Cruising out of San Juan, PR

Dan2k11

I don't know remember having to do anything special with out luggage or have any special checks when we returned from our cruise in San Juan either. Having said that, I also will NEVER EVER cruise from San Juan again either. The ship was wonderful, the ports were wonderful but it was not a Caribbean Cruise. It was a Puerto Rican / Latino cruise with nothing but Spanish speaking people and salsa music. The ports were wonderful; ship life...not so much.

I think you are either overly sensitive or exaggerating. We went last month and there was a nice mixture of people, including several from San Jua. Which you would expect, and there was a carribean band that played on the deck every day at various times.

It couldn't have been more tropical

Has anyone else experianced what mckrob1981 has with the people onboard from Puerto Rico? I would rather not cruise with loud obnoxious people, regardless of their background and this concerns me. On our a last cruise there were a few people to we could not stand but it was the minority not the majority. What is your opinion on the people aboard these Southern Caribbean routes out of San Juan.

I did not experience this...did not see many, if any loud obnoxiuos people. I feel you can see some of these people on any cruise or furthermore in any public place. Typically, there will be a few obnoxious cruisers on any sailing, but to be honest..I didn't notice any on this cruise. Maybe because of there being so many ports, and we were so focused on other things. We had a great time.

Has anyone else experienced what mckrob1981 has with the people onboard from Puerto Rico? I would rather not cruise with loud obnoxious people, regardless of their background and this concerns me. On our a last cruise there were a few people to we could not stand but it was the minority not the majority. What is your opinion on the people aboard these Southern Caribbean routes out of San Juan.

In our experience...just like our cruises out of Galveston have lots of (fellow) Texans on board our cruise out of San Juan had many Puerto Ricans on board. Our cruise on Victory was wonderful and I would do it again in a heartbeat given the opportunity to do so. We didn't have encounters with anyone who was rude or obnoxious and while we didn't always understand what was being said since many spoke Spanish they weren't speaking to us so we didn't need to know what they were saying. :)

We fly into San Juan a couple of days early and stayed a day longer. We enjoyed our time at the Sheraton in Old San Juan and took advantage of the extra days for sightseeing. As others have mentioned the airport is disorganized but we got there early and didn't have any problems.

Has anyone else experienced what mckrob1981 has with the people onboard from Puerto Rico? I would rather not cruise with loud obnoxious people, regardless of their background and this concerns me. On our a last cruise there were a few people to we could not stand but it was the minority not the majority. What is your opinion on the people aboard these Southern Caribbean routes out of San Juan.

We sailed last October. There were many Puerto Ricans sailing with us , they were very pleasant and fun to be around. Some of them only spoke Spanish so many of the ships announcements were both in English and Spanish - No big deal. The only obnoxious guy I had the misfortune of being around during the entire trip was from Kansas city. we will be repeating this itinerary in September.

Enjoy your trip!

My disappointment with the trip was I was expecting a Caribbean Tropical Cruise with reggae music, steel drums, and other "beach" music.

I hate to break it to you, but reggae music is not even from that region of the Caribbean. Once again, I believe that your dissapointment had to do more with your lack of research than with the actual cruise.

Just like certain styles of music and clothing are predominant in certain parts of the United States but not others, the same thing applies to the Caribbean. There are MANY different cultures and backgrounds within the region.

Unfortunately, a lot of people think that the entire Caribbean is one big beach with Bob Marley and Jimmy Buffet music playing, and Margaritaville's and Senor Frog's bars in every corner. Believe me, it's NOT.

And about the loud, rude, and obnoxious behavior: I'll stress it one more time: Learn about the cultures of the places you're about to visit. The Latin culture (specially the Latin culture found in Caribbean countries like the Domincan Republic and Puerto Rico) is VASTLY different than what many Americans have in mind. For someone who hasn't had much exposure or doesn't take the time to learn about it, YES, it can come across as being loud, rude, and obnoxious, but for people who DO take the time to learn about it, know what to expect, and embrace it, the experience can be an absolutely amazing experience.

And before you take the trip to Africa that you want to take: REALLY learn about what you'll find there. If you thought a cruise out of San Juan was a culture shock, you're in for an even BIGGER shock!

Have to agree with Tapi. We had no problems at all, well one, we were at at table for 4, us and 2 sisters from San Juan, they did not seem interested in having to speak Engligh so they changed tables, no biggie. Loved the ship, staff shows, everything was conducted in ENGLISH with some announcements in Spanish. Weare doing this trip again in November. I would not hesitate to sail from or stop in San Juan on a cruise.

Has anyone else experianced what mckrob1981 has with the people onboard from Puerto Rico? I would rather not cruise with loud obnoxious people, regardless of their background and this concerns me. On our a last cruise there were a few people to we could not stand but it was the minority not the majority. What is your opinion on the people aboard these Southern Caribbean routes out of San Juan.

We'll be on our 4th cruise out of san juan and the second on the victory this year, its our opinion theres no better place to cruise the caribbean from. Yes theres plenty of salsa music and of course plenty of puerto ricans but no more rude, loud, obnoxious people than any other cruise from what I can tell. Everyone has their own likes and dislikes about fellow cruisers, Europeans tend to think ALL americans are rude loud and obnoxious so its really a matter of opinion.

I went on a cruise last Thanksgiving out of Miami-not many Hispanics but a bunch of loud, thoughtless people that thought they had a right because they were in big groups to take over were ever they are!!

And before you take the trip to Africa that you want to take: REALLY learn about what you'll find there. If you thought a cruise out of San Juan was a culture shock, you're in for an even BIGGER shock!

Last edited by Tapi; Yesterday at 05:50 PM.

We were on two week picture safari to Kenya and Tanzania in 2006 and are going for two week picture safari to South Africa this summer-as much as I love cruising, seeing the animals in the wild and close up is the best!!

We stayed overnight after disembark and was glad we did. Did not know about issues at the airport, just decided we wanted to tour around San Juan. I wouldn't have changed a thing about cruising out of San Juan. Our cruise was absolutely AWESOME! We did not have any issues with anything mentioned. Sure there might have been a little of this or alot of that, but I guess I didn't really notice it, or if I did, I didn't let it bother me. I try to just go with the flow when I've been looking forward to a cruise/vacation and make the best out of any good, bad or ugly situation.

ENJOY...:)

I didn't expect the Puerto Ricans to be so loud, rude, and obnoxious. Of the people who came on the cruise who were NOT Puerto Rican were ready to get off the ship when it came into port. Not only will I not sail from Puerto Rico again, I will avoid any cruises that even stop there.

Wow, I am so sorry. It must have been an absolutely miserable situation for you to decide thst you'll never again even consider visitibg lovely PR. Yes, what you perceive as loud rude and obnoxious fellow passengers can sure ruin a cruise. It saddens me to hear that you lumped a particular culture into a stereotype. What about Americans? Would you avoid any cruises from the US during spring break? Those American college kids can be masters of what some consider loud, rude and obnoxious behavior. What about school vacation periods? Many indulgent American parents don't supervise their children very well onboard, lots of running, yelling, line-cutting, splashing.... Oh, and if you cruise in Europe, be prepared for announcements, not only in English and Spanish, but a string of other languages too. And what about those notorious Chair Hogs, and those that blatantly ruin the dining experiences of others by dressing as they please? And don't get me going on the smokers and drunks! ;) it's all in the way we personally perceive situations, and make a choice as to how we will react.

Seriously, if you were genuinely upset by the culture mix and behaviors, and wish cruise to destinations afar, I suggest you consider some cruiselines that cater to a less diverse population.it may make the experience more comfortable for you.

I booked on the Valor sailing out of San Juan on 2013. In no way am I defending anything mckrob1981 said, but it also never occurred me when booking that there would be a lot of Puerto Rican people on board. Although after now hearing someone say it, it makes total sense as is obvious, but I also missed it.

Even if I would have known this, I would still have booked. I'm ver exicted to visit PR and am looking forward to this cruise

Your vacation is what you make it. If you are looking for things to complain about, you will find them. Don't let it ruin your vacation.

For comparisons sake, try booking a cruise out of New York!! Talk about alot of rude, obnoxious, pushy people. Except these people are speaking english, making it perfectly clear just how awful people can be. Being a New Yorker, I thought "Hey the ports not too far away, we can save on airfare" After day 2 I concluded that Id pay airfare to Tasmania to avoid sailing from the base of 42nd street again.

Sailed another line (Celebrity, the Millennium) out of SJ a couple of years back and loved the diverse pax makeup and the great music of all sorts.

But my point in posting is to provide a link to the San Juan forum here on CC:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/forumdisplay.php?f=131

It's a sub-forum on the Caribbean page, so it doesn't jump out at you and you have to dig a little to find it. Posters are from both port-of-call and port-of-embarkation perspectives, but there is a lot of good info there you (the OP) may wish to read through, at least the most recent 3-4 pages.

I think the main benefit of a SJ departure is that when you get off the plane you are already IN the tropics/caribbean, and there are not likely multiple sea days between you and beautiful weather and ports. A Boeing making 500 knots toward paradise beats a ship at 20 knots any day:D.

Enjoy your cruise!

Went in Jan best cruise ever food was just so-so, when cruiseing from San Juan you are in warm weather already. No trouble with airport but we got off the ship with zone 3. Book shore Xs. off the ship cheeper and they get you back with time to shop. Watch my video fun things to do

No, I didn't experience this at all.

You do have to keep in mind that Puerto Rico, though part of the US, is a Spanish-speaking culture, so you will experience a good number of people on the ship/in elevators/etc., speaking Spanish.

I don't know what mckrob is speaking about, because it is definitely a Caribbean cruise, though it wasn't what he was expecting. I do have some thoughts about his attitude, though probably the nicest thing I can say to verbalize them is to just ignore his comments because he is totally off base.

I have taken six cruises now, all from different home ports, and if there is one thing I can say, is that all six cruises have been different.....not better or worse, but different...from each other.

There is, of course, a chance of encountering rude, obnoxious, and loud cruisers on any ship from any home port, with the chances increasing during certain times of the year (particularly spring break from what I understand--fortunately we have never sailed during this time of the year).

The three cruises out of San Juan, we have not experienced any loud or obnoxious Puerto Ricans as described by mckrob1981. In fact, we have found that the Puerto Ricans we have be with to be very friendly. This is why we are so excited about our next cruise and staying in Old San Juan. We love Puerto Rico and the culture.

Ok I have to chime back in here in case there are people sailing out of PR for the first time and getting nervous. In no way shape or form can you classify any culture as being "rude and obnoxious". It simply defies odds that ALL the people are rude.

We sailed from PR for the first time last winter and as my previous post stated it was a wonderful experience. Our kids went with us that time for their first cruise and before leaving we taught them "please", "thank you" , "sir" and so on in Spanish. We are in someone else's country and need to respect that.

The local people we encountered in OSJ were warm, friendly, and more than willing to help when it was glaringly obvious our Spanish was the most basic kind. On board the ship we found the nationalities to be a nice mix. Actually the one who stood out as being the rude one was the permanently drunk American Princess who could be found by the pool every day slurring screams for men to not look at her or she would beat them up (this was on RCL). She was an exception and in no way would I classify all Americans as being rude drunks nor should anyone describe all PRs as being all rude and obnoxious.

It amazes me there are people who still think in such ways

Archived