Computer lounge/facilities on Enchantment?

We'll be sailing on Enchantment in May, and my husband is going to need to get online for work. We'd like to avoid bringing a laptop. I think there are PCs online--can anyone verify? He needs to be able to use Internet Explorer for a browser, so does anyone know if that's accessible? If you have any information on pricing, that would be helpful, too! Thanks for any information you can provide!

I second this question. I'm aware of the computer lounge and that they are expensive and very slow. My brother had/has some kind of computer card that allows him internet service when he is out to sea. Would this work, or does the ship jam (?) that application?

We'll be sailing on Enchantment in May, and my husband is going to need to get online for work. We'd like to avoid bringing a laptop. I think there are PCs online--can anyone verify? He needs to be able to use Internet Explorer for a browser, so does anyone know if that's accessible? If you have any information on pricing, that would be helpful, too! Thanks for any information you can provide!

Yes there are PC´s onboard for passengers use to go online. Yes they use IE.

Pricing is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

Now for the but...

I´d rather bring the laptop. The rates will be the same using their computers or your own laptop via WIFI, however I´ve found the WIFI connection to be considerably faster (still slow though) than their computers. In my experience their computers are not the newest machines and I wouldn´t count on a current Windows system and a current Version of Internet Explorer.

Yes, there are computers available. If there is something specific you need to access, I would bring your laptop along, just in case. the ship does not have shipwide access yet, and it's best in the centrum.

The card that allows internet service is likely going to rack up extraordinarily high cell charges.

Yes, there are computers available. If there is something specific you need to access, I would bring your laptop along, just in case. the ship does not have shipwide access yet, and it's best in the centrum.

The card that allows internet service is likely going to rack up extraordinarily high cell charges.

I would imagine of course because you would be roaming right? Would it come out in the wash because of a faster speed or no?

Yes – there will be computers available for use. We’ve had to carry on business back home while on a cruise. (Often we don’t tell clients we are out of town)

In any case, if you need to do substantial work, be warned that the internet is very slow and expensive – somewhere like 50 cents per minute There are several different packages available for a set amount of minutes for a set price. You will likely easily find the exact info, once on board. Sorry I can’t recall the current prices. If you happen to be a repeat RCCL passenger the Crown and Anchor member books have some coupons for some free internet or a reduction on package prices.

Good luck

M

Yes there are PC´s onboard for passengers use to go online. Yes they use IE.

Pricing is:

Base rate is $.65 per minute or choose from one of our prepaid packages:

$35 for 60 minutes

$55 for 100 minutes

$75 for 150 minutes

$100 for 250 minutes

$150 for 500 minutes

Now for the but...

I´d rather bring the laptop. The rates will be the same using their computers or your own laptop via WIFI, however I´ve found the WIFI connection to be considerably faster (still slow though) than their computers. In my experience their computers are not the newest machines and I wouldn´t count on a current Windows system and a current Version of Internet Explorer.

Thanks very much! I think bringing the laptop might be best, but because it belongs to work, DH is a little concerned in case something happens.

Not sure what ports you are stopping at, normally within walking distance are a number of internet cafes substantially less expensive. I wouldn't do any banking or such on these, but for email, they've seemed to work just fine.

Not sure what ports you are stopping at, normally within walking distance are a number of internet cafes substantially less expensive. I wouldn't do any banking or such on these, but for email, they've seemed to work just fine.

Good point. We're stopping in Bermuda, Boston and Newport.

Another downside to the ship computers - they can't be used for loading or transmitting pictures or other media. One of our top reasons for bringing laptop is to copy pictures from camera media cards to disk or other cards as backup. It is also handy for sending a picture (much reduced size and resolution) back to family as a sort of post card. Finally the ship computers are not real good for composing email off-line and then connecting to paste into email and disconnect fast to save minutes.

When on Explorer, we could not use our providers webmail due to certificate issues with the onboard computers . THe only way was to use our own laptop. WE were OK with Oasis onboard computers. Never tried webmail on other ships.

Archived