Bar will be first...Jack's is past it (you will see a flag out front). You can also take a cab if you are unable to do the beach walk...cost is $3 pp

Head to the left to the beach area...you then walk up the beach. Local Bar will be first...Jack's is past it (you will see a flag out front). You can also take a cab if you are unable to do the beach walk...cost is $3 pp

Gosh, in the past we have always walked. We didn't know there was the option to take a cab. That would be great! Where do you go to catch the cab?

Gosh, in the past we have always walked. We didn't know there was the option to take a cab. That would be great! Where do you go to catch the cab?

I know! We have walked it in the past, and it was a long walk to Jack's in the sand and the heat. This year I had injured my knee and knew I wouldn't be able to do it, so I discovered the taxi;) You walk thru the port area and veer a little to the left...you will see taxis there (it's on the other side of Margaritaville). It was SO much better than doing that walk...even our able-bodied friends agreed!:D

• 1 month later...

I absolutely loved The Local Village Bar!!! It is right before you get to Jack's Shack. I was there the on the Liberty (7/7/12-7/14/12). The chairs are free! The drinks are awesome the the people are very friendly. I forgot to mention the food! We had conch fritters and burgers! The fritters were fantastic! This was my second trip to Grand Turk. The 1st time we went to Margaritaville. It was fun, the pool is awesome, but OVERPRICED. Tried Jack's Shack right before we went to the Local Village. They were rude and the wait for food was too long.

I can't wait to go back to the Local Village! It is right between Margaritaville and The Shack.

• 2 years later...

Does anyone know if Local Village Bar is still open? we were there in 2012 and loved it, there in October 2013 and it seemed closed down. We have a stop this October and really would love to go again rather than go all the way down to Jacks Shack.

From what I have seen, just like you said closed down. I actually became friendly with the owner Arthur Smith, but suddenly lost touch with him. I'll be in GT in Feburary, and hopefully there will be an alternative to Jack's. Way too noisy and crowded in M'ville. Let us know what you find in October.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

We're looking for updated information about the beach bars on Grand Turk for our October cruise stop. Everything posted here seems to be from 2012.

Does anyone know if the Local Village Bar is still there or did it change names to Barefoot Cabana? How is the food and does it still have free wifi? Is it still good or do you recommend walking down to Jack's?

Help please!

:)

Elaine

Does anyone know if Local Village Bar is still open? we were there in 2012 and loved it, there in October 2013 and it seemed closed down. We have a stop this October and really would love to go again rather than go all the way down to Jacks Shack.

Sorry, I didn't see this post before asking our questions! Any current info, though, will still be appreciated!

Elaine

We're looking for updated information about the beach bars on Grand Turk for our October cruise stop. Everything posted here seems to be from 2012.

Does anyone know if the Local Village Bar is still there or did it change names to Barefoot Cabana? How is the food and does it still have free wifi? Is it still good or do you recommend walking down to Jack's?

Help please!

Elaine

Arthur sold his place (or turned it over or whatever) late last year. It reopened as the Barefoot Cantina toward the end of the year. But I have seen any reviews or remarks on it since the first week they reopened.

There is the Crew Bar and another place along the way to Jack's, if the Barefoot isn't open. And if those don't grab your fancy, you're over halfway to Jack's, might as well keep walking.

Thanks!!! Hoping to hear from someone who has been there..food review??

We were in Grand Turk for the 4th of July last year. Went on a snorkelling junket to the WALL in the morning and did a Beach Bar Crawl in the afternoon.

Walked down to Jack's Shack to check out all of the hype that this bar has received. We were not impressed. Couldn't find a seat and couldn't get waited on. It was lunch time so we decided to have lunch at the Local Village Bar. The people and service was great. Eight of us had Jerk Chicken, Burgers and Dogs of various kinds. Everyone had drinks and our total was $115 including tip. Food was great, especially the Jerk Chicken. Also stopped at two more bars on the way back to Margaritaville. Was a wonderful day in Grand Turk.

Arthur sold his place (or turned it over or whatever) late last year. It reopened as the Barefoot Cantina toward the end of the year. But I have seen any reviews or remarks on it since the first week they reopened.

There is the Crew Bar and another place along the way to Jack's, if the Barefoot isn't open. And if those don't grab your fancy, you're over halfway to Jack's, might as well keep walking.

Thanks for the current info!

Elaine

We were in Grand Turk for the 4th of July last year. Went on a snorkelling junket to the WALL in the morning and did a Beach Bar Crawl in the afternoon.

Walked down to Jack's Shack to check out all of the hype that this bar has received. We were not impressed. Couldn't find a seat and couldn't get waited on. It was lunch time so we decided to have lunch at the Local Village Bar. The people and service was great. Eight of us had Jerk Chicken, Burgers and Dogs of various kinds. Everyone had drinks and our total was $115 including tip. Food was great, especially the Jerk Chicken. Also stopped at two more bars on the way back to Margaritaville. Was a wonderful day in Grand Turk.

Sounds great. Was the jerk chicken very spicy or only moderately? I've been eager to try it but can't eat very, very spicy food.

Thanks.

Sounds great. Was the jerk chicken very spicy or only moderately? I've been eager to try it but can't eat very, very spicy food.

Thanks.

I did not find the jerk chicken spicy at all. Try it and enjoy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'm hoping for something other than Margaritaville or Jack's. Sorry, but Jack's didn't impress me. I just figure if I'm going to spend money on an island, I'd rather it go to a local and not to a corporate-owned chain or to transplants. JMO.

Now that the helicopter takes off behind where I used to sit (was nice and quiet down at the far end of the beach), I'm looking for something else. I'll walk down that way and see what I find

• 3 months later...

In doing research for our upcoming cruise, I found that the Local Village Bar has indeed become the Barefoot Cabana. New owners. If anyone has been there since the change, please let us know how it is, and if it compares to the old ownership. I wish I had been able to go last time, but excursions kept me from it.

Christina

We were in Grand Turk this past October and Barefoot Cabana is open. The food was better under the previous owner but is was still pretty good, not too spicy. Jerk Chicken is not on the menu but they will prepare it for you if you ask.b81c4f6eb43a500f045efcc3be779e3d.jpg499c8d6662e3920206da338e90ed4092.jpg41e93fe1ba86663e35f09e31794365d1.jpg45c020d92d9a0f02fa0fc58e4c6f24cc.jpg1ff5a239ff28d3ff62f399d8aed028d6.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Ooh, competition! I'll try both.

[emoji572]️ You know you're a cruise addict if:

You know what DOtD and OBC mean.

You enter your bedroom at night and look for the towel animal.

You are reading Cruise Critic, and your cruise isn't for months, or you don't even have one booked (yet!) [emoji572]️

• 3 weeks later...