The Stewards Need Some Help

dag144

I agree -- the cabins stewards have far too many cabins to take care of.

Sadly -- HAL is not the only cruiseline to cut back on staff.

When I mentioned a few years about the cutbacks in staff -- I was told -- no there haven't been any cutbacks. Well staff disappeared somewhere. Our cabin steward used to do 9 cabins. The next steward did 9 cabins. That is 18 cabins. Now those 2 cabin stewards do 30 cabins. What happened to the cabin steward who did the other 9 cabins?

Then on our recent Maasdam cruises -- in the dining room -- the waiter takes your drink order -- not the wine steward any more. The wine stewards now handle only the selling of bottles of wine -- not even glasses of wine. By doing this they were able to cut out 4 wine stewards in the dining room. This is to be fleet wide very soon.

Not just on HAL, most or all ines. Between the lower standard of service, and some cutbacks in expensive food items, I'm glad I got as much cruising in as I did. I feel sorry for the younger generation.:(

HAL could use some help in the MDR as well.

Perhaps some the the passengers could start serving coffee or bussing the tables.

*laffin* I have poured coffee in restaurants at breakfast quite a few times. Always mortifies my wife, but generally has the desired effect of getting the attention of the manager or hostess who SHOULD have seen that the wait staff was either too busy or too inattentive to take care of it. And at least us coffee drinkers have a fresh cup.

(and of course, it's neither the first nor the last time that I'll mortify the wife w/ all kinds of behaviors)

What happened to the cabin steward who did the other 9 cabins?

His salary went into the pocket of some Corporate suit with a sociopathic level of greed!

Work the crew like slaves while the suits are paid like deity come down from above. :mad:

Derek

We have always been told to call room service when we are finished, and they would arrive within ten minutes or so to take away the tray. I have always enjoyed wonderful service when ordering room service.

In fact I remember on one of our Alaska cruises, we ordered breakfast to be served in our cabin, and when I answered the door, there were six young men with six trays, and each young man called out their order and when we sat at the table, they would place our order in front of us. After a couple of days, they knew each of our orders, and would automatically place them where we sat at the table.

That must have been in a penthouse suite in HAL of yesteryear. Most of us will never have that experience......:cool:

Quote:

Originally Posted by Sage

We have always been told to call room service when we are finished, and they would arrive within ten minutes or so to take away the tray. I have always enjoyed wonderful service when ordering room service.

In fact I remember on one of our Alaska cruises, we ordered breakfast to be served in our cabin, and when I answered the door, there were six young men with six trays, and each young man called out their order and when we sat at the table, they would place our order in front of us. After a couple of days, they knew each of our orders, and would automatically place them where we sat at the table.

That must have been in a penthouse suite in HAL of yesteryear. Most of us will never have that experience......:cool:

:) I'm not really sure we'd like that sort of thing.

A bit overwhelming for us first thing in the morning. :eek:

I love great service, but understated without extra flash and dazzle.

I know they meant well but I would have been uncomfortable.

We were just at a very fine hotel in Seattle and wow did they do it well. So natural, down to earth, no attitude but perfection...... at least for our needs and wishes.

Archived