The Stewards Need Some Help

dag144

The front desk will pass the blame to the stewards. Write the company.

However, in this cut throat market, unless you want to pay 100% more fare than you are now, dont count on it.

You get what you pay for is the rule; on Holland you are paying a very cheap price over all.

If you paid for a FORD, dont expect a Mercedes....

Lines that have higher ratios of staff and the service you desire are going to start at $380 pp per day for a regular suite and average$ 490!

Holland america, is presently selling cabins between 80 to 120 per person. They are more intent on filling cabins than perfection.

I totaly understand your feelings.

We now eat in the Lido because the dining rooms are totaly different because there we get quick service fervise from stewards and staff alike..

REALLY????????????? Maybe for you the prices are that good not for us.

Not everyone wants to stay in an inside suite as you do.

Some like balconies - some have restricted vacations and have to book in advance to get their time off

And frankly I wouldn't compare HAL to a FORD (fix or repair daily) any day of the week.

i don't think people sailing the line expect a Mercedes. Just good service and HAL overall has done a good job of that on our cruises

I am very glad that I posted this thread. Lots of opinions. Lots of misreads. Lots of people who read too quickly, but also lots of common sense and common thoughts.

Many seem to agree that HAL has become all too common!

However the prices can't be beat. Take a land vacation in a three star, not a four or five star hotel, get around, eat at least twice a day THEN tell us all how to beat HAL's prices.

About our stewards. Great, but overworked. My thought in posting this tread is to get things and health (ie safety) improved for all without giving a black mark to the two hard working stewards who cared for me.

I continue to believe that a complaint about the cabin would have involved additional work for the overworked stewards. The brass sits on their a--.:)

I have to add - it helps out the crew if people try to keep things as tidy as possible as well - we've walked by some open cabins and saw such a HUGE MESS inside we felt so sorry for the stewards. We try to help out and keep items from being strewn all over the place so they have the basic cleaning to do and they can go on to the next cabin... just a pet peeve of mine seeing how incredibly messy people can leave their cabin and such mess those poor stewards have to clean up...<stepping down off my soapbox now...>

I so agree with you. I can't believe the shape of some cabins we have seen. We feel so sorry for the stewards. They can hardly walk around let alone clean anything. We keep our cabin tidy as well so they can quickly clean and move on.

I have to add - it helps out the crew if people try to keep things as tidy as possible as well - we've walked by some open cabins and saw such a HUGE MESS inside we felt so sorry for the stewards. We try to help out and keep items from being strewn all over the place so they have the basic cleaning to do and they can go on to the next cabin... just a pet peeve of mine seeing how incredibly messy people can leave their cabin and such mess those poor stewards have to clean up...<stepping down off my soapbox now...>

We keep our stateroom tidy, too...it's more enjoyable that way for us...and also easier for the room stewards to tidy. And, same thing if we're staying in a hotel.

Believe me, I know they appreciate it...we own a 13 room B & B...and I listen to complaints all the time from my staff re "messy guests"!

:o

Just came off the Maasdam yesterday 4/16. The ship is in very nice condition. I do have one major bone to pick with HAL and hope that some of you will agree.

Our cabin, a mini-suite on Veranda deck, while neat, needed a good old fashion scrubbing. The kind that mother did each Spring and Fall at least. I would get a kick in my backside for saying this. She was always cleaning!

The stewards (two teams of two men each) four in total, are responsible for sixty cabins. They did a great job of keeping things neat and tidy, but with this work load, there is not much time for anything else.

HAL should maintain a schedule of deep cleaning with extra help available on a periodic basis. This is as important to shipboard health as hand washing. Maybe the Hotel Mgr. and staff with strips should be required to pitch in. :)

I'm thinking why didn't you talk to the Hotel Manager?

I'm thinking why didn't you talk to the Hotel Manager?

I can truly say that I have hesitated to say anything to Hotel Managers about my room and it's lack of deep cleaning, because I felt that it might result in a bad mark against the steward if I did. I think they do the job as well as they can given the current steward to cabin ratio. I don't want to cause the steward anymore stress than he/she is already under due to their current workload.

The Hotel Mgr. is part and a big part of the problem. If he and his counterparts on the other ships did their jobs and examined cabins on a surprise basis, perhaps they would have smelled a foul odor from the toilet similar to that which I experienced.

I will not risk the the overworked cabin steward as a alibi for a lax or lazy executive who should "sniff about" on his own.:D

The Hotel Mgr. is part and a big part of the problem. If he and his counterparts on the other ships did their jobs and examined cabins on a surprise basis, perhaps they would have smelled a foul odor from the toilet similar to that which I experienced.

I will not risk the the overworked cabin steward as a alibi for a lax or lazy executive who should "sniff about" on his own.:D

You may not be aware that Hotel Managers do random cabin inspections on a regular basis. Good you mentioned it so that confusion can be cleared up.

Lazy executive....... Really?

What an awful thing to say IMO without knowing their work schedule..... day after day, week after week, month after month.

Lazy? No, indeed, not!

Ok I hope I do not hit a nerve here. But do the beds have to be changed daily? I know sometimes we just make up the bed just pull up sheet and blanket when we stay at hotel. Ok some will say they paid for this but it takes just a minute to fix a bed.

No, the bed linens are not changed every day but throughout the week. I am not sure exactly how many days but, of course, if they need changing, they get changed whether on the 'schedule' or not.

I felt the same on our Westerdam cruise in Feb. ... I did not want to complain and cause grief for the overworked stewards as our only "issue" came up the last night as we were packing. We were in a deluxe suite and as we went through all the drawers and cabinets, we found a "laundry bag" far back in the corner cabinet. Didn't look familiar, but thought how else could it be there if it wasn't ours. Trust me, it wasn't... moldy underwear! So gross. I probably would have mentioned it if it had been earlier in the cruise. I know they have to rush so much on embarkation day. Our stewards on that particular cruise were not overly friendly either and were definitely overworked. We also noticed the verandah was always "salty" and never appeared to be cleaned. In contrast, we were on the Rotterdam (dlx.suite) to Hawaii over Christmas and the stewards were VERY personable and our cabin and verandah were immaculate. The nicest experience was a few months prior on the Ryndam when our stewards both wrote us personal thank yous for the gratuities we left. So thoughtful!

I read here all the time about Hal being such a deal. Every year we go for 10 days in a superior veranda and end up spending a minimum of $7500 on the trip , including travel costs

For that , I could rent a condo in a Florida resort for 2 months !

I really don't think it's so cheap unless maybe you get one of those little rooms where one person has to wait in the hall while the other gets dressed .

Hey Frank...Think you forgot something...:D:D;)

When was the last time you priced rooms in a resort area in Fla...We live in a resort area & you would never get a condo to include food, food preparation & serving, dishes washed & dried, transportation, condo cleaning, towels & sheets washed & dried, beds made & turned down daily for $7500 for two months..Don't even think you could get all that for one month..

Rooms at the Marriott in Marco Island are running $499 to $629 a night Including Breakfast but not lunch or dinner...

Last night we had a simple dinner on Captiva island (just beyond Sanibel)..I had a cup of chowder & a fried grouper dinner & DH had Fried shripmp..We each had a glass of wine...The check with a 20% tip was $72.00...Multiply that for 60 days it's $4300 more..Lunch for two in a resort area would be approx $30.00 x 60 days..That's $1800.

Of course in a condo you can purchase your own food, cook it, wash your own dishes, clean your own condo, make your own beds & wash your own sheets & towels..But that is work for either you or your significant other..Isn't that worth something.. You are on Vacation, why would you want to work..

Believe me $7500 for 10 days is a bargain!

Just adding my 2cents..

Cheers...Betty

I am just confused by this idea of not complaining about a dirty cabin to protect the cabin stewards. They could be slacking off. Or they may not have enough time to clean it properly. But y not speaking up you aren't doing anything to improve things.

On a holland shop only a very small percentage are paying top dollar.

They are making up the slack for the majority of economy cruisers who are paying many times under 100 pp. Your splurge dollars are enabeling the ship to offer the cheap digs, not in giving you service !

This is why I consider it folly to book a suite on Holland, your paying about what you would on a Luxury line like Regent, but getting mass market service. The presidental suite at motel 6 even if they charge $400 a night is not going to be very good.....

I love Holland, but it is what it is, a middle of the road nice ship. It is nor never will be anywhere near Luxury... like Regent/Crystal

This is a generalization that holds water...because its reality.

If you want service and staff, and you are seeking it on a regular ship, you will never get it... no matter how much you pay or in what cabin you stay in. Me in my inside in the Bilge get the same service of the penthouse passenger when we sit in the bar or Lido./Dining room...Outside of the room you are just an economy passenger in reality.

This is why I consider it folly to book a suite on Holland, your paying about what you would on a Luxury line like Regent, but getting mass market service. The presidental suite at motel 6 even if they charge $400 a night is not going to be very good.....

I love Holland, but it is what it is, a middle of the road nice ship. It is nor never will be anywhere near Luxury... like Regent/Crystal.

Wow I had no idea that Motel 6 had a Presidental Suite............what have I been missing:eek:

Hey Frank...Think you forgot something...:D:D;)

When was the last time you priced rooms in a resort area in Fla...We live in a resort area & you would never get a condo to include food, food preparation & serving, dishes washed & dried, transportation, condo cleaning, towels & sheets washed & dried, beds made & turned down daily for $7500 for two months..Don't even think you could get all that for one month..

Rooms at the Marriott in Marco Island are running $499 to $629 a night Including Breakfast but not lunch or dinner...

Last night we had a simple dinner on Captiva island (just beyond Sanibel)..I had a cup of chowder & a fried grouper dinner & DH had Fried shripmp..We each had a glass of wine...The check with a 20% tip was $72.00...Multiply that for 60 days it's $4300 more..Lunch for two in a resort area would be approx $30.00 x 60 days..That's $1800.

Of course in a condo you can purchase your own food, cook it, wash your own dishes, clean your own condo, make your own beds & wash your own sheets & towels..But that is work for either you or your significant other..Isn't that worth something.. You are on Vacation, why would you want to work..

Believe me $7500 for 10 days is a bargain!

Just adding my 2cents..

Cheers...Betty

Hi Betty , I agree the Marriott on Marco is overpriced , I've been there . But compare apples to apples . Do the math based on 10 days using your examples , I only come up with $6010

for 10 days on land at $499 hotel ( pricey) $72 dinners ( reasonable) $30 lunch ( a bargain) and of course you get maid service for $499 a night .

Try the Bella Sera in Naples , for $300 you will get a 2 bedroom condo with great service .

No , I don't think the cruise is so cheap, unless as I said , you stay in a little tiny room where 2 people can't walk around at the same time . Cheers !

REALLY????????????? Maybe for you the prices are that good not for us.

Not everyone wants to stay in an inside suite as you do.

Some like balconies - some have restricted vacations and have to book in advance to get their time off

And frankly I wouldn't compare HAL to a FORD (fix or repair daily) any day of the week.

i don't think people sailing the line expect a Mercedes. Just good service and HAL overall has done a good job of that on our cruises

Jacqui, I would hardly want to refer to an 'inside' as a 'suite'! :D (And I do love those less expensive, quieter, cooler, darker 'suites', (staterooms)! ;)

On a 2 week cruise in March on Maasdam, I had a small spillage accident on the bed. Nothing worth alerting the steward about, but I could tell if the linens (mostly my pillow case) were changed. I spilled the coffee (again, small stain) on the first Wednesday or Thursday of our trip.

I anticipated it disappearing somewhere around the midway point of our cruise. It did not until the second Wednesday. I was surprised that it was so near the end of the two weeks that the linens were finally changed.

At home, I change the sheets biweekly. I didn't think it was a big deal, but after I noted the pillowcase was still stained midway (Sunday afternoon), I was watching to see if the bed linens were ever swapped.

I'm just putting this out there as proof that things have slipped a bit, and I also attribute it to asking too much of too few people.

I've never found any balconies I've had on HAL to be clean. I think the worst one was a suite. The one balcony I had on Princess was spotless. I know the stewards are equally spread thin on Princess.

It is rare on our cruises to find our verandah cleaned each day -- especially on the larger ships. The plexiglass was always dirty.

I finally got a couple of pool towels and cleaned it myself.

We always keep our cabin neat -- just like our home.

Everything is put away.

We have also walked by cabins that were very messy and wonder what their homes look like.

Then on our recent Maasdam cruises -- in the dining room -- the waiter takes your drink order -- not the wine steward any more. The wine stewards now handle only the selling of bottles of wine -- not even glasses of wine. By doing this they were able to cut out 4 wine stewards in the dining room. This is to be fleet wide very soon.

On one of our more recent HAL cruises, Maasdam or Veendam, we were told that the wine stewards were going away. So, it sounds partially correct. So, the dining room steward takes the cocktail type of drink order, and the wine steward takes wine orders. Correct??

Okay, so if you have a bottle of wine left over from a previous night, who is responsible for getting it to the table and doing glass refills. Just curious as we do open seating dining and are cruising next week on the Maasdam.

We had a cabin on the Navigation deck..a small suite toward the stern. Guess the OP didn't have Bhudi as his or her steward.

Wow, yes Bhudi is great. Last time we saw him though, he was supervisor of cabin cleaning............have no idea what the actual title is. :o I believe that was on the Maasdam last fall. He's great. We first ran onto him on the Volendam two years ago, I think. That is, assuming it's the same Bhudi. :D

Archived