Sailaway Bands. Yes or No since April 2012?

LibraLass41

There has been a lot of discussion in the past few weeks about sailaway bands, has anyone sailed this month and returned? Have sailaway bands been discontinued or not from April 2012 - new season?

Please can anyone confirm if this is a rumour or true cost cutting ?

CPS - change

I have used CPS car parking at the docks about 13 times now is past 6 years and we always had sent a car key fob which we wrote our Car reg number on and put keys on ready to hand over, and a ship name window sticker for the car.

I have not received either for my cruise in just under 3 weeks. I found a option to print off on A4 computer paper a ships car window poster (how cheap and tacky) but never rec/d anything in the post like 'the old days' Have printed off booking form to take with me too.

Have the key fob and coloured sticky window car sticker now been discontinued?

They don't use key fobs now. It's all computerised. You don't get the pink piece of paper either, just a small receipt.

They greet you by name when you draw up by putting the car registration in.....assuming you are in the same car as when you booked.

I just booked my parking for the big sail day in July as we did not have free parking. I just printed off my "sticker".

Brian

You don't need key fobs and haven't for a year now. They will put a bar code on the windscreen and keys on arrival.

i'm on azura at the moment and you're book sold out last cruise nice to see you on the dvd tho.

i don't recall seeing a sailaway band when we left southampton i will ask others on the cruise as we were late leaving i was getting ready for dinner.

this is my 1st time on p&o only previously sailed celebrity eclipse ocean cruise terminal is a nightmare when you have used city we were late leaving because they couldn't process the passenger i don't know who it's down to p&o or the port but there was only about 20-30 operators to check you in when at city its at least double if not treble that which reduces the q's.

I must say I enjoy the bands and find it amusing to see the band running to get home for their tea once we have reached a stategic distance from the dock. If they are to be axed I find it a great shame.

However, Page 3 of the the new Pando brochure states, and I quote

" as the brass band on the quayside strikes up to signal the start of your adventure, you can raise a glass and anticipate all the sights and sounds that

YOU CAN'T WAIT to experience "

So presumably if you are anticipating a signal to start your adventure, anticipate you not, for it presumably, if its true, the band won't be there.

Jimmy

I haven't cruised for a year (went to Lake Garda and Cyprus last year instead!), And on the last cruise I did in March 2011 someone else drove... so thats for the uptodate info on no key fobs and window stickers... I shall cellotape my white computer paper sign on wind screen:( yuk

Bands, a shame if they have been discontinued, whatever next, po biscuits with the tea tray, only 1 toilet roll to last the whole cruise....shame shame shame on you P&O... Oh well no need to go to the so say 'sailaway party ' now if no band, oh. wait a minute , must go for my free glass of champagne!!! Kindly offered to me now after taking away the Sapphire party when we would of had a few g&t's or a glass of wine which we prefer anyway....wow (not):rolleyes:

i'm on azura at the moment and you're book sold out last cruise nice to see you on the dvd tho.

i don't recall seeing a sailaway band when we left southampton i will ask others on the cruise as we were late leaving i was getting ready for dinner.

this is my 1st time on p&o only previously sailed celebrity eclipse ocean cruise terminal is a nightmare when you have used city we were late leaving because they couldn't process the passenger i don't know who it's down to p&o or the port but there was only about 20-30 operators to check you in when at city its at least double if not treble that which reduces the q's.

Thanks Philipsw285. That's good to know it's popular.

I hope the band continues - i always enjoy it, and make a point of going down to the Promenade deck (much close than the Lido deck) to listen and show my appreciation.

When we sailed away on Ventura almost year ago, for some reason the final departure was delayed after the line untying had started - we were still at the quayside for about 15 minutes. So the band had to keep playing, and playing, and playing.... They got a big hand when we did get moving!

P&O say its down to the shore side company to book a band... :confused:

But booking in works well with no key fob its all done on a hand held Itron type thing.. much like the Parcel delivery people use... they can go by your car reg.. not long before you wont need a window display either. We booked into an air port car park on line and got NOTHING .:eek:. when we arrived the barrier went up and we got a ticket from it showing our booking !!!!!!!!! it had booked us in via our car reg...

Much like CPS do with the hand held terminal.

We did not get a window sticker last time we cruised, it was an error on their part but it did not cause them or us any problems on the day.

When we last used the Euro Tunnel about 18 months ago we had to through an automatic ticket validation booth, the machine having read the reg number as we drove up our details were all there on the screen waiting for us, most surreal. The CPS crew use a similar portable system to recognise our cars.

We enjoy the bands at sailaway and would be sad to see them go. We have missed them when we have sailed from Southampton with outer cruise lines.

I returned from a cruise to the Canaries on Venura 2 days ago and I did not see or hear any brass band. It was my first cruise experience so I am unable to compare with what may have gone before. I used another car parking facility so cannot comment on your other question. Hope this helps.

I hope not we loved it when we left Southampton and was one of the things that made our sailaway so special and why we'd go wit P&O again.

If they've discontinued this tradition they've just given us yet another reason to go with someone else from Southampton ...

:(:(

Archived