What to expect while doing the inside passage.

billyelliot

Billy - I don't see where you have said when you are crusing. But I know that the longest days of the year in AK are in mid June. Here is a link to a site that has lots of information about various ports: http://cruiseportinsider.com/index.html

There are some charts that give average daylight, temp, and rainfall by month.

The inlet runs approx 90 mi from Juneau to Skagway so you leave Juneau at 10:30 PM and arrive Skagway 7:00 AM the next day your transit time is about 8.5 hrs - most of it at night.

There is way too much to see, so get up with the sun and take it what you can - you can't see it all.

Either one. Skagway is located at the north end of the Lynn Canal, and all ships going to Skagway have to travel through the Lynn Canal coming and going. Since most ships arrive in Skagway early in the morning, it's usually best to be out on deck when you leave port.

Think of it this way; Skagway is located at the end of a dead-end 'street'. That 'street' is a magnificent narrow waterway called Lynn Canal. If you are lucky enough to be on deck at first light the scenery is simply amazing.

Alaska is one itinerary I always made it a point to try and be in bed by 10pm so I could be up on deck at 4am and marvel at all the wonders of nature as the sun came up. It is so breathtakingly quiet that early in the morning.

Needless to say I never get a lot of sleep during an Alaska cruise but it is soooo worth it. ;)

Skagway is a dead end. You transit the Lynn Canal, in and out. It is of great benefit to stay out your day before as well as after leaving Skagway. This is one of the most scenic areas of the inside passage that ships sail.

Thank you all..... First time to Alaska...... Doesnt matter how may times I looked at the map, I couldnt figure that out.

If I go N/S from Seward to Vancover do we get to see Marjorie Glacier, etc. We'll be on RC Radiance in June. Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skgway, Icy Strait, Ketchikan and inside passage.

We did Hal 2 years ago and I totally agree that you need to be out walking around. They quietly announce (pods of whale off starboard,etc) things to see if you're out and about to see them. It is the best ride through the mountains you'll ever do. THen you'll see sparkling areas on the mts you and as you get closer you realize its massive waterfall cascading down the mountain side. The Zuiderman has a deck you can walk clean around the ship on close to the water level adn as you walkk you see sea critters and great scenary! Wish we were going Hal again, but RC had a deal we couldn't refuse.

When I cruised Glacier Bay on Volendam they served hot split pea soup on the bow. I had never had it before and LOVED it.

If I remember correctly once the ship enters the actual park boundary you cruise for about another hour before reaching Lamplugh Glacier. After we spent some time there it was off to Johns Hopkins inlet (ice permitting) for a view of that glacier, and then it would take about 20-30 minutes to cruise over to Marjorie Glacier and the Grand Pacific Glacier where the ship spent about 45 minutes to an hour hovering and spinning so all balcony sides got to see the glacier. Once that was over it was about 90 minutes to exit the park and then off to the next place on your itinerary.

Two years ago the second week in June we saw orcas several times in various areas. it was great

We leave Vancouver on June 6th @ 4:30pm. Would we have a chance to see orcas in this area or are we too early? When would we hit the tip of Vancouver Island? Thanks!!

If I go N/S from Seward to Vancover do we get to see Marjorie Glacier, etc. We'll be on RC Radiance in June. Hubbard Glacier, Juneau, Skgway, Icy Strait, Ketchikan and inside passage.

Marjorie Glacier is within Glacier Bay National Park. You can only see it if your cruise goes up Glacier Bay. According to your itinerary, you will not get to see Marjorie Glacier.

As Jasperdo has said you will not see Marjorie Glacier, but don't worry, you will get to see glaciers. Hubbard Glacier is impressive, and in Juneau make it a point to either do a helicopter tour (with a landing and walkabout) or a sightseeing trip out to Mendenhall Glacier. Yes, the helicopter tours are expensive, but VERY much worth the cost. The Juneau Icefield is massive and nothing I have seen in Alaska is as impressive when seen from the air.

Also, if you are flying into Anchorage which I assume you are, about an hour before landing in Anchorage you will fly over another massive icefield littered with glaciers. We even flew over College Fjord and could see the glaciers easily from the air. I was lucky enough to be able to have a window seat on one side of the plane, my friends a window seat next to an emergency exit aisle on the other side of the plane, and I went back and forth between the two and took these pictures:

BG

BG

BG

College Fjord

BG

BG

Harvard Glacier, College Fjord

BG

Here's a link to the photos I took in Glacier Bay National Park. It will give you some idea what the cruise through there is like:

http://www.flickr.com/photos/mytravelphotos/sets/72157626946710855/with/5892244985/

Stunning photos, can't wait until we're there - week beginning 13th May on NCL Pearl.

Those photos whet my appetite - thank you.

We arrive in Skagway at 7am and leave at 9pm. We shall still be in dinner at 9pm, so what time do we need to be up and out on deck to see this beautiful scenery?

For me, diinner is of no priority, I get the anytime dining options, and still skip meals.

It's a personal choice. IF dinner is your preference, then you are going to miss some scenic sailing.

The "scenic" sailing leaving Skagway, is right from the departure, through darkness.

We arrive in Skagway at 7am and leave at 9pm. We shall still be in dinner at 9pm, so what time do we need to be up and out on deck to see this beautiful scenery?

The "scenic" sailing leaving Skagway, is right from the departure, through darkness.

As some have said it really depends on the time of year they are sailing Alaska. Sunrise and sunset in Skagway can vary from 4:12am/9:44pm (May 22, when he will be there) to 3:45am/10:24pm (late June). Even if he gets up at 4am :eek: he will still see the scenery well before pulling into Skagway, and for almost an hour after leaving port.

If I remember correctly once the ship enters the actual park boundary you cruise for about another hour before reaching Lamplugh Glacier. After we spent some time there it was off to Johns Hopkins inlet (ice permitting) for a view of that glacier, and then it would take about 20-30 minutes to cruise over to Marjorie Glacier and the Grand Pacific Glacier where the ship spent about 45 minutes to an hour hovering and spinning so all balcony sides got to see the glacier. Once that was over it was about 90 minutes to exit the park and then off to the next place on your itinerary.

Thanks for an idea on the timing...

One of the most impressive days I have ever had cruising the Inside Passage was when we went through the Grenville Channel in British Columbia south of Prince Rupert on Celebrity Cruises. It was like driving a cruise ship down a mountain alleyway. I'm not sure how many cruise lines do this?

Southbound heading toward Vancouver, depending on the time of year and when you hit that stretch of the Inside Passage, the north side of Vancouver Island is very scenic all the way down to Port Neville but it usually gets dark around then mid-Summer.

A 'Day at Sea' cruising the Inside Passage north of Vancouver Island

BG

BG

BG

BG

BG

BG

Thanks for sharing - this is truely getting me excited!

Thanks for an idea on the timing...

Most people are not aware of the "entrance". and few people are out. Lamplugh Glacier is about 2+ hours from there. I can not recall any recent sailings I have done, on NCL, HAL or Princess that went to the John Hopkins first. Always the ship sailed by the Reid and Lamplugh, then to Margerie/Grand Pacific, taking about 3 hours from the entrance.

The ships can be "parked" at the Glacier Bay entrance for an extended time. It can be an active humpback area, if you can be out prior AND am coming from Juneau or Skagway.

Most people are not aware of the "entrance". and few people are out. Lamplugh Glacier is about 2+ hours from there. I can not recall any recent sailings I have done, on NCL, HAL or Princess that went to the John Hopkins first. Always the ship sailed by the Reid and Lamplugh, then to Margerie/Grand Pacific, taking about 3 hours from the entrance.

The ships can be "parked" at the Glacier Bay entrance for an extended time. It can be an active humpback area, if you can be out prior AND am coming from Juneau or Skagway.

The most humpback activity I have ever seen was across from the 'entrance' to Glacier Bay. It seemed to be an entire pod of them, blowholes spouting, backs arching, tails diving. Very impressive. We stayed for over an hour before proceeding on our way.

Only once (out of three visits) on a Glacier Bay cruise did we actually stop at Lamplugh Glacier. It was pretty impressive because there were two blue 'ice caves' forming at the waterline. And once we had a medical emergency and had to have a passenger taken off by helicopter. We slowed just off of Lamplugh Glacier for 45 minutes waiting for the helo to show up. It was pretty exciting to have the it buzzing over the ship. The forward rails of the ship were packed with people observing the medivac.

Lamplugh Glacier

BG

BG

The most humpback activity I have ever seen was across from the 'entrance' to Glacier Bay. It seemed to be an entire pod of them, blowholes spouting, backs arching, tails diving. Very impressive. We stayed for over an hour before proceeding on our way.

Only once (out of three visits) on a Glacier Bay cruise did we actually stop at Lamplugh Glacier. It was pretty impressive because there were two blue 'ice caves' forming at the waterline. And once we had a medical emergency and had to have a passenger taken off by helicopter. We slowed just off of Lamplugh Glacier for 45 minutes waiting for the helo to show up. It was pretty exciting to have the it buzzing over the ship. The forward rails of the ship were packed with people observing the medivac.

Lamplugh Glacier

BG

BG

Point Adolphus is a long time, consistant humpback feeding area. For clarification, humpbacks are not pod whales. The groups formed are temporary and brief. They are solitary animals.

As some have said it really depends on the time of year they are sailing Alaska. Sunrise and sunset in Skagway can vary from 4:12am/9:44pm (May 22, when he will be there) to 3:45am/10:24pm (late June). Even if he gets up at 4am :eek: he will still see the scenery well before pulling into Skagway, and for almost an hour after leaving port.

Which ship will you be on? We are there that day on Zuiderdam! :D

Which ship will you be on? We are there that day on Zuiderdam! :D

Actually I won't be there until several weeks after you (on Celebrity Solstice), but went ahead and pulled the sunrise/sunset times for the day you are there in Skagway so you would know what to expect. :D

Actually I won't be there until several weeks after you (on Celebrity Solstice), but went ahead and pulled the sunrise/sunset times for the day you are there in Skagway so you would know what to expect. :D

Oops. I'm not going until 2013. Sorry. :o

Oh ok lol. Thanks for that?:)

You're welcome!

I just wanted point out that sailing in or out of Skagway isn't necessarily done in darkness. If you are an early riser or make it a point to be up very early on the day you pull into Skagway you'll get to see plenty of beautiful scenery of the Lynn Canal while the sun is still up.

I know it sounds crazy but there were days I would be up at 4am out on deck taking pictures!

One of the most impressive days I have ever had cruising the Inside Passage was when we went through the Grenville Channel in British Columbia south of Prince Rupert on Celebrity Cruises. It was like driving a cruise ship down a mountain alleyway. I'm not sure how many cruise lines do this?

Back when the world was flat and I crewed on a cruise ship, Granville Channel was always sailed...in fact southbound it was the night we held the Captain's Dinner as it was when we could expect absolutely smooth seas. Today HAL and Celebrity will sail it occasionally if time, tide wind and traffic permit...you were fortunate as sailing the channel is not an automatic.The channel is used by BC Ferries, Alaska State Ferries, smaller vessels and the fishing fleets of both Canada and the US while transiting to the fishing grounds and it is a most spectacular ride.

Archived