Fly Into JFK or EWR??

candydane

I'm trying to decide whether to fly from Portland OR airport (PDX) into JFK or EWR airport for our cruise next April. I know it's too early to buy our airline tickets but we want to use frequent flyer miles for non-stop, 1-way tickets as soon as they're available (before they're gone!).

We'll be flying in late Saturday afternoon and cruising out on Sunday. We don't plan to do any sightseeing pre-cruise.

What are the pros & cons of either airport? We'll need a hotel for 1 night and transportation between airport, hotel, and cruise pier.

From what I've read, sounds like hotels can be cheaper near Newark airport but mixed reviews of transportation costs. Convenience?

Any suggestions? Recommendations?

You're sailing out of Manhattan on the NCL Pearl?

The problem really is the hotel. Typically no one is recommending hotels at JFK on this board, so you have to look at other choices in Manhattan, Brooklyn, or Queens. This means not only paying for the hotel, but paying for a cab to the hotel and then from the hotel to the port.

I'd seriously consider flying into Newark. There will be a much larger pool of hotels to choose from at reasonable prices. You can book a car service to Manhattan in the $70-90 range. Your other option is to take your hotel shuttle back to the airport and pick up the airport bus to Manhattan for $16/pp. This is scheduled at 30-40 minutes depending on which terminal you leave from. You get off at Port Authority Bus Terminal (outside on street drop off) and take a cab to the pier - around $10.

It's probably too soon to book a hotel, but look at the Courtyard Elizabeth, Country Inns, and Residence Inn. These hotels are on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth next to Jersey Gardens Mall which has shops, movies, and a food court. All the other airport hotels are in more isolated locations - basically you're stuck there until you leave the next morning.

What is the difference in airfare price?

As 138east posted, hotels at JFK SUCK!!! They are VERY often used for emergency housing for homeless, domestic violence and drug busts where someone is left without a home, especially with kids.

BUT it will cost you $70-90 for a car service EACH WAY from a hotel at EWR. AND it will cost you just about the same when you figure time and HASSLE taking the recommended bus ($26-28 RT x 2 PLUS taxi both ways from the Port Authority to the port AND the hassle of schlepping luggage into the EWR hotel shuttle, going up and down the escalators at EWR to get to T-4 to get to the bus). Horrible, horrible idea IMHO if you are sailing out of Manhattan. I HATE EWR-sucks as an airport and transport options are limited and expensive to those sailing out of Manhattan.

My recommendation-fly into JFK IF the price is competitive. Then take a car service or taxi to the LGA area (LaGuardia airport) and spend the night. VERY decent hotels in the area-my favorite is the LaGuardia Plaza (a full service hotel that used to be the Crowne Plaza with all the amenities-full service restaurant, a great bar on the weekends, room service and a business center if you need to send a fax or use the computer). This hotel is a BIG business traveler hotel during the week but relatively MT on the weekends and on the weekends, you can usually get a 3+ *** room here or at the Marriott across the street for about $125.00 per night.

$30-35 for car service from JFK to LGA. Then another $30-35 to the NY port.

You have spent about $70 for car service. You have NOT had to schlepp luggage from hotel to hotel van to the airport, onto a bus, then into a taxi.

I think staying in the Newark area is a bust and a LOT of schlepping luggage and yourselves back and forth IF the JFK airfare is the same or less than flying into EWR and you are cruising out of NYC.

Gina - they are using FF miles and doing this one way only. They are sailing to the West Coast via the Panama Canal. It sounds like their airline does not fly non stop to LGA.

I think it's a toss up. For $70- 80 I think they can get transportation to NY one way from Newark and only do one trip instead of a trip to LGA and then another to Manhattan. They're from Portland which is a much more low key area than NY as I have discovered in the last two years since my daughter moved there. My advice for them is KISS.

If you fly into EWR you could take their airtrain (free tram) to NJ Transit train to NY Penn station. There are many hotels in the area and then it's a very short cab ride to the port. You can do a view of NYC hotels and just look for ones a bit north of NY Penn station.

Though we live an hour from the NY port, we usually take the train in and then the taxi.

Gina - they are using FF miles and doing this one way only. They are sailing to the West Coast via the Panama Canal. It sounds like their airline does not fly non stop to LGA.

I think it's a toss up. For $70- 80 I think they can get transportation to NY one way from Newark and only do one trip instead of a trip to LGA and then another to Manhattan. They're from Portland which is a much more low key area than NY as I have discovered in the last two years since my daughter moved there. My advice for them is KISS.

Miles or money-I personally still wouldn't fly into EWR and stay in that area to cruise out of Manhattan.

Getting a taxi from JFK to LGA is very, very easy. And staying over by LGA provides a MUCH better hotel experience than either JFK or Newark. You will have to stay at the LaGuardia Plaza one night to see what I mean-full service hotel with a fancy dining room and a very lively bar with good food at a relatively inexpensive price on the weekends. They couldn't be nicer and really, really cater to customers. MUCH different than those chain hotels around EWR.

To me, there is nothing like waking up in the NYC area and driving over one of the bridges into Manhattan and looking at the skyline. Don't get that in Jersey-you get industrial crap to look at for miles and miles, then get to go through the tunnel where you see nothing. JMHO but a lot depends on where they can get FF tickets to.

You're sailing out of Manhattan on the NCL Pearl?

Yes.

I'd seriously consider flying into Newark. There will be a much larger pool of hotels to choose from at reasonable prices. You can book a car service to Manhattan in the $70-90 range. Your other option is to take your hotel shuttle back to the airport and pick up the airport bus to Manhattan for $16/pp. This is scheduled at 30-40 minutes depending on which terminal you leave from. You get off at Port Authority Bus Terminal (outside on street drop off) and take a cab to the pier - around $10.

Unless it changes when flights are available, it will be EWR. Is the "airport bus to Manhattan" the AirTrain Newark? Is there a place to put our 2 suitcases like on regular airport shuttles? Where at EWR do you suggest we have the hotel shuttle drop us to catch the train?

It's probably too soon to book a hotel, but look at the Courtyard Elizabeth, Country Inns, and Residence Inn. These hotels are on Glimcher Realty Way in Elizabeth next to Jersey Gardens Mall which has shops, movies, and a food court. All the other airport hotels are in more isolated locations - basically you're stuck there until you leave the next morning.

These hotels look good. I'll check again in a month or so when rooms are available.

Thanks everyone.

Unless it changes when flights are available, it will be EWR. Is the "airport bus to Manhattan" the AirTrain Newark? Is there a place to put our 2 suitcases like on regular airport shuttles? Where at EWR do you suggest we have the hotel shuttle drop us to catch the train?

No, the AirTrain is just the intra-airport monorail that will take you to the NJTransit/Amtrak Northeast Corridor rail line, where you will have to board a NJ Transit train that will take you to New York Penn Station.

http://www.panynj.gov/airports/pdf/ewr-airtrain-brochure-english.pdf

The airport express bus takes you from the airline terminals at EWR to Manhattan, adjacent to Port Authority Bus Terminal.

http://www.coachusa.com/olympia/ss.newarkairport.asp

Hotel courtesy shuttle services to the airport normally drop you off at the P4 AirTrain station.

Oh my! Coming from the West Coast, I have no experience with those kinds of connections! :eek:

I'll have to sit down and try to plot it out. I'm sure it's easy if you know what you're doing.

Worst case if I can't get my head comfortably around the transfers, we'll just spend the money to take a car or taxi from our hotel directly to the pier.

Thanks again.

I hare JFK its the crappiest airport around I only use it if I have to International across the pond. The area around the airport real dicey trust me(Queens gal) Try a flight out of LGA or EWR.

LGA & EWR hotel situation is much better, than JFK!! If EWR is your other option then fly there. Did i mention I hate JFK airport:D

Tell us how you really feel! I'm with you on this one. I'm partial to Newark. It has good access by road and by train plus frequent bus service to NY. There is a wide selection of acceptable hotels (as well as some not so acceptable). But it's still an airport and it's still in Newark.

Candydane,

Another option is to take a cab from your hotel to Newark Penn Station, take the train to New York Penn Station, and take a cab to the pier. This eliminates the hassle of the hotel shuttle and monorail and should only cost about $10 more.

Archived