Where to go on next River Cruise!!

amd1234

We have a special Anniversary next May so I have some time to do some research. We took our first River Cruise AMA in 2007 on the Danube. We loved the entire trip but we were really disappointed in the food. We are reluctant to take another AMA cruise. Could I have some feedback on this issue. Has the food improved? We are looking into the Paris itinerary we loved Barcelona and I would love to hear from cruisers with some suggestions. Also what month? We did the Danube in June and the weather was great..:D

I'm going to repeat my response to your query that disappeared. I don't know why the host deleted an entry!

Anyway, Tauck will not disappoint on food; remember, however, that food is the most subjective part of evaluating a cruise experience,

No matter what, imo, river food does not measure up to ocean food.

I do agree that food is very subjective... I think that much can depend on the chef him/herself as it does on the actual cruise line.

We sailed with AMA on the Danube in 2009. We found the food very satisfactory - some meals better than others. Our issue was with the service in the dining room - as the almost all of the wait staff were brand new... (ie: arrived on the boat when we did).

My preference for cruising is in September - but I would be willing to try June. I would try to stay clear of the summer months - purely for the reason of the crowds.

I don't think you can go wrong with any cruise that starts or ends in Paris...:D

Fran

I totally agree Fran particularly about the food being very subjective. We loved our food on our Tauck cruise last September (the weather was almost perfect) but as I said in our review we're not "foodies". Looking at our current saving plan we should be able to river cruise again in 2014 the year of our 40th wedding anniversary and we will take a French cruise. I have to admit that I fell in love with Paris and can't wait to go back. Tauck look to have two great cruises in Southern France and we have a long time to make our decision on which one to take.

Rod

We sailed on the Amalyra in Dec. 2010. The food was wonderful and the presentations were stunning.

We had the same experience on AmaDante. In addition to very good food, we found the service to be excellent in the dining room, the best of any of our river cruises.

<No matter what, imo, river food does not measure up to ocean food.>

For us, the food on AMA and also on Avalon Affinity and Luminary was significantly better than the premium cruise lines we have been on including Celebrity, HAL and Princess unless you are comparing to the surcharge restaurants which are so much better than the main dining rooms.

We had the same experience on AmaDante. In addition to very good food, we found the service to be excellent in the dining room, the best of any of our river cruises.

<No matter what, imo, river food does not measure up to ocean food.>

For us, the food on AMA and also on Avalon Affinity and Luminary was significantly better than the premium cruise lines we have been on including Celebrity, HAL and Princess unless you are comparing to the surcharge restaurants which are so much better than the main dining rooms.

Interesting comment.

My only concern would be, in my experience, that the quality of a menu to some people might equate to choice and selection, and I think it's unreasonable to expect the kitchen of a river boat to provide as much in these areas as that of an ocean/sea ship.

On a more subjective level, on our river cruises (Uniworld and Viking) we would not rate the food as "significantly better" than on HAL or Celebrity. But perhaps it's time to try Avalon and AMA.

Our 15th river was with AMAwaterways just before Christmas last year--during the LOW water time. Port of Budapest was closed to all water traffic. Amalegro was berthed about 45 minutes away. It was a wonderful trip--great attention to detail in cabins, dining room and the rest of the ship. We sailed the entire trip and in Regensberg found about 10 boats not moving. With all the bells and whistles on the newer boats, the draft has to be deeper. If I were travelling for a very special occasion, would look carefully at some of the newer boats on all the lines before making up my mind. Something that would include time in Paris would say romance to me---maybe time pre or post trip. Good luck finding that perfect for you trip. Pat

Being a foodie my comment was based on " how does river food compare to Regent or Silversea" my ocean lines of choice. We are Tauck fans but because of size limitations even the superb food on Tauck does not measure up. Wine-yes, food-no:cool:

Archived